Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2890098 - 11/13/17 01:06 PM Tarilonte's Accordions 2 library upgrade is out
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I couldn't find the older posting; it must have been many years ago by now. Anyway, the new library probably deserves its own thread.

This weekend, I paid the upgrade price at Best Service for Tarilonte's Accordions 2 library, which adds four more accordions to the original library (including a French Musette) and totally overhauls the GUI.

So far, I hate it, and the user manual is no help. I can't get close to the same sound with the Bandoneon as in the original library, and can't figure out why, as I tweaked every control I could think of and even changed MIDI note length and the like, to no avail.

The new interface is ugly and hard to read, and also takes up too much vertical screen space, for no reason. It replaces a very intuitive interface that allows direct editing and readout of parameter values, with an obtuse one that does not show the values.

Perhaps they'll flesh out the user manual soon, to explain how one can get the new user controls to show their values?

I'm not currently using any MIDI CC's with the Bandoneon (but I am with other accordions), so that wasn't the issue. It does default MIDI CC 1 to Volume (this is for Bellows Volume BTW), but the actual GUI itself is confusing as to the two controls in the center of the interface. Which is which? The thinner one on the right changes during play; the wider one does not so must be MIDI CC driven.

I have not tried the four new accordions yet as I was so hung up on not being able to use the new version of the library for the older accordions. If they are truly compatible, the user manual needs to be fleshed out to explain how, as it says very little overall.

To be clear, the Bandoneon in the new version may use the same samples, but the Kontakt scripting must be VERY different, because it doesn't phrase properly, drops notes, ends notes abruptly, etc., even if I massage MIDI note lengths and velocities. It is also at least 6 dB quieter than the old version, with all settings the same between the two of them.

I can't imagine that this is anything other than an indicator of a rush to market, as surely if the designers experienced the same issues I am, they would have worked it out. Or perhaps they ONLY tested it live vs. with pre-recorded MIDI. But for those of us who do a lot of composing, we don't necessarily want to re-play every part in full every time we tweak an arrangement.

KC Island
#2890276 - 11/14/17 01:23 PM Re: Tarilonte's Accordions 2 library upgrade is out [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have not spotted any discussions of this upgrade yet, so perhaps it was rushed to be out in time for Thanksgiving sales.

Unfortunately, I have not yet found a solution to the problems I have experienced, which are primarily ones of usability compared to the old version as well as the mystery of not getting even remotely similar results from the same settings, where there is overlap.

I have not yet tried playing Accordions 2 live; just for rendering older MIDI so far. So don't let my review put people off -- this remains the best-recorded accordion library on the market, and now covers a broader range. I am sure the issues I am facing can be easily addressed via an update, or better documentation of the current GUI.

The only other accordions I use are the ones from PSound (currently on sale BTW) and the ones from CMusic, as they cover some interesting models that Tarilonte doesn't, and I actually need those specific sounds (e.g. German button accordion) when doing certain South American styles (Brasilian and Cumbia).

#2890448 - 11/15/17 10:41 AM Re: Tarilonte's Accordions 2 library upgrade is out [Re: Mark Schmieder]
niven8 Offline

Loc: London
Hi,
I was just about to buy this...but I'm greatful for your insight...Having compared this to the Ilya Effimov accordion, I thought this was better. I'd be v grateful if you would keep people updated on your progress with getting things sorted out.
regards
Niven.

#2890532 - 11/15/17 10:42 PM Re: Tarilonte's Accordions 2 library upgrade is out [Re: niven8]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have them all, and this is the best. I just hope we can work through the quirks of the new interface.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner