Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Fender 65 Twin Reissue to use with my VOX Continental.

VOX AC15C1 to use with my Rickenbacker 360-12 and 320.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Could not resist a mint condition 1975 Solina String Ensemble that came up for sale locally. My next purchase will be a Small Stone Phaser to get that sweet 70's sound.

CP4 - Solaris - Kurzweil Forte - Minimoog -

- Mellotron M4000Dm - Motif rackXS - DX5 - SY99 - Rhodes 73 - HX3 - Hammond B3/2x147 - Montage7

Roland D-05. Could not resist the iconic 80's patches :laugh:

Novation Mininova. Total GAS purchase. Would have preferred a table top but the form factor fit in my current setup. Always dug the novation sound, and a lot packed in a small synth.

Envy for you guys that find the good deals on vintage synths. They are practically impossible to find here, and when they came up people want absurd prices.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

A pair of QSC K8.2's. It's been on my mind since Chuck wrote about them.

I set aside some gig money, and took advantage of a 20% off coupon from a friendly retailer. They arrived on Thursday, and so far I've only had about an hour in my basement studio and a 3 hour party yesterday to try them out. Here are my impressions so far.

My most common configuration is using only one speaker. I send both L and R outputs from the Nord Stage 2EX (actually 1 and 2) directly into the A and B channels on the amp. The reason for this is mostly about logistics. Most of the rehearsals/gigs I do are traditional big band, where efficient transport and setup are paramount. I can carry my entire rig by hand in one trip, and can set up in about 10 minutes. The quality of the piano sound of one speaker is very important to me, so it's the first thing I tested out on the K.2.

The most significant thing I heard at first blush is a more natural treble relative to the original K8. I even put them side by side to compare. The K.2 is a bit smoother in the upper range, but I don't think the difference is earth shattering -- yet. I found that the bass and midrange between the two were relatively similar. They still exhibit a bit of a "humpy" character in the midrange that needs to be neutralized by the Nord's EQ.

In stereo, both the K.2's and the originals sound sublime. I took the new ones out for the party yesterday, running them via my Mackie 402-VLZ4 mixer. We were on a rather shallow perch, so the speakers were about three feet behind me and speed about 6 feet from one another. I was in aural heaven. I was told to turn up a bit, but was cautious because I needed to hear the rest of the band (a jazz sextet). It was still a great sound, but only moderately better than the originals.

I did tweak the EQ a a bit. I used the default setting, but did a 2.0dB reduction at 1KHz (Q=1.5). This seemed to help some off-putting resonance around B2 on the acoustic pianos.

I have to admit, however, that the new speakers have me rethinking my piano sounds. I was never a fan of Nord's Italian Grand, as I thought the overtones were just too much for my taste. I ended up playing that sound most of the party. I've been using the Grand Lady D and Studio Grand 2 as my go-to grands, but I need to tweak them again to accommodate the new speakers. I also should go back and re-audition the others. One that did not work for me is the Velvet Grand - Soft velocities seem too muddy and hard velocities too brittle. I may take that one out.

I also used the Amber Upright, Nefertiti, and Mk1 Deep for a few tunes, as well as some B3. They all sounded great. I've never used the Mk 1 Deep at a gig, and was surprised by how "vintage" is sounds. It's like a more subtle version of the Silver Top.

Anyway, so far I hear some improvement over the older K's, but I'd still be happy with the older ones if I didn't buy these. I was on the fence about keeping them, I'm going to hang onto to them since I got a decent deal. It's going to take some time to dial them in.

My old K8's are in the Classifiedsl section if anyone is interested. The warranties are transferrable.

Hi,

I wanted to give my nephews two children (boy and a girl under five) an opportunity to have a keyboard in the house (their Dad had basic piano lessons when he was younger).

After searching the usual sites (ebay, Gumtree, CraigsList) I managed to pick up a used Yamaha DGX660 (with the three pedals) quite cheap. Probably a bit OTT for them but hopefully it will spark a bit of interest.

Chris

p.s. my other nephew's getting my Casio PX5-S when the replacement arrives (hopefully Winter Namm 2018).

Chauvet DJ Freedom Sticks. Battery-powered LED light poles, preprogrammed. Super simple to set up and pack up. No wires or cables!!!

Picked up 8 of them from an internet DJ supply house for not much $$$.

Wow, what a light show, everyone commented.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Interestingly enough, my latest purchase was a Takamine Jasmine acoustic cutaway guitar, and a MIM HSS Strat with upgraded pups. Also straps and cords. I'm actually going to sell off a bunch of keyboards to pay for it - I posted recently asking values.

I use my Kronos and a controller. I can pretty much unload the other dozen or so keyboards I have. Wanna hang on to the Jupiter 6. Otherwise I'm more into new guitars, basses, and amps even though my primary instruments are keys and sax.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yamaha Reface CP

I really like my Reface CP also, Al. As a CP4 owner I am familiar with the sounds but really like the immediacy of the knobs. Wish I could use it with my Mojo but since it only transmits MIDI over Channel 1 I would have to purchase a MIDI Solutions device to use it with the Mojo's lower manual.

:nopity:

Yamaha Reface CP

I really like my Reface CP also, Al. As a CP4 owner I am familiar with the sounds but really like the immediacy of the knobs. Wish I could use it with my Mojo but since it only transmits MIDI over Channel 1 I would have to purchase a MIDI Solutions device to use it with the Mojo's lower manual.

Not sure if I understood the problem but maybe this helps

yamaha reface CP Midi

Been playing with the SE-02 using Chain Mode.

Hoping that 6 six of these would be really big sounding.

It does work in Chain Mode but I decided 2 of these was enough.

I like has 6 Oscillators and having a gigantic Bass/Lead and even Giant sus4 chords, all monophonic of course.

802_FA1_C2-_D908-462_D-_A60_E-53_A90_E9_BFE80.jpg

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Not sure if I understood the problem but maybe this helps

yamaha reface CP Midi

this is OT now but I'll reply and we'll get back on topic.

When OMNI mode is set to off on the CP, the default channel is set to 1. I was unaware that this could be changed using a System Exclusive message. So thank you for that link. :cheers:

:nopity:

Behringer XR16 mixer.

Totally amazing in the bang-for-buck department. Besides the clean sound and the totally sophisticated remote apps, there's like 40+ vintage effects units sitting there at your disposal.

Dialed in the whole band at a rehearsal tonight. Not a big deal. Huge upgrade.

Completely blown away for the $350 I paid.

I once was lost, but now am found ....

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

My first stab at iOS. I've been using my iPad Pro as a sheet music reader (using MusicReader - and iReal Pro). I'm on the road a fair amount, and hate to pack a big, heavy board for practice. So I just purchased a Studiologic VMK-161 (discontinued 61-key, Fatar TP-40 keyboard),

https://www.midi-store.com/Fatar-Studiologic-VMK-161-Plus-midi-keyboard-p/301557.htm

and an iRig Pro along with Ravenscroft piano and NeoSoul. Much to my surprise, it all works.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Vent II, Key Largo. It'll be here in a few days. Looking forward to it.

Next up? A Nord Stage 3 Compact. That is, when there's stock.

I'm in total gear heaven these days. Keys, amplification, lights -- you name it.

I will die happy.

I'm just getting started with Ravenscroft, but I'm amazed that an iOS piano could sound this good. Better than my CP4? Hard to say - these things are matters of personal preference. They're different - but very close. There are a lot of tweaking possibilities -- with time, I might be able to find a setting that equals or beats the CP4 (CFX). I think the CP4 gives you more variety, with the three different sample sets.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s