Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2884150 - 10/09/17 06:42 PM Carvin Audio Folding
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Official announcement:
https://www.facebook.com/carvinaudio/

They're having a big 25% off liquidation sale, but almost everything I'd want is already out of stock. frown

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/09/17 08:09 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2884152 - 10/09/17 07:10 PM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
A great company. I have a Carvin PA and I hate to see them go... cry

#2884173 - 10/10/17 04:25 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I don't deal with any of the kind of products Carvin deals with but over the years here in this forum I've read plenty of posts concerning them. And mostly PRAISE for their stuff. Surprising they're going under, based on that.
Whitefang

#2884185 - 10/10/17 06:36 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: whitefang]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Bummer! I still have a Redline 1000 bass amp & 1-15"cab, and a DC 127 guitar. I got one of there 16 channel mixers for my church and loved it; wish I had been able to get it before they renovated and it somehow disappeared.

#2884197 - 10/10/17 07:11 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Danzilla]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wow... hard to believe... will the Kiesel line still go on?

#2884198 - 10/10/17 07:12 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Danzilla]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

I was just looking at their website last week, thinking that it looks like they're going out of business pretty soon. What a shame. I wonder if anyone is going to acquire the rights to keep making some of their amps, like the Steve Vai series, or the highly acclaimed V3M?

#2884207 - 10/10/17 07:53 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Sharkman]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Sorry to hear. I used to receive their catalogs on a regular basis. I never purchased from them, but have heard nothing but good things. I really liked the looks of some of their guitars.

#2884216 - 10/10/17 08:37 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: p90jr]
MP Hall of Fame Member

AFAIK, Kiesel and Carvin became fully independent of each other when they split.

Given the number of threads I've seen in the past 18+ months about how badly Keisel's been screwing up orders AND refusing to do any meaningful customer support when they do, I'm surprised it's Carvin going under. Before the split, their guitars were a no-brainer recommendation for me. Now I've stopped.

#2884218 - 10/10/17 08:41 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Sharkman]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sharkman
I wonder if anyone is going to acquire the rights to keep making some of their amps, like the Steve Vai series, or the highly acclaimed V3M?

Those and the original V3 were the ones I was most interested in. Now, unless and until a quality builder does scoop up those rights, I'm going to have to get one from Reverb or eBay.

Hmmm...who would want them? Who could do them justice?

My first thoughts would be Mesa or possibly David Koltai (Supro, Pigtronix). Or maybe a dark horse like Reverend would go for this as a way to get back into the amp market.

Hell...maybe Vai would grab it up...or convince Ibanez to do so.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/10/17 08:46 AM)

#2884219 - 10/10/17 08:49 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
That's a pity. I didn't know there was a split. I thought it was a rebranding of the guitar line. As a family-owned business perhaps the heirs didn't see eye to eye after the founder passed away, which I guess was just a few years ago. Anyway, sorry to hear this. I've had various Carvin amps, PA gear & a guitar, over the years & always liked them. Sorry to see a small family business go under in an increasingly corporate industry.

#2884259 - 10/10/17 11:32 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Well, I haven't actually read the OP link yet but there's often a situation (as some have hinted at here) where a company may be revamped or whatever as part of a sale, acquisition, merger, etc....
One thing we must remember: the nature of life is always eventual change.

As directly as this may affect many (I never have bought an instrument w/out checking it my hands) watch out for this---another family-owned business, that's been the mainstay of popular culture, especially music, for the last 50 yrs is being sold & may even stop publishing.
Who ?
Rolling Stone mag

#2884311 - 10/10/17 04:06 PM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: d]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Someone on facebook said that the "guitar line will continue, but the rest of it is gone." I don't know if they meant Kiesel or Carvin guitars...

#2884312 - 10/10/17 04:30 PM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: p90jr]
JohnH Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr
Someone on facebook said that the "guitar line will continue, but the rest of it is gone." I don't know if they meant Kiesel or Carvin guitars...

There is no such thing as Carvin Guitars anymore- they are now Kiesel Guitars which will continue.

Edited by JohnH (10/10/17 04:31 PM)

#2884315 - 10/10/17 04:58 PM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Originally Posted By: Sharkman
I wonder if anyone is going to acquire the rights to keep making some of their amps, like the Steve Vai series, or the highly acclaimed V3M?

Those and the original V3 were the ones I was most interested in. Now, unless and until a quality builder does scoop up those rights, I'm going to have to get one from Reverb or eBay.

Hmmm...who would want them? Who could do them justice?

My first thoughts would be Mesa or possibly David Koltai (Supro, Pigtronix). Or maybe a dark horse like Reverend would go for this as a way to get back into the amp market.

Hell...maybe Vai would grab it up...or convince Ibanez to do so.

I think a good candidate for their PA stuff would be Berhringer. They make cheap stuff but it works great until it breaks down. Then it's so cheap you can just buy it new again to replace it after 3 years of use. Carvin always stood behind their stuff and you could send it in for repair or replacement. Berhringer could learn a thing or two and really upgrade their product lines with a little quality. I'm sure their factories are already set up for it...just a wild ass guess on my part but it would be interesting to see if it ever comes up? cool

#2884373 - 10/11/17 06:32 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Larryz]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Why would Behringer both acquiring the rights to Carvin's gear? They could just reverse engineer (or outright steal) and put it out with their own brand and a similar enough name, like they've done with just about everything else they put out.

#2884382 - 10/11/17 07:19 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Danzilla]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Danzilla
Why would Behringer both acquiring the rights to Carvin's gear? They could just reverse engineer (or outright steal) and put it out with their own brand and a similar enough name, like they've done with just about everything else they put out.

Sorry to say, but brother Danzilla has it right; Behringer isn't known for innovation, shall we say? Also, their QC is sketchy, at best. It's not likely you'd get Carvin quality on a Behringer clone of a Carvin product.

I'd always been impressed with the Carvin catalogs, and curious about their Guitars, but like "d", I've never bought a Guitar I haven't held in my hands first, which kept Carvin off my list. Sorry to see them go, they seemed to be a first-class operation, in their time.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2884389 - 10/11/17 07:56 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

The reason(s) I thought of Behringer as opposed to any other manufacturer picking up Carvin (and I'm not saying they actually would) is because they make the same product lines with very similar cabinets. Just change the Carvin stock to Behringer on the name plates. Also, Behringer's QC being sketchy was already in my comments. Behringer could learn a thing or two from Carvin's quality and their standing behind their products. Also, like I said, Behringer uses cheap parts that fail frequently. They would be able to build the same products they do now, but with Carvin's quality parts suppliers and upgrade their whole product line. Carvin has some very nice speakers too. I was mostly thinking PA's but there is no reason Behringer could not add guitar amps as well.

Yes, they could just steal and reverse engineer as they always do, but I'm thinking a major upgrade in quality at a very low price would do the company some good. But, those are just my thoughts on who might be out there that could use some churching up that Danny and Sharkman asked for comments on. I couldn't think of anyone else. I would think that Carvin would have tried to sell the business to a private party before calling it quits...

Edited by Larryz (10/11/17 09:17 AM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2884414 - 10/11/17 09:44 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Behringer already owns Midas, among the highest echelon of PA mixer makers. And they have been putting the Midas name on Behringer designed products, like the X32 digital mixer (rebranded as the pricier Midas M32). So I don't see that they would benefit from bringing in the Carvin brand, which though solid, was never a technology innovator in the PA market.

#2884415 - 10/11/17 09:51 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Larryz - My experience with Behringer gear has been either it works as it should, and keeps on working, or it dies a quick and ugly death; kind of like EHX gear, honestly. I'd have to look to see how long I've had my Behringer mixer, but it's served me well for more than a few years. OTOH, several friends quickly converted to Mackie after their Behringers broke down. Luck of the draw, I guess?

I'm not sure where Carvin's Audio gear was being made recently, but I expect some leftover parts, or even products, will be folded into another product line, maybe with slight cosmetic changes. They used to have a couple of brick-&-mortar stores in California, but those may have closed when the Guitar line split off. Not sure I'd want to buy a blow-out product where I knew there'd be no company left behind for parts or customer support, after the fact.

#2884416 - 10/11/17 09:58 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Scott, I don't think anyone is going to keep the Carvin brand alive, as that would already be part of the story. I wish someone would have taken it on as Carvin put out good products for the price. I didn't know Behringer had access to such quality parts and owned Midas, as B makes a lot of cheap stuff with their name on it. It costs more to repair B's products when they break down than it does to replace it. B products do sound good when they are working and you can't beat the prices. So, I'm guessing they just want to reach the low end of the market by offering the cheaper products...

Edited by Larryz (10/11/17 10:16 AM)

#2884421 - 10/11/17 10:08 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Winston, Carvin had a brick and mortar store up here in northern Cal where I bought my PA equipment. I really loved having one close by where I could try out their stuff before buying it and having it shipped from San Diego. They made some beautiful guitars. I was very sad when they quit making their acoustics which were great deals (Made in Korea IIRC). I was also very sad when they closed the local shop up hear in the Sacramento area...

I got real lucky on an old PA made by Traynor up in Canada. That PA outlasted anything I ever owned and I sold it like 20 years later for what I paid for it LOL! I remember Pink Jimi Photon being into Behringer as well. Their stuff can last a long time or it can take a dive at any time. Glad yours held up over the years...

ps. I bought a small PA head that would run my bigger and smaller speakers and equipment which saved hauling a lot of weight around just for small jams and practices. My buddy liked mine so well that he bought one. His broke down about a week after he bought it LOL! Carvin had him send it back to San Diego, fixed it and paid shipping both ways. It's been working fine ever since...but +1 those days are now gone, so I hope my stuff hangs in there!

Edited by Larryz (10/11/17 10:15 AM)

#2884600 - 10/12/17 07:46 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Larryz - Traynor made good, under-appreciated gear, real workhorse equipment.

One of the reasons I bought Behringer - other than the low price - was that Mackie had just shut down their U.S. plant, and moved everything overseas, without dropping prices. This happened while I was working in Music Retail, and could buy my gear at a substantial discount. Even with that, I couldn't see paying Mackie money for a nameplate, essentially.

The comparison with EHX is based on long, personal experience; I bought my first piece of EHX gear back in '73, when I was still living in NYC, a little LPB-1, the one that plugged right into your Amp. Worked great, then I bought my first Big Muff, and had to return it right away. I'd say, over the years, about one out of every five or six EHX boxes has failed me. When EHX gear works, it's great, when it fails, it fails utterly. Behringer seems to follow that same pattern, maybe with a slightly higher fail rate than EHX.

#2884617 - 10/12/17 08:56 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Winston Psmith]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Oh MAN-well to the extent that it affects the guitars it`s a real torpedo. My brother Mr. guitar snob has a nice tobacco sunburst twin cutaway.
My WTF reaction, is the only reason I`ll bore anyone with what I DON`T know-no experience with the amps, but never heard an unkind word-in contrast to Behringer. I HOPE they were cheap. EXH always came off like middle of the pack, and mostly for metalheads. No experience there either.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2884638 - 10/12/17 10:41 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I used to have an Electro Harmonix Clean Boost pedal that really did a fine job for me in my country rock back. Sometimes it would come in a little too loud for what I wanted so I switched to an MXR compressor for clean boost and it really did the job. It worked very well in front of an OD or Dist pedal too with endless sustain so I sold the EXH... cool

Edited by Larryz (10/12/17 10:42 AM)

#2885924 - 10/19/17 10:27 AM Re: Carvin Audio Folding [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I was sorry to see that news, as well.

These days there seems to be too much closing and ending of so much that once felt permanent in our guitar and music world...

One of the best amps that I've found for the 'play the amp' approach, is my Carvin Vintage 33- which, in my opinion, is the very best model that Carvin ever produced. Using my guitar's volume-knobs and my "touch", its "Soak" (lead/overdive/distortion) Channel can be like a multiplicity of continuously-variable channels to switch between, without channel-switching.

Myles Rose hand-picked some rrreally nice tubes for this amp for me years ago... cool

Mine is a seemingly rare version that also included all of the features of the higher-powered Nomad and Bel Air models- an "Acoustic Presence" control, an effects-loop, a Cabinet Voiced line-out, and a three-way impedance-selector for the speaker output. I feel that this nominally rated 33 watt model feels and sounds sweeter and warmer than the 50 watt Nomad and Bel Air. All three amps share the same tube types and general topology.

Its rather blackface-Fender voiced "Rhythm"/clean Channel is like a nice added bonus for different sounds, though really unnecessary as I can get all the clean-tone I want by simply rolling-back my guitar's volume-knobs and varying my "touch" to produce warm, thick, full, throaty clean-tones that sound like 'me', and differ from the typical mid-cut Fender style clean-sound.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose