Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2887491 - 10/27/17 10:51 PM Holy cow- another gear shop shutters!
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Apparently, ProGuitarShop.com is call it quits, and liquidating on Reverb.com.

https://proguitarshop.reverbsites.com

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2887530 - 10/28/17 06:43 AM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Yeah, that's a huge shame. Hopefully Andy will continue to make his super informative review videos.

#2887534 - 10/28/17 08:06 AM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I hate to see the business go, but can understand the wife not wanting to carry on and hand it over to those that can still make things work. I truly enjoyed the gear videos as they made making purchases much easier in the pedal world...+1 it looks like they will continue making the videos. cool

#2887563 - 10/28/17 01:32 PM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Yikes! One of my favourite vendors, even if just for electric guitar stuff.

#2888029 - 11/01/17 06:19 AM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Holy sh!t!

I guess that the market has gotten kinda saturated, while also diminishing...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2888115 - 11/01/17 10:46 AM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
They are also taking offers, if you’re not lowballing.

I got a Fuzzhugger Sonic Bloom (yes, another fuzz) and a ThorpyFX Chain Home Tremolo.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2888127 - 11/01/17 11:08 AM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
And it looks like PedalGeek.com shut down in August. I used to love them - real good service; great selection.

If anything happens to Prymaxe...

#2888138 - 11/01/17 11:51 AM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Holy sh!t!

I guess that the market has gotten kinda saturated, while also diminishing...

+1 You have to come up with something very special and with good quality in the pedal market, or you'll die a quick death...I hate to see guitar and related businesses go under... cry

#2888168 - 11/01/17 02:37 PM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: Larryz

I hate to see guitar and related businesses go under... cry

They priced them selves too high, instead of making a 30% above cost profit, the music stores want 40% above cost, and the manufacturer is probably at 50% or better above cost. You can buy lots of decent gear made overseas for 1/5th the price of the American made stuff or higher dollar foreign made gear. And it is not all low labor costs from foreign competition either. It is corporate greed. And "overly advertising" costs. The USA companies have priced themselves out of the market with greed.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2888256 - 11/02/17 08:24 AM Re: Holy cow- another gear shop shutters! [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I'm hoping the 2nd time around Mom and Pop's guitar shops will keep things going. My new guitar budget is $1,000 to $2,000, but I'm not in the market for buying new or used as I have too many guitars. I wouldn't mind selling a few on consignment if a good used store opens up in my area. The big guns wanting $3,000 to $4,000 for a guitar have definitely priced themselves out of the market. But, I think the market is also saturated with all sorts of cheap equipment and fewer people interested in playing guitars these days... cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose