Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai CA98, CA78 and CA48

http://www.kawai-global.com/news/kawai-announces-ca98-ca78-digital-pianos/

• New: SK-EX Rendering piano sound engine (88-key multi-channel sampling + 88-key resonance modelling)
  • New: Premium Onkyo audio and amp technologies (1-bit DSD processing, dual DACs, DIDRC, premium amps, Discrete SpectraModule)
  • New: Premium 6-speaker configuration featuring Onkyo speaker drivers (CA98 only)
  • New: 3rd generation TwinDrive Soundboard Speaker system featuring Onkyo transducers (CA98 only)
  • New: Integrated Bluetooth® MIDI and Audio for wireless communication with smart devices
  • New: Modern 5" LCD touchscreen display with intuitive swipe operation
  • Improved: Chopin 'Etudes: Opus 10' lesson book added
  • Improved: Full General MIDI sound bank for improved SMF playback
  • Improved: 6-position adjustable music rest (previously 3-position) with 'composer's desk' angle
  • Improved: Modernised cabinet design (thinner toeblock, repositioned KAWAI badge, cover-less front speaker openings)

http://www.kawai-global.com/product/ca98/

http://www.kawai-global.com/product/ca78/

http://www.kawai-global.com/product/ca48/

Looks like the Onkyo connection might be bumping up quality of monitoring Kawai DPs in the room with their internal amp and speakers. And the CA-48 which is replacing the CA-17 has a variant on the GF they are calling GF Compact, which appears to have an extended pivot point in comparison to the RM3 II.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 3 months later...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any forum members seen or auditioned these new pianos since EJF posted about them? The CA98 looks very interesting. Oddly enough when comparing youtube videos from Bonners Music Centres of the Kawai CS11 (CS8 vs CS11) and the CA98 I preferred the sound of the CS11. However considering these were probably made on different days, possibly using different recording devices and all the other variables that could factor in I don't put too much credence in this particular comparison. As they say in scientific circles, more research is needed.

I played the CA98 for about 30 minutes last week with high hopes. I was disappointed with a boxy sound and spongy bottoming of the keys. I much preferred the Yamaha 675 sitting next to it. I'm waiting on the Novus NV10 with even higher expectations. Up until now I've always used a stage piano (MP8) with near field monitors, but need something more acoustic-like for a teaching studio.

The "hidden" piano store about a mile from where I work, "DC Pianos", which I didn't know about until over a decade of working at that office, and chanced upon when looking on-line for local Kawai dealers, may have them. I'm hoping to have time to walk down the street this coming week to check out their current stock, as the CA-98 is currently my top choice.

The Bonners video shootouts sold me on the CA98 over Yamaha, or over more portable solutions from any number of vendors (including that much-talked-about Italian company), but for me the action and escapement m after the most so I look forward to finding one to try soon.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for the replies, Mal & Mark. There's a store in West Chester, PA called Taylor's that looks to have a good inventory from their web site, including some Yamaha & Casio entries as well. I may need to take a drive down there. The one thing I like (in theory, since I don't have the actual experience of playing them) is the soundboard speaker system on the Kawai's, which could give a better spatial effect than regular speaker systems.

DC Pianos in Berkeley CA is one generation behind across-the-board, but I hope to go there this week or next anyway, to at least get an idea of the difference between an MP-11 (recently upgraded to the MP11SE, but not in stock locally) semi-portable model to the CA97 (replaced last month by the CA98) home model.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hello chaps,

I'm sure you're aware of this already, however the Kawai America website has a dealer locator which should help in finding local Kawai dealers:

http://www.kawaius.com/dealer_locator/locator_main.html

For everything else, I'm a little biased, but I believe the Kawai-Global website (linked above) is the best source of information regarding Kawai instruments.

I'm also happy to assist with queries (where possible) via the forum or PM.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Thanks, James. It was through that site that I learned a few years ago about the piano store down the street from my office that has been hiding in plain sight, just as my own company does, and about everyone else on San Pablo Ave. that is concerned about break-ins (which we have constantly, including over the holidays).

• 2 months later...
I'm expecting to finally make it to DC Pianos on Monday, as I'll have to walk quite near it anyway to get my tax forms mailed. I'll be trying the previous models, but that will also help me decide whether to get an MP11SE, which essentially has the keyboard from the previous CA-series from what I gather.

I made it to DC Pianos just before closing time (I had to wait in line for an hour at the post office to mail my taxes), but it was an eye-opening experience.

I still hate the MP-11's keybed as it feels squishy to me and also not realistic enough. They don't yet have the MP-11SE in stock.

They had just gotten in the CA-78 and the CA-98, along with a hybrid piano. All sound great when using the Shigeri samples, and the keybeds feel very natural, though the escapement is still not like on an acoustic grand -- it's more like on an acoustic upright.

Aesthetically, these are also gorgeous digital pianos, but if you look up close, the textured black keys do look a bit strange. You don't notice from a distance or while playing though, and they feel very secure, as do the white keys.

The back board acoustic design of the CA-98 makes a world of difference, as it makes the piano very three dimensional and realistic sounding while playing in the room.

I can't underestimate how much of a difference this acoustical element adds to the overall sound, and thus I'm not sure if one would want to ever record this piano with a line out vs. miking it.

I think the CA-78 is $4k and the CA-98 is $5400, but this is from memory as I didn't have a pen with me and it was a 30+ minute walk. California tax is quite high atop that, but delivery is free.

At $6000 ballpark cost though, I'd probably have to give priority to an acoustic instrument whose value never diminishes, such as my long-deferred marimba purchase.

On the other hand, I would be able to host keyboardists at my house for jazz sessions (I'm not a very advanced player and need to be in the bass role and/or on clarinets when jamming with jazz pros), if I buy the Kawai CA-98.

I'll compare the specs too, as a reminder of what the MP-11SE upgrade brings to the game, but the VPC-1 is off the list for me if its action is about the same as the older MP-11.

At any rate, all of these new Kawai's (including the hybrid, which I liked less in all respects than the CA-series), are several levels up in quality beyond what came before, and have put them in the clear lead in my view.

Oh, the Shigeri samples are amazing -- these might be as usable as the best of current software piano libraries (or Pianoteq).

Hello Mark, thank you for sharing your thoughts on these instruments.

I'll compare the specs too, as a reminder of what the MP-11SE upgrade brings to the game, but the VPC-1 is off the list for me if its action is about the same as the older MP-11.

The MP11SE adds Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 samples, includes a new (Kawai-made) triple-pedal unit, and a revised 'piano-like' side arm design. The keyboard action is identical to the original MP11.

Here's a quick spec-table comparison taken from some product overview materials prepared for dealers (red cells show changes/improvements):

http://i68.tinypic.com/2eml7w0.png

The MP7SE adds the same Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 samples, support for the new triple-pedal unit (sold as an accessory), and has the same revised 'piano-like' side arm design. In addition, the MP7SE includes the update 'Responsive Hammer III' keyboard action, which improves the key weighting and feeling of 'solid-ness' by embedding counterweights on all 88 keys.

Here's the MP7SE spec-table comparison from the same dealer materials:

http://i66.tinypic.com/amefsk.png

I should perhaps add that the new Shigeru Kawai samples in the 'MPSE' models were introduced in the previous generation CA97/CA67 pianos. The latest CA98/CA78 and NV10 pianos includes those samples, but also add a brand new 'SK-EX Rendering' sound engine, which utilises multi-channel sampling and more advanced resonance algorithms. For more information about the new sound engine, please visit this page of the Kawai Global website.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

James

x

EDIT: Ah, I just remembered that the 'MPSE' models also have an additional compatibility switch for expression pedals to select the RING or TIP connector wiring types (i.e. Yamaha vs Roland).

James, thanks so much for that chart. The store thinks they just got in a couple of MP7SE's, but it was too close to closing time for them to check. They do not yet have any MP11SE's on order.

I think they had some CS-series models in stock, but under time pressure, I didn't check them out as I'm not familiar with that series.

I did briefly try one hybrid model that is roughly $7000. There was no sound for the MP11 and I knew there wasn't time for them to hunt down headphones so I didn't bother. Also, the action may have been worn out from being a floor model.

Sorry about my misspelling of "Shigeru", which I did from memory (many months back) as it's simply labeled as SK-EX on the screen. They don't currently have any acoustic Shigeru grands in stock. I'd like to try one.

Hello Mark,

James, thanks so much for that chart.

No problem, I already had the file on hand. ;)

I think they had some CS-series models in stock, but under time pressure, I didn't check them out as I'm not familiar with that series.

Assuming they are the CS11 and CS8, those models are essentially black polish versions of the previous generation CA97/CA67 instruments. The CS11 uses a real upright piano cabinet.

I did briefly try one hybrid model that is roughly $7000.

Was it a Kawai? That price seems a little low to be an NV10.

Sorry about my misspelling of "Shigeru", which I did from memory (many months back) as it's simply labeled as SK-EX on the screen.

No worries about the spelling.

The CA98/CA78 and NV10 (the new hybrid) have two main sound mode: Pianist mode and Sound mode.

The Pianist mode screen is activated by default (i.e. when the instrument is turned on), and utilises the new 'SK-EX Rendering' sound engine I mentioned above. Here's a screenshot:

http://i67.tinypic.com/35c21ok.png

The Sound mode screen is activated by tapping the 'Sound' button on the bottom bar, and utilises the older 'Harmonic Imaging XL' sound engine, which was used in the previous generation CA97/CA67, and also the current MP11SE, MP7SE, etc. Here's a screenshot.

http://i66.tinypic.com/etejyq.png

Some of the CA98/CA78 and NV10 videos I've seen on YouTube only show the instrument being used in 'Sound mode'. The resulting piano sound is still great, but it's not as rich as the new 'Pianist' mode sound.

It's easy to switch between 'Pianist' and 'Sound' mode from the touchscreen, so I encourage anyone who play-tests as CA98/CA78 or NV10 (they all use the same core sound technology), to give them both a try (along with the different 'Rendering Characteristics' in 'Pianist' mode) to hear the improvements - it's particularly noticeable when using good quality headphones.

Kind regards,

James

x

Cool -- I'll bring this with me on my next visit.

The hybrid model may have been a previous rev, and only the first digit was a "7" so it might have been closer to $8k.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from a three-week trip to Portugal and Spain, where the Kawai's seem to be as prevalent as the Yamahas are in the USA.

The aforementioned ES series was in particular abundance.

Welcome back Mark, sounds like you had a lovely trip.

Where did you visit, may I ask?

Regarding Kawai availability, I'm less familiar with Portugal, however I believe Kawai's long-servicing Spain distributor does a very good job.

Kind regards,

James

x

I think I probably saw the Kawai's mostly in Spain, but it was a long trip so now I forget.

I was on Madeira for a week, where there is an amazing amount of top-notch music in all genres all day long every day of the week, but mostly of the acoustic variety.

On the mainland, I had a few days in Lisboa (known as Lisbon to westerners, for some reason), Porto, and Braga. I might have seen electronic instruments in Lisboa and/or Porto.

In Spain, I was on Camino de Santiago for a few days, visiting Santiago de Compostela, Leon, Burgos, and finally Madrid. I seem to recall seeing a large number of Kawai acoustics and electric in each of those towns.

Sure does! I did a similar trip to get the heck out of Vancouver during the 2010 Olympics. Madrid / Seville / Faro / Lisbon. As they say: Portugal is everything you hoped Spain would be.

Here for the gear.

Definitely. I enjoyed Portugal much more, but in many ways Spain was easier and more relaxing.

• 1 year later...

I just tried the CA98 again today, at the local store. Not for me; I'll wait for the CA99 and re-assess. I like it better than other digital console pianos I've had a chance to try, but not enough for that kind of dough. I like it WAY better than ANY acoustic upright that I tried today (dozens of them) and more than a few grand pianos as well. I'm SUPER picky though.

I'm looking forward to when the CA99 is released and shows up at the store. Major improvements in keybed, key feel, and the sound as well. Maybe enough to take it over the top. But I also have my eye on the Casio/Bechstein collaboration. Otherwise, I may just find a "best-compromise" portable model that has tri-pedals (a requirement); even Dexibell?

They didn't have an MP11SE but did have the MP7SE which I found a bit stiff. Lots of other digitals in other series ("CN" etc.) and those are already the new "9" models vs. the older "8" models so they have improved keybeds and sound but not quite in the same league as the CA series. Yet the improvements are gigantic compared to the older "8" models.

There was a bunch written in another thread about best MIDI controller, which I apologize for, as I didn't at the time understand how the search feature now works in the new forum so didn't find this thread at the time. Now I'm a bit more used to it having a larger back history range, but that one must set both sides of the time window to narrow it to max 1 year.