Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2884535 - 10/11/17 08:41 PM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: matted stump]
Bill Spencer Offline

Loc: Northern California
Yes, you could use U/D for one 'board and L/R for the other, or if you don't need independent control, connect both 'boards to the U/D jacks and control them both with one axis.

I'm not sure about the FC-7 but the specs for the 4E say 20° of travel for each axis.

Edited by Bill Spencer (10/11/17 09:09 PM)

KC Island
#2884549 - 10/11/17 09:47 PM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: Bill Spencer]
OB Grave Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Diego CA, US
Wow, that sounds pretty impressive except for the throw. The FC7 has 30 degrees of throw. I've never used a pedal with a side-to-side axis, but the FC7 at 30 degrees is about the minimum I'd want to use for expression. I should open one of mine up and see if there's a way to get a dual-gang pot in there.

#2884562 - 10/12/17 03:51 AM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: Bill Spencer]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Bill Spencer

This is a really well designed, engineered, and built pedal. Very solid and smooth with great throw length and controllability. There are switches to flip polarity, convert to a "TS" type pedal, even switch two of the pots to 10K. Not cheap, at $269, but wow, just wow.

Hey cool - thanks Bill. Captured in spreadsheet based on your info. I don't have FB so let me know if corrections are needed.

#2884563 - 10/12/17 03:58 AM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: OB Grave]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: OB Grave
I should open one of mine up and see if there's a way to get a dual-gang pot in there.

Pretty tight but maybe? Finding the right pot is the tricky part.

#2884599 - 10/12/17 07:45 AM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: Bill Spencer]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: Bill Spencer

This DUAL AXIS pedal features 2 SETS (4 total) 25k pots.
There are switches ..., even switch two of the pots to 10K.

I wonder why not possible for all FOUR pots,- and are the pots linear or logarithmic/ audio taper ?

For most keyboards, except those using Yamaha FC-7 (50K), we need 10K linear !

A.C.

#2884618 - 10/12/17 08:58 AM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: Al Coda]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ah, just noticed the links to the specs. And they have another variation of this pedal that also has a dual I/O volume function
in the M440 model:

#2884632 - 10/12/17 10:02 AM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: DarkyLord]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: DarkyLord
Ah, just noticed the links to the specs. And they have another variation of this pedal that also has a dual I/O volume function
in the M440 model:

Up Down volume only potentiometer resistance 500k.

Panning potentiometer resistance 500k.

Up Down expression resistance is 50k linear

For sure the "PAN"-pot is for placement into the audio path of a given rig,- the 50K pot might be usable for expression or any MIDI CC like a Yammi FC7 pedal, but w/ limited throw (20°).

The other pedal mentioned above at least offers 1 pot for 10K expression when being switched to that value,- but IMO and for the price, itīs not very satisfying for a keyboardplayer when the demand is replacing 2 10K lin expression pedals by only ONE multi-functional pedal unit.

A.C.

#2884636 - 10/12/17 10:27 AM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: Al Coda]
matted stump Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Al Coda

The other pedal mentioned above at least offers 1 pot for 10K expression when being switched to that value,- but IMO and for the price, itīs not very satisfying for a keyboardplayer when the demand is replacing 2 10K lin expression pedals by only ONE multi-functional pedal unit.

A.C.

I read that differently - "Potentiometers resistance 25k Linear. Switchable to 10k on U/D1 and L/R1." Seems you can get 10K on both axes.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2884667 - 10/12/17 03:01 PM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: Al Coda]
Bill Spencer Offline

Originally Posted By: Al Coda

I wonder why not possible for all FOUR pots,- and are the pots linear or logarithmic/ audio taper ?

For most keyboards, except those using Yamaha FC-7 (50K), we need 10K linear !

A.C.

Pots are all linear, for use with pedal inputs. The other pedal they offer has Log taper pots for use with audio signals.

I tried it with my Kurx PC3K and, although the specs say it wants to see 10k, it works great on the 25k setting, too.

#2884668 - 10/12/17 03:06 PM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: Bill Spencer]
Bill Spencer Offline

Today I added USB MIDI to one of my new 4E pedals. Amazing.

Installed LIVID's "Brain Jr." board. $50, fits like it was made for it. For use with MainStage, and still leaves one set of jacks to use. WHEEE!!

#2884669 - 10/12/17 03:11 PM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: matted stump]
Bill Spencer Offline

Originally Posted By: matted stump

I read that differently - "Potentiometers resistance 25k Linear. Switchable to 10k on U/D1 and L/R1." Seems you can get 10K on both axes.

Yep- one SET of pots can be switched to 10k.

Edited by Bill Spencer (10/12/17 03:11 PM)

#2884727 - 10/12/17 09:40 PM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: DarkyLord]
OB Grave Offline
Gold Member

I should open one of mine up and see if there's a way to get a dual-gang pot in there.

Aw man, that cavity was made for a dual-gang pot. I think it'll just fit. Ok, ima have to dissect one of mine and go pot shopping. Stay tuned...

#2884734 - 10/12/17 11:57 PM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: OB Grave]
Bill Spencer Offline

Aw man, that cavity was made for a dual-gang pot. I think it'll just fit. Ok, ima have to dissect one of mine and go pot shopping. Stay tuned...

It will fit. GO FOR IT!

#2884745 - 10/13/17 04:18 AM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: Bill Spencer]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK - my bad! But shame on you guys for trusting my ability to use Google facepalm . Here's another pic of the same pedal:

Not sure which pedal this is - but it's not an FC-7. I've reversed polarity on several of my FC-7s and my recollection is that it would be difficult to change out the pot, but I could be wrong. Thought I had pics of my rework but I guess not - my apologies.

Btw Bill that little midi usb board you added is really cool - nice job twothumbs . I may just find a use for one of those in the future.

Edited by DarkyLord (10/13/17 04:25 AM)

#2884763 - 10/13/17 06:45 AM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: DarkyLord]
Bill Spencer Offline

#2885073 - 10/14/17 07:02 PM Re: Expression Pedal Summary [Re: DarkyLord]
OB Grave Offline
Gold Member

Not sure which pedal this is - but it's not an FC-7.

Hahahah, you're right. It's not an FC-7. I discovered this when I opened my my FC-7. It looks completely different inside.

It's actually kind of a beautifully designed pedal. The FC-7 doesn't use a gear, instead there's a spring-loaded cam, and there's this whole other crazy thing in there to give the pedal some friction. The pot is an Alps but 116G doesn't appear to be a standard Alps part number, and going through the catalog I don't see anything exactly like it. Alps appears to only be distributed by Mouser in the US and I didn't find it there either. I am guessing this is a special pot made for Yamaha.

However, I took some measurements with a caliper and found an Alps mechanical drawing for a very similar pot - I am guessing the mechanical components are used for the special Yamaha pot - and using that drawing I did find three potential candidates that all have the same approximate shaft length and type. All 10k linear dual-gang pots, one Alps, one Bourns, and one Taiwan Alpha. I need to order up some other stuff anyway so I'll throw these on the order and see what I can make any of 'em work when they arrive.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner