Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2883996 - 10/09/17 04:12 AM Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO--
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
While surfing around on the section of channels on my cable TV's "Music Choice" I stopped to listen to the "Solid Gold" channel and after the end of a song I came in at the end of, they started playing one by The Righteous Brothers. When you have any of these channels on, there's a graphic at the bottom of the screen that lets you know the song, artist and year the song was released. To the left(in some cases) is a box called "Did You Know?" where they post bits of trivia stuff of interest, or maybe no interest....anyway....

For one bit of time, this box mentioned that the Righteous Brothers music was known as "Blue Eyed Soul" rolleyes

I always hated that "label". "Blue Eyed Soul". What's THAT supposed to mean? I take it they mean "Soul" music done by white guys. Which in many cases sounds no different than "Soul" music. Stinks of racism to me. I mean, they don't call it "Blue Eyed Jazz", do they? Or "Blue Eyed Blues"? So, if "Soul" is a specific genre, why not just refer to it as THAT? Why differentiate between who does it? After all, Jimi Hendrix wasn't playing "Brown Eyed Rock", was he? Or maybe "Urban" or "Uptown Rock"? wink

I know I'm starting this thread on only that shoestring, but there might be other such "labels" out there that some of you might also think are silly, or just dumb. I'd be interested.
Whitefang

GP Island
#2884318 - 10/10/17 05:58 PM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Man, why is everybody so obsessed with race these days?

#2884356 - 10/11/17 04:21 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: picker]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Partially, it's the political climate these days, I think.
But I'm perfectly willing to give it a rest for a while.......
Let's talk about science fiction instead. What race of aliens do you like best, Mike? LOL

#2884357 - 10/11/17 04:36 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: picker]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Race "these days"? Yeah, getting to be a drag. But the term "Blue Eyed Soul" has been used for decades. Possibly, but I can't be sure, not meant to be derogatory, but certainly to point out the difference between the black and white performers. Almost like saying, "There's a BIG difference between how WE do it, and how THEY sound, and you all better make a CHOICE!" It harkens back to the days when Elvis was rejected by some listeners and producers/promoters alike because they either thought he "sounded colored" or was doing music they stupidly associated with black people only. And as was pointed out in another thread, Jimi Hendrix was rejected by many African-Americans because they saw him as doing "Honky" music. But wiser heads only heard him doing "Rock" music and freely enjoyed how good it was.

"Bubblegum" is another of those stupid labels, as if it's advisable that ANYONE over a certain age SHOULDN'T bother with listening or liking a particular sound of music.
Whitefang

#2886402 - 10/21/17 07:33 PM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There's "Northern Soul," too. Big Northern Soul/Motown convention happening here in Detroit right now, as a matter of fact.

#2886424 - 10/22/17 04:16 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Anything with `core` as a suffix. Grindcore, Emocore, for that matter hardcore-that may have been what started it. WT physical F is the `core` supposed to mean? Drop it, then step on it.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2886428 - 10/22/17 04:52 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well Skip, "hardcore" can have different meanings.....

1. Intensely loyal; die hard.
2. Stubbornly resistant to change. Or...
3. Extremely graphic or explicit.

So "Grindcore" just seems like someone tried to be clever with language. But of course, "trying" doesn't always mean succeeding. wink

While I'm at it I'll add "Smooth Jazz", which sounds a lot like just jazz to me. Imagine these kind of tags slapped on other genres....

Like, "Smooth folk", or, "Baroquecore". So, let's all get together and listen to some "Southeastern Blues". wink
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (10/22/17 05:04 AM)

#2886468 - 10/22/17 11:16 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: whitefang
While I'm at it I'll add "Smooth Jazz", which sounds a lot like just jazz to me.
Whitefang

Smooth Jazz actually fairly accurately refers to a pretty specific genre of music, which I would describe as mostly instrumental pop with just a smidgeon of jazz harmony & melodicism, but absolutely none of jazz's characteristic & genre defining triplet based rhythmic propulsion. Among real jazz players 'smooth jazz' is not considered to be a subcategory of jazz.

#2886500 - 10/22/17 02:43 PM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"What is jazz" has been debated amongst jazzmen for decades without any group or gathering arriving at any concensus. At different times in it's history, "Bebop", "Cool" and other forms of jazz have been rejected as "real" jazz by top "jazzmen" of the times. I'm not offering any defense of anyone's particular brand of jazz here. Just forwarding an observation.
Whitefang

#2886528 - 10/22/17 05:19 PM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"What is jazz" has been debated amongst jazzmen for decades without any group or gathering arriving at any concensus. At different times in it's history, "Bebop", "Cool" and other forms of jazz have been rejected as "real" jazz by top "jazzmen" of the times. I'm not offering any defense of anyone's particular brand of jazz here. Just forwarding an observation.
Whitefang

Sure, we're not here to debate "what is jazz?" But I just wanted to point out that 'smooth jazz' is not an ill-defined maybe-category. It really is a category. It's just that what defines it largely is outside the definition of the bigger category called "Jazz".

#2886579 - Yesterday at 04:45 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Almost sounds like you're OK with terms like "Blue Eyed Soul", "Bubble Gum" "Grindcore" and crap like that.
Whitefang

#2886589 - Yesterday at 06:04 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
My personal favorite is "Psycho-billy", a sub-genre of "Rock-A-billy." If you don't know what it is, you really should find out . . .

Edited by Winston Psmith (Yesterday at 06:06 AM)

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2886626 - Yesterday at 09:28 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Almost sounds like you're OK with terms like "Blue Eyed Soul", "Bubble Gum" "Grindcore" and crap like that.
Whitefang

I don't know why it would sound like that. Pointing out that 'Smooth Jazz' is in fact an identifiable genre with readily definable characteristics doesn't really have any bearing on anything else I'm "OK with". But I'm pretty sure I could I could identify with 100% accuracy whether a given tune is bubble gum or not. What is truly & fully silly, though, is the attempt to distinguish various flavors of techno into actually definable subgenres.

#2886642 - Yesterday at 11:00 AM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

All of it; "Folk rock"; "Hard rock";, "Soft rock"; "Bubble gum"; is, as Billy Joel said, "Still rock'n'roll to me." wink

And all these silly labels( "Smooth jazz" included) only attempt to separate differing approaches to presentation of particular songs within the genres rather than a specific genre altogether.

Like Winston's entry up there. I remember those guys. Just another rock'n'roll band with a quirky approach and song subject matter. I remember a CREEM magazine writer, being facetious, referred to the highly sexual content in Tim Buckley's songs in "Greetings From L.A." as being(pardon French please) "f***-Rock". wink
Whitefang (Man, I HATE Otto censor)

Edited by whitefang (Yesterday at 11:02 AM)

#2886676 - Yesterday at 01:55 PM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

All of it; "Folk rock"; "Hard rock";, "Soft rock"; "Bubble gum"; is, as Billy Joel said, "Still rock'n'roll to me." wink

All dogs, Chihuahuas, Dachshunds, Great Danes are basically the same thing thing, right? No real difference?

Quote:
And all these silly labels( "Smooth jazz" included) only attempt to separate differing approaches to presentation of particular songs within the genres rather than a specific genre altogether.

I think there are some very specific genre distinctions, not silly, but real. There are also some attempts at distinction which don't rise to the standard of genre definition.

#2886689 - Yesterday at 02:53 PM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Still, it seems like making distinctions between some Americans from others because some might have Italian or German ancestry, but essentially they're ALL Americans.
Whitefang

#2886702 - Yesterday at 07:14 PM Re: Semi OT: Silly(or just dumb) music "labels" IYO-- [Re: whitefang]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

How about my least favorite label, acid rock? I've heard people call Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and AC/DC "acid rock". I thought to myself "Are you on acid?" How do you define acid rock? Does it even deserve a definition?

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose