Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Legend Live Love Letter

Just got my Legend Live on Friday!

I LOVE THIS BOARD!

It truly is the closest thing so far to the real thing....

Raw sound is glorious, I havent even used slow as my default .... which I realized that Ive done with EVERY OTHER clone, including the Mojo...

Speaking of which, Chorale is truly stunning, just right. And C/V is spot on on all 3 models.

I cant believe how realistic and spacious Fastis... I found myself looking around for the spinning horn! (Im playing this through a Motion Sound KP 500S)

Action: It took me a minute as (to my taste) it plays supertight (stiff) but I think that that may ease up over time... (A friend had his tech switch out the springs so it plays lighter and he is in heaven,) Upon reflection, I could get used to it really quickly, and I think I will!)

To compare: Mojo seems to be the best of the clones here, Nord is springier, Hammond SK is floppy, X3-2 is almost too light....but I do like it when I am feeling lazy or if I had arthritis I would use one!

Controls are super clean and tight, drawbars included. My only gripe is that CV knob is a bit to close to the first set of drawbars for my taste, but again, not a big deal and Ill get used to it.

Pedal to lower is great until I get my sticks... To my ear, its a little too bloomy around low A-flat, but Im sure that will get fixed in a firmware update.

The 3 models are all superb. Im partial to the 50s for now.

I cant wait to hook this baby up to a Leslie.

Weight and portability: I think they made a mistake in estimating actual weight... it seems less than 35 lbs to me! Super easy and light. Its a bit wider than Hammond, Nord and even Mojo, but not as much as X3-2.

I had to return my Mojo due to build quality issues, and I know could have replaced it easily, but my gut said hold out and I,m GLAD I did!

(I dont want to throw shade at Guido and Andrea because they have an excellent board, but that was my experience...)

At this price point, they can slay EVERYONE.... I also want to give props to Kraft Music and my salespersn Michael (Briggs) Brigham. First time Ive bought from them and they were great. My UPS experience here in NYC was NOT great, but thats. another story.

All in all, Im ecstatic....!

Thanks to Viscount and Pat Bianchi!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I absolutely love my Legend Live also. Playing it is fantastic.

However, I am waiting for my third Legend Live to be sent to me in early October.

They are not packed well enough for UPS Ground shipping!

The first one that arrived had a loose part moving around inside. Probably a screw, but I would have voided the warranty to open it up and self-repair it on a new in box product, so Kraft said they would exchange it, which they did! Paid the shipping back, etc.

My second Legend Live came in with a big dent in the front and it looked like it was re-packed by UPS. The covering was re-taped and the box was dented.

They will send me a third one next week. They are going to pack it in an additional box for me this time for reinforcement.

I bought mine from Kraft because of their return policy for these types of issues. The other boutique dealer had an "all sales final" policy and I had not had a chance to try it beforehand.

The instrument itself is superb to play!!!

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Jeff-

Sorry to hear of your woes!

I think doulble boxing should solve your woes.....

I had that problem with the Mojo....

The Italians need to invest in better packing....

Sweetwater nedds to carry the Legend/Legend Live and all Viscount products!

They double box as a default!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

To compare: Mojo seems to be the best of the clones here, Nord is springier, Hammond SK is floppy, X3-2 is almost too light....but I do like it when I am feeling lazy or if I had arthritis I would use one!
Congratulations, Jim! Per chance, are you able to compare the Legend Live's action with that of the XK3/XK3c?
Dennis

Would the Viscount Legend Solo provide the same tonewheel and rotary sound for someone who just needed a single manual clone? From what I can gather, they all use the same tonewheel and rotary technology.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

OMG ( which is the popular parlance) I have also been thinking of writing about my recent acquisition.

Had the Live for about two weeks and opted for the stand.

It is by far the best experience I have had with a clone.

I have had the Mojo twice and think it is top notch. However, I always thought that it was something of a prototype.

I have not compared it to the vent as I am happy with the Leslie as is.

I really cannot imagine a better board for my needs.

Hi Jimkost 2002,

I took delivery of a Legend Live mid July but if I had not, then your review would have probably swayed me into getting one.

I'm still not sure if I should have gone for the larger Legend model but I have seen a lot of pro players (which I'm not) opting for the smaller Legend Live version.

If I may, can I add one name to the list of people you thank in your first post. That of Elvio Previati who without his vision there would be no Key B organs. I have never had the pleasure of meeting him, but we have spoke on the phone three or four times. He's a proper nice guy, speaks excellent English, and totally deserves credit (along with Viscount's production and distribution skills) for bringing these organs to the public.

Chris

I was one of the first or first to get a legend Live from Kraft, back in May. I have the same sentiments. This is the best rig Ive used so far. I have ended up using a 142 leslie via 1122 H/S interface. I also use a Tall and fat through the effects loop. I know its a bit of a hassle lugging a leslie , but this rig is actually the easiest and quickest setup Ive had in a long time. Literally 4-5 min setup. I was using an sk2 or xk33c , I also have a 63 B3. The sound, feel , interface is exactly what I was looking for. Is it perfect....no, but its pretty damn good.

I also was on the fence about full size, Im glad I went Live, its deceivingly bigger than it looks. In its soft case, its deep, you have to hold it higher than normal to not ding it on the ground when carrying ( Im 5'10' ). The Live sounds exactly the same , just not as wide, without presets or rocker tabs. It took me 5 seconds to get used to the push buttons instead of the rockers. I rarely use presets, but the live does have 2 per manual and 2 sets of bars, plenty enough for me.

Im not sure about solo, Im assuming its all the same but I did hear the drawbars are plastic instead of metal...?? If I was looking for a single manual, I think I would go for the mojo 61 with the extra sounds , but for straight out organ , I think they are close. For me, the dual manual layout of the Legend Live is what I wanted .

Keys feel good , not as clunky / springy as sk2, feel better than the xk3c , not as light as a Mojo/61 . Legend is good and have softened up over time. It's really starting to feel close to my rejuvenated B3 action.

The thing I really like is what you see is what you get , switch it on , adjust cpl of things realtime and off you go. No deep editing , no menus , just play. Some of you may not like that you cant do serious editing. It really dosn't need it but like I said, its not perfect either.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I received a new Viscount Legend Solo a week ago. I ordered it with a padded gig bag, and it arrived promptly, well packed and factory fresh.

It sounds, feels, and looks great, and the build quality appears to be very good. It has an internal power supply (not a wall wart) and weighs only 9.5 kg / 21 lb but feels solid. I believe all the Legend models are essentially the same soundwise.

The action is a tad stiffer than my Hammond XK1c but feels fine. The percussion and chorus vibrato are very good. The Legend is not as tweakable as the Hammond but sounds fine out of the box and has useful control knobs for reverb, overdrive, keyclick, crosstalk, bass/mid/treble, percussion level & decay. It also has three settings for organ type: '30s, '50/60s ("jazz"), and '70s ("rock"), each with a slightly different character.

It has two sets of manual drawbars (plus two pedal drawbars) and eight preset buttons. In Single mode, the whole keyboard can use both drawbar sets and four of the preset buttons. In Split mode, the keyboard is split between upper and lower voices, which get one drawbar set and four preset buttons each. There is also a Double mode for using an external keyboard.

I have been using a Ventilator and wondered whether I would need it with the Legend. The Legend's Leslie sounds very good but is not adjustable beyond "Classic" and "Rock" settings, and I will probably continue to use the Ventilator for now. I hope the Legend may have options added in a future firmware update for Leslie front stop and slightly faster ramp up/down times on the bass rotor, and for slightly smoother overdrive onset, but overall it is very good as is.

I tried a Legend Solo two weeks ago and bought it right away. I've still got my SK-1, I use the extra sounds a lot and it sounds great, but for pure Hammond the Legend is killer. I have a Mojo too (slut, indeed) and would probably have checked the one manual Mojo first if it only had more drawbars - I need two sets..!

billbosco, the sound of the Legend Live is UNREAL through the MS KP 500-S!

Best non-leslie solution...although, I have heard Pat Bianchi play his through 2 Sonovox Duos and sound great, too!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Elmer, I have not tried to gig with it yet, but I have carried it in the bag. I would echo Andys comments that you have to hold it higher than normal to the ground, but otherwise its easy,

Robert Bosch, 1919

Dnsmo, I havent A/Bd the Live with XK3, but they have one at the Sam Ash on 34th st , so I will play that one again and report back

Robert Bosch, 1919

thx Chris, I cant edit my post but will say here that I owe profound thanks and gratitude to the genius of Elvio Previati!

Thank YOU, Maestro Previati, for your beautiful instruments!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Yes there are 2 buttons for each set of drawbars as well as 2 programmable buttons per manual, Dockeys.

Wait,- that´s less than the Legend SOLO offers !

For the Viscount/KeyB SOLO the leaflet advertises:

Drawbars - Upper Preset:

Upper Drawbar Set A or Set B + 4 presets and Upper MIDI Local on/off

Drawbars - Lower Preset: 4 presets

Drawbars - Pedals: 2 drawbars 16' & 8'

The manual v11 also mentions 4 presets each for lower and upper in addition to the set(s) of drawbars.

At least for me that´s important because I was unsure what to order next future.

Having 1 set of drawbars and FOUR presets available for upper and lower, for me is better than 2 sets of drawbars and 2 presets only for upper and lower,- especially in a multi-keyboard rig.

So, I think I´ll try the SOLO.

A.C.

jimkost2002 , i guess you're liking the live through the kp500s,

how is the tone through this amp ? i've been seriously thinking

about investing in one

I can't speak for the Legend. But the Uhl X3 sounds killer through the KP500S. My guess is that the same is true for the Legend. Vibrant full stereo sound in spades. Need more volume? Crank it up. Need even more? Crank it up again... clear loud sound without end... don't forget your ear muffs ;-) I only regret that I didn't buy this amp earlier.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Following up on my story - I received my third Viscount Legend Live from Kraft and everything is perfect. My issues with loose parts inside and a dent in the front of the second unit can be attributed to UPS shipping.

They opened my package up and reinforced it with additional bubble wrap and tape and it arrived very tightly packed and secured. They may do that as a shipping practice going forward on the Legend organs.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I got my Legend Solo yesterday. Thoughts after putting it through its paces...

It arrived undamaged (from Kraft). Build quality is good and solid. Action is stiffer than other clones, but still nice to play. The interface is simple, clean and intuitive; it mimics a console where it can, and where it can't, it's done in a way that makes sense. I like the blue LEDs (which I realize is an odd thing to say; I didn't expect to have an opinion about it one way or the other, but after playing it for a while I realized I found them pleasing). And the sound...

I'm honestly less blown away by the sound than I was hoping to be. It's a definite step up from an Sk1. But the Leslie sim still isn't up to Vent quality. The overdrive still has a hint of digital harshness to it. The key click is surprisingly weak; even Nord's is more realistic. And the C3 chorus isn't quite there to my ears. I don't know, maybe now that I've spent the last year with an A100 and 122 in the house I've finally become (god help me) one of those guys, and am just spoiled for clones...

Verdict: If someone sent one back in time to 2007 and I'd played it then, I'm sure I would have said it was indistinguishable from the real deal and the clone war was over. But since we're fortunate to live in a time when we can be super picky, I'm going to continue to be. It may turn out to be the best gigging clone for me, and if it does I'll be perfectly happy using it. But I'm still gonna keep it in pristine shape and hold onto the shipping box until after I finally get my hands on a Mojo 61 this coming week. (Hey Joe, what kind of beer do you like?)

I finally get my hands on a Mojo 61 this coming week. (Hey Joe, what kind of beer do you like?)
:D I like lots. We have a few places literally down the street from me now, like the one that has a Covhefe Bavarian-style Hefeweizen on tap...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI