Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2889319 - 11/09/17 07:22 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: BuckW]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Originally Posted By: BuckW
Studio One DAW on current ADK laptop.

Alright.

I wasn't blown away by S1's built-in synths. I think you'd have more fun with the above.

One more to think about:

If you REALLY don't think you'll be programming much, you might want to look at Syntronik: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/syntronik/

Sampled classic synths that allow some tweakage and mangling with effects instead of full-blown programming capability.

KC Island
#2889322 - 11/09/17 07:24 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: tfort]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: tfort
Can anyone recommend a few places to look into for learning the synths and effects that are built into MainStage?

You should start a new thread for this.

And you should start your learning journey here:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1652/en_US/logic_pro_x_instruments.pdf

Edited by johnchop (11/09/17 07:26 AM)
Edit Reason: coherence

#2889489 - 11/10/17 05:12 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: tfort]
BuckW Offline

Here's another constraint six voice polyphony without having to muck with a second instance.

#2889494 - 11/10/17 05:35 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: tfort]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: tfort
Can anyone recommend a few places to look into for learning the synths and effects that are built into MainStage?

On Youtube, search out MusicTechHelpGuy, SFLogic Ninja (David Earl), Joe Albano and Rishabh Rajan (from Berklee). Don't forget to consider instruction directed at LogicPro X instruments and effects, which are identical to those in Mainstage. Some resources are free and others are worth the price. thu

#2889499 - 11/10/17 05:56 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: David Emm]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: David Emm
I've laid hands to a lot of name synths, but I was a doof in the woods about what even a modest Oberheim could do until I heard this. NOW I get it! idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJtdVgK-Y4

Thanks for the link. Inspiring!

#2889503 - 11/10/17 06:14 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: JerryA]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: JerryA
Originally Posted By: David Emm
I've laid hands to a lot of name synths, but I was a doof in the woods about what even a modest Oberheim could do until I heard this. NOW I get it! idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJtdVgK-Y4

Thanks for the link. Inspiring!

That's Drew Neumann. Google him. His resume will choke a horse.

Speaking of free synths, u-he's Triple Cheese is a truly odd, musical beast. Even if you only scroll through the presets and turn a knob or two without worrying about what you're doing, you'll find something magical. It got my attention. Free. Can't beat it.

#2889514 - 11/10/17 06:38 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: ksoper]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Windows or Mac is not that big a deal anymore as most good manufacturers support both.

I would honestly choose a company first, then look at their offerings. Some companies have great customer support and user friendly copy protection while others can be a major headache.

If I were to limit myself to two companies it would probably be Native Instruments and U-He. Their products run on both Mac and Windows, and they are not overly strict on installs. There are several other good companies, but I never hesitate to recommend U-He to anyone.

#2889516 - 11/10/17 06:46 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: RABid]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: RABid
... but I never hesitate to recommend U-He to anyone.

+1

#2889527 - 11/10/17 07:53 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: RABid]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Windows or Mac is not that big a deal anymore as most good manufacturers support both.

Good point that so many of these things run on either. Though I was looking for an emulation of my old Maxi-Korg and I found there was one for Windows but it wouldn't run on Mac. :-( And of course, Logic is a great starting point for a Mac user, as Markay said.

#2889534 - 11/10/17 08:16 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: BuckW]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's another constraint six voice polyphony without having to muck with a second instance.

We are recommending polyphonic synths. Not sure what you mean by this.

#2889624 - 11/10/17 01:39 PM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: RABid]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida

I would honestly choose a company first, then look at their offerings. Some companies have great customer support and user friendly copy protection while others can be a major headache.

If I were to limit myself to two companies it would probably be Native Instruments and U-He. Their products run on both Mac and Windows, and they are not overly strict on installs. There are several other good companies, but I never hesitate to recommend U-He to anyone.

This is true, one huge exception being Apple Logic grin

I am really disappointed in the macbook pro my wife got (as a gift), as I would like to upgrade my own older macbook pro...to the point where I would consider windows--except I'm pretty wedded to Logic. It doesn't help that they have Alchemy in there smile

#2889649 - 11/10/17 04:10 PM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: Stokely]
David Emm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oz. Its too damned green.
Yeah, Alchemy is a major contributor for me. It covers quite a bit of great synth territory that compliments my more acoustic or vintage resources.

One other tip: don't do as I did initially, piling up new plug-ins like I was eating honey-roasted cashews. I hit one major version-shift train-wreck that left a little scar. A hard lesson, but still useful. I also came to trim my 'stack' of duplicated items, which led to my current direction of several 'powerhouses' I know more intimately. Items like SampleTank, UVI's Falcon or Mainstage will let you get your feet wet with one major starter tool, which in turn will show you where to branch out.

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2889710 - 11/11/17 06:10 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: David Emm]
BuckW Offline

U-he Zebra looks interesting. In their Dark Zebra add-on collection of patches used by Hans Zimmer in the Dark Knight soundtracks there is any interesting zipper like sound at 2:12 called
Bane Bass Rough.

Similar or same sound he used in Bladerunner 2049.

#2889781 - 11/11/17 01:50 PM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: BuckW]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Zebra is a beast. Incredibly deep and not the most approachable to program, but I would say its on a top five list of If you had one synth VST.

Its relatively light on CPU as well.

I guess you are throwing free out the window?

#2889841 - 11/12/17 04:32 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: johnchop]
BuckW Offline

Not necessarily throwing free out the window but I don't want a starter. I'm old and may not have much time left.

#2890170 - 11/14/17 04:32 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: tfort]
BuckW Offline

I saw a (Moog) Taurus emulator the other day but now i can't find it. I thought it was part of the Komplete suite but evidently not. Maybe it was a set of programs for something I was looking at.

Anybody know?

#2890175 - 11/14/17 05:13 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: BuckW]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
I saw a (Moog) Taurus emulator the other day but now i can't find it. I thought it was part of the Komplete suite but evidently not. Maybe it was a set of programs for something I was looking at.

Anybody know?

Taurus beta 4

is the only plugin Im aware of since 2006 which isnt sample based.
You might find several other sample based Taurus "emulations".
IIRC, there were MOOG Taurus presets and samples in Spectrasonic Atmosphere and Trilogy already.

A.C.

#2890191 - 11/14/17 06:52 AM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: Al Coda]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Syntronik has one in its library as well:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/synbully/

#2890266 - 11/14/17 12:58 PM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: johnchop]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
There are the ones I keep going back to and using over and over again, and that is telling:

TimewARP 2600 -- with a caveat that it is difficult to get to work anymore, but worth it once you get past the hurdles

Waldorf Attack -- still by far the best analog drum machine emulator, for covering CR78/TR808/TR909 and early Linn and SDS-5

Waldorf PPG-Wave -- the more advanced edition is worth it, but the cheap one comes with the suite that includes Attack

Korg Analog Legacy Suite -- the Mono/Poly in particular cuts through the mix in almost any role (lead, bass, effects)

G-Force impOSCar -- nothing else quite like it

Native Instruments FM8 -- pretty essential to any collection

Xils-Lab PolyM -- absolutely breathtaking Polymoog emulation

Arturia's suite is well worth it, but if I had to pick just one, it would probably be the new-ish Syncalvier emulation.

I'm doing all of this from memory while at work, without consulting project notes, figuring that whatever pops to mind without looking anything up is probably also the most honest list.

#2890277 - 11/14/17 01:35 PM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Iconoclast Online   content

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Love some of the synclavier sounds but it's as unprogrammable as the original instrument. I find myself using a lot of the the other Arturia stuff just because I can tailor it to my own uses easier.

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff
...and a pickup truck to haul it all

#2890304 - 11/14/17 02:43 PM Re: Dilemma in picking a virtual synth [Re: Iconoclast]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Good points; my friend Dave Polich did some of the better presets on the Arturia Syncalvier and thus I find I haven't felt such a need to program it yet.

The Arturia synths that I spend more time doing actual programming on, are the Jupiter (pretty easy to work with), both Moogs, the Prophet, and sometimes the CS-80. I do minor tweaks on existing presets for most of the others.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner