Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2017 Thread

Well, that was a pretty anticlimactic ending to what was otherwise a great series.

*Sigh* Maybe next year...

Congrats to the Astros and their fans for winning their first World Series. I'm glad that after all Houston had to endure with Hurricane Harvey and its aftermath, they have this win to help brighten their spirits.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Darvish has a history of tipping pitches and of course that's the buzz on sports media today. One analyst I listen to regularly, former Met Cliff Floyd said today the best reader of tells he ever saw was Shawn Green, who while with the Mets, taught all he knew to none other than Carlos Beltran. Astros were salivating over facing Darvish again.

Here for the gear.

Regarding whether or not the Dodgers should have started Kershaw in game 7, there is a parallel to the 1965 World Series: In game 7 the Dodgers started their top ace Sandy Koufax on 2 days rest, after he had pitched a complete game victory in game 5. The result was that Koufax pitched a complete game shutout in game 7.

One of the most exciting Series I've ever seen. Incredible that in addition to his 4 homers, George Springer set a new WS record with 29 total bases.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

[font:Comic Sans MS]Go, Astros, go!!!!!!

...not that I actually give a damn about the team - I just want Verlander to get the ring that years of Detroit front-office incompetence stopped him from getting here.[/font]

He go it.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Lifelong Dodger fan here, Los Angeles born and raised. Been a fan since '77. Steve Garvey was my childhood hero.

Game 7 was a heartbreaker. But I saw it coming early on in the game. I also didn't fault Roberts for starting Darvish (when he's awful, he's awful, and when he's good, he's GOOD), but there should have been an instant failsafe at the first sign of breakdown. Should have had Wood or Kershaw come in once he gave up his first run, but they brought Morrow in waaaay too late. Coulda woulda shoulda.

Disappointed but not depressed. I'm actually grateful. Proud of my boys in blue and they allowed me to fulfill a dream I had since I was a kid: GO TO A WORLD SERIES GAME. On Sunday, prompted by the Dodgers' early lead, I plunked down $1,500 on a ticket, hoping to see them clinch their first title in 29 years in front of my eyes. You only live once.

But when they lost Game 5, it was too late, I had already bought my Game 6 ticket. Even if they won, I wouldn't have the privilege of seeing them celebrate on the field. But still, I made the best of it.

It's the same stadium I've gone to for 40 years, the same stadium I paid $10 for a ticket to just a few months ago. But the atmosphere and energy was different. Fans were LOUD. We cheered every Astros strike and high-fived each other at every Astros out. And when we scored a run, we jumped and shouted. And when Joc Pederson hit that home run, WE WENT NUTS.

We won the game 3-1 and after the game no one wanted to leave. And in fact, the stadium staff, which normally kicks us out of our seats 15 minutes after the last out, didn't do that. No one wanted to leave! And there was a loooooong line to the gift shop to buy souvenirs. I bought a WS t-shirt and a program. This wasn't just a Dodger game. It was Disneyland, Christmas, New Year's Eve and heck...it was literally Halloween!

My dream of going to a World Series game had come true. Thank you, Dodgers!

24304053588_b17931e7cf_z.jpg

Steve Garvey was my childhood hero.

That guy had arms like Popeye!

Sorry for your disappointment and glad you got to experience a lifelong dream. $1500 isn't too much for that. In fact, I seriously considered taking Gino Vannelli's privately tutored Master Class a few years ago - for the paltry price of $1500.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I'm so glad to hear you were able to be there, elsongs! That may have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I wish I could have joined you.

I just missed the Sandy Koufax era and had to make do with reading a book about him while watching Don Drysdale's final years on the mound. I believe Steve Garvey joined the Dodgers just after Drysdale retired.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Thanks, though there's still a good chance to going back to the World Series next year as the roster won't be changing very much in 2018.

All teams have various generations of fans. Koufax and Drysdale were before my time (though I'm more familiar with Drysdale as an announcer), while I got to see Sutton, Valenzuela, Hershiser, Nomo, Gagne and Kershaw (I went to Kershaw's first game in June, 2008!). Of course, Vin Scully was there for all of them.

...I just missed the Sandy Koufax era and had to make do with reading a book about him while watching Don Drysdale's final years on the mound. I believe Steve Garvey joined the Dodgers just after Drysdale retired...

I had not realized that Garvey had joined the Dodgers as early as 1969, so I looked it up - he was a September 1969 call-up to the major leagues, while Drysdale's last game was in early August 1969.

I still recall what Drysdale (by then a baseball announcer) said in 1985 about Doc Gooden. 1985 was Gooden's second year, and this was the year he set the baseball world on fire (24-4 and a 1.53 ERA). Since Gooden was only 20, everyone was wondering how much better he might become, but Drysdale said this was as good as Gooden would ever get.

Of course it is. At that level, teams are pretty much matched up. Tipping points are things like body language, as I think I alluded to a few posts up.

Can't wait till April, though.

Here for the gear.

...We're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of perhaps the greatest Tweet ever, from Verlander's girlfriend, supermodel Kate Upton. Hilarious, and definitely NSFW! http://i.imgur.com/4i6Ckte.gif

I wonder if Clayton Kershaw's wife has a twitter account. Kershaw had a lower ERA than Scherzer, more wins, and fewer losses. Scherzer had more strikeouts, but strikeouts are just a means to an end.

Scherzer took the award on WHIP. He pitched 25 more innings than Kershaw.

Walk + Hits/Innings Pitched. Thats the equation. This is a stat that should never be overlooked. It exemplifies how talented and controlled a pitcher is. A pitcher whose WHIP hovers around one displays excellent command and low BAA (batting average against).

:nopity:

While I am a Yankees fan, as a baseball fan I was glad to see Altuve with the MVP. Considered in isolation, Judge's offensive stats would be more impressive (more runs scored, more RBIs, and a higher OPS), but Judge is an outfielder and Altuve is a second baseman. It is expected to get more offense from outfielders, so the offense produced by a second baseman or shortstop needs to be given a premium in assessing that player's value.

• 2 years later...
I wish I had created this, but the guy I got it from says it wasn't his creation either. :idk:

472.thumb.jpg.413f3639fe7afb3674be8805c54375b4.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI