Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Totally unofficial Mojo 61/Viscount Legend shootout

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you have to sell your Uhl X3, Thomas!

;-)))

As my dad always says: "It''s the player not the instrument"

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

FWIW: I saw Brian Auger in concert yesterday night. He played a Viscount Legend on a B3 like stand with a Korg SV1 on top. The sound was freakin awesome! Completely undistinguishable from his B3.

pics from Hamburg (scroll down)

And there again are these MarkBass 15/2 speakers for keys I was unable to find regardless where I looked.

A.C.

What is he doing with the SV-1?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I mean what sound does he play mostly on it? Rhodes and AP I should assume? I am quite familiar with the SV-1I. I am thinking the piano on ithe SV -1 would cut through the mix, korgs generally do And the sk1 action is rather quick and light. And its footprint is nice on top of organ

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Korg SV1 NOT SK1!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

That reminds me of something I forgot to mention: I also have an original Mojo, and I was really surprised at how much better the 61 sounded. I expected it only to be a slight improvement, but it's in a whole different league.

Really ? It seems to run the same software . I only tried the original . Maybe it is upgraded DA converters ?

I bet there will be a difference between an Intel and

AMD CPU !!!!!

Pianoteq with linux has a lot more punch,

iOS lacks depth and Windows, oh my good,

forget it, muddy muddy muddy....

;-)))

AMD CPU !!!!!

;-)))

Are you claiming that identical code running on different processors sounds noticeably different? Or that the different OSes run different code and that's why it sounds different?

This is the first time I've heard claims that software, not hardware, causes sound differences. Please elaborate.

Moe

---

I mean what sound does he play mostly on it? Rhodes and AP I should assume?

thanks for clarifying, I read it differently. Many years ago he would have a Rhodes piano on top of his B3 if that helps answer your question, but I think you already knew that. ;)

:nopity:

AMD CPU !!!!!

;-)))

Are you claiming that identical code running on different processors sounds noticeably different? Or that the different OSes run different code and that's why it sounds different?

This is the first time I've heard claims that software, not hardware, causes sound differences. Please elaborate.

Brother MG, I would also be really interested in this if true. I recently stopped using Ubuntu as I just don't have a need but never tried running Pianoteq on it.

:nopity:

Guys, he is joking.

You got it !

:-)

He used to have an old Korg something or another.

Korg SG-1D

The last time I saw him (3 or 4 years ago) he played a Numa Piano.

Korg SG-1D

The last time I saw him (3 or 4 years ago) he played a Numa Piano.

KORG SG was his top board for a very long time.

Next was a KORG M3 88

Numa Piano in between for a short time ...

KORG M3 88 again,- and now it´s a SV-1.

I think he´s KORG endorsee since a long time and wonder why he didn´t appear w/ the new KORG Grandstage 73.

He also used the SG w/ Eric Burdon/ Brian Auger Band in the 90s and together w/ KORG M1 and Polysix (or Poly61) w/ wooden "VOCE" branded endcaps, the Polysix triggering a VOCE organ module.

There´s a damn great german TV "Ohne Filter Extra" gig on youtube w/ that band and rig and he played his ass off while noone cared about if there´s a Hammond or not.

I guess he now might be Viscount endorsee too.

B.t.w., I downloaded some 2017 Oblivion Express footprint where he´s useing the Legend and the SV-1 and compared identical songs to former performances when he used his Organ-Planet Hammond chop and I disagree on the Viscount Legend sounds the same.

It doesn´t,- and he simply plays on it as good as he did on the real thing.

IMO the best sound he had in the 70s w/ his original B3 and a Fender Rhodes on top, the stuff running thru the Bison Echorec into a guitar amphead and 4x12 cab(s).

When watching the oct.17 Spirit of 66/Verviers (belgium) gig, the organ sounds much cleaner than ever before and, at least to my taste, there´s some overdose of reverb on everything which I never experienced before.

That said, I think the Viscount Legend is a good organ which might receive updates making it even better, but I´m unsure about if it is soundwise significantly or at all better than Mojo61 or UHL.

I´d also be interested in which organ has the lowest latency and my guess is it´s still a HX3 based organ w/ keys connected directly to the engine and because of the FPGA design.

A.C.

Hi,

I'm a Legend Live owner of a few months.

So far, I am drawn to playing it for extended periods. Hours just seem to disappear. I am getting to grips with all the controls and invariably it sounds utterly stunning which is amazing considering the short time I have owned it.

Now I know I have not said anything technical above, but for me it's all about enjoyment and the playing experience.

My only neutral (not negative) observation is that I could have done with more than two presets for each manual. I can live with that though.

Chris

... Legend Live ...

My only neutral (not negative) observation is that I could have done with more than two presets for each manual.

Yep, that´s strange because the Legend SOLO already comes w/ 4 (four) presert memory locations plus 1 set of drawbars for each manual in "dual mode"!

("Dual mode" means, you play "upper" on the local action and "lower" on an external keyboard connected via MIDI).

The "only 2 presets per manual" issue, for me is a dealbreaker also for the Crumar MOJO61.

Yesterday I listened to the NUMA Organ 2 demos and watched the KRAFT vids w/ Chris M..

Seems it´s the only single manual clone for about EUR 1K coming w/ 11 presets plus the set of drawbars for each manual.

I found the version 2 to be improved over the version 1 and had the impression it could be a good compromize also because the action is reported to be closer to the real deal than any other Fatar TP-O61 in other clones seems to be.

Leslie sim and C/V sounded good to my ears too.

To work around the not so satisfying overdrive, I wondered if there might be some cable-adapter to connect p.ex. a Vent to the 11-pin Leslie connector and operate rotor speeds and stop/run form NUMA Organ 2 local controls.

Does that exist ?

A.C.

... Legend Live ...

My only neutral (not negative) observation is that I could have done with more than two presets for each manual.

Yep, that´s strange because the Legend SOLO already comes w/ 4 (four) presert memory locations plus 1 set of drawbars for each manual in "dual mode"!

("Dual mode" means, you play "upper" on the local action and "lower" on an external keyboard connected via MIDI).

The "only 2 presets per manual" issue, for me is a dealbreaker also for the Crumar MOJO61.

Yesterday I listened to the NUMA Organ 2 demos and watched the KRAFT vids w/ Chris M..

Seems it´s the only single manual clone for about EUR 1K coming w/ 11 presets plus the set of drawbars for each manual.

I found the version 2 to be improved over the version 1 and had the impression it could be a good compromize also because the action is reported to be closer to the real deal than any other Fatar TP-O61 in other clones seems to be.

Leslie sim and C/V sounded good to my ears too.

To work around the not so satisfying overdrive, I wondered if there might be some cable-adapter to connect p.ex. a Vent to the 11-pin Leslie connector and operate rotor speeds and stop/run form NUMA Organ 2 local controls.

Does that exist ?

A.C.

I posted a review in this group a few days ago. I think that the Numa Organ 2 is great.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

I wondered if there might be some cable-adapter to connect p.ex. a Vent to the 11-pin Leslie connector and operate rotor speeds and stop/run form NUMA Organ 2 local controls.

Does that exist ?

A.C.

I posted a review in this group a few days ago. I think that the Numa Organ 2 is great.

Yes, but please re-read ...

I´m interested in controling an ext. leslie sim (VENT) via 11-pin connector using local controls on NUMA organ 2.

IIRC, that worked w/ H/S Sk-1 and/or XK1-C.

A.C.

I'm so confused! I keep going back and forth between a HX3 expander and the Legend solo. They are the same price. It would be used with my CP4 and/or Nord C1. Obviously the expander has no keyboard but is much smaller/lighter and would be a perfect complement to the C1 but would require splitting the CP4 (or bringing another keyboard). That's something I need to figure out but the main question is the sound! Doesn't seem like there is a consensus, particularly when throwing the leslie sim into the mix. I do have a Vent which would take the sim out of the picture. Now, add the Numa 2 to the list. Unfortunately I have no way to compare these 3 options. I also acknowledge how subjective these comparisons are. Any advice greatly appreciated.

wouldnt it just involve pins 6, 7, and 8 at the leslie

connection ? 6 -common

7 - fast

8 - slow , the audio output at the plug is

boosted for a leslie , so you'd be better off using

the line level outout on the numa .any tech people out there ,

correct me if i'm wrong

Thank you !

The only from Thomann available cable for the VENT is the one for the Hammond SK-1 and that´s 8-pin.

So DIY is the way to go when buying the NUMA 2 or any other w/ 11-pin connector.

You say Pin #6 = common.

What does "common" mean in that case ?

On the NUMA-2´s 11-pin, pin #6 is "control circuit" (whatever that means).

I have no clue about Leslie electronics but functionality wise, I´d need start/stop (brake), slow/fast and the correct audio signal level for p.ex. the VENTs input as well.

When the audio signal is boosted for a real leslie operation, IMO it can be tamed, maybe by using a resistor, no ?

When using such an adapter cable w/ an external leslie sim, it makes sense using the stereo output w/ internal sim in addition, may it be for double leslie sim or alternately and the mono lineout as well, maybe running into a (guitar-) tube amp.

So I`d prefer taking the audio signal to VENT from the 11-pin connector.

The pinout of the NUMA 2´s 11-pin leslie connector is:

Pin #7 and #8 is pretty clear, but I dunno what to use for "brake" and the pure (mono ?) audio signal because there are 4 available (see below).

1 Audio (Rotary)

2 Audio (Stationary)

3 Audio (Aux 1)

4 Ground

5 Control Supply

6 Control Circuit

7 Fast

8 Slow

9 Speed Adjust

10 Audio (Aux 2)

11 +29 VDC

I didn´t buy the NUMA 2 up to now but want to know if it´s possible making such a cable for the VENT.

B.t.w.,- on the Viscount Legend Solo, the 11-Pin Leslie connector pinout is:

1: Audio +

4: Audio GND

5 - 6: common of speed switch

7: Fast

8: Slow

A.C.