Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official MLB 2017 Thread

It's a new year, so let's take a look ahead to the 2017 MLB season...

What will baseball have on tap in 2017?

And have a look back at a former great...

Son: Former Yankees pitcher Mel Stottlemyre, battling cancer, 'doing a lot better'

Here's to many more years of rewarding life for Mel Stottlemyre and an exciting year ahead for baseball!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Padres are in official heavy rebuilding mode. After a failed 2015 'All In' run they've finally stripped it down and loaded the farm. Should be a year both painful and more fun to watch as much of the young fielding talent has been brought up but we have no pitching.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm looking for a vastly improved Braves team moving into the new Sun Trust Park. They ended 2016 as the strongest team down the stretch, so hopefully they can build on that.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Cardinals are looking to improve on their defense from last year, which was sloppy and very atypical of what we've seen from them traditionally. Last year was a bit strange for the first time in a few years, most of our regulars and starting pitchers were healthy. However, our pitching was worse than usual, and while our offense certainly hit (finally...it's taken a few years), we made too many defensive miscues that cost us some games.

Here's to hoping we get back to our usual pitching/defense. When we get that right, we typically win, regardless of the bats.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ender Inciarte starts party at Braves' new park

Collects first catch, hit, run, homer, final out in SunTrust Park opener

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/224434038/braves-ender-inciarte-first-suntrust-park-star/

Braves are showing flashes of promise, but no consistency. R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon are good pickups and will eat a ton of innings. Freddie Freeman has been torrid - prolly the best player in MLB right now.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Synthaholic, I give you credit. You root for your Braves year in and year out. They just got swept by 2 division rivals back to back and you find something positive in that. Good for you. :cheers:

Then they swept my Padres in a 4 game series. Suntrust park is awesome by accounts of those who I trust who checked it out over the opening series. Congrats. If Braves stick to rebuilding they could be something great in a couple years. Sorry you have Matt Kemp though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

Synthaholic, I give you credit. You root for your Braves year in and year out. They just got swept by 2 division rivals back to back and you find something positive in that. Good for you. :cheers:

As bad as they've been, they can only get better. I just wish it wouldn't take so long! http://i.imgur.com/4i6Ckte.gif

Then they swept my Padres in a 4 game series. Suntrust park is awesome by accounts of those who I trust who checked it out over the opening series. Congrats. If Braves stick to rebuilding they could be something great in a couple years. Sorry you have Matt Kemp though.

He hit a homer last night!

I lived in Atlanta in the 1980s and used to go to Fulton County Stadium all the time during the Dale Murphy days. Tickets were $1 or $2 for nose-bleed section. My roommate and I would go, sit a mile away without another fan in site and smoke joints for 4 innings. At that point, the ushers, wanting to go home as soon as the game was over, would shoo us out of that section and put us in primo seats along the 1st or 3rd base dugouts because TBS wanted the place to look full when they tightly panned across the crowd. We had a great thing going for a couple of years. Good times! :) I never made the trek to Turner Field once I moved away, but it was a well-regarded stadium, except for it's neighborhood - horrible parking options.

• 4 months later...
I'm looking for a vastly improved Braves team moving into the new Sun Trust Park. They ended 2016 as the strongest team down the stretch, so hopefully they can build on that.

Since this is a keyboard-oriented forum, here's a relevant reply: Gotta give it up to the organist at Sun Trust Park. Never been there, but I've heard them play while listening to a Dodgers-Braves game on the radio. If anyone has more info on the organist, I'd sure like some more info on them.

Since this is a keyboard-oriented forum, here's a relevant reply: Gotta give it up to the organist at Sun Trust Park. Never been there, but I've heard them play while listening to a Dodgers-Braves game on the radio. If anyone has more info on the organist, I'd sure like some more info on them.

Matthew Kaminski! He's a jazz organist and he is one of the pioneers of the crowd sourcing tunes on Twitter and being an active voice the fans can reach out to.

Matthew Kaminski

How 'bout them Indians! 22 straight wins. Only 4 away from the 1916 New York Giants' MLB-record run of 26 wins in a row.

How 'bout them Indians! 22 straight wins. Only 4 away from the 1916 New York Giants' MLB-record run of 26 wins in a row.

They are truly on a tear ala the Indians from 'Major League'.

They are truly on a tear ala the Indians from 'Major League'.

I'm no fan, but I'd be perfectly happy with the Indians winning the World Series this year. It's been way too long.

• 3 weeks later...
The postseason has arrived! The Twins are already ahead of the Yankees 3-0 in the first inning of the AL Wild Card Game. Will they advance to the next round?

And the answer is no. Better luck next year, Minnesota.

Congrats to our Yankees fans. On to Cleveland.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

It's been way too long.

your friends in DC feel the same way, although I know you would never root for them. ;)

No. Never. But I used to bear them no ill will when they were the Expos! http://i.imgur.com/4i6Ckte.gif

In case you want to catch up with what's going on:

Everything you need to know about the 2017 postseason

Best,

Geoff

Great article - thanks. I think Kyle Schwarber will come up big again for the Cubbies, and Max Scherzer is prolly the best big game player of all. Incredible pitching on display - future hall of famers?

Scherzer

Verlander

Sales

Kluber

Kershaw

Arrieta

Lester