Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2884411 - 10/11/17 09:37 AM Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Apologies to Don Preston . . .

I have an old gear case lined with that grey packing foam(?) that used to line the boxes for old MXR pedals . . . yeah, that stuff. As you might expect, the foam is breaking down, so I don't trust it to pack Electronic Gear at this point. I want to clear it out and replace it, because the case is still sturdy, otherwise. Any suggested materials, favorite short-cuts for lining materials? It's a simple rectangle, like a Mixer case, so no fancy cutting required. Thanks in advance . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

GP Island
#2884494 - 10/11/17 03:26 PM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I'm not sure if it's the same "that stuff" that's lined a camera case of mine for the last 20 or more years, but without any problem. I imagine maybe any thick foam you might find at any upolstery shop might do, if they don't wish to sell you any they might tell you where they get it;

Or arts & craft shops might carry something that might suffice. If there's enough of what you have in good enough shape to cut out and take around with you, someone might have some ideas.
Whitefang

#2884594 - 10/12/17 07:32 AM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Whitefang - thanks, man.

I'd like to use something a little different, if I can find it. There's a Crafts place just up the street, I'll look in there.

The rest of the case is solid, might outlive me.

#2884598 - 10/12/17 07:41 AM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
You might try a Home Depot for some foam pipe insulation that you might be able to cut to fit...or a Walmart for a camping cot mattress. cool

#2884601 - 10/12/17 07:50 AM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 Larryz - I'm pretty good with my cutting tools, so I figure whatever I find, I can make it fit. Can't really complain, the case is easily 20 years old, if not more?

#2884637 - 10/12/17 10:29 AM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Ps. I also like those rolls of double sided Velcro tape for holding things in place...strong stuff and will make for an easy swap out 20 years from now LOL! thu

#2884639 - 10/12/17 10:45 AM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Ps. I also like those rolls of double sided Velcro tape for holding things in place...strong stuff and will make for an easy swap out 20 years from now LOL! thu

You must be looking over my shoulder, in which case, have a seat, make yourself at home?

I always have a 15 foot roll of 2-inch Velcro around, for pedals & pedalboards; there's one sitting on a shelf right behind me, even now. The stuff isn't cheap, however, $30+/- for a roll, so I'm looking for something less expensive. Old carpet sample squares might do nicely, cut to size . . . Anyhow, cleaning it out is a good at-home project for a rainy day, so here I am.

#2884650 - 10/12/17 12:07 PM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-Treatments.gc?typeAheadRedirect=true <---check out some sound proofing at your local GC for some foam pieces...the foam edge pieces look cheap and interesting.

they also have foam tack spray-on clue...

Edited by Larryz (10/12/17 12:09 PM)

#2884690 - 10/12/17 06:45 PM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
I always have a 15 foot roll of 2-inch Velcro around, for pedals & pedalboards; there's one sitting on a shelf right behind me, even now. The stuff isn't cheap, however, $30+/- for a roll, so I'm looking for something less expensive. Old carpet sample squares might do nicely, cut to size . . . Anyhow, cleaning it out is a good at-home project for a rainy day, so here I am.

You can get double sided carpet tape, in 2" width. Also 3M spray adhesive is good for attaching foam, though a bit fumey.
I tend to save the good foam included in some gear's original shipping boxes just for the purpose of fixing old cases, or repurposing mic boxes, etc. Stop by sometime & help yourself to my closet of foam.

#2884697 - 10/12/17 07:13 PM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Winston Psmith]
The Zombie MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
If it is a Calzone or Anvil case - or other reputable brand - they can refoam the case. I've had them do this many times.

Not a fun DIY job, that rotted foam sticks to EVERYTHING and no adhesive will work on the new foam until you remove EVERY residue of the old stuff.

#2885295 - 10/16/17 08:48 AM Re: Slightly OT: Vile Foamy . . . case lining turning to mush [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sorry to just be getting back to this. Came home from a big installation a few days back, and I was down for the whole weekend . . .

@Scott- I'd be happy to come by and visit, anytime, brother. You've also reminded me: Like you, I tend to keep the original packing materials from my gear, in case I ever need to ship something off for repairs. I probably have something back in the attic that would do.

@The ZombieMC - It's a Unitec case. Have to wonder if shipping wouldn't cost more than any material I might use myself?

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose