Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2890071 - 11/13/17 11:18 AM The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales?
scottasin Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Fort Collins CO
So I've got a few things on my GAS list, and given the Holidays are approaching, I figure I oughtta be able to get them on the cheap, thats how these things seem to work these days. When it comes to Musical Instrument distributors, is there a usual frontrunner for biggest discounts or which 'sale season/day' (Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Pre-Christmas/Post-Christmas) tends to have the best deals? Are there distributors with across the board discounts? If I'm gonna spend money, I oughtta try to spend as little as possible, yaknow?

KC Island
#2890079 - 11/13/17 11:34 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: scottasin]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I don't believe us consumers can buy direst from ' distributors' .
I am not referring to little stuff, under $150 things.

Maybe a few actual distis have an Internet store that can be used.

Distis sell to their authorized retailers here in the US for the bigger ticket stuff.

Maybe clarify whats on your wish list. And I am curious if formal distis sell direct to us consumers for medium- big ticket item.

If you are talking standard retail, thats another discussion.

#2890080 - 11/13/17 11:48 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: scottasin]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: scottasin
If I'm gonna spend money, I oughtta try to spend as little as possible, yaknow?

A certain popular music store sends out email coupons on a regular basis if you have ever shopped there. The percentage off is usually 15% or 20%, however, there are so many manufacturer exclusions that it's hardly worth it anymore.

#2890086 - 11/13/17 12:34 PM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Synthoid]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I'm finding better deals at DJ supply stores when I contact them directly (and they stock what I'm interested in).

Most of the time, you can do as well as a coupon if you contact them and negotiate a bit. Sometimes you can do better.

Keys: Nord Piano 2, Electro 4D, DeepMind-12
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2890127 - 11/13/17 03:06 PM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: GregC]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Scott, it depends what you are buying. Black Friday is great for software sales. As far as hardware, if you know exactly what you want, call a retailer on Black Friday and see what they can do for you. Retailers buy from distributors, who buy from manufacturers. There is only so much room for negotiation.

#2890129 - 11/13/17 03:09 PM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: cphollis]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
As mentioned above, the traditional places that had 10-15% off seem to have a lot more exclusions these days.

One thing I found (which I mentioned in a QSC K10.2 thread) is that one of the better known companies has an app which has deals much better than what that same company has on their web site. They seem to get around the manufacturer mandated prices by bundling with other items and hiding it in their app smile An example: I bought a pair of QSC K10.2's with cables and speaker stands for significantly less than the normal price (at the same retailer) for the speakers alone. Makes no sense but I didn't complain.

Edited by Sam Mullins (11/13/17 03:23 PM)
Edit Reason: typos

#2890131 - 11/13/17 03:16 PM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Sam Mullins]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Similar experience here. One of the DJ supply houses has a "membership" enrollment, zero cost and immediate. I priced out my order, signed up, and then I was then automatically sent a revised quote 20% below the "deal" I was offered without the membership.

20% additional off is 20% additional off.

#2890174 - 11/14/17 05:03 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: cphollis]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I would say don't buy anything until the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

#2890180 - 11/14/17 06:13 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: RABid]
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Casio has that $799 PX-5S going on. And Yamaha is throwing in the pricey flash RAM card with the purchase of an MOXF.

#2890201 - 11/14/17 07:43 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Sam Mullins]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sam Mullins
the traditional places that had 10-15% off seem to have a lot more exclusions these days.

That list has grown to a very large paragraph the last time I checked. frown

#2890221 - 11/14/17 09:48 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Synthoid]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
I'm full up on drum sticks, music stands, and guitar straps here.

#2890249 - 11/14/17 11:23 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Synthoid]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Synthoid
the traditional places that had 10-15% off seem to have a lot more exclusions these days.

It's actually quite exciting, and rare, to find a brand you actually want missing from the list.

#2890262 - 11/14/17 12:42 PM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Stokely]
GRollins Offline

Musician's Friend used to send what I called "Wild Card" emails a week or two after I bought things. The discounts in those were as good as and sometimes higher than the usual 10-15% sale prices. The cool thing was that they were (usually) valid on anything that wasn't already on sale.

Sadly, it's been a year or more since I got one of those. Nowadays, they're coming in with the dreaded "Shop Qualifying Products" button, which is as bad as the fine print novel that covers everything you ever wanted to buy.

Grey

#2890324 - 11/14/17 04:51 PM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Stokely]
Mjazz Offline

Loc: CA US
Originally Posted By: Stokely

It's actually quite exciting, and rare, to find a brand you actually want missing from the list.

At least at Guitar Center, my experience has been that they will often honor the coupon even on "excluded" brands. Their explanation is that the listed manufacturers won't let them advertise discounted prices below what's already shown in the item listings, and the coupon would violate that prohibition unless it had the exclusions, but that doesn't prevent them from actually discounting the prices. So don't necessarily assume that all those exclusions really do limit the coupon.

#2890391 - 11/15/17 06:02 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Mjazz]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mjazz
At least at Guitar Center, my experience has been that they will often honor the coupon even on "excluded" brands. Their explanation is that the listed manufacturers won't let them advertise discounted prices below what's already shown in the item listings

With the possible exception of a MacBook Pro.

#2890782 - 11/17/17 08:52 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Synthoid]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

A certain popular music store sends out email coupons on a regular basis if you have ever shopped there. The percentage off is usually 15% or 20%, however, there are so many manufacturer exclusions that it's hardly worth it anymore.

thats true. With the major brands, Roland, Y or Korg- they dictate any promotion on their boards.

I am price shopping for a new Roland FA-06. All dealers are sticking to the mighty MSRP , it seems, give or take $100.

I can get the 36 month zero interest free financing.

But its nebulous if I can shave $300-$400 off the MSRP. I have to wait for Roland to conclude there is too much inventory out there, I suspect. I have no idea if thats the case.

I don't mind waiting for a sharp promo. I might have to wait until next year wink

#2890825 - 11/17/17 11:12 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: RABid]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
Originally Posted By: RABid

My annual problem is that if I wait until Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I start to wonder if I shouldn't wait until after NAMM. Time keeps on slippin' slippin' into the future.

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2890830 - 11/17/17 11:24 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: Barryjam]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Barryjam
Originally Posted By: RABid

My annual problem is that if I wait until Black Friday and Cyber Monday, I start to wonder if I shouldn't wait until after NAMM. Time keeps on slippin' slippin' into the future.

follow the money.

If the manufacturer is cutting prices now, that can be a signal of a ' product transition '. An effort to help the dealer to sell thru his inventory

#2890831 - 11/17/17 11:52 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: GregC]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: GregC

thats true. With the major brands, Roland, Y or Korg- they dictate any promotion on their boards.

I am price shopping for a new Roland FA-06. All dealers are sticking to the mighty MSRP , it seems, give or take $100.

But its nebulous if I can shave $300-$400 off the MSRP. I have to wait for Roland to conclude there is too much inventory out there, I suspect. I have no idea if thats the case.

I don't mind waiting for a sharp promo. I might have to wait until next year wink

Here is a used one for far less than MAP. Coming from a music retailer, it usually means it's a return, so like new
http://www.proaudiostar.com/roland-fa-06-61-key-music-workstation.html

If you call, you might be surprised what they can do.

#2890833 - 11/17/17 11:59 AM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: cphollis]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: cphollis
[quote=scottasin] If I'm gonna spend money, I oughtta try to spend as little as possible, yaknow?

Here is a used one for far less than MAP. Coming from a music retailer, it usually means it's a return, so like new

If you call, you might be surprised what they can do.[/quote]

I appreciate that look up. For a ' like new' I have to convinced the retail salesperson is giving me all the facts. Sometimes they are light hearted or disinterested on history.

I will let you know how this goes- thanks !

#2890840 - 11/17/17 12:16 PM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: GregC]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

I buy used from reputable internet music retailers all the time. I've never, ever been disappointed. Besides, after a few gigs, no one can tell that you didn't buy new.

I think what happens is someone orders, tries it out, gets cold feet or decides not what I thought it was, and sends it immediately back. I stay away from the GC-style "used".

And I get a killer deal in the process.

#2890864 - 11/17/17 02:14 PM Re: The Holidays approach... Usual MI distributor sales? [Re: cphollis]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: cphollis
[quote=scottasin] If I'm gonna spend money, I oughtta try to spend as little as possible, yaknow?

If you call, you might be surprised what they can do.[/quote]

I spoke to Mick, could not get him to be more flexible on price. It appears $879 is close to their cost. I believe this is true.

It was fun talking to him. I like giving my business to the smaller retailer when I can.

Thanks for spotting this FA. Used FA's also show up locally, so I am going to give that
a little more time

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner