Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK...Happy Birthday to...

On we go......

Today, DAVID HOWELL EVANS, AKA THE EDGE, lead guitarist for U-2 turns 56 years old.

Probably not the "greatest" guitar player out there, but clearly far from the worst, his style and musical "personality" surely gave that band it's unmistakable sound. And although I'm not all that much of a fan, the group has done a few I like a lot and The Edge's playing on them certainly makes them worth listening to.

So...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Dave. Hope you get a NEW KNIT CAP! ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Today, it's DAVID CROSBY'S 76th birthday. The walrus faced former Byrd and 1/3 of CS&N probably has some great stories to recall on this day. ;) And although I like ALL the songs on CS&N's debut LP, "Guinnevere" and "Long Time Gone" are two he wrote that were great additions. I even wanted to name my 2nd daughter Guinnevere, but her Moher insisted on the more conventional( and mundane) Jennifer. Of course, I love her tons anyway ;)

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...

So...

ELVIS COSTELLO is 63 today.

I'm kinda on the fence with this guy. Did some stuff I liked, other stuff I couldn't get into, so-so kind of performer.

Always interesting though. So I wish him a happy. ;)

Whitefang

And today, BARRY GIBB, the remaining 1/3 of The Bee Gees is 71.

OK, admit it some of you...

There WAS a time you liked the Bee Gees, wasn't there? ;)

I remember really liking their first U.S. release "New York Mining Disaster 1941" 50 years ago.

But, happy birthday Barry. I know you wish your brothers were still here to help celebrate.

Whitefang

And moving along...

ROGER WATERS is 74 today.

One of the founders of PINK FLOYD, I guess he's still doing some of their old stuff, but amid a lot of legal hassles with other remaining members. I don't really undersand the what. It's the WHY I understand less.

It's hard for me to deal with the fact the band goes back 50 YEARS. Guess I'm having "growing old" issues. ;)

Whitefang

And moving along...

ROGER WATERS is 74 today.

One of the founders of PINK FLOYD, I guess he's still doing some of their old stuff, but amid a lot of legal hassles with other remaining members. I don't really undersand the what. It's the WHY I understand less.

Whitefang

They've buried that hatchet. It involved Waters not wanting to work with the others & 'disbanding' the group. The others said "We're not disbanded. You left. We're Pink Floyd." Waters sued, claiming the name couldn't be used if he wasn't in the band. The issue was decided in court in favor of the 3 others, who went on to make 2 (½) post-Waters albums under the Pink Floyd name. They did one reunion concert for Live Aid with all 4 of them many years later, & Gilmour appeared in Waters' tour of The Wall. They've gone separate ways but have at least ended the feud.

Scott Fraser

And now, in fitting with a "guitar player" forum---

JOSE FELICIANO turns 72 today. You know, the guy who plays better blind than a lot of us do with good sight? ;)

Happy birthday, ESE.

Whitefang

Today(9/13) is the 65th birthday of Don Fagenson.

Better known to many as DON WAS, musician, producer and current(I think) president of Blue Note records.

Did pretty good for a Detroit boy.

Whitefang

Feel free D...some guys don't like the combined thread idea for BD's. For the most part all that's needed is a Happy Birthday one liner. I like it this way as we can elaborate at any time and/or start a special thread if we want to about the artist. They are going to have a repeat every 365 days and this way we don't tie up the forum with thousands of Happy Birthdays. I think we get more commentary on the RIP threads on artists we all love and hate to see go away...
Take care, Larryz

The whole idea is to just wish certain people well on the day of their birth. Anyone can say if they like them as artists if they want. and if they don't, well, just don't post anything.

Posting their entire biogaphy and analysis of their complete discography isn't really necessary until an RIP thread sadly happens.

Whitefang

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN today reaches 68 years. I never knew why he was ever called "the boss", as I never really took to using that name for him. But I did like enough of his stuff over the years to wish him a happy. Especially since I'm not that far behind him. :)

Whitefang

MICHAEL LEE ADAY, better known as MEAT LOAF turns 70 today.

Never much cared for the guy's musical efforts, but it isn't what this threads about. And given consideration to the LIFESTYLE this guy's led over the years, I'd say reaching 70 is quite an accomplishment. So, I'll wish him well today.

Whitefang