Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2927353 - 05/16/18 11:24 AM Re: The DeepMind 12... several months later [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I use the Prologue for comping and leads, so the 8 voice is quite adequate. I position it to my right so the smaller size is helpful.

You can program "live sets." Recalling a patch requires 2 button pushes but it works well enough.

The DM keybed is just ok, the Prologue keybed is about as good as it gets for synth action.

The keybed and patch recall are two big reasons why the Prologue is better for performance. Also, I find the panel more intuitive and simple for on stage tweaking. But it's a tradeoff, the DM is deep-deep-deeper.

roccoromanucci.com

KC Island
#2927366 - 05/16/18 12:57 PM Re: The DeepMind 12... several months later [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Originally Posted By: Marzzz

I have not bought one (desktop module does not respond to PolyAT), but I agree about the dark, smooth timbre vs the more harsh/modern sounds I am hearing elsewhere. But if they were to do a Jupiter 8 clone...
Are you suggesting the DM12 key'd version DOES respond to polyAT? I don't believe that's the case. Are there actually any specification differences between the 12 and 12D?

No, but since I have two 76-key controllers that transmit PolyAT, the last thing I need is another keyboard...so I am only interested in desktop or rack modules. I am not aware of any differences between the DM12 versions. BUT, I do know many other synth manufacturers (DSI, Waldorf, Novation, etc.) do implement PolyAT response over MIDI.

Also note that the Juno106 didn't have PolyAT (no AT at all actually?) and only responded to velocity over MIDI. The 60 didn't have AT or MIDI. Both currently cost as much (or double, or triple) as a Deepmind 12 on the used market.

Well, I don't have any interest in vintage gear, so it is not relevant to me. My one foray into owning a vintage analog synth completely cured me of any desire to own one ever again...!

#2927368 - 05/16/18 01:05 PM Re: The DeepMind 12... several months later [Re: Marzzz]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

I have not bought one (desktop module does not respond to PolyAT), but I agree about the dark, smooth timbre vs the more harsh/modern sounds I am hearing elsewhere. But if they were to do a Jupiter 8 clone...
Are you suggesting the DM12 key'd version DOES respond to polyAT? I don't believe that's the case. Are there actually any specification differences between the 12 and 12D?

No, but since I have two 76-key controllers that transmit PolyAT, the last thing I need is another keyboard...so I am only interested in desktop or rack modules. I am not aware of any differences between the DM12 versions. BUT, I do know many other synth manufacturers (DSI, Waldorf, Novation, etc.) do implement PolyAT response over MIDI.

Also note that the Juno106 didn't have PolyAT (no AT at all actually?) and only responded to velocity over MIDI. The 60 didn't have AT or MIDI. Both currently cost as much (or double, or triple) as a Deepmind 12 on the used market.

Well, I don't have any interest in vintage gear, so it is not relevant to me. My one foray into owning a vintage analog synth completely cured me of any desire to own one ever again...!

Ha! Thanks for clarifying. Makes great sense in your situation.

#2927409 - 05/16/18 06:40 PM Re: The DeepMind 12... several months later [Re: Adan]
RichieP_MechE Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Adan
I returned mine after a few weeks. While there was much I liked about it, I decided I wanted something more geared towards performance. The Korg Prologue 49 has been working out very well so far. Of course it costs more than twice as much as the discounted DM12.
The keybed and patch recall are two big reasons why the Prologue is better for performance. Also, I find the panel more intuitive and simple for on stage tweaking. But it's a tradeoff, the DM is deep-deep-deeper.

Thanks for posting this, as you've confirmed the doubts I've been having all along.

I've had my Deepmind for about a year, but I just haven't been able to make it work like I'd hoped. It's incredibly deep and can make some amazing sounds, but as a live performer I'm just not able to connect with it. I am not an experienced synthesist, but I find it much easier to make usable (for me) sounds on my Little Phatty and Berhinger Model D (also realizing that they are mono synths and not polys).

The Prologue definitely caught my attention and your feedback definitely makes it look more attractive. The Prophet Rev2 has also piqued my interest. Looks like my Deepmind might end up in the Garage Sale sooner or later...

#2927410 - 05/16/18 06:48 PM Re: The DeepMind 12... several months later [Re: RichieP_MechE]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: RichieP_MechE
I returned mine after a few weeks. While there was much I liked about it, I decided I wanted something more geared towards performance. The Korg Prologue 49 has been working out very well so far. Of course it costs more than twice as much as the discounted DM12.

Thanks for posting this, as you've confirmed the doubts I've been having all along.

I've had my Deepmind for about a year, but I just haven't been able to make it work like I'd hoped. It's incredibly deep and can make some amazing sounds, but as a live performer I'm just not able to connect with it. I am not an experienced synthesist, but I find it much easier to make usable (for me) sounds on my Little Phatty and Berhinger Model D (also realizing that they are mono synths and not polys).

The Prologue definitely caught my attention and your feedback definitely makes it look more attractive. The Prophet Rev2 has also piqued my interest. Looks like my Deepmind might end up in the Garage Sale sooner or later...

I was looking at the Prophet Rev 2 but I have a soft spot for the OB-6

#2927413 - 05/16/18 07:31 PM Re: The DeepMind 12... several months later [Re: bennyray]
Nathanael_I Offline

The OB-6 is a great synth. It is a personal favorite. It isn't the broadest palette, but it makes "that sound". And the control parameters are brilliantly set up. Every knob makes a difference, and it is almost impossible to make it sound bad. Very tweak able while playing live too.

#2927446 - 05/17/18 05:29 AM Re: The DeepMind 12... several months later [Re: Nathanael_I]
RABid Online   content
10k Club

The INXS thread got me wondering, how close is the Deepmind filter to the Roland filter?

#2927547 - 05/17/18 01:34 PM Re: The DeepMind 12... several months later [Re: RABid]
Iconoclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
As an OB-6 owner, I find it more of a studio queen than a performer. I've been trying to integrate it into one of my rigs but you really gotta want to use it.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner