Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Genos

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yamaha Genos USA pricing

Posted on September 28, 2017

News flash! The Yamaha Genos will come in one model: 76 keys. USA manufacturers suggested retail price, also known as MSRP or the retail list price, will be $6799. The minimum advertised price, known as MAP or the street price, will be $5,499. All prices are U.S. Dollars (USD).

U

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Watched the 15 min of him playing all those styles. I don't know much about the demand for these machines these days but it seems pretty great at what it does....? I wouldn't mind having one BUT, I have many other uses for $5k.

That tele sound at 14:00 is pretty damn good for a keyboard.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Because I'm a simple-minded guitar/bass kinda dude, can someone clarify the difference between the Genos and the Montage? I thought the Montage was the new be-all, end-all, and now this thing comes along. Are they for different applications? Is this the new top o' the line, replacing the Montage? The Montage is expensive enough, and yet this one's even more. What's this thing bring to the table that the Montage ain't already got (aside from more money for fewer keys, vis a vis the Montage 88)?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Yamaha Genos USA pricing

News flash! The Yamaha Genos will come in one model: 76 keys. USA manufacturers suggested retail price, also known as MSRP or the retail list price, will be $6799. The minimum advertised price, known as MAP or the street price, will be $5,499. All prices are U.S. Dollars (USD).

Hi --

Thanks for re-posting that from my web site. :-)

I wrote up some initial opinions, specs, etc. at:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-genesis/

Feel free to browse around the rest of the articles, too.

I do recommend the Martin Harris demo. Martin is one of the lead developers and he usually focuses on the sweetest spots in a new release from Yamaha. Montage players should smile in a few places along the way.

All the best -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

It's not replacing the Montage. This is the new top of the line arranger keyboard from Yamaha.

Unfortunately, none of the online dealers I've spoken with can explain its stellar price tag. I even tried contacting Yamaha but their online chat service wouldn't connect. And calling them directly... well forget that. :rolleyes:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Because I'm a simple-minded guitar/bass kinda dude, can someone clarify the difference between the Genos and the Montage? I thought the Montage was the new be-all, end-all, and now this thing comes along. Are they for different applications? Is this the new top o' the line, replacing the Montage? The Montage is expensive enough, and yet this one's even more. What's this thing bring to the table that the Montage ain't already got (aside from more money for fewer keys, vis a vis the Montage 88)?

Grey

Hi Grey --

Short story: Genos is targeted for one market segment and the Montage is targeted for another. Montage is what Yamaha thinks is a synthesizer and Genos is targeted for stage performers, one man bands, in particular. Home players have adopted the Genos because it is a high-end extension of the arranger workstation line.

They share a lot of technical DNA including samples and some voices. Features like voice editing, sequencing and so forth are segment-specific (in Yamaha's view). Quality is high at the top of both product lines.

Choice of Montage vs. Genos comes down to musical goals. What does a player need for performance? The studio? ...

Hope this short answer helps -- pj

It's not replacing the Montage. This is the new top of the line arranger keyboard from Yamaha.

Unfortunately, none of the online dealers I've spoken with can explain its stellar price tag. I even tried contacting Yamaha but their online chat service wouldn't connect. And calling them directly... well forget that. :rolleyes:

You and I and the rest of the keyboard community call it an arranger.

Mr Harris called it a work station. I think the Yamaha promotion blurbs also did the same.

Bah. details. ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Yamaha Genos USA pricing

Hi --

Thanks for re-posting that from my web site. :-)

I wrote up some initial opinions, specs, etc. at:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-genesis/

Feel free to browse around the rest of the articles, too.

I do recommend the Martin Harris demo. Martin is one of the lead developers and he usually focuses on the sweetest spots in a new release from Yamaha. Montage players should smile in a few places along the way.

All the best -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

That quote came from a hit from a google search on "price", it was stand alone..

Had I known it was your website I would have given credit to you , I was in no way claiming I divined that price.

Since there is very LITTLE right now on the board info is dribbling in .

Having said that, I appreciate your work in providing more information on this board. I have an S970 and its just the cats meow. But over 5K for an arranger at this point is outside my sandbox.

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Please explain the price tag as well. :laugh:

If ya gotta ask, you cant afford it.... :laugh:

Maybe to recoup all the R&D they put into it, but whats different than the Tyros or even that matter the S series arrangers, it seems to have very similar controls to my S970, but in no way the arrangements or phrases.

SpaceStation V3,

For a lot of traditional style home players, the arranger replaced the home organ. The home organ market is nearly nonexistent. As well these are popular with OMBs. The price of the Genos is right inline with the Tyros it replaces. The 61-key Tyros is $5300 vs. $5500 for the 76-key Genos.

Busch.

I've seen the "why is it so expensive?" question here and on other forums... going back to the original Tyros. So far nobody seems to have an answer. Speculation can only go so far.

I'd just like to hear a Yammy sales rep or technician explain what's what and the justifcation of the price. :idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I've seen the "why is it so expensive?" question here and on other forums... going back to the original Tyros. So far nobody seems to have an answer. Speculation can only go so far.

I'd just like to hear a Yammy sales rep or technician explain what's what and the justifcation of the price. :idk

:) . I question if a sales rep or a tech person could or would explain it. Likely a suit or a management type would have the pertinent facts. We could make a wild guess about factory cost.

But Strategy and sales forecasts play into MSRP and eventual street price. Good chance they won't explain it to you completely.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

If you're looking for a bottoms up explanation, i.e. the parts cost X, good luck. The only explanation is that history has shown Yamaha that enough people are willing to pay this price for this type of product. If that weren't the case, and no one was willing to pay the price, obviously Yamaha would either lower the price or stop making it. The bottoms up explanation is simplistic and doesn't reflect market reality. Why are people willing to spend more for Apple products? The reason is much more than a simple bottoms up calculation.

Busch.

The price of the Tyros-- and presumably of the Genos-- seems to be related to how much bang it has in the way of voices, such as how many voices it has of each type (such as Super Articulation, Cool, Sweet, etc.), as well as things like the number of voice parts (such as the inclusion of a Right 3 part), the ability to select Registrations and Registration Banks via remote MIDI (not available on any of the PSR-S models), etc. If you look at the prices of the PSR-S models, what is it about the PSR-S970 that makes it more expensive than the PSR-S770? If they have similar basic specs, the differences between them seem to boil down to how many voices and styles they have.

EDIT: I forgot to say, the specs for the Genos mention that it uses AEM technology-- whatever that is-- in addition to AWM technology. Also, it has an aftertouch keyboard, a touch screen, and lots more new panel controls, among other things, so that all must count a good bit toward its price. But, yeah, it's way out of my ball park, so I can totally commiserate over the price!

Michael Rideout

pjd,

I confess that your explanation seems to fall into the distinction without a difference category. Arranger? Workstation? Synth? Keyboard? I'm not fussing at you, it's just that...the objective is to make music, so...you make music.

I looked at a Youtube vid about Rick Wakeman's gear. He's got two Korgs, two Rolands, two Moogs, one Yamaha Montage. No Tyros. If the Genos/Tyros is targeted at performance, I'd assume he'd go that route. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I remember seeing all that many Tyros critters out there on the road with anyone.

It's as though the Gibson Les Paul was considered a "studio" guitar (it's not) and the SG a "stage" guitar (it's not either). People play them at home, on stage, wherever they want. There's no artificial distinction between them in terms of category. Same for basses. I don't claim expertise in the percussion realm, but I'm not aware of studio/home/stage drums...they're all just...drums.

Maybe I really did take a wrong turn when I ended up in keyboard land. This is pretty weird, at least to me.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Grey, the Genos/Tyros are arrangers, meaning that they are suitable for "one-man band" setups. You pick a style, you pick a tempo, you play a chord and the band falls in behind you.

The distinction between arrangers and workstations is that the arrangers come with "canned backing patterns" that follow the player. A workstation is a "build it yourself" model.

Your analogy to guitars or basses falls flat because there's no equivalent to an arranger keyboard in the fretted world. If you had a self-playing Les Paul, you'd be in the same ball park.

I don't think anyone has ever given a satisfactory definition of the different terms. Shoot, a ROMpler is just a type of synth, isn't it, so why does one ROMpler wear the name "PSR-S" and get called a "keyboard," while another ROMpler wears the name "MOXF" and gets called a "synth"? I guess that boils down to things like the panel controls and what you can do with them? Anyway, there seems to be a lot of blurring of categories, and it's never been very clear whether certain categories are separate from others, or intersecting with them, or subsets of them. An arranger seems to be a keyboard that has a particular focus on playing styles or auto-accompaniments, including the number of styles, number of style variations, and number of panel controls for triggering the different parts of a style (intro, main, fill in, break, ending); whereas a synth doesn't have styles in that sense. A workstation seems to be a keyboard that has a particular focus on built-in recording and mixing capabilities, and maybe also on interfacing easily with the manufacturer's preferred DAW (in the case of Yamaha that would be Cubase). So the "workstation" category could overlap with both "arranger" and "synth" categories. But I don't create these terms, I just pretend to half understand them-- which of course means that I half misunderstand them! or maybe it's 40-60, or 60-40?
Michael Rideout

Why the hell would anyone want a self-playing Les Paul? That kinda defeats the purpose of "playing" music--you'd lose the human element. Yes, I'm fully aware that people do exactly that with keyboards, and it's sterile. Yuk. We're already surrounded by plastic music; don't need more, thank you very much.

Or as someone here's signature says, "Pressing play ain't playing." Or words to that effect.

I think I'm in the 90% misunderstanding category, perhaps 100%.

Full disclosure: I may have to program one of my devices and "press play," but only because I can conceive keyboard parts that are currently beyond my ability to play. BUT...the whole thing disgusts me on a moral level, so I keep trying to find the time to practice so that I can actually learn to play what I hear in my head. Given that I'm up to my butt in alligators, getting the time is a booger, but in my favor is the fact that I don't mind the "P-word." To me, practice is not drudgery as long as I'm playing something that I want to play.

Grey

pjd,

I looked at a Youtube vid about Rick Wakeman's gear. He's got two Korgs, two Rolands, two Moogs, one Yamaha Montage. No Tyros. If the Genos/Tyros is targeted at performance, I'd assume he'd go that route...

LOL...Wakeman is guilty with the excessive number of keys on stage, but adding a Genos to his herd isn't something even Rick would get carried away with...forbide the day when arranger boards hit the senior prog circuit. :cop:

I once read somewhere that Yamaha usually releases their latest high-end sample playback/articulation technology in their high-end arranger and Electone lines (sold only to Asia/Latin America) first. That tech later trickles down to the workstation products (eg. MOTIF).

Same source stated that to Yamaha, the high-end arrangers and Electone are considered higher end than the workstation keyboards so tha pricing is set to match.. In addition, I think they do it because the market is willing to pay it. If nobody was willing to pay, those product lines would have died already, or dropped in price.

Apparently they're still following this pattern.