Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POST YOUR MUSIC HERE, To Share It With The Forum!

A String

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I am a singer-songwriter whose songs are mostly pop rock-oriented. I've uploaded several of my songs to my YouTube and SoundCloud:

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOyhuQC773HUKoVPjpS2PTg

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/helliar

Please note that I don't have professional recording equipment and I record my songs at my home, so you can find some audio problems in them, such as microphone buzz. All of these are basically demos, and hopefully they one day get to be properly recorded in an actual studio.

Any feedback is, of course, very appreciated.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Backing Tracks | Jam Tracks with Chords - Tomas Sandanus Guitar

Hi, my name is Tomas (Slovakia), I love guitar and music

I started my YouTube channel in early 2017. I am working on my custom songs for musicians which want to practice the soloing over the track in proper scale/key or simply jamming.

Here is the link for channel -

https://www.youtube.com/tomassandanusguitar

Please subscribe to my channel if my content can help you to improve your music skill or just only for fun

I release a new Backing Track every Monday.

Here are a few songs from my playlist

[video:youtube]

I appreciate any feedback.

Regards. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like some, some I hate. I ask this question because I recently covered Taylor Swift's new song, "Call It What You Want". I made a clean electric version of the tune. I do enjoy this song, but I know pop music is controversial. It's an easy choice when I choose what to cover since it's so searchable and helps bring exposure to me.

The song has only been out for a few days so I had to work quickly to get this one out there. I threw in some fills and decorations too. (That sweep at the start isn't part of the song haha)

Here's the performance if anyone is interested

Let me know what you fellas think. Cheers

The 3 elements of Western music are: melody, harmony, and rhythm.

When I play fingerstyle guitar, I play them all simultaneously.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NCZyxrBJYC5yufPaVAg

As part of my performing, I too keep up with what`s happening on the charts. Some of it is truly terrible. If something sounds good I`ll grab it and learn it-the twist is, that in that case I generally don`t play it. I`ll download the backing track and just sing. I haven`t done any Taylor Swift songs to date. Generally I tend toward things that would play well in a club, EDM or something like that.

BTW very nice playing! it sounds a little rushed in spots, but I know it`s hard with a backing track. Lovely note choices.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Nice tone on that axe at any rate. But concerning your initial question.....

For me it depends. I'm not a performer, so I at least am spared the dilemma of having to make any choice between several songs I can't possibly like, or more that I do. But as a listener, I'd have to say that IMHO, there's little to like in what's being offered these days. But who knows...by the 2020's, it might swing in a different direction and I'll like most of what I hear. At my age I went through a few periods like that. ie: liked the '60's and most of the '70's, found the '80's fairly vapid, but the '90's were good and etc., etc. And of course, it depends too on the genre. And regardless, I take it all song-by-song, but if we're generalizing......

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

That's good work , MoneyMan , & not just on a tech level...expressive & nuanced ! :cool:

If other forum members haven't heard the original (as I hadn't) here's the raw material.

---------------------------------------------

There's a cliche that goes 90+ % of (fill in the art form) is crap.

I think it applies.

BTW & FWIW, although many try to deselect their fave music from the category of "pop", that term simply means popular.

By definition most of the music we hear & discuss here is pop music &, as the mash of global musics (an unintended consequence of The Beatles) creeps ever closer, diffs between genres lessen.

Some will try to argue that point but that attitude generally betrays one's lack of objectivity or a hope to remain distinct from :the masses".

Modern country music, for ex., is & has been for decades the same as country-rock from the 1070s.

Modern rock, regardless of specific style, is an amalgam of the primary time periods LarZ just cited.

Dig: A message from The Wayback Machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnH1ChxE7ZI

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnH1ChxE7ZI

d=halfnote

Sorry D, I didn't mean to confuse the issue or lack context...I think modern Pop is much the same as modern Rock "regardless of specific style", and it too is an "amalgam" of those same time periods (thus the Devo and Ghost Busters time warp comment). I also think Modern Country sucks, while I truly enjoy the Country Rock of the 70's (having played in a Country Rock band from '79 to '84). I don't consider either of them as being the same in any decade...two different genres IMHO.
Take care, Larryz

& some ppl think my clip postings lack context :idk

And this time, it didn't. Good to see you CAN teach a new dog old tricks. :)

I'm not a fan of the original Taylor Swift song, but Big Money did a good job with it.

Pop music - or any kind of music - either you like it or you don't. The following song was recently the #1 song physical single seller in the UK for a couple of weeks. Is that enough for it to be a pop song? Or for it to translate to a slew of radio plays there, or anywhere else? Being an indie band I'll bet the latter is a no.

But couldn't it? Shouldn't it?

Marillion: Living in FEAR

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I always liked that DEVO vid because my GRANDMA used to have LAMPSHADES like those hats they wear in it. :D

We could debate "pop" music(again!) till the cows come home and still settle nothing. It is after all, subjective and a matter of personal likes and dislikes. And the diversity of ages and tastes in this forum means any concensus on the topic will be hard to come by.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!