Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2881635 - 09/26/17 06:07 AM Anything I should know before buying a volume pedal?
Chewbubba Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Arkansas
I've looked at a few. No need for midi in/out anymore, just wanted a solid pedal. I've been controlling my fade ins/outs with the volume knob on my bass, but would rather control it with a pedal so I can tune/detune during a set.

BP Island
#2881686 - 09/26/17 09:58 AM Re: Anything I should know before buying a volume pedal? [Re: Chewbubba]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
As always, try it before you buy it, if possible. Make sure you're comfortable with it's sweep/feel. Try not to get a plastic one. I had (well, still have) a Boss pedal that is plastic, and while sturdy, not as good as a metal one (such as an Ernie Ball VP). It will slightly drift when I take I foot off of it.

As to the tuning thing, I prefer to use a tuner pedal that is also a mute, rather than a volume pedal; but you do what works for you.

#2881699 - 09/26/17 10:33 AM Re: Anything I should know before buying a volume pedal? [Re: Danzilla]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
Originally Posted By: Danzilla
As always, try it before you buy it, if possible.

Two ways to do this that I know of:
1) A local retailer who is well stocked with pedals, so you can try them there;
2) An online store with a generous return policy.

#2881974 - 09/27/17 07:30 PM Re: Anything I should know before buying a volume pedal? [Re: jcadmus]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
I have a volume pedal with a multi-effects box attached to it. I don't use it on bass, but I use it on guitar all the time. Do you have anything else on the floor that could easily be replaced with another unit? If so, I'd consider using this purchase as a way to simplify the setup.

#2882010 - 09/28/17 03:28 AM Re: Anything I should know before buying a volume pedal? [Re: Paul K]
Flemtone Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Mine Hill, NJ
I've got an old Morley volume pedal that I haven't used in a hundred years. I used it for the same purpose as you. It worked great but was a plug-in (no battery). That made it inconvenient at a lot of gigs where plugs were at a premium. It was also a source of lots of lip-shock (polarity differences) since it was made before the days of polarized plugs (one large prong, one smaller).

It's a beast, though. Takes a real beating and still worked like a dream. No buzz, no noise, just a smooth gain/loss movement. I'd say look seriously at the newer Morley volume pedals.

The one I have is like this one:

#2882286 - 09/29/17 06:18 AM Re: Anything I should know before buying a volume pedal? [Re: Flemtone]
Chewbubba Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Arkansas
A friend of mine has a Morley for his guitar that he loves. It's optical, so no pot inside. However, it has mediocre reviews, so I've hesitated pulling the trigger.

The only other things I have on the floor are a chromatic tuner and the sansamp (which I'm currently not using, carrying around my MarkBass toys instead).

I have considered just building a small wooden pedal board sized to fit a volume pedal, sansamp, and tuner, so I'm not terribly worried about that.

#2882359 - 09/29/17 10:03 AM Re: Anything I should know before buying a volume pedal? [Re: Flemtone]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
Originally Posted By: Flemtone
I've got an old Morley volume pedal that I haven't used in a hundred years. I used it for the same purpose as you. It worked great but was a plug-in (no battery). That made it inconvenient at a lot of gigs where plugs were at a premium. It was also a source of lots of lip-shock (polarity differences) since it was made before the days of polarized plugs (one large prong, one smaller).

It's a beast, though. Takes a real beating and still worked like a dream. No buzz, no noise, just a smooth gain/loss movement. I'd say look seriously at the newer Morley volume pedals.

The one I have is like this one:

Those things are built like a tank -- you could bust a windshield with one of those.

#2882594 - 09/30/17 10:49 PM Re: Anything I should know before buying a volume pedal? [Re: jcadmus]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I would think the criteria for bass would be the same as for a full-range instrument like pedal steel, meaning you are best off with non-opto models like the ones from Hilton, which I finally spent the dough on last year for guitar work (I never use volume pedals on bass).

I had a Morley wah and bass wah years ago and found them unreliable and dirty, even with minor changes to level. Maybe they've cleaned up their act since then.

Hilton is an investment for sure, but one that'll last a lifetime. They now make two basic models, oriented roughly towards those who stand vs. those who sit, but I bought the regular edition and find it comfortable both ways.