Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2884485 - 10/11/17 02:38 PM Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
thanks, Jon. twothumbs

KC Island
#2884490 - 10/11/17 03:04 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: davedoerfler]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
"lots of cabley things..: grin

I love he's using Yamaha SetList. And the Alesis Io Dock... just like I used to do

#2884493 - 10/11/17 03:21 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: EscapeRocks]
Bill H. Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Columbia River Gorge, US
If (like me) any of you are wondering if this is a recent video, I looked it up on YouTube. It is.

#2884497 - 10/11/17 04:19 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Bill H.]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

actually, Bill, I considered putting that info in my OP. Yes, it was posted just today. thu

#2884540 - 10/11/17 09:24 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: davedoerfler]
zxcvbnm098 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
The pedal setup with the sounds from Live and Let Die are brilliant.....

#2884550 - 10/11/17 09:55 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: zxcvbnm098]
jonregen Offline

Loc: NY, NY
FYI Wix sent this to me this morning.

It's his current rig from the current PM tour!

Best,

Jon Regen
Editor
KEYBOARDMAG.COM

#2884564 - 10/12/17 04:16 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: jonregen]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
that was enjoyable ...

#2884581 - 10/12/17 05:58 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Legatoboy]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Excellent! Thanks for sharing

#2884585 - 10/12/17 06:32 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Al Quinn]
Analogaddict Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I love that his "emergency keyboard" is a Kronos..! laugh

I can see a Studio5 in the rack..! I have one of those- how would You go about editing them nowadays..?

Edited by Analogaddict (10/12/17 06:35 AM)

#2884593 - 10/12/17 07:28 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Analogaddict]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: Analogaddict
I love that his "emergency keyboard" is a Kronos..! laugh

Yes, that was funny !

Originally Posted By: Analogaddict

I can see a Studio5 in the rack..! I have one of those- how would You go about editing them nowadays..?

Well, he´s an old and experienced guy, using old and newer gear in harmony.
Lots of hardware expanders in one of the racks even using mainstage.
I´ve seen those guys using old MIDI interfaces w/ routing options, also using an old computer running old software somewhere hidden in background or on a sliding shelf in a rack.
Apple powerbook G3 wallstreet running MacOS 9.22 maybe.

Anyway ...

Am I right he still uses the old NI B4 and NI drawbar controller for organ ?

A.C.

#2884612 - 10/12/17 08:35 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Al Coda]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Al Coda
Am I right he still uses the old NI B4 and NI drawbar controller for organ ?

Yes he is still using the NI Drawbar controller but GSI VB3 is clearly shown in the video.

#2884634 - 10/12/17 10:06 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: davedoerfler]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: count doerflera

Yes he is still using the NI Drawbar controller but GSI VB3 is clearly shown in the video.

thx, didn´t notice it´s VB3 .. haven´t seen it for a long time.

A.C.

#2884665 - 10/12/17 02:47 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Al Coda]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Great post, a peek into a world I haven't spent too much time on.

Two things stand out.

First, he and I are both acolytes of the no-SPOF (single point of failure) school, but of course he takes it much further than I do. He's got spares for his spares.

Second, it's pretty clear he hasn't had to schlep his own gear in a very long time.

Again, thanks for the share!

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2893704 - 12/02/17 04:42 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Al Coda]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Jon finally got the interview in print. Thanks again, Jon. twothumbs
This should be required reading for everyone on this forum. wink

Wix Wickens - Zen and the Art of Multitasking

BTW, hey Peter, Wix mentions that he does still use NI B4II in addition to GSI VB3. cool

#2893711 - 12/02/17 06:21 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: davedoerfler]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

BTW, hey Peter, Wix mentions that he does still use NI B4II in addition to GSI VB3. cool

I tell ya ...
It was 1986 when I was @Swanyard Studio/London/UK for a visitation.
Bill Wyman was there next room and I listened to (early ?) Nick Kershaw recordings in the other control room.
That was the very 1st time I became aware of a drummer named Simon Phillips,- and "WIX" was the keyboard player ...
The studio is closed now, AFAIK,- but WIX is still alive and active in the pro scene ...
I dunno him personally,- but IMO, he´s one of the most tastefull and most experienced keyboardplayers I know from (pop-) recordings as also from Paul McCartney live gigs I´ve seen (from monitor wing perspective).
In pop-keyboards departement and for his age, he´s some guy anyone has to urgently look at and pay attention for how he´s using keyboard instruments (incl. bass pedals) to a MODERN show.
He HAS the experience !
Even he works for "old" artists as a service provider, one seriously has to recognize him as one of the old cats doing it right and still in a MODERN show.

I loved him w/ Nick Kershaw and I still love him now.
He´s some influence ...
Lots to learn from, ya´ know ...

A.C.

#2893716 - 12/02/17 07:01 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Al Coda]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
One of the best interviews I've ever read, and the video clips were great two.

I'm amazed at the now vintage gear he has in the rack that still performs reliably, even after being dragged all over the planet. The Yamaha and Kurzweil are great picks as controllers. It also says a lot about the Kronos that the one board can get him through a lot if shit hits the fan. And of course the double mac minis are awesome as redundant MainStage rigs.

Oh, and I think he's dead on target that keeping the show live rather than playing to and mixing in ProTools tracks keeps it fresh for them and that thrill of making music in the moment connects them to the audience.

#2893717 - 12/02/17 07:15 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: davedoerfler]
Markay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Jon finally got the interview in print. Thanks again, Jon. twothumbs
This should be required reading for everyone on this forum. wink

Wix Wickens - Zen and the Art of Multitasking

Both hosted on a Muse Receptor. An excellent interview and great to be able hear how someone set up a controller and module rig back in 1989.

My take away was that sound design, and in particular, emulating orchestral heavy songs like those in Sgt Peppers was a time consuming challenge first time round. Once you have got the samples right, recreating these so they sound as good as the originals, particularly orchestral sounds and brass, in current VI's would be equally challenging and time consuming.

#2893753 - 12/03/17 07:39 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: zxcvbnm098]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: zxcvbnm098
The pedal setup with the sounds from Live and Let Die are brilliant.....

The layers of brilliance Sir Paul wrote in that song still amaze me to this day. One of the greatest overdone over-glorious Epic opus rock songs in history. Still. jmo ymmv

#2893768 - 12/03/17 09:42 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: MotiDave]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
WTF? All that for McCartney's songs? Jesus

noblevibes.com

#2893789 - 12/03/17 02:11 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Outkaster]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Great interview! Thanks for sharing.

#2893798 - 12/03/17 03:49 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Al Quinn]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Yes, awesome interview, thanks so much for sharing.

My key takeaways? There's the gig rig. Nothing new gets in there without an Act of Congress. And then there's the studio, where mayhem may freely reign.

Works for me. Especially if your Wix and gigging for Sir Paul.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2893844 - 12/03/17 11:18 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: cphollis]
zxcvbnm098 Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
Jon, that indeed was a fantastic interview. What a treat to read!

#2893882 - 12/04/17 09:14 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Outkaster]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Outkaster

He addresses this a bit...first backups for backups so there are no show pausing failures.

Then this quote of his ".....It’s somebody’s one and only show, so they don’t want to see a Thelonious Monk version of ‘Hey Jude.’ They want to hear it how they recognize it, along with it being live.....”

So he makes sure he has all the gear to make that happen, as well as being prepared when Paul calls one offs.

Edited by EscapeRocks (12/04/17 09:15 AM)

#2893898 - 12/04/17 10:32 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: EscapeRocks]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Reminds me of how David Rosenthal approaches his Billy Joel rig. Lot's of redundancy and fail safe options. Get it the way people want to hear it, but prepare for anything!

#2893903 - 12/04/17 11:05 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: ABECK]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
great interview, thanks for posting

Edited by BluesKeys (12/04/17 11:05 AM)

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2893909 - 12/04/17 11:22 AM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: EscapeRocks]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks

He addresses this a bit...first backups for backups so there are no show pausing failures.

Then this quote of his ".....It’s somebody’s one and only show, so they don’t want to see a Thelonious Monk version of ‘Hey Jude.’ They want to hear it how they recognize it, along with it being live.....”

So he makes sure he has all the gear to make that happen, as well as being prepared when Paul calls one offs.

Yeah I got it. I understand.

noblevibes.com

#2893928 - 12/04/17 01:07 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: Outkaster]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks

Yeah I got it. I understand.

Cool. I actually had the same initial reaction as you when I saw all that gear. sigh....if I had a roadies and a tech..... wink

#2893936 - 12/04/17 01:52 PM Re: Wix Wickens' Touring Rig with Paul McCartney [Re: EscapeRocks]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Weird to me. It makes me wonder how did all those guys do it years ago and even with some problems still put on a great show?

noblevibes.com

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner