Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2890352 - 11/14/17 09:09 PM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: theGman]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Originally Posted By: theGman
I stood in line once at Carlisle car show to use a porta-potty ? toilet once, but soon gave up and walked behind a tree. I felt better, and the tree didn't mind. It was a good day to be a man.

Google "go girl". Women can now write their names in the snow now, too!

KC Island
#2890355 - 11/14/17 09:15 PM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: EscapeRocks]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace
I camped out all night to get tickets to this very Rolling Stones concert:
(I'm in the stands on the right in that picture.)

I missed the tail end of it because I had to drive to my own gig in northern Arizona two hours away, but I really enjoyed being there.

Best,

Geoff

This is the Stones concert I went to in '81! Cool!
Sun Devil Stadium

I was living in Tucson at the time.

How about that? Small world! I'd bet our paths crossed more than once back then, David!

It sounds like you drove about as far to get to that concert as I did to reach my gig in Prescott afterward.

Was that Police concert you went to in '82 the one at the Arizona State Fair with XTC as the warm up act? If so, I was there too.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2890359 - 11/14/17 09:47 PM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: Geoff Grace]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

Only at the supermarket checkout. And if it looks like it's more than a few minutes or a few people ahead of me, I'm outta there. I do not wait in line for anything else.

#2890360 - 11/14/17 09:58 PM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: theGman]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
I *inadvertently* stood in line for the new IPad one year. Was walking by Best Buy and saw three dorky looking guys lined up. I asked what they were there for.
"IPad comes out today."
"What time?"
"10" (or whatever)
"But it's 20 'til. Where is everyone?"
"That's why we're here, most people are at the mall. I hear the line is 1.5 hours long there."
"So...I get behind you and wait 20 minutes for the new IPad."
"Yup."

So I did. They let us in a few minutes early, and there were more than 4 guys handing out IPads, so I was out the door with the brand new IPad basically before they were even officially on sale, and certainly before the rest of the state of California had gotten inside whatever store they were going to.

#2890362 - 11/14/17 10:42 PM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: MathOfInsects]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Never needed or wanted anything bad enough to stand in line for it. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2890385 - 11/15/17 05:33 AM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: ProfD]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
I remember the lines at major parks like Disneyworld but I don't have the patience for them anymore. The one and only time I went to Black Friday was when I was married, I absolutely hated it (the marriage sucked too). Last year I stood in a long line of people at this very popular restaurant that serves maple syrup during maple season, and I caught a bad flu virus from someone there.

I avoid long lines whenever possible.

#2890387 - 11/15/17 05:53 AM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: zukskywalker]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: zukskywalker
I remember the lines out the door for the old Veneman's annual Presidents Day sales.
Very slim pickings if you got there late.
(Could be interesting if GC picked up on this.)

Actually, I remember waiting outside for few minutes before the local GC opened for their Black Friday sale. That was back in 2007... there wasn't much of a line though.

Anyway, I had a 20% coupon and bought the Korg M3. It was already marked down and then I got 20% off of the sale price. Yay!

#2890445 - 11/15/17 10:24 AM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: Synthoid]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

concert tickets and midnight record releases.

#2890446 - 11/15/17 10:34 AM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: Geoff Grace]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
I camped out all night to get tickets to this very Rolling Stones concert:
(I'm in the stands on the right in that picture.)

I missed the tail end of it because I had to drive to my own gig in northern Arizona two hours away, but I really enjoyed being there.

Best,

Geoff

This is the Stones concert I went to in '81! Cool!
Sun Devil Stadium

I was living in Tucson at the time.

How about that? Small world! I'd bet our paths crossed more than once back then, David!

It sounds like you drove about as far to get to that concert as I did to reach my gig in Prescott afterward.

Was that Police concert you went to in '82 the one at the Arizona State Fair with XTC as the warm up act? If so, I was there too.

Best,

Geoff

I saw them at the original Compton Terrace up there. Was that near the fair? (Alas it was torn down in 1983 and moved to Firebird raceway, and then torn down again.)

#2890449 - 11/15/17 10:44 AM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: EscapeRocks]
mauriziodececco Offline

Loc: France
Does Pizza count :-> ?

#2890451 - 11/15/17 10:53 AM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: mauriziodececco]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: mauriziodececco
Does Pizza count :-> ?

like cheers

#2890472 - 11/15/17 01:40 PM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: EscapeRocks]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

I saw them at the original Compton Terrace up there. Was that near the fair? (Alas it was torn down in 1983 and moved to Firebird raceway, and then torn down again.)

Compton Terrace was a nice venue. I saw a number of concerts there, but not the Police.

The State Fair was in downtown Phoenix at the Fairgrounds surrounding the Coliseum. XTC and the Police played indoors at the Coliseum (where the Suns used to play). Tickets were the cost of admission to the fair, which was $5.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2890474 - 11/15/17 01:42 PM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: Geoff Grace]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
XTC and the Police played indoors at the Coliseum

wow. would have loved to have seen that. Really dug XTC, never saw them.

#2890491 - 11/15/17 02:56 PM Re: OT: Have you ever lined up to buy something? [Re: Geoff Grace]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas

The State Fair was in downtown Phoenix at the Fairgrounds surrounding the Coliseum. XTC and the Police played indoors at the Coliseum (where the Suns used to play). Tickets were the cost of admission to the fair, which was $5.
Best,

Geoff

Very cool.

With the exception of the Stones and Police, all those other shows I attended in Tucson, at the Tucson Convention Center. (and one at UA Mckale Center).

Lining up/camping out for tickets was an event in itself. As I said previously, just a fun, good time.

Okay enough of the reminiscing, makes me feel old grin

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner