Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2890706 - 11/17/17 01:13 AM Sire Marcus Miller Bass
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
There have been other threads on this, but it's been long enough that I wonder if some of you could give a current review. I was very interested at the time and it seems prices have maybe gone up, but I've only heard good reviews.

this is the one I want.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

BP Island
#2890789 - 11/17/17 09:11 AM Re: Sire Marcus Miller Bass [Re: J. Dan]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.
Couple of questions:
What is your dominant playing style? (finger, pick, slap,etc.)
Are you looking for a particular sound? (bright, upright, etc.)
Just to dial in the fit better.

Ooops! Sorry, saw recommendation when it said review. Please ignore.

Edited by Desert Rat (11/17/17 09:21 AM)
Edit Reason: need reading glasses

#2891672 - 11/21/17 10:40 AM Re: Sire Marcus Miller Bass [Re: Desert Rat]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
My bass teacher picked up one of the earlier models. Played on it for a few bars, and it felt really comfortable and definitely felt more expensive than it was (think he paid EUR 299 or 399). It did feel very modern, which may or may not be a good thing - and is very subjective, I suppose.

Having said that, I have the Fender Marcus Miller and absolutely love it, too. The guy endorses good stuff! smile

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

#2891776 - 11/21/17 05:29 PM Re: Sire Marcus Miller Bass [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Yeah $699 puts it into a different bucket for me than when they were $499. My only basses now are an '81 Steinberger XL2 and a Michael Kelly AEB. I like the Fender Jazz but also like modern active pickups and easy playability. I have no 5-string. So I kind of thought something like this might check all the boxes and round out my collection. I'm no longer playing bass full time in a band, so it's hard to justify a purchase other than I want it. I just bought 2 guitars (a Takamine acoustic and a fender MIM HSS Strat) and am about to pull the trigger in a combo guitar amp. Considering I'm a keyboard player, I may be getting out of hand with the stringed instrument purchases, but I find that to be the biggest potential for growth and inspiration for me. In fact, I have about a half dozen keyboards I plan on selling to fund all of this.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.