Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Totally unofficial Mojo 61/Viscount Legend shootout

Al,

You need a closed circuit to get rotation. Short 6 to 8 and you get Fast. Short 6 to 7 and you get Slow. if the circuit is open you get stop.

On the Vent end, Tip is Fast, Ring is slow. So, Tip to Sleeve=fast, Ring to sleeve=Slow, and open is Stop.

So, the adapter is 6 to Sleeve, 7 to, Ring, and 8 to Tip.

The only problem you may have is that on some organs connecting the 11-pin disables the 1/4. Usually on models that only do organ. If thats the case with Numa,then you may need to use and reduce the Audio level coming off the 11-pin. Leslie input is way hotter than line, so that is likely what the 11-pin puts out. But, the Vent may be able to handle it. I know people are running consoles into the Vent, and I havent seen any mention of padding the signal.

BTW, on Neo site there was a doc for an 11-pin adapter cable, indicating it was a product at some point. Dont know if the product is available any more.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also liked the Numa 2 the couple times that I played one and I think it has more than a little in common with the Viscount Key B stuff.

It got a bad rap from Mitch Towne on these pages which he is completely at liberty to do.... I know enough about the organ sounds I like not to have that affect me - I think Mitch and I have different tastes anyway.

I spent some time with Numa 2 at NAMM a few years back and it seemed pretty good to me. The keybed still seems different than the Mojo or the Viscount. The CV seemed good and the leslie sim seemed good too. But I haven't lived with one.

I played one at a jam session once and loved it though (!)And I used CV only . It seemed fine to me and I am picky picky.

I loved the combination of the Numa 1 and the Vent. Turning the horn level down made the Numa / Vent combination just right... but I also did not own the Vent, I just used it on a gig once and loved it.

But that keybed kicks ants on the Numa 2. And I believe it is different than the Mojo or Viscount - intentionally.

Where was Brian Auger playing? Just curious....

Some europaen tour ...

I refered to belgium Verviers gigs in regards on Viscount Legend.

There are a few on youtube.

BTW he will be 79 next year. His spirit is ageless though.

Yep !

I always liked Jimmy Smith when I was young but when I heard Brian Auger´s Trinity (w/ Julie Driscoll) and later Oblivion Express, that was it for me.

I really liked Brian not using a Leslie and experimenting w/ guitar amps.

Well, Jon Lord and others did too but they did rock and Brian had that jazz phrasing and played that licks while using the rock sound.

And I always liked how he used the C/V when playing his style.

I´m not a organ purist, but Brian is one of my heros beneath others not being famous for playing organ,- Chick, Herbie, JoeZ, Jan Hammer p.ex..

But I also like Larry Young very much but came to him late by occasion.

IIRC, I listened to Tony Williams Lifetime "Believe It" feat. Alan Pasqua earlier than to any record w/ Larry Young.

That´s life ...

A.C.

Funky stuff

What were you using before the mojo 61?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Update: My Mojo 61 arrived today, and I'm seriously loving it (and kicking myself for waiting this long to get one)
That's my fault for not bringing it to NOLA when we were there last spring for no other reason but for you to try it. ;):D

[Actually, I wanted to do that for you, but it just wasn't going to work with the way we did the trip.]

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Funky stuff

What were you using before the mojo 61?

A few different things depending on the situation. For most band gigs, an Sk1, which sounds like a perfectly fine 2011 clonewheel. For organ trio, an original Mojo, which I was never happy taking to gigs because it seemed too fragile and glitchy. For fly dates with backlined boards, an HX3 module, which would see more use on in-town gigs if I didn't hate dealing with modules. The 61 will definitely replace the Sk1 and the original Mojo, though I plan keep the Sk1 to use as a lower manual for organ trio for the time being.

What is the original mojo? A dual manual? With windows xp computer? More fragile? Sounds different than the 61? Has the same EPS as the 61?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

What is the original mojo? A dual manual? With windows xp computer? More fragile? Sounds different than the 61? Has the same EPS as the 61?
Yeah, he's referring to the dual manual model that came out a few years ago. Officially, the product names are "Mojo" and "Mojo 61." Theoretically, the tonewheel organ should sound the same or similar because they're both running [Zio]Guido's VB3-II engine. If they don't, there could be some reasons why but I'd bet Guido will tell us they do sound the same when they're both updated and current. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I also liked the Numa 2 the couple times that I played one and I think it has more than a little in common with the Viscount Key B stuff.

It got a bad rap from Mitch Towne on these pages which he is completely at liberty to do.... I know enough about the organ sounds I like not to have that affect me - I think Mitch and I have different tastes anyway.

I spent some time with Numa 2 at NAMM a few years back and it seemed pretty good to me. The keybed still seems different than the Mojo or the Viscount. The CV seemed good and the leslie sim seemed good too. But I haven't lived with one.

I played one at a jam session once and loved it though (!)And I used CV only . It seemed fine to me and I am picky picky.

I loved the combination of the Numa 1 and the Vent. Turning the horn level down made the Numa / Vent combination just right... but I also did not own the Vent, I just used it on a gig once and loved it.

But that keybed kicks ants on the Numa 2. And I believe it is different than the Mojo or Viscount - intentionally.

I really like my Numa Organ 2. I also have a Legend and a Mojo and the Numa holds it own. The build quality is great and the layout is excellent. I wanted dual manuals so I ordered another one, which I will receive Tuesday. Should be fun.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

I have a dual manual Mojo (which I love) and was looking for an opportunity to play a Legend to make a final decision on a single manual organ.

That reminds me of something I forgot to mention: I also have an original Mojo, and I was really surprised at how much better the 61 sounded. I expected it only to be a slight improvement, but it's in a whole different league.

Why do they sound different???

There's a fabulous new Brian Auger video on FB playing the Legend. Nice to see that he's getting his sound on it now. I saw a vid of him playing one at NAMM and it sounded trebly.

Brian is 78, still touring and smoking. He's my biggest playing style influence. I'm glad he's giving his back a break these days.

https://www.facebook.com/pietro.taucher/videos/972633966209300/

Moe

---

I went to a music major college alongside Brian, who also was a student, in the 80s. He is hot jazz piano player.

Hey Moe

Thanks for the clip of Brian. Does he use a foot manual, what is is left foot doing? He plays a lot like my main guy monty alexander : hot party music.

J+

[video:youtube]

Here is Brian with his daughter. Im gonna pick a part this arrangement and Steel as many licks as I can from Brian. What is his main draw a bar setting when he solos? Does he varry his drawbar settings much?

Im gonna pick a part this arrangement and Steel as many licks as I can from Brian. What is his main draw a bar setting when he solos? Does he varry his drawbar settings much?

Have fun! I have stolen many licks from him. In the meantime, check this out. He's using 888400000 soloing. Brian, like many English players, prefers 2nd percussion to 3rd percussion, and since he doesn't use a leslie, he often switches vibrato on an off like one.

Also google Brian Auger alien lick. It's one of his favorites.

[video:youtube]

Moe

---

Thanks, what a monster in B- , huge fan now. Gonna slow down those dazzling licks and cop some if them. It seems he would do fine with a single manual organ with a digital EP on top, why does he need a double manual organ at all?

Hi,

I'm genuinely interested in reading what Mitche Towne found to criticise about the Numa 2.

Chris

Here is my original short review of the Numa 2:

--------

I tried the Numa 2 for a week and a half and returned it. I purchased it after demoing it at NAMM in hopes that it would be a useful single manual rehearsal board. Here are my overall thoughts:

Keybed Feel: This was the main selling point for the Numa 2, as far as I was concerned. I knew that it didn't sound as good as my Mojo, Nord or Hammond SK2, but the feel of the keybed was the most realistic of the bunch. I figured that, if I didn't love the sound, I could use it as a controller for something with a more realistic sound set, like the HX3 module. However, I discovered a big problem with that plan. The Numa 2 only sends MIDI information from the lower trigger point, not the high trigger point that the internal sound uses. As far as using the Numa 2 as an organ controller, that's a deal-breaker.

Sound: I tried the original Numa twice. I really wanted to like it but ended up returning it both times because I just couldn't get a ballsy tone out of it. The Numa 2 is no different. The sound doesn't cut in group situation. I don't mean a high shrill sound, I mean a sound that has enough body to be present in the context of a band. I took the Numa 2 to a jazz trio rehearsal, using the internal sim and a QSC and the Numa was totally lost in the mix. 16 bars into the first tune, I was missing the Mojo. The Nord Electro 3 cuts better than the Numa as well. The Numa just doesn't have a powerful, round sound.

Also, I thought I detected an odd behavior with the percussion retriggering, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I wish I had read Blyon's post before I returned mine. I would love to know if that was the issue. What an odd fault if that's the case.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I was disappointed with the Numa 2 and was glad to be able to return it.

----

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Hi Mitch,

thanks for getting back to me and giving your views on the Numa 2. As you are a pro player (which I'm not) your requirements from the instrument would be greater than mine. I understand fully about sound getting lost in the mix (I read a lot of these comments when musicians review digital pianos).

I agree with you about the keybed feel. Simply gorgeous with a beautiful ivory finish. I have a Korg PA4X arranger, and previously had a Yamaha Tyros 5, £2,200 and £2,750 U.K. respectively and neither had a keybed of the quality of the Numa 2.

I know that new "Organ sets" were posted on the Studiologic website which I downloaded and loaded into the Numa 2. Did you try these, or had you already sold it on ? Not sure if they would have been enough for you to keep hold of it though.

Anyway Mitch, it's good to know you have the Mojo that you are happy with. I've sold my Numa 2 on (purely as I wanted a two manual clone), and now have a Viscount Key B Live.

Chris

".. I mean a sound that has enough body to be present in the context of a band ..
One of the reasons I still appreciate the Voce V5+. It has that ballsy sound (aka body as Mitch describes it).

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band