Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2882914 - 10/02/17 12:53 PM O.T.: Las Vegas
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Sad that a music venue was chosen for last night's terror in Las Vegas. Our music deserves better IMHO.

Having said that, I have always been a huge supporter of the rights of gun owners. I swore to uphold the Constitution when I volunteered for the Marine Corps and a Marine's oath never expires. However, to continue to do the same thing over and over and expect different results is the definition of insanity (and may I add 'stupidity'). I will continue to support responsible ownership of firearms, however, I think it's time the United States initiates legislation to control access to illegal automatic assault weapons to the mentally impaired, depressed, PTSD, and terrorist aligned people. Background checks for all firearm and ammo sales seems the logical compromise that will all gun ownership to the people who deserve that right and control (as best we can) deny access by those who would use them to cause terror.

And may I add, I can't understand why a single individual would ever need 19 automatic AR Assault rifles...

GP Island
#2882954 - 10/02/17 01:47 PM Re: O.T.: Las Vegas [Re: DocPate]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I'm with you. I don't own a gun, but I fully realize that my family might tot be walking the earth but for the 2nd Amendment.

But legally purchased firearms are the #1 implement for suicide in the USA. And some years ago, after scouring hundreds of cases, I noted that legally purchased firearms are also the #1 option for family annihilatiors, spree killers and mass shooters.

The common thread is mental illness. And if you look back at the history, the USA has done a progressively worse job of dealing with mental health for decades, starting with certain Republicans in California, but with ample bipartisan mimicry in other states and at the federal level.

If nothing else, we have to do a better job of diagnosing and treating the relevant afflictions, and keeping firearms out of the hands of those who are suffering from them. We have to reverse this.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2882963 - 10/02/17 02:08 PM Re: O.T.: Las Vegas [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Sorry guys. Discussing the current gun control issue falls way to much into the political side of things. There are a lot of places to discuss your beliefs and opinions on Gun control. A guitar forum is not one of them.
My Pics

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose