Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2884436 - 10/11/17 11:28 AM And the tools don't matter, too.
dsetto Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Last night in rehearsal I played an organ part on a MOX8. Most of the show I'm doing Wurli, Rhodes, or Piano so I'm rehearsing with that board. One song the band wants organ. So, I loaded up an 888, the MW was up inadvertently, so a deeply cheesy vibrato. All effects off; just the board. And then I just imagined it was a B3. I didn't try to play deeply, like a piano. Didn't bother adjusting drawbars that weren't there. Just delved into the music, the energy, and what a B3 can do.

Now, yes, it's not a B3. Nor clonewheel. By miles. And miles. ... But the band thought it was great, and I had fun.

In other words, I'm the first one to worry to get the details close in selecting my tools. But, it seems I don't always have to.

That said, the closest thing I got to experiencing a B3 was what I achieved with an XF7. But, in that pursuit, that study, I learned a lot about a B3 - limited by not playing a real one, nor a clone wheel, for starters. But, in my own pursuit, I learned things. And that learning informed me, allowing me to not care, and rock enough a B3 on a MOX8, for at least one song, for an intimate crowd.

KC Island
#2884440 - 10/11/17 11:43 AM Re: And the tools don't matter, too. [Re: dsetto]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
So you just did this during rehearsal? Or on a gig for one song? Two different types of audience between those scenarios ! I've noticed most of the time average people really either don't care, can't tell, or can't appreciate the VAST difference that we as keyboardists assume they can when hearing a B3 type part being played by a MOX8 as opposed to a good clone (or the real thing)

I've played B3 type organ parts on a Motif ES in the past and the pure organ tones really aren't terrible. For me it was always the leslie simulation, especially the hi rotary speed that completely killed any B3 type groove I wanted to get into...YMMV

#2884446 - 10/11/17 12:23 PM Re: And the tools don't matter, too. [Re: dsetto]
Joe P Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Long Valley, NJ
This might be controversial but...: if you put the Motif in a B3 shell the audience will think it sounds even better. cry smile

#2884449 - 10/11/17 12:29 PM Re: And the tools don't matter, too. [Re: Joe P]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
I'm using MOX8 as my main/ROMpler board (pianos, EPs, clav), and I use a PC3 for my clonewheel stuff. But, on occasion when I find myself only with the MOX8, the organs aren't that bad... they're kind of useable. Yes, the leslie sim is what kills it. I guess you could always run it through a Vent.

For the longest time I was using my Z1 for organ (it has organ modeling, no samples - you can "set" the drawbars by using 5 user programmable knobs below the LCD). Its "Gospel Organ" patch was pretty damn good, and not too bad of a leslie sim... but the overdrive kinda sucked, so I always used it in "clean" mode, and nobody in the band ever complained.

Of course now, with the PC3, it's a whole other world!

Edited by synthizen2 (10/11/17 12:34 PM)

#2884459 - 10/11/17 12:49 PM Re: And the tools don't matter, too. [Re: Joe P]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Originally Posted By: Joe P
This might be controversial but...: if you put the Motif in a B3 shell the audience will think it sounds even better. cry smile

LOL- the keyboard players would be trying to guess what's in the shell. Some might be fooled even, others will call the bluff. Neither matters if the playing and or mix is terrible. But the regular folk in the audience probably wouldn't even be phased by a disguise one way or the other. No controversy here.

Gear hounds that we are aside... great performances and great recordings abound with lesser tools than we have today. We should play more and GAS less. I know it's hard with all these new boards every year. grin

#2884503 - 10/11/17 05:09 PM Re: And the tools don't matter, too. [Re: ElmerJFudd]
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
We should play more and GAS less.

easier said than done, but you are correct. Check out Wix Wickens rig in the thread I posted and you will see he GAS's less. He just upgraded to GSI VB3 from NI B3II, still using the NI Drawbar Unit. wink

#2884552 - 10/12/17 12:00 AM Re: And the tools don't matter, too. [Re: dsetto]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
Originally Posted By: dsetto

In other words, I'm the first one to worry to get the details close in selecting my tools.

In a few words this is the basic reason for the existence of this forum wink

Edited by yannis D (10/12/17 12:01 AM)

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner