Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

I use patch 1-1 for the "most common organ sound I'm going to use this gig" slot. That helps a lot. But I wish it had motorized faders and stuff. Of course, that would make it expensive......

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

AnotherScott...v good points about the FA's ability to route the organ to sub-out, which changes everything if you put through a Vent (in my case it'll be a Lester K).

I just need a good basic organ and as I understand it the FA's raw tone is the same as the VR's. Add in the ability to switch between drawbar variations using the 16 slots in a studio set under the new operating system and - while not perfect - it ameliorates one of the weak spots of the FA series by some way.

AnotherScott...v good points about the FA's ability to route the organ to sub-out, which changes everything if you put through a Vent (in my case it'll be a Lester K).

This is exactly why I do when I bring out the FA08. sub out to LesterK.

I run any organ, and a couple other things thru it. A great combination and really enhances the FA organ sounds

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

This is exactly why I do when I bring out the FA08 sub out to LesterK.

I run any organ, and a couple other things thru it. A great combination and really enhances the FA organ sounds

EscapeRocks...do you miss the lack of C/V at all?

• 1 month later...

This is exactly why I do when I bring out the FA08 sub out to LesterK.

EscapeRocks...do you miss the lack of C/V at all?

No, my organ is very minimal and part of the layered sound of the entire band.

In that context, it sounds just fine.

David

Does anybody understand what this means?...

"Edited synthesizer sounds can now be returned to their factory-default values in single-tone units."

It sounds like, before, if you wanted to restore the original factory synth sounds (i.e. to how they were before you made any edits), you had to do all or none, and now you can restore a single synth sound (tone) to its factory state without losing all your other edited sounds (tones) that you may want to leave as is.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks Scott! I love how they go for maximum unintelligibility in all of these keyboard instructions & manuals etc. Reading "single tone units" started auto-playing a wholetone scale in my head .....

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

can you assign all organs to one output and everything to the other?

Can you assign all pianos an octave down while keeping the organ in default position?

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

can you assign all organs to one output and everything to the other?

Can you assign all pianos an octave down while keeping the organ in default position?

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Hi, I'm a VR-09 user and I have a little question for anyone...

I know there's an upgrade for firmware (from 1.03 to 1.11) but despite all the sound improvements and the new rotary I don't want to apply it before ensure that the "hidden sounds", (those only accesible using MSB/LSB/PC MIDI messages) are still there. I'm aware almost every single user in this forum uses the VR-09 only as a clonewheel and don't care about synth tones, but I use them and I wouldn't like to loose those amount of tones (I have almost 200 new synth tones cataloged... I hope to finish collecting them as soon as possible and then I'll upload them to the forum ^_^)

So, please, anyone who have done the upgrade to 1.11, can you try it and tell me if all those sounds are still accesible?

It's needed to send to the VR-09 a MIDI message with a MSB bank/LSB bank/Program change... here some examples: (Specially interesting that "Lyric Soprano voice" and the "Jazz Flute")

(PC are counted from 1-128. Remember to substract one if you send PC from 000-127)

MSB:009/LSB:000/PC:50 --> Soprano Lyric Sing tone

MSB:000/LSB:000/PC:85 --> Tubular Bells tone

MSB:000/LSB:000/PC:71 --> Mandolin tone

MSB:007/LSB:000/PC:99 --> Jazz Flute tone

I hope someone can solve this question, because I really, really, REAAAAAALLY want to try this "Rotary Type 3" >_<

Thanks a lot friends,

D.

I know there's an upgrade for firmware (from 1.03 to 1.11) but despite all the sound improvements and the new rotary I don't want to apply it before ensure that the "hidden sounds", (those only accesible using MSB/LSB/PC MIDI messages) are still there. I'm aware almost every single user in this forum uses the VR-09 only as a clonewheel and don't care about synth tones, but I use them and I wouldn't like to loose those amount of tones (I have almost 200 new synth tones cataloged... I hope to finish collecting them as soon as possible and then I'll upload them to the forum ^_^)

So, please, anyone who have done the upgrade to 1.11, can you try it and tell me if all those sounds are still accesible?

It's needed to send to the VR-09 a MIDI message with a MSB bank/LSB bank/Program change... here some examples: (Specially interesting that "Lyric Soprano voice" and the "Jazz Flute")

(PC are counted from 1-128. Remember to substract one if you send PC from 000-127)

I hope someone can solve this question, because I really, really, REAAAAAALLY want to try this "Rotary Type 3" >_<

Thanks a lot friends,

D.

I tried to send MSB/LSB/PC MIDI messages to my VR09. But no success. Need more instruction how to do it. Which channel must be used, which Midi In mode, etc?

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

First of all, thanks for trying to give me an answer... then, let's go to give a little more background:

In the VR-09 MENU/MIDI can set which channels are assigned to each part... by default UPPER: Ch.4, LOWER: Ch.03, PEDAL: Ch.2, DRUMS: Ch.11, CONTROL: Ch.16. The UPPER channel is the "main one", I mean, the one used when you play a single tone or when you play the upper part in a split, so when you want to send Bank/Program change MIDI message you have to send it to a UPPER channel (remember, by default UPPER: Ch.4).

You can also send it to a LOWER Channel and changes will applied to a lower part of a Split/Layer, but in my tests, there's some cases in which the behavior of the VR-09 was a little strange (nothing really special, only a part that doesn't sounds or a volume "linked" in both parts...) so I think it's better to send those MIDI messages to the UPPER part.

You can send MIDI Messages in some ways...

A) Connecting the VR-09 to a computer via USB port and using some MIDI software. I used MIDI-Ox or Mountain Utilities MIDI Tools, both freeware and with lots of good functions (MIDI-Ox -> View/Control Panel // MIDI Tools -> View/Program Changer).

B) You can use a MIDI external hardware, such a controller keyboard connected to MIDI IN port (I've tested some of them... the last one was a cheap Alesis Q49) or even a MIDI Program Changer (I've tested a vintage Program Changer by Roland, the RC-3... but this hardware was not able to send MSB/LSB changes, only Program Change).

C) There's another less common option (in fact, one of the rarest things I've done...) which consist in use the VR-09 itself as a MIDI controller for itself... This method requires some extense instructions, so I've explain them in some other time ;)... but it's possible to do it!!

Well it's all, I think... now it's testing time! :D

Hope to see some answers in a brief!

Thanks a lot, friends!

D.

Posted on the Shameless Plugs, hope it's ok to post here too. My band (Smokestone, from Brazil) recorded a live studio video that features the VR-09 proeminently (organ, piano and moog bass, all costumized by me). Unfortunately the organ is prior the update, but i liked how it sounded. Hope it helps the undecided people about how this little machine can sound AWESOME.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2883095/My_rock_band_from_Brazil_feat_#Post2883095

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Posted on the Shameless Plugs, hope it's ok to post here too. My band (Smokestone, from Brazil) recorded a live studio video that features the VR-09 proeminently (organ, piano and moog bass, all costumized by me). Unfortunately the organ is prior the update, but i liked how it sounded. Hope it helps the undecided people about how this little machine can sound AWESOME.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2883095/My_rock_band_from_Brazil_feat_#Post2883095

Wow!!! Just watched the YouTube. sound great and your playing is killer!

Is that a custom cabinet you made to sit the VR-09 in?

David

Thanks for your kind words! Yes, that's the VR-09 party clothes LOL... gives a better stage presence and actually, calls a great ammount of attention including people from the audience... ;)

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Thanks for your kind words! Yes, that's the VR-09 party clothes LOL... gives a better stage presence and actually, calls a great ammount of attention including people from the audience... ;)

:like:

David

Thanks a lot friends,

D.

Good find, thanks! The "hidden sounds" are all still there under the new OS 1.11! Now you can update your VR09 at ease. Enjoy the new Leslie 3 my friend!

BTW: I had to set Midi In Mode 2 to make the MSB/LSB program change work.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Good find, thanks! The "hidden sounds" are all still there under the new OS 1.11! Now you can update your VR09 at ease. Enjoy the new Leslie 3 my friend!

BTW: I had to set Midi In Mode 2 to make the MSB/LSB program change work.

Thanks for taking time to test it... I'll upload some registrations with hidden sounds as soon as I have a little time.

That's the way to make a VR-09 smoke. Roland should include that in their demos for it. Its that good. :like:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

That's the way to make a VR-09 smoke. Roland should include that in their demos for it. Its that good. :like:

Whoa! Tks man! Roland Brazil actually showed interest to do this, but still nothing... Glad you liked!

The VR09 features quite a few handsome drum kits. Is it possible to assign these drumkits to the factory drum patterns? Couldn't find anything on that.

As far as I know, each drum pattern use each own drum preset and it can't be changed (please, correct me if I'm wrong)... BUT... you can create a MIDI drum sequence, assign the desired drum kit (including MSB/LSB/PC config in the SMF) and play it through the VR-09.

Sounding great! :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Sounding great! :)

Thank you sir! :D

Does anyone know if you can add or remove Expression pedal control on a per-Registration basis ? It'd be great to be able to MIDI something like Mainstage, but only have the Expression pedal control it and leave the internal sounds on the VR-09 alone.

Does anyone know if that's possible ?

Thanks in advance !

- JT