Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2890161 - 11/14/17 01:24 AM Nice version of Chega De Saudade
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
I've been playing this tune lately and came upon this video of Chick Corea and Gary Burton playing what must be Chick's arrangement of it. Outstanding.

KC Island
#2890162 - 11/14/17 01:29 AM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: Floyd Tatum]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
Great version, thanks for sharing!

#2890163 - 11/14/17 02:35 AM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: Rod S]
Sospiri Offline

Loc: Crete, Greece
I've been listening to this version for a few years and it is without doubt the best IMHO!

Edited by Sospiri (11/14/17 02:36 AM)

#2890224 - 11/14/17 09:56 AM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: Sospiri]
SteinwayB Offline

Amazing playing; surprised Chick looks like he is reading the chart. Thought he would have memorized it decades ago!

#2890234 - 11/14/17 10:32 AM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: SteinwayB]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I was just about to post, man that Yamaha is bright (actually it sort of hurts my ears) , then I noticed it was a Bosendorfer. The CFX sounds darker and not as thin as that. Not a Bosendorfer fan , at least for Jazz, in case you couldn't tell. wink

Great changes/arrangement and of course playing. And they were blowing over the re-harmed changes. They nailed the unison lines on this very involved arrangement. I love those series of ascending chords before the bridge.

I heard them at the Bowl some years ago on a Chick Tribute night. They had him in various contexts - electric band, the acoustic band with Gadd and Eddie Gomez. The Duo context which led off the concert was my favorite segment of the evening.

So sorry to hear Gary retired from live playing. Getting old sucks. frown Their Duo playing in a sense re-defined that particular context.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2890241 - 11/14/17 11:02 AM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: Dave Ferris]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
I was just about to post, man that Yamaha is bright (actually it sort of hurts my ears) , then I noticed it was a Bosendorfer. The CFX sounds darker and not as thin as that. Not a Bosendorfer fan , at least for Jazz, in case you couldn't tell. wink

Great changes/arrangement and of course playing. And they were blowing over the re-harmed changes. They nailed the unison lines on this very involved arrangement. I love those series of ascending chords before the bridge.

I heard them at the Bowl some years ago on a Chick Tribute night. They had him in various contexts - electric band, the acoustic band with Gadd and Eddie Gomez. The Duo context which led off the concert was my favorite segment of the evening.

So sorry to hear Gary retired from live playing. Getting old sucks. frown Their Duo playing in a sense re-defined that particular context.

Agree with all your comments, Dave. I also especially like the descending (ascending? maybe both) chords before the bridge.

Not sure if I agree about the Bosendorfer being too bright, but I've only listened on my laptop speakers, which are all of about 1" big!

I wasn't aware that Gary retired from playing. Hey, no-one gets out of here alive, as I just heard someone say on NPR yesterday.

#2890242 - 11/14/17 11:05 AM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: SteinwayB]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: SteinwayB
Amazing playing; surprised Chick looks like he is reading the chart. Thought he would have memorized it decades ago!

This was from 2011, I think they recorded it in 2012. Maybe Chick recorded it earlier than that? I'm not sure. Do you know of an earlier recording? This might be from soon after Chick wrote this arrangement?

#2890264 - 11/14/17 12:48 PM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: Floyd Tatum]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I can't listen at work, but from the picture alone, I am pretty sure that is the performance I hunted down a few months ago by the same duo, that had me mesmerized (along with that entire concert).

I was using it to try to make a final decision about whether to eventually buy a vibraphone or a marimba. I'm still torn!

#2890279 - 11/14/17 01:41 PM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Fantastic. The older I get the more I am floored by great performances like these. Such a creative arrangement and a masterclass in vibes and piano playing together.

#2890336 - 11/14/17 06:14 PM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: Bobadohshe]
Paul Harrison Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Gary Burton solo 1971

#2890367 - 11/15/17 12:13 AM Re: Nice version of Chega De Saudade [Re: Paul Harrison]
Floyd Tatum Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Paul Harrison
Gary Burton solo 1971

Thanks for that, Paul. This is the 'normal' (ha!), i.e. non-Chick version of the song.

Gary is un-effin-believable. Honestly, I'm amazed that he is able to get those sounds out of a vibraphone. His left hand is insane. His right hand is crazy. The combination of both hands is... let's break out of this cuckoo's nest, man! Hand me that tub room control panel!

Edited by Floyd Tatum (11/15/17 03:39 PM)
Edit Reason: add clever literary reference

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner