Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2887025 - 10/25/17 10:53 AM Name that axe!
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Here's a clip of a group from Japan i the mid to later '60's called The Blue Comets. Guitar player using a violin shaped 6-string with a scrolled headstock.

??Possibly a CONRAD? I dunno....little help please...

And Skip, were they really a big deal over there? I mean, they DID wind up on Ed Sullivan.

Edited by whitefang (10/25/17 10:58 AM)

GP Island
#2887028 - 10/25/17 11:05 AM Re: Name that axe! [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
@Whitefang - Searching on Conrad Guitars, I found a photo of a 12-string that looks a lot like the Bass, but that one Guitar on the right? IDK? Never seen anything remotely like it.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2887076 - 10/25/17 02:52 PM Re: Name that axe! [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think I might have found it. Or a copycat at least.

Try searching with Conrad 1402t guitar......

Whitefang

#2887472 - 10/27/17 07:23 PM Re: Name that axe! [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Hmmm, well they are a little before my time. They are almost before my time on Earth! I don`t know a lot about the music of this era, my main interest started more in the 1980s. But apparently it was huge-there is TV special at year-end with all the biggest stars performing-that song got them on the show. Also interesting is that it was the third song in a series, all with the word `Blue` in the title.
Their English pronunciation is good, which hampers a lot of other Japanese bands from having international appeal.

Edited by skipclone 1 (10/27/17 07:24 PM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2887509 - 10/28/17 04:33 AM Re: Name that axe! [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My constant mistake is in thinking we're all about the same age in here. By the 80's I've amassed so much music, starting in the very early '60's, and a bit before. I thought too, that you might ask around about them and find out more.

Not having good English pronunciation isn't really that much of a hindrance. In fact, English doesn't have to even be used. Japanese singer Kyu Sakamoto had a big hit in the U.S. with a song called "Sukiyaki" in the mid '60's. wink Entirely in Japanese. In fact, I often mentioned in here that I at first thought The Yardbirds were a Japanese rock group. Their first U.S. release "For Your Love" had that kind of vibe to it.
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose