Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

The Sub does free up the SSv3 for bolder tones.

What I like most about HX-3 and Lester is I can switch Configuration A to B using a MIDI CC.

Step on Lesters true bypass and get my best HX-3 tones.

This is where the MIDI CC Remote settings you taught me really pay off.

Drawbars as presets are not the juice on the HX-3.

It's controlling parameters saved for C3, Rotary, Tube Amp, Master Volume, even modulation depth. So thanks again.

I get a great Earl Grant kind of sound that has smoking Rotary ramps and cleaner sound.

Switch Scenes on my Physis K4 and I'm back into the 70s Rock tones.

I would love some more ramp controls, but the balance drive and slow/fast settings, plus those Tung-Sol Tubes sound so good I'm overlooking that ATM.

Just love this distorted wooden sounding box.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Hardware

Are you using the Lester K for overdrive also?

One reason I might be interested in a sim like the K is that it is hard to switch from a CV setting to a leslie sim setting. Even on the Mojo or Key B, "brake" still has the sim on.

So far I don't know if I can switch from the mono CV to a stereo sim setting on the HX3. I probably already know I can't...

Does the Lester K run on a battery? One less wall wart headache if so.

Still digging the HX3 CV. The right playback source ( speakers/ headphones ) are a MUST to get good CV.

I am using JVC HARX 300 headphones with the HX3 with great results. It has the right percussion balance and the CV responds nicely to these phones. $12.44 shipped from Walmart!! Seriously... Great bass and the right response curve for organ sounds.

Lesters Overdrive is the whole reason.

It's got that dirty wooden sound, perfect.

The fast ramp down is the only thing I don't care for.

But going from a beautiful clean B3 with semi dirty Scanner vibrato, to a balls accurate 147 has really helped me.

Lester K + Bypass with Configuration A RotaryL/RotaryR

Lester K on with Configuration B Organ/BPed and deepest chorus/C3 vib

These are 2 I use.

Master Volume and Tube Amp need MIDI CC assigned

As does Vibrato levels

Blue3 and B5 sound better through Lester K, but still have the sound of laundry hung over speaker quality.

Ferrofish DSP with an additional JCM Amp sim still is the go to Jon Lord choice.

But that's how I cover the Hammond stuff.

My Gibson 101E, Farfisa and Continental sounds are all on Omnisphere.

First time I've been satisfied with all organs.

To me it was like cringing doing Sax solos for years.

Its no fun playing solos when you know you sound like a Kazoo...

Can the HX3 go out in mono to the Lester K in Stereo?

CV on the HX3 only sounds good to me in mono. That was possibly the main reason why I ditched the version I got 2 years ago. But CV improvements has possibly been made since then.

Once again, I am 99 percent satisfied with the HX3 CV. My ONLY issue is in the extreme upper register... like the last 3 or 4 notes. Other than that the CV is extremely sweet now... and the organ has such clarity.

Also... the HX3 can sound like an old organ on non-percussion drawbar settings. That real old Jimmy Smith comping sound... the HX3 gets closer that just about any clone I have had.

I have heard the B5 program do old organs pretty well BTW... but I do not have that one have only heard demos.

Really digging the HX3 this summer.

Yes.

Try Organ, which is no Tube Amp.

Amp, which is Tube Amp + Drawbars.

Both Mono.

In Config A or B you'll always see Amp/BPed.

Or Organ/BPed...

I like C3 the most in Organ (no Tube Amp) and the cleanest settings are best.

AO Tube set to 0.

Percussion Mute 150-200...

Anything that ads dirt get rid off.

Lester is all the dirt you'll need...

Again, this is a Rock 147 device.

You don't need it unless you want the wood/resonate sound with accurate Tube Distortion.

Digital Overdrive or distortion works okay, but loses clarity and ads harshness.

The Tung-Sol Tubes is pure grease, no crispy ass Digital crap...

... the HX3 CV. The right playback source ( speakers/ headphones ) are a MUST to get good CV.

I am using JVC HARX 300 headphones with the HX3 ... $12.44 shipped from Walmart!!

Seriously... Great bass and the right response curve for organ sounds.

Now, since you´ve found the right combo for yourself, at that price, it might be a good idea buying a quantity of phones for your audience, making sure they have a chance to enjoy that great HX3 C/V too.

Eventually you manage getting a discount from Walmart, then give away the phones for free at the entrance when gigging.

:crazy:

A.C.

... the HX3 CV. The right playback source ( speakers/ headphones ) are a MUST to get good CV.

I am using JVC HARX 300 headphones with the HX3 ... $12.44 shipped from Walmart!!

Seriously... Great bass and the right response curve for organ sounds.

Now, since you´ve found the right combo for yourself, at that price, it might be a good idea buying a quantity of phones for your audience, making sure they have a chance to enjoy that great HX3 C/V too.

Eventually you manage getting a discount from Walmart, then give away the phones for free at the entrance when gigging.

:crazy:

A.C.

LOL

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Lesters ...

The fast ramp down is the only thing I don't care for.

No "ramp up/dwn" (trim pot) adjustment somewhere internally in Lester K ?

A.C.

Haven't checked that out.....duh.

For a buck 50 I figured it was a static Pedal with no DSP Style paging.

But the outputs on this are hot, I ran it through an AUX Channel in the XITE-1.

Damn Kontakt guitar instruments sound like Nantucket Sleighride.

Reminds me of my old S760 Sampler outs. Big sound...

Time to read the wallet sized manual.

Not holding my breath though....

Well,- it might be not documented in the user manual, but can be, trimpots exist for service.

Unfortunately,- opening the unit will ruin the warranty, so I avoid encouraging you to do so.

Eventually EHX provides more info to registered customers ... ;)

A.C.

Well,- it might be not documented in the user manual, but can be, trimpots exist for service.

Unfortunately,- opening the unit will ruin the warranty, so I avoid encouraging you to do so.

Eventually EHX provides more info to registered customers ... ;)

A.C.

No joy, but no biggie. I lose that Steppenwolf The Pusher ramp I love.

Guitarist just bought Lester G after hearing the K.

HX-3 / Lester K and B3000 w/ ECC Tubes and DSP Ring Mod has mo covered.

Can't wait to hear Spacestation XL.

• 2 weeks later...

My HX3 CV settings are...

Scanner Gears 100 of 100 - important for scanner speed

Scanner Leak 77 of 100

Vibrato Channel Amp Mod 30 of 200

Vib Channel Pre emphasis 87 of 200

Vib Channel reflect 100 of 200

Vib Channel response 200 of 200

Line Box Level 100 of 200

Channel Bypass level 75 of 200

C3 Modulation amount 200 of 200

As you see some adjustments are maxed and some are at about half.

Overall I am getting good results in my A/ B comparison to the Crumar Mojo. The Mojo still has the edge in the upper most 3 of 4 notes. For some reason the HX3 tones tend to vibrate at different speeds up there. The Mojo tones are a bit smoother on the last few tones.

However, playback source can affect things greatly.

Also... the Mojo CV has issues of its own ( my settings, possibly not yours), so this basically boils down to apples and oranges.

There are things that I really like about the HX3 CV. For most of what I am using it for ( practice voicing melodies in the mid register) it sounds luscious.

Overall I greatly prefer the HX3 leslie sim to the Mojo. Sorry Guido etc.

I am not sure what is going on in the extreme upper register but "beta testers" please take note. Also , some of the issues are with 5 1/3 drawbar out on third percussion slow decay ( my preference) only.

The HX3 module packs a lot of bang for the buck. Recently have been pairing it with different ( some older Casio) controllers. It's interesting getting by on presets. Basically I set up a preset and dial in one upper drawbar on the dial, so I am getting that to work somewhat.

I would love to hear more about these CV settings from someone who understands more about what is going on with what they have tried to do with all these adjustments.

I don't see these two controls in my HX-3 Remote app. Where are they?

Line Box Level 100 of 200

Channel Bypass level 75 of 200

Does anyone have a good setting for the other C/V settings V1-C1-V2-C2-V3? mine are all set the same currently.

Thx, Mr. Anxiety

Line Box Level is one of the important adjustments.

This enables the intense nature of the original ( at least the one I heard 2 years ago) HX3 CV to be backed off somewhat. A few years ago there was too much vibrato " throb". Line Box Level tames this down considerably.

• 3 months later...

What's the current state of the HX3 sound? Are we still talking en-par with VB3-2, better -worse? Chorus?

I'm looking to run through a real 145 so Leslie sim isn't important, just the basic tone. I need a module to run with my 2001 Korg BX3, and it's either this or the Gemini Desktop. However, I am very reluctant to try another Crumar product as I have twice had some poor QC s**t to deal with from them.The only upside is that I found a stockist who offers a 60 day trial and 3 year warranty.

So on basic tone and using with a Leslie, which one is tops? Is the HX3 chorus as nice as the VB3? Been out the loop a fair while.

Been out of playing quite a long time too, and have just managed to try and play live again. Had (and still have to be fair) major depression exacerbated by multiple hand surgeries. Lost total confidence in playing because of it and stopped. My hands not too bad, I can't click my fingers now I presume because of scar tissue and I have trouble with some voicing like a #9 chord where I'm playing white to black key on top like a G7#9 one hand voicing. Need to try and stretch my hand out more and increase span.

So I thought to encourage me to get out there again I would treat myself to an upgrade on my BX3

You can't go wrong with the HX3. Just listen to the YT demos of the Uhl X3 which essentially is the exact same sound engine. In the latest OS version the HX3 chorus was improved streets ahead of older versions. Very tweakable and spot on. Ever since I hooked my HX3 to my Leslie 147 I stopped checking out other clones. My search is over.

Having said that, there are many Mojo/Gemini lovers at KC too. At the end of the day it's always a matter of taste and preferences. Anyway, the HX3 would be a major upgrade on your good old BX3 for sure.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Agree on keeping HX-3 Clean if you use C3 vibrato.

Have UVI B5, Blue3, both very decent Hammonds, far superior to VB3.

But Blue3 has a great separate Leslie Plug in from their latest upgrade.

Sucker sounds fantastic and doesnt bury the vibrato.

Im happy because I use HX-3 into Blue3 or Lester.

UVI B5 into Lester or Blue3, Blue3 into Blue3 or Lester.

Creamware B3000 into TC Fireworx Ring Modulator.

Which is exactly like the old CS80 Ring Mod.

No way anyone can be totally happy with just one.

I got tired of a B3 and Leslie years back so tried an Acoustic 150 piggyback and then a Moog Lab Series.

I love organs, and all mentioned above.

What's the current state of the HX3 sound? Are we still talking en-par with VB3-2, better -worse? Chorus?

I'm looking to run through a real 145 so Leslie sim isn't important, just the basic tone.

Sounds like the Gemini module is right up your alley. From OB Dave's review of the Mojo:

"Is the Mojo's Leslie sim as good as the real deal? No, it's not. But! It's the closest thing I've heard so far, and for the first time ever, I was able to play a Leslie-less gig without feeling completely crippled. It was actually quite nice. A different sound, but a pleasing one."

"Ran the ....Mojo through the Rolls with K10s as monitors as usual .... Also brought the Leslie, but told the sound man to mute those channels till further notice because I was going to play the first set sans Leslie......... Nobody in the band, and a Hammond freak in the audience did not know about the switcheroo until I told them at set break. I am reminded of the old margarine commercial where Mother Nature gets fooled by the not-butter."

"I switched back to Leslie for the second set, and Mojo -> Leslie is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing. It's that good."

Get a Gemini module.......

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Get a Gemini module.......

Hmm.... is this the only saving truth or just your opinion? I never tried a Mojo but I know quite a few B3 aficinados who didn't like the Mojo sound. All I'm saying is that subjective recommendations should always be taken with a grain of salt.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

I own a Mojo (original dual manual) and a HX3 module (which I use a Hammond XK3 as a controller when I wanted a single manual organ, long before the single manual Mojo was released). They both sound great. Al Quinn has posted the same in other threads.

Strat vs. Les Paul? :laugh:

:nopity:

I had an HX3 module at one point and got rid of it. It was not up to snuff sound wise with Mojo at that time. I'm sure it's better now several updates later.

The reason I got rid of it is that I really really did not grok the update process. The user interface of the update app was completely confusing and when I tried to update it I got errors. I was always afraid of bricking it.

Moe

---

The deal is done. I hope this to be the springboard I need to feel better and play more which are related. Anyway, I cashed in on an HX3. Not too fussed about the update procedure as I used to own a Receptor!

Way behind the curve though, I have a s***load of reading to do on this. And songs to learn. I almost feel like a musician again.

Yes... I am doing pretty well with the HX3 after 6 months or so.

I have the CV dialed in pretty well.... but the last 2 or three notes are extremely sensitive to playback source - i.e. speakers, headphones. With the right speakers/ phones the CV can be very convincing. BTW this does NOT include most of the self powered speakers I have tried. Most of those have horns/ tweeters that can screw up the CV completely in the upper register.

I A/ B ed it for a while with the Mojo.... and I found that even the Mojo had " issues".

I still think there are certain things that could be addressed

with the CV. I still don't know what the hell some of those adjustable parameters actually do. There is danger in dialing in something fairly well and then screwing it up just because you are curious.

Overall it has been a lot of bang for the buck.

The deal is done. I hope this to be the springboard I need to feel better and play more which are related. Anyway, I cashed in on an HX3. Not too fussed about the update procedure as I used to own a Receptor!

Way behind the curve though, I have a s***load of reading to do on this. And songs to learn. I almost feel like a musician again.

Congrats! Good choice!

Be sure that V4.25 is installed (the latest version).

CV, Overdrive and Lesliesim is spot on.

No need for additional external devices.

Do you have an old or new BX3 ?

If the BX3mk2 than you are a lucky guy !

It's a perfect controller for the HX3 cause you

can assign all the MidiCCs on the BX3 and don't have

to act with the custom sets or remote software.

To find the CCs look here:

http://wiki.keyboardpartner.de/index.php?title=Using_HX3_with_MIDI_controllers

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Thanks M_G, that's some really useful info that I can map from the organ instead from the HX3 side. It is tne 2nd generation. Rare as hens teeth, certainly in the UK, only seen this two including this one for sale ever used. I believe they were very expensive at the time. Got it for peanuts because tne shop thought tne Leslie switch didn't work when in fact it was disabled in the menu.

I'm just in the process of modifying the wood stand so it folds on hinges instead of an assembly of bolts.