Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-07

The Roland FA-07 features the Fatar TP/9S, the same action that is found in the Prophet 6/OB-6, NI Komplete Kontrol 25/49/61, etc.

I got this from a friend at Roland, so it seems pretty legit. I will reserve the right to claim innocence if it's false, but I feel pretty good about it at the moment.

FWIW, someone who just got an FA-07 posted this on facebook (in the Roland FA-06 / FA-07 / FA-08 group):

As for the action, I do not have a problem with it. I had a Kurzweil PC3K6 (synth action) that I never could get accustomed to playing.... I'd say {it's} heavier than the PC3K6

Since the PC3K6 uses the TP/9 synth action, this would imply that is not the action in the FA-07. But it's still not definitive, as it's not impossible that the person could have typed the wrong Kurz model number, or misremember how it felt, or there could be differences in how a TP/9S could feel (as different organs with TP/8O don't all feel the same). I'm looking forward to hearing more reports about the feel as they hit the field, but the good news is, regardless of what's in it, every report I've seen from someone who has played one has been positive. Though I guess the common FA-06 reference point isn't the highest bar. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting anxiously for the first user reviews on the forum....

Yes, and I heard it is shipping with an overlay, I would be interested to know if that is true.

Someone on Roland Clan said his FA07 just arrived and it did come with overlays.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Looks like Scott is going to be our first in around here with the 07. Exciting times! :)

I'll have to settle for shop floor for now... Unless Scott says its a winner. (no pressure to be right about this, scott) ;)

Actually my next round will more likely be a lighter weight stage piano, Grandstage 73, PX-5S or update, MP7 or some update CP4 or some update - tough decision

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hi all,

i am new here :) pls forgive my english language...great forum! :)

i am an "rather old but not so old" piano/keyboard player..

i am very attracted by this Roland FA07, i saw some youtube demonstration videos and i think it could like it!, i am not a "live player" so i'd use it in home studio..

..i am wondering about the following things about the Roland FA07:

- in this video

Scott Tibbs, says circa at 1m.34s "roland fa07 has all that previous Fa06/Fa08 have, but also new sounds.."

so anyone knows about "what new sounds" is talking about ?

since i thought that roland fa06/07/08 series share all the same sounds..

instead seems that roland fa07 could have different (new) sounds..from the previous fa06/fa08

- another thing is related to the sequencer:

say that i am recording a single track in the internal roland fa07 sequencer using the "JP8 strings1"..well

if i turn left/right the "sound modify knobs" excatly like in this frame (video):

still while i am recording,

Will this information be recorded into the sequencer track ?

i mean, after finished recording, hearing the recorded track, will i hear the effects of the turned knobs during the recording session ?

thanks in advance..

bye.

in this video
Scott Tibbs, says circa at 1m.34s "roland fa07 has all that previous Fa06/Fa08 have, but also new sounds.."

so anyone knows about "what new sounds" is talking about ?

since i thought that roland fa06/07/08 series share all the same sounds.

Good catch! I think he made a mistake. Concurrently with the announcement of the FA-07, Roland introduced the new 2.0 software and the new downloadable EXP-11 sound pack, so I'm guessing that's what he was thinking about. But the new software and EXP-11 can also be downloaded into the existing FA-06 and FA-08. He also made a mistake later when he said that the FA-07 included all the SuperNatural sounds of the Integra. It includes a subset. Significantly, it is missing most of the SN Acoustic tones.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

hi Scott,

i really thank you for pointed it out to me..i didn't know those details;

then, in the light of what you wrote about FA07 missing most of SN Acoustic tones,

it would be great, if in the near future, Roland could introduce these missing tones

in new downlodable EXP sounds pack!..But maybe is only "a dream" cause I have doubts that they will do that, since Integra 7 will might lose its value...but who knows..(i really do not know anything about marketing strategies)

my concern is to choose the best (right) keyboard suitable for me, since it's an important spending for me, infact i am attracted also from Yamaha MoxF8 that has a similar price range of the Roland FA07..

after reading some forum posts, from my limited knowledge, i have learned that Moxf8 has better Acoustic/Guitars sounds and powerful arpeggiator function..and Roland FA07 could have better piano and synth sounds

but Roland FA07(/FA06/FA08) arpeggiator function is so "weak/powerless" compared to the MoxF8 one ?

Did any forum user has got & tested the Roland FA07 yet ?

in the light of what you wrote about FA07 missing most of SN Acoustic tones,

it would be great, if in the near future, Roland could introduce these missing tones

in new downlodable EXP sounds pack!..But maybe is only "a dream" cause I have doubts that they will do that, since Integra 7 will might lose its value...but who knows..(i really do not know anything about marketing strategies)

Yes, it might be a marketing decision to not offer additional SN acoustic tones, though it could also be a design limitation. The current EXP packs are strictly PCM sample data and their associated programs. SuperNatural Acoustic tones also include behavior modeling, and that code may have "nowhere to go" in the FA's downloadable data area. The Integra's virtual expansion slots do accept both straight PCM and also SuperNatural expansion sets, but all the expansion sets are, themselves, permanently stored in the machine, so "what's really where" could be a little nebulous.

i am attracted also from Yamaha MoxF8 that has a similar price range of the Roland FA07..

after reading some forum posts, from my limited knowledge, i have learned that Moxf8 has better Acoustic/Guitars sounds and powerful arpeggiator function..and Roland FA07 could have better piano and synth sounds

In case you missed it, MOXF7 and FA08 are compared in the thread at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2689955

though the Roland's poor MIDI functionality has been addressed in the new 2.0 software upgrade.

The fact that you're looking at the FA07 rather than the 08 also means that the differences in travel weight and keyboard feel may be more significant as well.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Scott,

thank you again for your valuable and useful tips!

i have read about MOXF7 and FA08 comparison you linked,

and about what you wrote in your post..but i am not able to take a decision, yet :|

i'am looking for the Roland F07 and not FA08 cause FA07 price is the max budget i can afford and i'd use it it at home (so not need to travel with it)

i know FA08 has a different keybed (probably better than the Fa07, or not?) and 88 keys,

but i already own a Yamaha P-120 88 keys that is pretty old, but i like its keybed action (i think it has aftertouch too..) and so i could use Yamaha P120 as a "master keyboard" to eventually drive the FA07 sounds via midi (sincerely i dot not know if this is a good idea, but it might be...what do you think about?)

i am indeed doubtful about which keyboard to buy..i mean among Yamaha moxf8 and roland fa07...let me explain, so you might help me to dissolve my doubts:

my will is to buy a keyboard that has really good sounds and a lot of them..

cause i already own a computer DAW, so FA07/FA08 sequencer features are not so important,

and owning the yamaha P120, even Roland fa07 keybed quality might be not so critic albeit important,

so at the end, the most important feature are keyboard sounds!

and i must admit i have always loved Roland sounds..

This is the crucial point:

Is Roland FA07 keyboard worth buying for (only) its quality sounds (and total # of them)?

(Or does exist another keyboard with better and comparable quality & same nr.# of total sounds in its price range ?)

You might say that instead buying a keyboard, i should redirect my efforts in VST sounds, this could be true but i think roland FA07 has a lot of (good) sounds and buying comparable vst sounds could be very expensive.

Or am i wrong ?

Thanks...bye.

i know FA08 has a different keybed (probably better than the Fa07, or not?) and 88 keys,

b

Not better/worse, different.

i could use Yamaha P120 as a "master keyboard" to eventually drive the FA07 sounds via midi (sincerely i dot not know if this is a good idea, but it might be...what do you think about?)

That should work fine, for the times you want to play the Roland from a more piano-like action.

This is the crucial point:

Is Roland FA07 keyboard worth buying for (only) its quality sounds (and total # of them)?

(Or does exist another keyboard with better and comparable quality & same nr.# of total sounds in its price range ?)

I have not been able to spend enough time to answer that conclusively, but in general, I'd say that the MOXF sounds better than the Roland overall, though there are certain areas where the Roland may be better. The other keyboard I'd look at in that price range would be the Kurzweil Artis7.

• 4 weeks later...
Question for FA owners... If I have a two-sound Split (bass on lower par of keyboard), can I use the 16 trigger pads to select from among 16 sounds for my right hand part?

Question for FA owners... If I have a two-sound Split (bass on lower par of keyboard), can I use the 16 trigger pads to select from among 16 sounds for my right hand part?

No, I dont think this is possible. When in Split mode and Dual mode you only have two sounds available. However, this could be accomplished in Studio Set mode. You would assign your bass as program 1 and adjust the keyboard range to give you your desired range. Assign the other 15 sounds to the rest of the Studio Set slots and adjust all of their keyboard ranges to be above your bass range (this way any of them could be your right hand part).

Then set your pad mode to Keyboard Switch, turn the keyboard switch of the bass program #1 to ON. Make sure all the other parts have keyboard switch OFF. Set your cursor on the bass program and then save the Studio Set. Now, the bass is always on, as the left hand part and when you hit any of the other 15 pads, it selects your right hand part.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Ah, so it sounds like the answer is, no, I can't use the pads to select from 16 right hand sounds, but I can use the pads to select from *15* right hand sounds! That will do, thanks!

Yes, not too shabby ! Please note, I edited my post to change pad mode from Part Select to Keyboard Switch. With part select mode you can only choose one sound to play at a time. No good for what you want.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Still cannot find any definitive "chatter" re the 07 keybed...I am seriously considering one, but no stores here (not that I cna get to them hahah) have any. I happened to be at one on the weekend (about 4 ours drive away - one way) but they didn't have any. Didn't even have a Kronos 73 (also on the radar) to try :(

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Still cannot find any definitive "chatter" re the 07 keybed...

I played the Jupiter 50 and the FA-07 side-by-side. The FA-07 action is not nearly as good as the Jupiter 50's. The keys are about the same length, but the Jupiter 50's keys feel about the same from the front to the back, whereas the rear two inches or so of the FA-07 get increasingly unresponsive (reminiscent of the FA-06, though reports I've seen from people who have played those two say that the FA-07 feels better then the FA-06).

From what I can recall of the 06, I'd agree with you, the 07 is closer to the 06 than it is to the J50. I didn't play the 06 and 07 in enough proximity to each other to make a confident comparison between those two, though. It's interesting that you prefer the 06 to the 07.

Well, I'm going to dissent here and say I found the FA-07 ok for playing piano. I tested it alongside an 06 and a JP-50. I found it light years ahead of the 06, and not too far away from the JP-50...just kind of 'different' to the JP-50 but not necessarily worse.

Would I want to play solo Billy Joel on it? Probably not. But I'm in a classic rock band and it will be fine in that context. The light weight and great form factor was the clincher, along with the sample pads and sequencer.

I'm likely to pull the trigger on it to replace my CP4 as bottom board, which I love but is just a little too heavy for the third floor apartment I live on...and I'm gigging more lately!

The only thing I might GAS for is the Kurzweil SP-6 when that is released, but hey GAS never ends right?!

I found it light years ahead of the 06, and not too far away from the JP-50...just kind of 'different' to the JP-50 but not necessarily worse.

Thanks Marillo, that's good to know! I regret not buying the JP-50 when they were on clearance here. I was hoping the FA-07 would be the next best thing (action-wise).

Like you I have a CP4, and with my already bad back I'm finding it harder to lug it to rehearsals and small gigs.

I'm actually swaying towards a VR-09 (which would save me north of $1000 over an FA-07). The action is nothing to write home about, but I gigged on a Juno Di for over 6 years and found it always got the job done. There are so many wonderful instruments to choose from right now! :tired:

The VR-09 is great as a top board - I use one - but not sure the action or piano sounds quite cut it, certainly not if you're used to a CP-4.

You might be interested in the new VR-730 which is the updated version of the VR-09 and has a 73-note waterfall keyboard, along with some new electric piano sounds from the RD-2000 stage piano.

I don't know if Roland updated the acoustic piano sample in there, too. The one in the original VR-09 isn't great.

Good call! I've just looked up the VR-730 - sadly the price in NZ is almost $2200 USD compared to $1000 USD (approx) for a VR-09B.

The FA-07 is closer to $1700 USD here. Perhaps I should go back to the drawing board and reconsider the FA-07. I'm primarily a jazz piano player, but I play a lot of theatre music too. I'm sure the FA-07 action would get me by. Anyway, I would take my CP4 for a solo piano/jazz trio gig I reckon.

AnotherScott, do you think you'll keep your FA-07 despite your findings with the action?

You would assign your bass as program 1 and adjust the keyboard range to give you your desired range. Assign the other 15 sounds to the rest of the Studio Set slots and adjust all of their keyboard ranges to be above your bass range (this way any of them could be your right hand part).

Then set your pad mode to Keyboard Switch, turn the keyboard switch of the bass program #1 to ON. Make sure all the other parts have keyboard switch OFF. Set your cursor on the bass program and then save the Studio Set. Now, the bass is always on, as the left hand part and when you hit any of the other 15 pads, it selects your right hand part.

Almost! The problem with this (for this purpose) is that, when you select a new RH part, it gets layered along with (rather than replacing) the previous RH part. So for example, if pad 2 = piano, and pad 3 = organ, and you are playing bass and piano (initiated by pressing pad #2), and you want to switch your RH sound to organ, you can't simply hit pad 3 to get to the organ, you also have to hit pad 2 again to turn off the piano.

BUT there is a way to effectively accomplish the goal. The key is to use the new "Keyboard Switch Group" feature of the 2.0 software upgrade. As you said, make sure sound #1 is the bass sound up to a certain key, restrict the other 15 sounds to play above that key. Then (using the same example assignments I mentioned above) you could turn on sounds 1 (bass) and 2 (piano) and save that assignment to button 2, and turn on sounds 1 (bass) and 3 (organ) and save that assignment to button 3, and then indeed, you can use button 2 to start playing bass+piano, and then press 3 to seamlessly switch to bass+organ. (And if you actually want a combination of more than one RH sound, you can create single buttons for that as well.)

This new feature is what actually makes the FA really usable for LH bass work. I started by trying to use the main program select buttons (beneath the display) to select RH sounds as I played, but there was no effective way to do that. Problem #1 was that there is no way to determine which sound comes up by default in each of the button-categories. Not only that... even if you manually navigate one of those buttons to the sound you want, if you switch away from it and come back, it doesn't remember he last sound you used and still takes you back to the factory default sound for that button. Yes, you can redefine what those buttons do by using the Favorite function, but a Favorite always redefines the entire keyboard, you can't use it to just select a RH sound for a split. You can set up Favorites with the different splits you want in advance (kind of the way we're talking about using the pads in KSG mode), but there is no patch remain for switching among them, so for example, your LH bass might glitch unless you time your sound change just right. With that nice Split display showing you what's playing on the left and the right, I was surprised at how poorly suited the FA seemed to be for doing LH bass! But the new 2.0 option provides a workable solution. You can set up LH bass combinations with the 15 sounds you use most often, and if you want to grab some other RH sound on the fly, you can still navigate to that part on the main screen and pull up some other sound. Though again, this would be so much better if you had more control over where the 10 buttons under the display would take you.

(ETA: You could also create another Studio Set with another set of 15 if need be. Unfortunately, there is no display you can call up that will tell you at a glance which sounds you have currently assigned to the 15 pads. I"m also not sure how quickly you could navigate from one set of 15 to another, and of course, there would be no patch remain between the two sets.)

I guess that, from the pictures of the displays and button layout, I had thought/hoped this would be well suited for seat-of-your-pants operation, grab the sounds you want as you need them and where you want them, but like most boards, it's really more oriented toward setting up what you need in advance, at least once you get beyond playing one sound at a time. That said, even though you pretty much need to set up your splits and layers in advance, it's easier to do on the FA than on many other boards.

AnotherScott, do you think you'll keep your FA-07 despite your findings with the action?

There's a lot I like about it, but it's going back. I might write more about it when I get a chance. Short version: I found the Kurzweil Artis7 to be better in almost every way, except for travel weight :-( and mostly things I don't care about (sequencer, rhythms, arpeggiator, d-beam, trigger pads which I often wouldn't be able to use as trigger pads anyway because I'd need to use them for patch selection, since as explained in the previous post, that's the only way to make it really work for LH bass).

Action, controls, patch navigation, patch remain functionality, LH bass flexibility, all favor the Kurz. Each has some sounds I like better than what's in the other (at least once you load some of the SRX/Axial stuff into the Roland), but I probably like more of the Kurz over the Roland (and if I were sufficiently motivated, I could still get the Roland sounds from the Integra7). Just too many trade-offs for the 9 lbs. Which I don't say lightly because 9 lbs is a lot.