Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2885406 - 10/16/17 05:54 PM Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str)
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I don't have a lot of experience with acoustics, but wanted to pick one up for home. I play occasional R. Guitar live with my Explorer, but would like something acoustic/electric for home that is good enough to jam with.

I was really wanting to just spend maybe $150 or so on something used but looks like most of the ones that are catching my eye are starting more around $300.

Here is a local Craigslist search with limits set 50mi from my house and $75-$300. I think I'd like a cutaway.

CLONK

Some of the brands I don't recognize. Of the rest, I'm looking at Yamaha, Breedlove, Alvarez, and Takamine.

Any opinions? Obviously, as with any acoustic, I'm going to have to check it out to make sure there aren't any issues with warped necks, fret buzz, setup, etc. But I don't want to waste my time checking out a bunch of crappy guitars. I'd like to narrow it down to a few if possible based on recommendations.

Thanks!

Edited by J. Dan (10/16/17 05:55 PM)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

GP Island
#2885419 - 10/16/17 07:20 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: J. Dan]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I like Epiphone and Takamine's for the price. Of the ones you have pictured on CL, I would check out that Breedlove for $300. cool

#2885434 - 10/16/17 10:06 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: Larryz]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I like Epiphone and Takamine's for the price. Of the ones you have pictured on CL, I would check out that Breedlove for $300. cool

Thank you. That was sort of what I was thinking. Curious about Epiphone. In my electic guitars, they were sort of the squire to fender like epiphone to Gibson. I know in the past they were valuable. So can you guys please elaborate in the acoustic world on epiphone? I hear that name and thing the same as squire. Is that not the case? I mean, I know it wasn't the case back in the 50's and 60's, but now? I just see Epiphone and think lower tier from Gibson. Is that not the case?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2885435 - 10/16/17 10:09 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: Larryz]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Yea I'm really looking at that one and the takamine. I'm kind of fond of the Alverez since they come from St. Louis Music...and....well....I'm in St. Louis. They are made in Asia, I know But I was told by a trustworthy source that competitors buy them from the same Asian manufacturer and just send them out. St. Louis Music (Alverez) brings them in and reworks them, tests them, and sets them up before putting them on the market.

#2885452 - 10/17/17 04:20 AM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: J. Dan]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I suppose it all comes down to personal tastes and budget.

Indeed, Squier, like Epiphone, was it's own company until hard times caused it to be able to be acquired and absorbed by Fender as Epiphone was by Gibson. The main difference was that the Squier name was kept under wraps until Fender decided to put out a lower priced line of Fender styled guitars. Epiphone still in some fashion has it's name on several original designs not found in the higher priced Gibson stable.

Personally, I prefer a "Florentine" cutway over the typical "bumped against a table" looking cutaways used by many makers(Takamine especially) these days. So if I were to eventually get an acoustic/electric, and already an Epiphone acoustic owner and quite satisfied, I'd opt for their PR-5E model. It's well been around long enough for some good used ones to be available. But as I startd out with....

It's all a matter of personal taste, so it's up to you. smile
Whitefang

#2885468 - 10/17/17 07:08 AM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: J. Dan]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: J. Dan

Yea I'm really looking at that one and the takamine. I'm kind of fond of the Alverez since they come from St. Louis Music...and....well....I'm in St. Louis. They are made in Asia, I know But I was told by a trustworthy source that competitors buy them from the same Asian manufacturer and just send them out. St. Louis Music (Alverez) brings them in and reworks them, tests them, and sets them up before putting them on the market.

Great Guitar company, lousy U.S. distributor, IME. My only two pure Acoustic Guitars are both Alvarez Guitars, and I love them both. One is a mid-1980's 6-string MIJ, the other a more recent 12-string MIC. The 12-string comes from their Masterworks series, all solid woods, beautifully done. I saw no indication that SLM did anything to set up any of the Guitars before shipping out to stores, and I sold Alvarez for years.

Beware of the Alvarez budget line, the Regent series, IIRC? Not as well made, less attention to QC. The Artist series is next up the line, but still, it's a better-quality budget line. In fairness, low-end Takamines are about the same, as far as QC. I've played both lines, and sold both lines, so I've handled a lot of them. Takamine's bottom-of-the-budget line is Jasmine; don't even bother.

Sorry to say, don't count on much in the way of product support from SLM: I used to have to work with there sales reps, and customer service people, and getting them to deal with warranty issues was a nightmare. Can't say how many minor repairs and adjustments we made at our expense, to keep customers happy.

Edited by Winston Psmith (10/17/17 07:10 AM)

http://www.novparolo.com

#2885474 - 10/17/17 08:02 AM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Listen to Winston in this case as he's been in the bizz...

+1 Epiphone is to Gibson what Squire is to Fender. But, for the difference in quality and price Epiphone gets the nod as they are unbeatable IMHO. There was a time back in the day when Squires were made in Japan and were every bit as good as an American Strat. They are hard to find. One of my buds has one and I wouldn't think twice if one came on the market and the guy didn't think it was worth a couple hundred...

The new Epi's on the market play like butter and use USA made Gibson 57 humbuckers and P90's with quality pots. A $4,000 Gibson has a hard time selling when the Epi will sound and play just as good for a $1,000.

Back in the day, Epi was as good as any Gibson but then they went overseas. They went down hill a little but so did the prices. These days they are making a serious come back as the Korean's know their stuff. Takamines made in Japan are serious contenders for the price. Acoustic or Electric, The price range new that I'm interested enough to have bought a Takamine is $1,000. Their 12 strings are second to none when it comes to playability and durability. Very good sound too!

Like Fang said, go for what you like. I have a few Taylors and you're looking at $1,500 to $3,000 in that department.

Just a few thoughts, but I have heard good things on that Breedlove, so I would have a look-see on that one for $300. cool

#2885501 - 10/17/17 12:32 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Just a few thoughts, but I have heard good things on that Breedlove, so I would have a look-see on that one for $300. cool

+1 Larryz. Of everything I saw listed, that Breedlove was the most interesting.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2885510 - 10/17/17 01:17 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: Winston Psmith]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
While I like a lot of Yamahas, the ones shown here are, in my opinion, smaller bodied and a bit shrill; don't sound as full as I'd like.
Avoid the Estebans & Austins, Fender & Dean.
I'd lean towards the Takamine G Series EG 334 RC, the Alvarez AD30CE and the Breedlove.

Oddly enough, though, that Hohner might be a hidden gem.

#2908569 - 02/10/18 01:21 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: J. Dan]
rufasuve Offline

Loc: Australia
I really like Yamaha guitars. They are a company that offers everything from budget to professional level. You may be able to pick up a second hand Yamaha FSX315C Folk Acoustic/Electric Guitar. They are good value for money. If you are willing to save a bit more money for a better guitar, I would go for the Almansa 435 cutaway. Check out the review on it at http://www.doremistudios.com.au/almansa-cutaway-435-guitar-review/

#2908573 - 02/10/18 02:18 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: rufasuve]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I’d give that Ovation a look. I’ll second the recommendation for Yamahas, and echo the warning about low-end Alvarez guitars. (I’ve owned guitars of all 3 brands.)

If you find a Seagull, Breedlove or Tacoma in your price range, give it a look.

Godin- the company that makes Seagull- also makes acoustics under the brand names of Art & Lutherie, Norman, La Patrie, and Simon & Patrick. I’d consider those worthy of consideration as well.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (02/10/18 02:23 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2908583 - 02/10/18 03:17 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

WELCOME ABOARD RUFASUVE! thu

#2917447 - 03/26/18 09:47 AM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: Larryz]
rufasuve Offline

Loc: Australia
Thank you

#2917496 - 03/26/18 01:09 PM Re: Looking for Acoustic Electric (6-str) [Re: rufasuve]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Ibanez has some decent acoustics at that price point.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose