Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie Hancock MasterClass

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Any new harmonic or melodic tools revealed in this series?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• 1 year later...
I know I'm a little late to the party on this one but I just finished the Herbie Hancock teaches Jazz MasterClass course and I highly recommend it. I took my time and spent over 3 months getting through all of the modules, absorbing everything, listening to his recommended pieces and practicing.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

How about an outline of what you learned?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I would not call it a master level technical training by any stretch. What I believe that Herbie emphasizes through the course is to be your own musician and make jazz music that is yours and your own, not trying to emulate or sound like Herbie. There's already a Herbie.

I think there were a lot of courses that focused on the mindset of playing jazz - that it's about life and the human experience and not just a recitation of chords, voicings and licks. This helped to set up approaches to improvisation and some methods about improvisation - both individually/solo and with others. There were some good methods around practice and building speed and strength in your fingers - some Hanon and other methods. There were modules in areas like jamming, composing, chord voicings, harmony and reharmonizing and a bit of philosophy about a career as a musician from Herbie.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• 7 months later...
I remember seeing the advertisement for this workshop where Herbie plays something unusual and then he quickly stops and asks "How'd I do that?" I am wondering if he answers his question in the workshop? I might guess he answers something along the lines of that it comes for a lifetime of experience, listening to masters, and being able to relax and free your mind and play in the moment.

the masterclass is a set prerecorded video with Herbie talking a various aspects of music and how he views them. If you're really into Herbie like I am their is always something to learn from his insights. If you looking for some sort of Herbie pedagogy this isn't it this is all about inspiration.