Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Totally unofficial Mojo 61/Viscount Legend shootout

Having both a Mojo 61 and a Legend Live I must say I find the tone excellent on both. To me it boils down to ergonomics, number of drawbars and Leslie interface. I am often using a Leslie 3300, sometimes a Ventilator cabled for the 11 pins Leslie interface, the lack of this on the Mojo is annoying. Have been thinking about switching the Mojo with a Legend Solo. Very confusing with just a single set of drawbars when playing dual manual organ from a bottom controller/piano. Solving this with an Ocean Beach drawbar controller. Give a little plus to the Legend leslie sim, maybe the C3 on the Mojo is slightly more authentic. Marginal differences, hard for me to prefer one above the other.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AP is sampled. We will improve :cool:
IMHO the sustain pedal feature is too wet; the Harp control does little to alleviate it, otherwise it is not that bad but definitely the weakest of all of the instruments in the Gemini. Why wasn't the AP start point trim not moved to the Gemini in the latest update?

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

You mentioned some of these items while you were trying both, but I didn't realized you had covered so much ground.

I was having Beth distract you with jokes while I poked around under the hood. A jazz chord! :D

:roll:

This makes me happy! This tells me that we are in the right way with physical modeling... you, as customer, easily recognize how better is this kind of approach in sound design VS sampling. Indeed Rhodes, Wurly and Clav on Mojo61 are modeled, AP is sampled. We will improve :cool:
:love:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This makes me happy! This tells me that we are in the right way with physical modeling... you, as customer, easily recognize how better is this kind of approach in sound design VS sampling. Indeed Rhodes, Wurly and Clav on Mojo61 are modeled, AP is sampled. We will improve :cool:

Agree absolutely. Ever since back in the infant days of modelling-like behavior with my Roland MKS-20, modelled instruments have always impressed me with an instant player connection. While their authenticity has not always been the best, it gets better every day (see Pianoteq.)

Moe

---

Yes it does. I don't recall how many but at least 10. Each slot is loadable via the WIFI editor. Each slot saves the entire set up (organ, EPs).

Thanks, Mitch. I saw something called "Snapshots" in the PDF manual, accessed via the editor, maybe that's it.

The more time I spend evaluating Hammond clones, the more I realize one thing -

Everyone seeks something different. Almost no two people hear things the same or do things the same way.

After all the positive feedback and even meeting Guido and Andrea at NAMM , I lusted for a Crumar Mojo for many years. At NAMM I barely got a chance to hear what it could do.

In May of this year I got my hands on a Mojo 61.

I really wanted this to work out for me, but after having a Numa for many years and recently an HX3 I could not get the Mojo to give me what I needed.

I have already posted as to why that was back when I had the Mojo. I also thought that having the pianos would be a decider for me, but that was also not the case.

The big reason is I am just used to hearing something else.

As far as the Key B is concerned I really like the bass capabilities and the leslie sim. I think the CV is also outstanding on this....as is the new overdrive. As far as key click, all of the digital stuff sounds artificial to me and I don't even like too much click on a real console.

Right now my clone is an HX3 with a Hammond XK2 controller. Great key feel on the Hammond, and I have the HX3 CV about 98 percent dialed in.I think they still need to address the top 2 or 3 notes on 888000000 3rd harmonic. Otherwise so far so good.

In the future I will have a Key B or we will see what happens if Crumar does an update.

Very interesting comments on these two great clones. I have had a Legend and Legend Live for a while and just received a Mojo. Actually t was my second Mojo. First one was DOA and it took me a few weeks to decide to try again. This new Mojo is excellent. The build quality is very good - about as good as a Legend. The sounds seem very close to me. A little different but I cannot say one is better than another.

I do not hear any latency in the Mojo, which was an issue mentioned by Jim A in his comments. The Leslie simulations are very comparable. I cannot really tell a difference between them. I can tell a difference between these digital simulations and my 3300. However I think that much of this difference has to do with the interaction with room acoustics and the actual rotational swirling of the sounds.

The quality of the drawbars on the Mojo is very good. They seem even more substantial than other clones, including the Legend and XK5.

Thomas Shea

Nebraska

I think the mojo might have some small latency . But I only had the feeling in the first seconds after having played a hammond sk 1 ( it was apparently broken , produced hanging notes ) in a store . Brain adjusts immediately , no problem for me. The viscount legend in the store had some problems, too. Halfmoon had a contact problem , tremolo only worked slightly bending it. The C/V dial was not showing the setting you were hearing.

I really liked the percussion on the viscount and that you can tweak it with dials . On YouTube videos I thought it sounded a bit synthetic but I did not have that impression in the store . And I like the soft/ normal switch . The mojo does not seem to have that (?) . Both sounded and felt good . I did not find the EP on the mojo , how do you dial that in ?

I did not find the EP on the mojo , how do you dial that in ?
Mojo or Mojo 61? They are different. On the 61 you change the Type (far right) to EP and then switch between them using the A/B preset buttons on either side of the drawbars (Left to right they are Rhodes, Wurly, Clav, and acoustic piano).

I'm sure whatever EPs are in the original Mojo are documented in the manual as well.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I did not find the EP on the mojo , how do you dial that in ?
Mojo or Mojo 61?

Sorry , forgot to mention , in the store they only had the original mojo dual manual . That one did already have the updated keybed which does feel nice.

The modeled sounds in the mojo 61 do not suffer from latency, they are very quick to respond. You can run at high speed. The acoustic piano is its only non-modeled sound, it is sample based, and it feels late when I play it. It has been said that there will be an update for it. Hopefully it will become modeled too.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I would think modelling an acoustic piano is far more difficult than modelling Rhodes, Wurli, etc. Modartt and Roland have been working on it for years and still there are people who don't like the sound.

Maybe if Guido and Andrea focused on modelling a piano solely for live use, intended to sacrifice some harmonic complexity to be able to cut through a mix better, it would be easier to get a decent one done quickly and with relatively low computer resources required.

Roland doesnt really try to clarify the technology behind its piano engines, but the way I think of it is that SuperNatural refers to modelling built on top of samples, while their V-Piano is more fully modelled.

My original point, though, is that Roland and Modartts modelled pianos are considered the best around at the moment, and still many seem to prefer the big sampled piano libraries. It may be a long while, then, for Guido and Andrea to come out with a very good modelled acoustic piano sound. I hope they have an innovative approach and are coding geniuses so the new Mojo73 has a great modelled AP. But logic would dictate we should keep our expectations low and hope for a well-modelled live piano rather than something to compete with Pianoteq and the V-Piano.

My original point, though, is that Roland and Modartts modelled pianos are considered the best around at the moment, and still many seem to prefer the big sampled piano libraries.

OT: I prefer Pianoteq 6 to any sampled piano library. It was a real game changer for me.

JMTC. Back to topic. ;-)

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

What is Mojo73? Is that their announcement?
No, just some including FKS' wish.

If anyone would suddenly make a killer modeled acoustic piano, it would be Guido.

My wish; 76 or 88 note with pitch and mod wheels. Maybe based off the DMC-122 form factor. The ultimate "take one board to the gig solution". Would sell like hotcakes!

Well we will just have to standby for the news from GSI:

https://www.facebook.com/GenuineSoundware/photos/a.537502179674328.1073741828.532502670174279/1409485209142683/?type=3&theater

With the combo 73-key/waterfall key form factor competition heating up with the Vox Continental ($2199) and the Roland VR-730 ($1499)...maybe a DMC-73/Mojo 73 can slide in between in price with its top class tone-wheel organ models/rotary sim and growing stable of modeled and sampled-based instruments. What does Guido have cooking in the lab??? :keys2:

With the combo 73-key/waterfall key form factor competition heating up with the Vox Continental ($2199) and the Roland VR-730 ($1499)

there's also this...

http://www.dexibell.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=80

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)