Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK...Happy Birthday to...

There, SEE? Goes back to that old saying.....

"You can please SOME of the people ALL of the time; And please ALL of the people SOME of the time; But you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time!" :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

:o

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

The "Killer" is 82 today!

Some probably are starting with jokes about that "whole Lotta Shakin' goin' On" being a palsy shake. But God bless 'im he made it this far when too many others much younger have sadly gone.

Whitefang

I never knew his b'day was the 29th. And so is my brother's. He'd have probably got a kick out of it as he WAS a fan of Jerry Lee's music. ;)

And in a big switch of musical gears, TODAY Johnny Mathis is 82!

Always did kind of like a lot of his tunes as well. So, I guess I'll go the corny route and say...

Have a wonderful, wonderful birthday, Johnny! :crazy:

Whitefang

And today is singer/songwriter(and guitar player...happy?) DON McLEAN'S 72nd birthday.

Wowed us with '71's "mini-history" of rock'n'roll "American Pie".

Remember debating the song's referrences and meaning with everyone? ;)

Did a lot of very good songs, but still my personal favorite of mine is his '72 release, "Dreidel". Love the vibe and particularily it's lyrics:

https://youtu.be/C63ri53rv2k

Whitefang

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DON McCLEAN! The song I most admire by him is Vincent (better known as Starry Starry Night). His writing reminded me so much of Donovan's, that I thought Donovan wrote it for him LOL! A great historical account inspired by Vincent Van Gogh's painting... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

A lot of her stuff has that vibe. ;)

And with that, I'll mention today, as we mourn Tom Petty, it's the 76th birthday of Chubby Checker( real name Ernest Evans) who it seems, got his stage name from Dick Clark's wife. Reported she asked his name, and he told her "Folks call me "Chubby". And as he reportedly just finished doing a Fats Domino imersonation, she picked up the "game" theme and asked, "Like in checkers?" And so was born the stage name "Chubby Checker".

Surprising to find out his big hit "The Twist" was recorded when he was just 19 and was still that age when it hit #1. And that he was a schoolmate of singer Fabian Forte, known mostly as "pop" idol FABIAN. Checker's stock in trade at the time was his ability to imitate popular singers of the day and made a living at it until covering Hank Ballard's "The Twist".

I kinda thought he was older and was surprised to learn he was "only" 76. So was my wife, to learn SHE is actually about a week older than him! :o

Whitefang

Is there like a moratorium on gtr players here ?

This cat not only plays this way

[video:youtube]

He plays this way

He explains it this way

& he does much of it on a gtr he helped design

But back to twisting (in the wind) w/Chumpy Checker....

d=halfnote

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM! You are one great guitar player, singer, performer, etc.! Truly enjoyed seeing you and the Fleet last year! :thu:

Glad you let use know about his birthday D! You should feel free to bring up guitar players at anytime...

Take care, Larryz

OK now.

So we have JOHN MELLENCAMP turning 66 today. Awwww.....

I still remember when he was JOHNNY COUGAR and my kid sister was so sweet on him! :D

He did OK though. Still had one of the lines I like in a song...."Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone."

Whitefang

How about that JACKSON BROWNE?

69 today and probably still looks in his 40's.

Been liking his stuff since "Doctor My Eyes". Anybody the Eagles once claimed to be "An old drinkin' buddy" is OK by me. ;)

Whitefang

DARYL HALL today turns 71. The more vocal half of Hall&Oates, he, and them both, were laden with that dumb "Blue eyed soul" label.

Never a big fan myself, I only heard them do "Soul" . ;)

And although I claim not being a "big" fan, I'll always love:

Whitefang

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARYL HALL! My Wife and I Saw Hall and Oates live in San Francisco a few decades ago. What a great show that will stay in my memory forever! They did so many hits, we had forgot how many they had recorded as they played them again for us! Super cool! :cool::cool:
Take care, Larryz

Man, I messed up and forgot to get here and wish PAUL SIMON a happy yesterday! :blush:

76 and sounding like he's still got a lot to say. Him and Art and him alone gave my ears a lot of pleasure over the years. ;)

Whitefang