Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2884541 - 10/11/17 09:26 PM Are you complacent with your gear?
The Zombie MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
I know I am... my acquisition has slowed way down, and there hasn't been any new gear in the last five years that has induced GAS. I have a lot of old gear from 1970s/80s/90s, and I have not found any compelling reason to replace them.

Not that there isn't anything good being made these days - I just don't NEED any more stuff. Keyboards, effects, amps, speakers, accessories... got everything I could want.

It's great to see the renaissance in modulars these days, but I started out with a PAiA modular back in 1981 and am not anxious to get back into modulars.

Another reason... I'm tired of reading manuals to learn new keyboards. There's no avoiding it as desktop or laptop computers advance, but I made a conscious decision years ago to minimize learning curves and/or choose interfaces that are intuitive.

Weight doesn't concern me as it does other players. Hammond players are always trying to lighten their tonewheels or clonewheels so I can understand their need.

Who else is complacent?

KC Island
#2884545 - 10/11/17 09:35 PM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: The Zombie MC]
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
I'm always looking for better speakers/amplification but for now I am not in the market for any keyboards or VSTi's or guitars or effects pedals/racks. If I had the gear I have today 30 years ago, no telling where I would be now. (Probably on the corner with a cardboard sign.) grin

#2884546 - 10/11/17 09:38 PM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: The Zombie MC]
OB Grave Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Diego CA, US
Complacent? No, not complacent. But I am currently in a place of contentment. I think I am as happy with my gig rig as I've ever been (Stage 2, Mojo 61, my lil pancake Leslie, K10s). I gig with it at least weekly and it does everything I want it to do. It's the best sounding rig I've ever had, and set up is the easiest it's ever been for me with a two keyboard setup. So yes, I'm content.

But..... I am working on one thing though: I would like to be able to drop the Stage 2 for some gigs, but unfortunately the Mojo doesn't have any signal routing. A couple days ago I sent off for PCB fabrication a little circuit that will route the Mojo's output to one of two sets of output jacks, depending on what program was most recently selected. So I can send organ to to the Leslie and everything else to the K10s and have the signal switching be automatic.

#2884553 - 10/12/17 12:10 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: OB Grave]
GRollins Offline

Complacent? Content?

I'd better be...I've spent far more on keyboards this year than I could possibly have foreseen back on January 1st. But a Hammond A-100 came up for sale at an impossibly low price, then a Kronos at a very good (not impossible, but really good) price, and I thought surely I was done. Not so. Contracted a case of GAS and got a Motif rack unit for an average price. All told, more than I had any business spending on keyboards--not even my primary instrument. So I need to slow down. A lot. I'm retired and can't continue this rate of acquisition, no matter how much my inner Rick Wakeman might wish to do so.

Are there things that might tempt me?

Yeah, I guess. I've got a Moog Little Phatty, but it's a two oscillator jobby...if somehow a Voyager drifted by at a stupidly low price I might get revved up. Three oscillators would be pretty cool. A big Yamaha? Honestly, I don't know. The Motif rack unit is an XS, so theoretically I've got the guts of a two-generation-back Yamaha, plus the somewhat idiosyncratic selection of voices in my MM8. I don't know that an XF or Montage would add all that much to my tonal palette at this time. Nords and Rolands? I don't know that I'm all that attracted to either. So...barring some wildcard thing popping up really cheap and warping my judgement, I guess I really am fairly satisfied at the moment.

You know what I really want? Time. I need to practice, so as to be able to play the things I hear in my head. If, somehow, I could get some time, I'd be pretty happy about that acquisition. Sadly, things seem to be running the other way. Twelve hours ago I learned that I'm going to need to spend more time on some things that I hadn't planned on, so I don't know where/when I'll find the time to practice, but that's life.

Phooey.

At least practice/play time is cheap--less expensive than time spent buying, at any rate.

Grey

#2884560 - 10/12/17 03:40 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: GRollins]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

I wouldn't say I'm "complacent" but I'm certainly content with my NS2SW, downstairs hammer 88 and IEMs.

I'm looking for a lower-tier weighted-7x controller for not too much $// but that's for convenience, not playing pleasure.

Cheers, Mike.

#2884561 - 10/12/17 03:48 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: The Zombie MC]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Content here. Haven't purchased any new gear in 4+ years. I still visit music stores from time to time, but haven't been very excited about anything.

The only new toy that grabbed my attention recently is the Roland D-05. I might get one when I receive one of those 20% discount coupons from GC.

#2884566 - 10/12/17 04:21 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Synthoid]
Frightful Mike Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not complacent, but temporary satisfied. I have more than I need at this point, and have refined my gear to a useful, logical point. Spent some time selling and buying and have things in a pretty good state. I have occasion to be in music stores where nothing really gets me too excited. Lots of cool stuff, but I just don't really need anything, nor can I justify it. I am in the process of servicing the vintage gear.

#2884571 - 10/12/17 05:08 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Frightful Mike]
SkiGuy777 Offline

Loc: Plantation FL
Weekend Warrior. Same gear for 20 years. Hammond XK2 and a Korg 01W/FD. It has all the sounds I need. I never upgraded because I programmed some combis with splits and layers for cover songs and didn't want to program them again. The Trinity and Triton didn't blow me away, they seemed like minor upgrades. I played one in a band room for rehearsals and didn't have GAS for it, so I stayed with my 01W.

The Kronos? That would be nice but I don't need it. I play an 88 key version at rehearsal along with a Hammond XK5. The setup is nice, but it's big, takes 2 people to move.

The latest purchase I made was buying a Neo Vent2 for the XK2, and that was worth it. Here's the rig on a gig.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/SolidBrass0214171mp001.jpg
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/SolidBrass0214171mp002.jpg

And this is what I play at the rehearsal room, the band leader owns it. He plays bass but can also play keys.
http://www.quatraine3.com/tw2017/RehearsalRoom032317l1mp018.jpg

#2884573 - 10/12/17 05:12 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Frightful Mike]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
I tend to upgrade gear every few years. Right now I'm content with my FA08, Electro 5d, and Nord Lead A1 in my gig rig. I got the E5 last Nov and the A1 in Jan 2016. I've had the FA since March of 2014.

The FA08 will be the next thing replaced but I'm not sure what will replace it. Probably a Kronos or some other workstation that I can trigger 1 shot samples with from a button/pad.

My wife has placed a "divorce moratorium" on any new purchases for the time being. We're having a master suite addition put on our house and don't really need the expense of a new keyboard right now.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2884575 - 10/12/17 05:22 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: SkiGuy777]
Phoney R Wakeman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
such a subjective and quirky topic but worthwhile to check the pulse here since there is a large variety of usage.

I am a song writer so its essential to preserve my portfolio/format of songs. My + 6 year Kronos is an excellent song writing partner. However, I am concerned about longevity of the hardware and the Song format. Not that I have any inside Korg knowledge. I plan for eventual replacement.

My other platform is MainStage/MBP/Omnisphere. In experimental mode as the variety and quality is excellent.

Other than a widget here or there, I see little need to make changes/additions.

#2884576 - 10/12/17 05:28 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: DanL]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: DanL

My wife has placed a "divorce moratorium" on any new purchases for the time being. We're having a master suite addition put on our house and don't really need the expense of a new keyboard right now.

I don't see the problem idk
(nsfw)

#2884578 - 10/12/17 05:46 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Phoney R Wakeman]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I'm not complacent, but I am satisfied. It's only in the past couple of years that I've been able to say this about my portable gear. After decades of being unsatisfied I now actually look forward to playing my portable gear. It used to distract me from playing music and now it inspires me. There are really good times for portable keyboard gear and amplification!

Big thanks to the KC forum members for repeatedly helping me find great gear smile The knowledge, experience, and talent on this forum is amazing!

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2884579 - 10/12/17 05:53 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Al Quinn]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Not complacent but satisfied sometimes. I don't know all of these keyboards are the same to me. I used to flip a lot of gear and try not to get attached to it. The last thing I felt connected to was the Hammond XK-3C which didn't get any love on this forum but I still really liked that thing until I had to sell it to a church down south after sand got in the motherboard at a gig. Nothing really excites me anymore though. Unearthing an old Leslie or finding one hidden away somewhere is much more interesting.

noblevibes.com

#2884583 - 10/12/17 06:10 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Outkaster]
Phreakay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
More than satisfied, with all the MainStage and other VI's I have collected, and mostly use, there isn't anything in the way of sounds that I feel deprived of, or for that matter that there is something out there that sounds significantly better than what I have.

Plus for me this forum is a gas killer, rare to read a favourble comment on any controller so don't have any lust to upgrade.

#2884584 - 10/12/17 06:17 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Synthoid]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

If I didn't gig, I could be content with what I've got. (Maybe I'd add a two-manual clonewheel, or get my old real thing working again.) But it's trying to get all that sound and functionality into something super portable that keeps tripping me up, keeping me hoping that better options will appear.

If I were willing to gig with 5 boards, I could have everything I want at a gig, but I can't get everything I want in 2 or even 3, at least within my weight limit. I could probably reasonably get it down to three if I added a laptop, though. That would take sounds out of the equation, and I could choose the boards based only on the non-sonic qualities (i.e. action, ergonomics, travel weight). Even then, I couldn't yet get it down to two.

My next purchase will likely be replacing my Nord Electro 5D with a Stage 3-73. In theory, if I added a laptop, I might finally be able to get what I want out of two boards. As it is, sounds aside, with a weighted 88 on bottom, there is no second "organ and synth" board that will give me drawbars and aftertouch, so I have ergonomic/functional limitations right off the bat, which is why even with a laptop, I'd currently need three boards, just to play everything with the right "feel" (which includes drawbar manipulation for organ and aftertouch for synth). Before the NS3-73, the only possibility for this would have been the old Roland VR-760, but it's too heavy. (But will the NS3 be perfect? No... Nord's SW actions are more highly sprung than I'd prefer, and the NS3 has only 5 direct patch select buttons.) Of course, the idea of buying a $3700 NS3-73 merely as a controller is a bit of overkill. A Numa Organ 2 and a Samson Graphite 49 would get you nice feeling drawbar and aftertouch boards for under $1300. That's a huge premium just to be able to set up 2 boards instead of 3. But as I said, this was "in theory" and I'm still not up for the laptop-only approach, and I will actually use the sounds in the Nord.

This year, I did a number of gigs with 3 boards, and even then, I didn't have aftertouch. I could have selected a different three that would have given me aftertouch in the rig, but it would have meant having a less desirable action on my 88. Always trade-offs. Which is why I'm never content.

OTOH...

Originally Posted By: SkiGuy777
Weekend Warrior. Same gear for 20 years.

Early this century, my typical gig rig was a Casio PX500L and a Yamaha S30, and the fact is, I could really still do most of my gigs just fine on that combination. In fact, the two still have some of my favorite actions.

#2884597 - 10/12/17 07:39 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: AnotherScott]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
I have reached a temporary point of parity. Most of the music I play is piano centric, and I have plenty of high quality gear. I've been more focused lately on just learning how to play piano better, and new gear isn't going to help that any.

The exception to this is my jazz fusion band. I'm always thinking about how to get a better setup to accommodate the different sounds I need: AP, EP, organ and lead synth. I bought the Stage 2EX for a single keyboard solution, since a lot of what we do requires fast setup and tear down. I did recently add a Minifooger MF Drive pedal to fatten up the lead sounds, as the Stage's synth voice a tad thin.

But . . . It's really an exercise in diminishing returns. The fusion band doesn't play enough to warrant any significant investment. As a result, I find satisfaction in optimizing what I have. And, as someone above said, I'm too old and tired to learn a new UI or programming paradigm.

I used to do a lot of synth programming in the 80's, and the new affordable synths all look like they'd be fun to own. But it would only consume the spare time I already don't have, and I really have no place to use them outside of my home. I would prefer to use that time practicing and building up my piano repertoire.

I also feel like I haven't scratched the surface of the stuff I do own.

All that being said, I am tempted to trade my current K8's up for a pair of K8.2's, damn you Chuck! laugh

#2884605 - 10/12/17 08:06 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: DarkyLord]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: DarkyLord
Originally Posted By: DanL

I don't see the problem idk
(nsfw)

lol! smile
www.echoesrocks.com

#2884606 - 10/12/17 08:09 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: AnotherScott]
alien_evil Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Very happy with my home studio gear. I did a necessary Mac upgrade over the past year, plus MIDI and audio interfaces. I went to computer-based mixing, which freed up some space and eliminated a lot of cabling. So between that and a handful of keyboards/modules that rarely go out, I'm good for a long time.

Live, I'm quite satisfied - strangely enough. The RD-2000 and Hammond SK-1 73 cover a lot of territory. Though I hope Roland makes their next Axial RD release a vintage synth set (vs yet another block of niche, digital pianos HeadPop ; three is more than enough, thank you..). I'd rather not have to deal with a third keyboard, or module, to cover that ground.

#2884608 - 10/12/17 08:16 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: alien_evil]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
I'm pretty happy. Just upgraded my amp (SpaceStation) and FOH (QSC K 10.2). I'm in a mode where I don't really feel like reprogramming a lot of stuff or learning an entirely new instrument. So at this point I would probably only consider:

- upgrading Stage 2 to Stage 3 (only if they re-implement the MIDI per part feature).

- upgrading Kronos 2 to mythical Kronos 3 (if it maintained backward compatability with all my sounds.)

and neither of these possibilities has me on the edge of my seat.

#2884609 - 10/12/17 08:20 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: AnotherScott]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

My next purchase will likely be replacing my Nord Electro 5D with a Stage 3-73. In theory, if I added a laptop, I might finally be able to get what I want out of two boards. As it is, sounds aside, with a weighted 88 on bottom, there is no second "organ and synth" board that will give me drawbars and aftertouch,

Kronos 61 is close, no? Not real drawbars so I suppose it depends on how crucial that is.

#2884620 - 10/12/17 09:02 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Sam Mullins]
Bob L Offline

For the pros on the forum, I would imagine that there is more incentive to upgrade and optimize your rig. Since this is a hobby for me, I try to limit my spend, and get the most out of what I have. A year or so ago I bought a Lester K pedal and that brought new life to my 80s era Korg CX3. My Px-5S has so much capability it is crazy. In the context of a quartet, I feel like much of the nuance I might get out of more expensive gear might get lost in the mix, and the APs,EPs, and other sounds of the PX-5S do a great job. I also hate lugging a lot of stuff. My only concern is that if I were at a gig far from home and the PX-5S stopped working, it would be tough to get through the rest of the gig with an old analog clonewheel. So the Roland VR-09 has been on my list of potential purchases as it would give me an automatic contingency plan (for a gig close to home, I could have a family member bring me my old Casio PX3...). Maybe if the band started generating more $$$s, I could justify spending more.

#2884621 - 10/12/17 09:08 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Sam Mullins]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sam Mullins
sounds aside, with a weighted 88 on bottom, there is no second "organ and synth" board that will give me drawbars and aftertouch,

Kronos 61 is close, no? Not real drawbars so I suppose it depends on how crucial that is.

Yeah, Kronos is close. Compromise on the real drawbars, and being just a bit on the heavy side, and having only 61 keys. (On a 2-board rig, I prefer 7x on the non-piano board for splits and LH bass.) Similarly, Kurz has the PC3K/A, but again a bit heavy, especially the 76 (up in VR-760 territory).

BUT... I just discovered that our friend OB Dave makes caps that give these boards "drawbars"!

http://www.oceanbeachdigital.com/store/store.html#sp73

#2884626 - 10/12/17 09:32 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: AnotherScott]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

BUT... I just discovered that our friend OB Dave makes caps that give these boards "drawbars"!

Yeah, I was going to bring that up. I don't have them because I typically use my Stage organ played from the Kronos keyboard and I'm not too active on the drawbars anyway. (I'm in a duo situation and typically playing other parts at the same time as organ).

I have to say that the longer I have the Kronos, the more I appreciate the Swiss-army-knife aspect of it. There simply hasn't been something I need to cover that it has fallen short on.

I had my Stage 2 before I had a Kronos. But frankly if I was starting over with my live setup up, I think I could accomplish everything with the Kronos and whatever DP I liked best (probably CP4). I barely use the Stage synth, and the Kronos organ would be good enough for my purposes.

Edited by Sam Mullins (10/12/17 09:34 AM)

#2884629 - 10/12/17 09:56 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Sam Mullins]
dsetto Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I fine-tuned my understanding of "complacent" before responding.

Zombie MC, this is good. I try to be there now, today, even with my remaining aspirations.

#2884643 - 10/12/17 11:01 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: Sam Mullins]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sam Mullins
I had my Stage 2 before I had a Kronos. But frankly if I was starting over with my live setup up, I think I could accomplish everything with the Kronos and whatever DP I liked best (probably CP4). I barely use the Stage synth, and the Kronos organ would be good enough for my purposes.

Yeah, Kronos organ is fine, esp if you send it out the assignable out into a Vent. Nord used to have more of a "split on the fly" advantage for quickly calling up different sounds on different parts of the keyboard, but the latest Kronos software update added some nice functionality there. Nord still does some stuff more easily (loading custom samples, and all the effects and other manipulations you can do so quickly with the dedicated instantly-available controls), and I still happen to prefer the Nord piano sounds, but... yeah, the Kronos is a killer board, and there's a lot more that it can do that the Nord can't than vice versa. Too bad there's no 73-key SW Kronos that weighs under 30 lbs. If they could make such a thing, I think they'd have no problem selling it at the same premium price as the NS3-73. (Though I'd still hope they could come up with a better way of dealing with loading custom samples!)

#2884644 - 10/12/17 11:07 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: AnotherScott]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I've been on a bit of a tear this year and completely replaced all of my keyboards. Sold a Nord Stage 2 HA-76, Nord Stage Compact Classic and a Nord Electro 5D73.... Bought all new keyboards this year -- Kurzweil Forte 7, Viscount Legend Live and Roland FA-07, and several iPad apps. Everything for me feels like an upgrade and a step forward in the sounds, the user experiences, the vibe, the flexibility.

One thing is for certain, I will probably move on to the next thing somewhere in the future. I'm never done.

#2884647 - 10/12/17 11:29 AM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: AnotherScott]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia

BRILLIANT!

#2884649 - 10/12/17 12:04 PM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: jeffinpghpa]
clawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: jeffinpghpa
I've been on a bit of a tear this year and completely replaced all of my keyboards. Sold a Nord Stage 2 HA-76, Nord Stage Compact Classic and a Nord Electro 5D73.... Bought all new keyboards this year -- Kurzweil Forte 7, Viscount Legend Live and Roland FA-07, and several iPad apps. Everything for me feels like an upgrade and a step forward in the sounds, the user experiences, the vibe, the flexibility.

One thing is for certain, I will probably move on to the next thing somewhere in the future. I'm never done.

I've dropped a few things this year also a bit of a change in direction. Sold my NS2, CP4, RD64, Ventilator.

I have just recently had my Kawai KG2 regulated & voiced, and will keep my Mojo61 for the forseeable future, but my main keyboard focus will be on Vi's. SL88 + accessories ordered, MacbookPro upgraded; it's gonna be a brave new world and I'm excited for the learning curve.

Keeps ya young.

#2884652 - 10/12/17 12:21 PM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: AnotherScott]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

(But will the NS3 be perfect? No... Nord's SW actions are more highly sprung than I'd prefer, and the NS3 has only 5 direct patch select buttons.)

Not much you can do about the action, but have you considered an external patch selector? Do it from your lower board, or run an app on a phone/tablet, or a Genovation (like Wix, we learn!), or a Sipario etc.

Cheers, Mike.

#2884654 - 10/12/17 12:30 PM Re: Are you complacent with your gear? [Re: stoken6]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
I've been with current main boards for several years now (various Nord gen 2 models) and, while occasionally GAS has tempted, I've held off until something *significantly* better comes along.

Other than that DeepMind 12 splurge I did, which was all about having fun. More memory for AP pianos would be nice, but not nice enough. And if I can hold out for a year or so, I'll get twice as much for my money.

For the weekend warrior bar band stuff I do, I usually sound as good or better than most of the other keyboard dudes out there, so why invest? It's not like anyone is going to notice -- in the band, or in the audience. And I only rarely record.

That being said, many of you know I've been on a tear regarding amplification this year with several new purchases.

That too is losing steam, as my stage sound is now almost always amazing and I have an array of flexible tools that cover everything from intimate combos to no-holds-barred loud outdoor festivals.

Complacent? Yup. Now if I could find a way to organize all these darn cables ...

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner