Someone finally found some specs for the new Yamaha BB-Bass series:

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musica...ml#product-tabs

Prices are lower than before, and the mid-range model is now active, so the high-end model in some senses represents a 50% price increase on the old mid-range model, with significant improvements.

The BBP35 is the one I'd aim for, at $1600 vs. the $1100 paid for my BB-1025x (including a separately purchased hardshell case; the BBP35 comes with its own case). It's too bad it doesn't come in maple like the lower-end model. First time since the 80's that Yamaha has offered a maple fingerboard on a bass?

I never liked the ceramic "J" bridge pickup on mine and never solo that pickup. The new series uses standard pickups shapes and materials, so both are now Alnico V and can be swapped for other brands without much trouble. Some say the new "J" pickup is "too quiet", but as there are now separate volume knobs per pickup, I can't see that as being an issue. I never used the toggle anyway as I disliked the "J" soloed.

The body is now alder/maple/alder instead of all-alder, and the neck now blends the maple with mahogany instead of with nato. There are now six bolts, with the lowest two being beveled for a tight connection of the end of the neck with the body. Supposedly this gives more sustain.

Someone complained that the lighter tuning pegs can be individually tightened with an allen wrench anymore. I'm not sure I ever even took advantage of that on mine.

Not sure I'll go for this, but as the neck profile is said to be way more comfortable and as the lack of comfort on mine is a big reason why I only use it in the studio, I'm inclined to order the burst model (the "midnight blue" looks all-the-way black to me), and see if I even end up starting to use this bass at gigs and rehearsals.

I should point out that the music I do in the studio rarely overlaps with what I do live, and tends to cover an even broader range of styles. In the studio, the BB-Bass is my main bass, and I use the J-Bass models a lot too. Not sure why the P-Bass doesn't cut it as much for me in the studio as I consider it by far the most versatile live bass since it's good at everything and thus rarely seems like a compromise.