Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2882100 - 09/28/17 09:12 AM never mind . . .
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
. . .

Edited by Winston Psmith (09/28/17 12:03 PM)

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

GP Island
#2882185 - 09/28/17 02:44 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Consider it forgotten. wink
Whitefang

#2882190 - 09/28/17 02:53 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I read this, then drank a mind eraser, and for the life of me, can't recall what this thread was about. Right after the nice bartender showed me his new pen, I experienced some kind of blackout...

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (09/28/17 02:57 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2882196 - 09/28/17 03:38 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
snax

#2882199 - 09/28/17 03:59 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Larryz]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Oh oh...here we go again.
My Pics

#2882289 - 09/29/17 06:36 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: A String]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: A String
Oh oh...here we go again.

No worries, A String, it just seemed like a post no one was interested in, so I took it down . . .

#2882321 - 09/29/17 08:02 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Hard to say what "no one was interested in" at this point.
idk
There is a delete option

#2882333 - 09/29/17 08:31 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
Hard to say what "no one was interested in" at this point.
idk
There is a delete option

@d - For some reason, the Delete option was no longer available, when I changed the post? Oddly, I've gotten more responses since I changed the post, so that should tell you how uninteresting the OP was . . .

#2882340 - 09/29/17 09:01 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I guess delete's eliminated after any initial viewing....
So what was the OP ?

BTW & FWIW, this may be a great mkting technique !

#2882413 - 09/29/17 03:30 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
Well, I guess delete's eliminated after any initial viewing....
So what was the OP ?

Nothing worth the effort to re-post, obviously . . . I'll keep that in mind before I bother posting anything in the future, as well.

#2882487 - 09/30/17 08:16 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, you keep us all from learning anything there.
While you might think it pointless to re-post, I think the negation of the opportunity to know is what's pointless.

#2882617 - 10/01/17 06:21 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: d]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
I found it hard, it was hard to find. Oh well, whatever.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2882630 - 10/01/17 07:42 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Bottom End]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In short, I was ranting about how the Guitar is changing, but Guitarists aren't. It was meant as a response to the "Is The Guitar Over?" discussion. The age of the Guitar Hero may be over, but that doesn't mean the poor thing should be back-benched as a support box for singers, or left hanging around as a relic of the past.

A Martin Flat-top is pretty much the same Instrument it was 100 years ago. Bring Buddy Holly back from the dead, and hand him a brand-new Strat, and he's right at home. I see more energy, production, and marketing devoted to re-creating the past than imagining a future. (FWIW, those "Instruments of the Future" are mostly Guitar-shaped MIDI Controllers: Much of that tech has been around since the 1990's.)

If the Guitar is dying, it's in large part because Guitarists aren't allowing, or encouraging it to evolve. Nostalgia takes precedence over innovation, or so it appears. Eastwood is making bank re-producing old designs, Supro Guitars and Amps are back, while Boss is issuing a collector's box of their original 40-year-old pedal line. (It's around $900, IIRC?) I can't imagine anyone getting excited over re-introducing B&W television, by comparison.

I have to wonder how many players are exploring anything other than a straight-up 6-string, or 12-string? Why not MIDI Guitars, Microtonal necks, maybe a Fretless, or anything with more than 6 strings?

Quite some time back, I'd posed the question, "Is it too early to talk about 21st Century Music?" Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring caused an uproar in the Music world, back in 1913. The closest thing we have to that is the Darwinian effort to get tickets for Hamilton.

Maybe I'd feel differently, if I were into a more traditional form of Music: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", that sort of thing. I'm not saying that the 6-string Guitar has reached the limit of what it can do, but I am saying that the idea of what a Guitar is, and does, has to expand, or it will go the way of the Harpsichord, as Scott suggested.

Edited by Winston Psmith (10/01/17 07:43 AM)

#2882658 - 10/01/17 11:20 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I know I'm still stuck in the past as that's where the music I love to play, still lives on. My favorite equipment is still a Les Paul straight in to a Fender Tube amp with a little reverb. I like my Strats too LOL!. +1 if Buddy Holly came back, I'm sure he could pick up a Strat and make it sound just like it did back in the day. I'm glad they make lighter amps and guitars than my old LP and my old Twin now that I'm getting old and have to hump them around. I also appreciate locking tuners. But I still prefer 6 strings on a guitar and 57 Humbuckers. So I do resist change. I probably play more on my acoustic guitar. Nothing wrong with having an old Martin, but I appreciate Takamine and Taylor as well. I remember when Japanese guitars were not appreciated and when electric guitars were frowned upon too LOL! It is a walk down memory lane discussion. I know we all have our preferences. I do use a guitar mostly to back up my vocals. I also like spending time learning more and more about playing the old thing LOL! It's still a good topic Brother Winston! thu

Edited by Larryz (10/01/17 11:25 AM)

#2882682 - 10/01/17 02:39 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Guitarists certainly have a generally backwards-looking attitude as a group regarding what soundsvthey want to generate. But to be fair, that is in no small way a natural reaction to the realities of the free market for music.

Despite all the innovative guitar tech out there- see the "cool pedals" & "wired guitars" threads- the modern music market hasn't supported much tonal innovation from string-slingers. Keyboard players? Yes. Turtableists? Tes. Instruments like the ReacRable? Yes.

But the guitar? Not many fans out there supporting trailblazing twangers.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/01/17 02:39 PM)

#2882698 - 10/01/17 04:42 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 if Buddy Holly came back, I'm sure he could pick up a Strat and make it sound just like it did back in the day.

Very likely true, Larryz, but I also like to think that if he came back, and someone handed him a Strat that looked just like the one he used to play back in the day, he'd ask, "Haven't you done anything new with it, in 60 years?"

"Well, it has a five-way switch now, instead of a three-way . . . but we did that maybe forty years ago, so . . ."

@Dannyalcatraz - When I see that one of the most Popular acts right now is a dumpy guy who strums a Guitar and sings, I know that innovation isn't what sells. That doesn't mean I'm willing to settle for the status quo. It may be that I have to abandon the Guitar as we know it, to get to what I want to hear. I'm already moving in that direction, as it is.

#2882711 - 10/01/17 06:38 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Buddy might ask that question but I'll bet his fans are going to want to hear Peggy Sue just like it was, For BB it would be The Thrill is Gone, for Chuck it would be Johnny B. Goode, etc. And on the original equipment if possible. I have a love for the icons and what they played back in the day. I do love innovation on the guitar and doing my own new arrangements of old material. The pedals can add a lot too, especially if they were used in the originals...or if they are used to create new sounds. "If it sounds good, it is good"...I forget who's tag line that came from LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (10/01/17 06:57 PM)

#2882722 - 10/01/17 07:32 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
@Dannyalcatraz - When I see that one of the most Popular acts right now is a dumpy guy who strums a Guitar and sings, I know that innovation isn't what sells. That doesn't mean I'm willing to settle for the status quo. It may be that I have to abandon the Guitar as we know it, to get to what I want to hear. I'm already moving in that direction, as it is.

You must follow your muse. To do otherwise is to betray your own creativity. If it leads you away from guitar, so be it. Remember, if theynhadnt changed instruments, we'd be talking about the drumming of Eddie Van Halen and the guitar work of Alex Van Halen.

And we might not be talking about them at all.

I'll say this, though: you, in particular, should keep your eyes peeled for a Moog guitar, just in case one ever tumbles from the heavens and into your budgetary range.

#2882767 - 10/02/17 05:06 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Heh----LOVE that "changing instruments" thing....sure

If not, we'd be listening to John McLaughlin PIANO music, and Pat Metheny blowing his trombone. And somewhere in this is an old Chinese(I think) saying---

"To deny the past robs the present. To DWELL on the past, robs the FUTURE.".....or something like that.... or,

"If you don't know where you're coming from, you won't know where you're GOING."

It's sorta like when I got into photography. It was at a time when you could buy cameras that did everything FOR you...just set it on "A" and click the shutter button and it instantly set the exposure and shutter speed. But I didn't get any REAL enjoyment out of photography until I learned HOW to do all of that MANUALLY. Without any "auto" settings. It's largely why I never got into getting a DIGITAL camera.

Who knows? Someday they might come out with a guitar in which you insert something the size of a memory card in and "poof!" you get the effect you want. OR which "alternate tuning" you wish to use. No more plugging in and fiddling with a variety of pedals and boxes to get what you want to sound like or meticuously twisting and turning tuning keys to change to DADGAD or whatever. And would that make it BETTER for you? Just because it's NEW and considered the FUTURE? Or would it take away some aspects of what you find enjoyable about being a guitar player......like SOME sense of accomplishment?
Whitefang

#2882781 - 10/02/17 06:57 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Who knows? Someday they might come out with a guitar in which you insert something the size of a memory card in and "poof!" you get the effect you want. OR which "alternate tuning" you wish to use. No more plugging in and fiddling with a variety of pedals and boxes to get what you want to sound like or meticuously twisting and turning tuning keys to change to DADGAD or whatever. And would that make it BETTER for you? Just because it's NEW and considered the FUTURE? Or would it take away some aspects of what you find enjoyable about being a guitar player......like SOME sense of accomplishment?
Whitefang

@Whitefang - much of what you describe already exists. There are Electric Guitars that let you change tunings at the turn of a knob, and way back in the mid-70's a company named Electra (IIRC) made a Guitar that had insertable effects modules that plugged right into the Guitar: Someone else made a Guitar with a bunch of switches for built-in effects. There have been recent Guitar models with USB jacks, for direct-to-computer playing and recording; not a lot of sales on those, though.

I'm not saying that any change is a favorable change - I remember someone trying to make three-octave necks in the 80's, and the spacing on the highest frets was absurd - but something's gotta give, as the old song goes.

I'm also not suggesting that everyone here in the Forum put down whatever you're playing, and run out to get something different just because it's NEW, but I do think that an industry based largely on selling nostalgia is eventually going to collapse when its target market dies off . . . and that may be part of what we're seeing.

Edited by Winston Psmith (10/02/17 07:58 AM)

#2882848 - 10/02/17 09:49 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Line 6 Variax guitars allow you to change tunings without changing strings or string tension via sophisticated technology.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/02/17 10:44 AM)

#2882864 - 10/02/17 10:26 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
The Line 6 Variax guitars allow you to change timings without changing strings or string tension via sophisticated technology.

tunings?

The VG Strat, too...

and Morpheus has some pedals that change pitch... I suspect changing tunings might come from them in the future.

#2882869 - 10/02/17 10:41 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

The Gibson robo tuners go in the opposite direction changing string tension automatically for you in standard and altered tunings. I almost bought an LP with them installed and am so glad I went the other way with a locking tuners model. I do not use altered tunings and that new robotic technology was just in my way LOL! cool

#2882872 - 10/02/17 10:45 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: p90jr]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr
The Line 6 Variax guitars allow you to change timings without changing strings or string tension via sophisticated technology.

tunings?

The VG Strat, too...

and Morpheus has some pedals that change pitch... I suspect changing tunings might come from them in the future.

Yes, "tunings"- typing with just my left hand while eating ramen. smile

Corrected it, thanks!

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (10/02/17 10:46 AM)

#2882891 - 10/02/17 11:52 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: p90jr]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr

tunings?

The VG Strat, too...

Yeah, those are some of the models I was thinking of. Instant Banjo and Dobro sounds, too, IIRC. Never tried one, myself.

The Roland VG-series Virtual Guitar systems let you create alternate tunings, as well. I recall Joni Mitchell using one to recreate ALL her varied custom tunings, in one box, but that was an external processor, not an integral part of the Guitar itself.

#2883213 - 10/03/17 07:36 PM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Larryz
"If it sounds good, it is good"...I forget who's tag line that came from LOL! cool

Found that tag line, it's DBM's ! thu

#2883305 - 10/04/17 11:30 AM Re: never mind . . . [Re: Larryz]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Sometimes you just need to take your guitar(s), effects, and a few mics into a studio; lock the doors; press "record" and see what develops. Kind of like Randy McStine did here:
Anachronism

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose