Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2890179 - 11/14/17 05:55 AM Re: POLL: Gig with hardware, computer, or both? [Re: yannis D]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: yannis D
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: yannis D
As other member said, there should be another option to the poll for us using both worlds depending on the gig

I know, lots of people will do different things for different gigs, which is why I asked what people use most often. Asking what people may *ever* use would be a different poll. ;-)

You're right
But for some people -like me- it's probably 50-50, so the notion of "most often" does not apply wink

I knew there would be one! ;-)

KC Island
#2890265 - 11/14/17 12:51 PM Re: POLL: Gig with hardware, computer, or both? [Re: Reezekeys]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: hag01
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
My priority is lightweight boards with decent action and operational ergonomics, and having brought those to the gig, the sounds are usually good enough that I don't need to bother with the additional complication of integrating a computer "just" for the sounds. Still, I am periodically tempted.

What is your lightweight gigging board of choice?

Everything is a compromise, so you may get a different answer if you ask on a different day. But for example, to put this in the context of what Reezekeys posted...

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
I've always thought it a plus for a laptop rig that you can load it up with whatever VI & efx plugins you'd need to be covered for any gig. No need to think about what keyboards to bring or leave behind depending on the job. Minimal shlep, maximum sound that's what the laptop does for me. I just had to work at two things: being comfortable playing piano, synth & organ parts on my little unweighted 61-key guy, and getting creative with split points & transpositions for those times I need to cover more than one part simultaneously with my single keyboard. More work on the front end, big reward (imo) at the back end especially when I hear about my musician friends' back surgeries!

Even if I was up for doing a gig on a single board, personally, I wouldn't really enjoy doing it on a 61, either from the perspective of having enough keys for piano or for having enough keys to effectively split without frustration. (I understand, 61 can also be fine for many, it's just not right for me.) So let's say I use a Kurzweil Artis7, which has a 76 key action that I'm okay using for piano as well as organ/synth, decent set of real-time controls, good patch selection, and good MIDI controller functionality. Good choice, right? Well, the sounds in it are mostly good enough for my purposes, so my motivation to add a laptop is reduced, as it only adds to rather than reduces my schlep and setup time.

It is slightly chunky at almost 28 lbs, though. I wish there were more lighter weight 7x options. I'm not happy enough with the actions of the FA-07 or Krome-73, nor do they have all the MIDI functionality of the Artis7 (like the 9 sliders), so the trade-off is pretty noticeable even if I were to use it primarily as a controller. So if I were going to go the one-board-and-a-laptop route, I might go for the Numa Compact 2... super lightweight, 88 keys, decent action, aftertouch. But then I still have to add things if I want, for example, drawbar controls or other knobs for real-time tweaking. And I'd probably need a tablet (unless my laptop were also my tablet) for effective patch selection. Regardless, it's not a "toss it up and start playing" kind of thing, as a self-contained board is. So to some extent, my hesitation toward looking at a single board plus a laptop as a super-efficient setup comes from the dearth of good lightweight controllers that have more than 61 keys.

I'm also lazy about setting things up ahead of time. ;-) But no back surgeries for me. Even the 28 lb Artis7 is getting to the edge of what I'm willing to cart around. We're lucky that we can get such good sound and functionality out of some pretty back-friendly boards.

Which brings me to the Nords. If you don't mind the price tag, there's a lot I like in the ergonomics, but there are also areas that could use some sonic shoring up, and then, depending on what you need, you may kind of have to weigh laptop (maybe iPad) vs a 2nd board.

As for 61-key all-rounders, I like the MOXF6... better action than the low-cost Rolands/Korgs, very flexible, good sounds, and while it can be tricky to figure out how to do what you want, more often than not, once you figure it out, it's actually pretty easy to do. Or at least it has been for the things I needed to do. A MOXF7 would be killer, esp. if it had aftertouch.

My favorite 88, after all this time, is still my old Casio PX-500L, I just really like that action. Sometimes I'll use its internal sounds, sometimes I'll MIDI it up to trigger sounds from another board. (I use an Anatek Pocket Curve to compensate for its almost DX7-like resistance to putting out velocities over 100.) I've gone to other 88s, but always seem to end up coming back to this one.

I've also made my peace with playing piano from non hammer action boards, no longer believing that the best semi-weighted are always going to be inferior to the worst weighted boards for piano. I've used Kurzweil Artis7 (with lighter springs) and the Nord Electro 5D for piano and been okay with it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner