Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2887262 - 10/26/17 12:54 PM Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA

KC Island
#2887276 - 10/26/17 01:57 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: HammondDave]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
obviously I'm not but I thought $30 for parking was pretty reasonable

#2887291 - 10/26/17 03:17 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: davedoerfler]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Dave, it's asking for a promotion code. Do you have that?

#2887292 - 10/26/17 03:34 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: zxcvbnm098]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
I wanna go...but I have Eagles/Rams tix that afternoon. Hmmm...

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation • SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Reverb Foundry • Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2887301 - 10/26/17 04:53 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
YAAAS! I'm still geeking out over Songs In The Key of Life a few years back.

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2887312 - 10/26/17 06:15 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dreamchilde]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The pre-sale code is "STAPLES"

And that Songs in the Key of Life concert a couple of years ago was OFF THE CHARTS! Herbie Hancock AND Chick Corea as special guests? What a show that was! Don't miss this one!

Edited by HammondDave (10/26/17 06:17 PM)

#2887313 - 10/26/17 06:18 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Grave Bryce
I wanna go...but I have Eagles/Rams tix that afternoon. Hmmm...

dB

EAGLES/RAMS vs. Stevie Wonder? You may be ousted from this group if you make the wrong choice....

#2887319 - 10/26/17 06:34 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: JazzPiano88]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Would be great to go!
I saw Stevie once in concert. Overjoyed tour.
Freaking awesome!

Somehow I got directed to the Greg Phillinganes interview about him getting his start being hired by Stevie. Cool Story!

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73

#2887328 - 10/26/17 08:47 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: HammondDave]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: HammondDave
EAGLES/RAMS vs. Stevie Wonder? You may be ousted from this group if you make the wrong choice....

Football game ends at 4, concert starts at 8, only a short distance away.

Yes, there is only one choice: go to both. And I am. thu

dB

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers • Cloud Microphones • Crumar/GSi • elysia GmbH • Reverb Foundry • Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2887334 - 10/26/17 09:32 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
I saw him play at Madison Square Garden back in the 1980s. He absolutely captivated me, and the rest of the audience.

#2894587 - 12/07/17 02:01 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: harmonizer]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Just locked in my tickets. PSYCHED!!!

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2895136 - 12/11/17 10:25 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dreamchilde]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Single worst sound I've experienced in years. Shameful. Amateur. WAY too much drums and bass guitar. Musicians all over that stage, and you couldn't hear most of them. rolleyes

Next to no aux keys, percussion, or guitars when the rhythm section was playing. Poorly used compression. Mics not on at the right time (TONY BENNETT fer chrissakes. facepalm He starts to sing, mic isn't on!!!!). Soloists not turned up. Entire choir not in the main PA to start the show. You Are The Sunshine Of My Love was a complete trainwreck...and he even had the original two backup singers there.

I'm so bummed. I was really looking forward to this show, and the sound freakin' ruined it for me.

People should be f%^&$%g fired. mad

dB

#2895137 - 12/11/17 10:27 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
shocked shocked shocked

#2895139 - 12/11/17 10:28 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: MAJUSCULE]
linwood Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Las Vegas,NV,UNITED STATES
Say it isn't so !! What a drag.

#2895155 - 12/11/17 11:23 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
I was really looking forward to this show, and the sound freakin' ruined it for me.

Sad as it is I posted something very similar when I saw the "Songs In The Key Of Life" tour 2.5 years ago. Apparently nothing has changed. facepalm

#2895160 - 12/11/17 11:37 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: davedoerfler]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
frown

#2895165 - 12/11/17 12:03 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
You Are The Sunshine Of My Love was a complete trainwreck

Damn, that's a shame. It's not often you get to hear a mash-up like that by one of the two original artists.

poke

#2895170 - 12/11/17 12:40 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: harmonizer]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Originally Posted By: harmonizer
I saw him play at Madison Square Garden back in the 1980s. He absolutely captivated me, and the rest of the audience.

Wow... it could be I was present at that concert.
In the seventies I played a concert there, and the acoustics were BAD. So hearing the genius Stevie there was extra special because he had to overcome stage sound

At the end of that show.. I was struck by audience reaction. These was almost 100% SILENCE. Not negatively but analogous to the end of an inspiring church service... like sacred feeling. No talking in NYC!!!!
Does that connect with your Madison Square Garden experience?

#2895259 - 12/11/17 06:29 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Single worst sound I've experienced in years. Shameful. Amateur. WAY too much drums and bass guitar. Musicians all over that stage, and you couldn't hear most of them. rolleyes

Next to no aux keys, percussion, or guitars when the rhythm section was playing. Poorly used compression. Mics not on at the right time (TONY BENNETT fer chrissakes. facepalm He starts to sing, mic isn't on!!!!). Soloists not turned up. Entire choir not in the main PA to start the show. You Are The Sunshine Of My Love was a complete trainwreck...and he even had the original two backup singers there.

I'm so bummed. I was really looking forward to this show, and the sound freakin' ruined it for me.

People should be f%^&$%g fired. mad

dB

Agreed... and what makes it more inexcusable is that these arrangements are the same as they we 40 years ago! For instance, in Golden Lady there is a great Hammond solo that starts the instrumental break, and... silence! Are you freakin kidding me?

Am I crazy, or do modern sound boards have memory presets for every song? Mikes on and off should not be an issue... and how about that feedback?

Ok. This was the fifth time a I have seen Stevie live. The sound was always great. Who was mixing last night?

Now once Innervisions began, it was better... but the first vocal/synth line in Livin’ for the City... and guess what? The ladies’ mikes were off,

And Higher Ground... guess what you couldn’t hear at the top of the song? That’s right, Stevie’s Clavinet!

Embarrassing,

And finally,,, WTF with Ferrell, Dave Matthews, and those other hacks? Starting your real show at 10PM? Dana and I were with friends from London... they said that if anyone pulled that crap in London, the entire audience would walk out and head for the bar... which is exactly what we did when the tap dancer made his appearance.

Edited by HammondDave (12/11/17 06:34 PM)

#2895261 - 12/11/17 06:41 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: HammondDave]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dave... I think you may be too hard on poor Tony... He is 91 and was singing a different arrangement of the song. Poor guy plowed through it his way. Stevie was very generous.

Edited by HammondDave (12/12/17 06:57 AM)

#2895265 - 12/11/17 07:11 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: HammondDave]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here ya go....

Edited by HammondDave (12/11/17 07:12 PM)

#2895276 - 12/11/17 08:35 PM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: HammondDave]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Wow, so sorry to hear how dreadful this was. What a crying shame.

I saw Stevie about 10 years ago at the Monster party at CES. He was absolutely amazing. I can't imagine how this was so mishandled?

#2895289 - 12/12/17 01:40 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: zxcvbnm098]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Originally Posted By: zxcvbnm098
Wow, so sorry to hear how dreadful this was. What a crying shame.

I saw Stevie about 10 years ago at the Monster party at CES. He was absolutely amazing. I can't imagine how this was so mishandled?

Now in spite of my position that the monitors, the artist comes first with regard to optimal sound

This situation you describe with Stevie, does NOT make this old pro sad.. no no, it angers me.
Fired is not the word for it, in my world view. Ass kicked first.

Now DB, you know this world better than I.... how does this happen?
Explain this to us, please. Incompetence merged with indifference.. which is why I suggest a good beating... then fired.
But that is my emotion talking. What are the nuts and bolts details of this degree of incompetence when 2 great artists are demolished by this lack of conscientiousness?

#2895292 - 12/12/17 03:39 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: JazzPiano88]
BRW Offline

Originally Posted By: JazzPiano88

Somehow I got directed to the Greg Phillinganes interview about him getting his start being hired by Stevie. Cool Story!

Off-topic, but the whole Phillinganes Redbull lecture is essential. Really good stuff and an amazing body of work.

#2895330 - 12/12/17 07:01 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: HammondDave]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Dave... I think you may be too hard on poor Tony... He is 91 and was singing a different arrangement of the song. Poor guy plowed through it his way. Stevie was very generous.

Are you talking to me?

If so, I wasn't busting on Tony at all - sorry f that was unclear. I was busting on the sound morons for not turning his mic on. I couldn't believe they had Tony freakin' Bennett show up at this thing and then screwed up what would seem to me to be Job 1!

How do you mess up turning Tony Bennett's mic on?????? C'mon, man!!!!!! idk facepalm

I agree that Innervisions sounded better..but only some. Dave - did you notice that they switched drummers in between the records? The guy playing Talking Book was way louder, the guy plaing Innervisions much more in the pocket. On Innervisions, it was the bass guitar that was overbearing. Totally ruined All In Love Is Fair. I hate them for that. Seriously. mad

dB

#2895333 - 12/12/17 07:11 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: BRW]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Found someone who dances like me... Dave Matthews? Really?

Edited by HammondDave (12/12/17 07:12 AM)

#2895337 - 12/12/17 07:18 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: HammondDave]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Oh, man. The compression is awful - that ain't Dave's phone doing that - and the little feedback squeals...yay. facepalm

So nice to be able to hear the drums - especially the snare and its reverb - so clearly over all those other pesky instruments. rolleyes

dB

#2895341 - 12/12/17 07:25 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Are you talking to me?

If so, I wasn't busting on Tony at all - sorry f that was unclear. I was busting on the sound morons for not turning his mic on. I couldn't believe they had Tony freakin' Bennett show up at this thing and then screwed up what would seem to me to be Job 1!

How do you mess up turning Tony Bennett's mic on?????? C'mon, man!!!!!! idk facepalm

I agree that Innervisions sounded better..but only some. Dave - did you notice that they switched drummers in between the records? The guy playing Talking Book was way louder, the guy plaing Innervisions much more in the pocket. On Innervisions, it was the bass guitar that was overbearing. Totally ruined All In Love Is Fair. I hate them for that. Seriously. mad

dB

I totally agree with you, DB... the second drummer was much better. And the bass was overbearing on AILIF...

I don’t get it... these are all the same arrangements and they forget to bring up instruments and vocals at the right time? Even the superstition clip I posted above has Dave Matthews’ mike off for his first line.

Next year I hope that Stevie returns to the Microsoft venue. Staples was a huge mistake. And when he said that they will start earlier next year, I suggest 6pm. Then I can arrive at 8 and listen to his show.

#2895344 - 12/12/17 07:28 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: Dave Bryce]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So nice to be able to hear the drums - especially the snare and its reverb - so clearly over all those other pesky instruments. rolleyes

dB

You mean like that big wooden thing in the background?

Man, I was so disappointed when the Hammond player smeared up to hit the first note of that lovely solo in Golden Lady and no sound was heard... THE ENTIRE SOLO... GONE! Dana looked at me in a mixture of horror and sadness knowing how I was feeling.

Edited by HammondDave (12/12/17 07:29 AM)

#2895346 - 12/12/17 07:31 AM Re: Stevie Wonder Performing Innervisions and Talking Book [Re: HammondDave]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Dana looked at me in a mixture of horror and sadness knowing how I was feeling.

Exact same with Rhonda looking at me during All In Love Is Fair - she even leaned in and said "I'm sorry, Dave".

I was pretty sure they were gonna get that one right. You and I was nice (just Stevie and the background synth, right?), so I figured without the drums they woudn't screw up AILIF. Boy, was I wrong. Python

I totally feel ya, brother.

dB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner