Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2884314 - 10/10/17 04:47 PM Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
anyone else check these guys out? Incredible band, expensive tickets.
They were in DC this past weekend, 8 shows, only one did not sell out was late Thursday.

no recording at all allowed in Blue's Alley (I nearly got tossed earlier this year for taking a photo of Eliane Elias) but here is a recent video. Chick is playing his Mark V samples from a Yamaha Montage.

KC Island
#2884316 - 10/10/17 05:12 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: count doerflera]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
I saw them in Fairfield CT. Luckily I got comped, the tix were close to $100. Still, a sold-out house and standing Os after a lot of the songs. They played two fairly short sets.

Chick was playing a Montage & Voyager. There was a Mac laptop with what looked like Mainstage running. The piano was a Yamaha with midi that was a local rental (are those all Disklaviers, or something else? I don't know) Ė it didn't have the creamy expensive sound of a high end Yam or Steinway but it was Chick playing so who cares? Bernie Kirsch was mixing FOH and the sound was great Ė I don't think the subs were being used, thank god! I hate it when subs are pumping on this kind of music, or any kind of older style of music for that matter.

The band was really good and Gadd especially was on fire. A great show Ė Chick & Steve are in their early & mid-70s and playing their asses off! Go see them if you can, if you can afford it!

(PS - Count, ELIANE hates when people refer to her as ELAINE! smile

#2884322 - 10/10/17 06:17 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: Reezekeys]
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
(PS - Count, ELIANE hates when people refer to her as ELAINE! smile

Fixed. Rushed the post as I got busy at work all of the sudden.
Tix in DC were way more expensive that that, Rob, plus there is a minimum table/bar charge, and each show was a 60 minute set. That was it. $100 for 2 sets is a bargain.

#2884323 - 10/10/17 06:41 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: count doerflera]
GRollins Offline

There was this knockout gorgeous girl I was dying to ask out. I asked a buddy if there was anything going on that would serve for a date. He said that there was this keyboard guy named Chick something-or-other, supposed to be pretty good, going to play in town. Neither of us had ever heard of him, but agreed that it was worth a shot. I asked the girl if she'd like to go and was gobsmacked when she said yes (I'd figured she was out of my league, but hey...). I bought tickets. We went.

Out comes this nerdy looking white guy with glasses holding a guitar, a skinny black guy about ten feet tall holding a bass, a kinda average looking black guy who takes up station behind the drum kit, and a curly haired dude who slides in behind the keys. Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, and Chick. It was Return To Forever on their Romantic Warrior tour.

Oh, my, friggin' gawd...

They started playing and I absolutely forgot about the girl. She ceased to exist for me. My jaw was on the floor the whole night and I scarcely acknowledged her existence. The gig ended and I started raving about the band instead of whispering sweet nothings in her ear.

I never saw her again.

But the band is still with me, all these years later.

Chick's a helluva player. Love him. Love the other guys. Wish they'd get back together and do some new material, but Al seems to want to walk a different path.

Rats.

Grey

PS: To the girl, wherever she may be...I'm sorry, honey. My fault. I take the blame for being a lousy date. Call me sometime?

Edited by GRollins (10/10/17 06:43 PM)

#2884325 - 10/10/17 06:50 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: count doerflera]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Wow, more than $100 plus a minimum? And still mostly sold out, that's impressive. As a semi-employed full-time musician I'll just say I probably couldn't hang. I'll guess the $78 + service charge price where I saw him was due to the fact that the Fairfield CT venue is more a rock club than a jazz club. It has a large open area in front of the stage that they filled with folding chairs. Capacity is 640. They serve no food but have a full bar which was doing good business in the break between sets. You can do the math. The sound system at Fairfield was also rock club caliber but of fairly recent vintage so it was in good shape. Here's a short snippet where you can hear Bernie's work. Even with the crappy microphone on the phone, you can hear everything very well:

[edit Ė Ha! Dave, I just realized the video you linked to in your first post is from the show I saw! The guy who shot it is a friend. The mic on this guy's phone is a little better:]

Edited by Reezekeys (10/10/17 06:56 PM)

#2884326 - 10/10/17 06:56 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: GRollins]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Great repertoire to choose from. I need to find the time and money.

I had tickets for RTF around 1981 or so. It was a Sunday night and band I was with would play six nights a week Mon-Sat. Long story short we lost a gig and band leader found gig but it started on a Sunday cause there was a Monday holiday. I ended up giving tickets away and heard back it was an incredible night. taz

#2884332 - 10/10/17 07:46 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: 16251]
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
They play the Eastman Theatre here on Friday. Itís the kickoff for my alma mater homecoming weekend. My office is next door so itís not like itís inconvenient. Itís not sold out.

I guess I should go.

#2884333 - 10/10/17 08:23 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: Mark Zeger]
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

if you can afford it you should go. Then you won't wish you had gone the next day. wink

#2884368 - 10/11/17 05:40 AM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: count doerflera]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Mark my girl works at Eastman part time and told me about. Steve is from here.

noblevibes.com

#2884369 - 10/11/17 05:47 AM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: Outkaster]
Studiotan Offline

Loc: Boston USA
I saw the show in Boston on Oct 1. Tickets were only $60.

Wonderful show...Gadd just blew me away.

#2884372 - 10/11/17 06:01 AM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: Studiotan]
GRollins Offline

There don't appear to be any shows within striking distance of me...unless he's already played the southeast and I missed it. Bummer.

Grey

#2884379 - 10/11/17 07:04 AM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: GRollins]
Raymb1 Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRdhYrC57eQ Some nice videos of the band here.

#2884465 - 10/11/17 01:07 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: count doerflera]
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: count doerflera
if you can afford it you should go.

Just announced $10 balcony seats with student ID, which I have from a current Eastman adult ed, small group workshop.

So, Iím going. like

#2884466 - 10/11/17 01:10 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: Mark Zeger]
count doerflera Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

man, we got hosed on tic prices in DC mad
and they still sold out 7 of 8 shows. idk

#2884476 - 10/11/17 01:28 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: count doerflera]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think when I saw Chick Corea live at NSJ it was also relatively expensive, maybe that's the way he can work to get a good deal about the type of audience or so.

T

#2884704 - 10/12/17 07:29 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: Theo Verelst]
waygetter Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA
Steve Gadd's riffs at the end of Aja are everlasting gold! I'm sure this must be an awesome show.

#2884753 - 10/13/17 05:40 AM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: Mark Zeger]
tucktronix Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Zeger
Originally Posted By: count doerflera
if you can afford it you should go.

Just announced $10 balcony seats with student ID, which I have from a current Eastman adult ed, small group workshop.

So, Iím going. like

Wish I could go.. got a frikkin gig tonight frown

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band

#2884907 - 10/13/17 05:13 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: tucktronix]
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Corea & Gadd awarded honorary doctorates from Eastman on stage before the concert.

#2884925 - 10/13/17 07:55 PM Re: Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Tour [Re: Mark Zeger]
mountainjammer Offline

Loc: CT
Ok, ever bought tickets to a show and f'd the dates? Didn't realize I had until I read a CT brother seeing this show in Fairfield. Easy way to spiral: too many shows lined up for the fall? Organiztion in need of help? My gawd, first time to finally see Chick? Oh phooey. Might as well admit here cause nobody knows me and cause wifey certainly not be sympathetic. Confessional booth is now open.

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner