Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2882917 - 10/02/17 12:57 PM Tom Petty
02R96 Offline
Platinum Member

Tom Petty was found late Sunday night in Full Cardiac Arrest. According to TMZ he's been taken off life support...

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

GP Island
#2882920 - 10/02/17 12:59 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: 02R96]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One of my absolute faves... very sad.

#2882930 - 10/02/17 01:15 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity...dhp&ffid=gz <---my thoughts and prayers go out to him...

ps. I'm now hearing that he has passed on to the spirit world. Rest in Peace Tom. My condolences to all of your friends and family...

Edited by Larryz (10/02/17 01:22 PM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2882966 - 10/02/17 02:21 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
What a pity. And so close to his next birthday.

My thoughts and condolences go out to his family and other loved ones.

You and him were about the same age, eh, Larry? Both born in '50? You must be thinking, "There but for the grace....."
Whitefang

#2882981 - 10/02/17 02:57 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: whitefang]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

Less than two hours ago, I was listening to Mary Jane's Last Dance on the radio, and at the end of the song, a woman on the radio station said "We remember Tom Petty". I thought that's what they say when somebody died. Later, another radio station announced that Tom Petty did indeed die earlier today. What a shame.

#2882985 - 10/02/17 03:38 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Sharkman]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Absolutely stunned. Missed a chance to see him last week in the town I live in, with my bandmates. Thought I'd have another chance.

Petty is one of my heroes. His status is a bit mixed-up in the press right now, with contrary reports, but it does sound like he won't be "all there" if he survives the cardiac arrest. That is, apparently there would be significant brain damage.

I didn't think I could get any sadder today from all of the bad news around the world this past week or two. Surely it has to get better from here? But for Tom Petty, I can only offer prayers.

#2882987 - 10/02/17 03:47 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Sharkman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Yeah, he was much too young Fang! He was 66 and I'm 67...I was born in January and he was born in October. When you get my age, the 1st thing you look at in the obits is the dates of birth. It lets me know that any of us could pass on at any time. And, our last days here on earth are getting closer every day...I know that people in their 90's passing on to the spirit world is a normal thing. I always feel bad for those that are much younger than me when they pass on. The article in Rolling Stone said he has passed, the radio report just said he his still with us. Either way I wish only the best for him and his family...

#2882989 - 10/02/17 04:05 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Larryz]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
As far as I've read, he is still alive but not expected to make it through the night.
My Pics

#2883014 - 10/02/17 05:36 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: A String]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Very sad news....

#2883019 - 10/02/17 06:36 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Bluesape]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Wow. What a surprise. RIP Tom Petty
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2883063 - 10/03/17 04:30 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I guess it's true that you never know when the guy in the shroud's gonna tap you on the shoulder.

While I never thought him to be "great" musically, his music was easy to take and did have wide appeal. His greatness was in the fact he seemed to live his life inoffensively and without a lot, if any controversy. Seemed to just want to play his music and move on. Which was refreshing for any big name acts these days.

Good on you, Tom. smile
Whitefang

#2883096 - 10/03/17 07:41 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Quote:
I never thought him to be "great" musically, his music was easy to take and did have wide appeal. His greatness was in the fact he seemed to live his life inoffensively and without a lot, if any controversy.

Hmm.
Not great musically ?
He's the songwriter Broooooooce S has always wanted to be b/c TP expressed things unpretentiously..
[Chk BS's best ever teenage rock single "Going Down" for an example]
Plus he had the sense to hire Mike Campbell who = 3 Little Steveies + 7 Nils Lofgrens.

Not controversial ?
This cat, way before Pearl Jam or others stood up to record labels abt their 1-sided deals; to ticket sellers abt pricing & to modern radio chains on their methods of selecting artists for airplay.

Who we got do that mow ?

All that aside...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqDq3eyTGck

The sun went down as I crossed the hill
The town lit up, the world got still
I'm learning to fly but I ain't got wings
Coming down is the hardest thing
The good old days may not return.
Rocks might melt and the sea may burn
Some say life will beat you down, Break your heart, steal your crown
I've started out for God knows where. Guess I'll know when I get there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p_f7Df2-oM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TlBTPITo1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN9OHDssYSE

#2883106 - 10/03/17 08:33 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: d]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Sad news. RIP Tom

#2883115 - 10/03/17 09:39 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: jimmac]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
And the Tom Petty signature model Rickenbacker 12 string is a fine guitar, too. I was able to use one at a studio session once. So tempted to pack it up with the rest of my guitars, but I'm not the thievin' kind.

#2883117 - 10/03/17 10:11 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: 02R96]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
His songwriting + Mike Campbell`s guitar, was too too good. I always looked forward to new music from him. Used to play `Restless` back in my Taipei days.
He was one of the most sure-handed tunesmiths out there.
Man, I`m hoping for some GOOD news at some point-this is not it.
RIP Mr. Petty, you were freakin good stuff.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2883150 - 10/03/17 12:47 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The "not a lot of controversy" comes from I don't recall ever hearing about him getting into much legal hassles, or any tabloid horseshit about anything unsavory. Kind of a no-brainer, actually.

"Not great musically" is a matter of opinion. I never considered his stuff to be too far "out there", just basic but well done straight ahead rock'n'roll.

No real meat for psuedo-intellectuals to chew on, which can be kind of refreshing now and then. wink
Whitefang

#2883293 - 10/04/17 10:57 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
The "not a lot of controversy" comes from I don't recall ever hearing about him getting into much legal hassles, or any tabloid horseshit about anything unsavory. Kind of a no-brainer, actually.

"Not great musically" is a matter of opinion. I never considered his stuff to be too far "out there", just basic but well done straight ahead rock'n'roll.

No real meat for psuedo-intellectuals to chew on, which can be kind of refreshing now and then. wink
Whitefang

Yeah... nobody can say anything bad about him in death, which has unfortunately become standard now for celebrities.

And he was recently honest about being a heroin addict... suddenly in his late 40s/early 50s, completely in seclusion, as a result of depression. Nobody (not even his bandmates) knew or would've known, but he thought people should learn how that can happen to people who seemingly have nothing to be depressed about.

I loved the music... even a lot of the stuff that I heard and thought he'd lost it over the years, it soon grew on me and seemed perfect. He made it look and sound too easy.

He was always just "cool" to me as a kid.

#2883294 - 10/04/17 10:58 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Listening to his final interview from a week or two ago, now.

LA Times: Tom Petty's Final Interview

#2883295 - 10/04/17 11:00 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I also hope The Heartbreakers team up with Stevie Nicks and Waddy Wachtel and keep playing the songs.

#2883307 - 10/04/17 11:42 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I was not a follower of Bruce or Tom, but they both did a few iconic songs that I still think are great...like Born in the USA and American Girl. Any friend of Roy Orbison is a friend of mine. I loved it when Bruce did the Black and White DVD with Roy and I loved it when Tom played with Roy, George Harrison, Bob Dylan and the other guy LOL! Tom's days with the Traveling Wilburys are the best days for me... cool

#2883331 - 10/04/17 02:41 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My like of Bruce is limited too. But "Born In The U.S.A." ain't one of 'em.

Fun bit of trivia HS I found out in another forum---

"American Girl" was recorded for the group's 1st LP in '76 and released as a single the following year. But it didn't chart in the U.S. until RE-released in '94.

Most people( me and several buddies included) never heard of him and The Heartbreakers until he showed up on SLN in '79 and did "Refugee" from "Damn The Torpedoes". Turned out I ran into a few of them in line at Harmony House the following Sunday morning with a copy of the LP in hand waiting to check out! grin

"Torpedoes" was the band's 3rd LP. They were big in the UK for a couple years before ever getting anywhere here at home.

Thank a woman who calls herself TIKI SOO for that info. smile
Whitefang

#2883336 - 10/04/17 02:57 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Born in the USA is a little too real for most people. I think Bruces' best song (for me anyway) is Dancing in the Dark. The 1st time I heard Tom's American Girl was in '91 when the Silence of the Lambs movie came out. It became an instant classic with me... evil

#2883375 - 10/04/17 07:44 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Larryz]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

I have never been much of a Tom Petty fan. It's just not the type of music I prefer to listen to. But Monday, when the radio stations were playing his songs all afternoon, I knew every word and guitar riff of every song I heard. What can I say? The guy made some likeable music for several decades.

#2883402 - 10/05/17 03:01 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I never understood the appeal of Bruce until I heard his songs, mostly done by other people. The E Street band just doesn`t interest me, even though it featured some top-shelf players. `Born in the U.S.A`-I appreciated the meaning a lot more than the song. But `Blinded by the Light`, `Pink Cadillac`, Dancing in the Dark` then `Tunnel of Love`-okay, now I get it. `Fire` from Pointer Sisters was one of his too methinks.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2883411 - 10/05/17 04:45 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

CBS news the other day when covering the story of his death played a clip of an interview with him from whenever...

They were in some warehouse the band used for rehearsals and the interviewer was saying to Tom, "We were just couning. 120 guitars? " and Tom chuckled and said, "But, you only need ONE!" grin Then when asked, "Why so many?" Tom sheepishly said, "Well, it kinda got away from me......" wink
Whitefang

#2883493 - 10/05/17 01:11 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: whitefang]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Springsteen's a nice guy, and his heart's in the right place, plus he does use top-notch players, but I have never once felt emotionally moved by one of his performances or recordings.

Sometimes I think it's because I don't in general relate to NY/NJ. I also think this is why very few Woody Allen movies appeal to me.

Yet I often find a song I have loved for years, was by him! For instance, only just now has the connection to "Fire" by the Pointer Sisters been made.

So maybe it just "hasn't happened" for me yet. After all, I only liked Dylan songs as covered by other people, until around the mid to late 80's when I finally "got" Dylan. Now I prefer his renditions of his own songs.

Petty, on the other hand, grabbed me the instant I heard him, back in my college days. It was new and familiar at the same time, and his voice was something I really dug right away, and continued to dig even as he began to emulate Dylan more as time went on.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (10/05/17 01:12 PM)

#2883503 - 10/05/17 01:31 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
Though I like both artists' early work, after 1983, I preferred Petty to Springsteen by far. Petty's songs had an every man quality that was warm and familiar, and infinitely replayable.

Having said that, Springsteen's early stuff is like folk rock for urban/suburban working class people. Having grown up in NJ in the '70's, he did capture a lot of the zeitgeist and attitude of that period. Once the overproduced "Born in the USA" hit big, he started referring to himself in the third person lost that connection.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2883513 - 10/05/17 02:48 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Bottom End]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sure. I much preferred Bruce's earlier work, "Born To Run" and "Jungleland" among the more favored. And I didn't like "Born In The U.S.A." because it struck me musically inferior and lyrically sophmoric in comparison to what I knew he was capable of. Not because it was "too real" . rolleyes

But then a few later works,"Pink Cadillac" in particular, did catch my fancy.

As for Tom, that "everyman" quality was his strongest appeal. Nothing complicated in the song's structures or no pretentiously "artsy-fartsy" poetic lyrics. As for him "emulating" Dylan.....most people thought that right off. But it was apparent too, that it wasn't an affectation, which also was a huge appeal. Like I stated. Straightforward, honest rock'n'roll. And nothing pretending to be something it's not. smile
Whitefang

#2883546 - 10/05/17 08:43 PM Re: Tom Petty [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Tom's voice definitely has a Dylan vibe to it. Mark Knopfler is another one that I hear some Dylan vibe in his vocals. I think Mark sings the best out of the 3... cool

#2883566 - 10/06/17 03:52 AM Re: Tom Petty [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Y'know, I've heard that "Dylan vibe" being given as the reason some people liked Petty, and also as a reason some people DIDN'T like Tom.

Go figure....
Whitefang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose