Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2879352 - 09/14/17 10:38 PM Kurzweil Forte
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lansing, MI
Hey gang.

Just received my Forte 7 from Weisersound. Can't wait to run this baby through it's paces. If you are interested in a Kurzweil, David Weiser is your man. Tell him I sent you and he'll hook you up.

http://www.weisersound.com/

I'm loading in the Vintage Keys set from Purgatory Creek Soundware. They are one of the few sample companies I know that offer a Wurlitzer 140b sample set!

I used the Forte on a gig tonight with Greg Nagy. Tomorrow (Saturday, Sept 14th), I'm performing with Greg at the Michigan Blues Festival with the Forte 7 and my SK2 through a Leslie 3300. The rig sounds killer!

Edited by Jim Alfredson (09/15/17 12:27 AM)

KC Island
#2879365 - 09/15/17 03:54 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
We need a video review ASAP smile

#2879385 - 09/15/17 06:02 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
b3plyr Offline

Agree with Jim - you can't beat Dave Weiser for buying the Forte. And you will get incredible support from him! I have used my Forte for many gigs, mostly in a duo where the pianos are really out front, and am very happy with it. I am also about to get the Purgatory Creek Soundware. Can't wait to hear what Jim thinks. Yes Jim, video please.

#2879392 - 09/15/17 06:25 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: b3plyr]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Jim, You are definitely in good hands with DW, he's the real deal!! The Forte is a beast that slays all styles... sinner on a Saturday night & saint on Sunday mornings. 😉

#2879401 - 09/15/17 07:12 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Grave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Jim Alfredson
Hey gang.

Just received my Forte 7 from Weisersound. Can't wait to run this baby through it's paces. If you are interested in a Kurzweil, David Weiser is your man. Tell him I sent you and he'll hook you up.

http://www.weisersound.com/

I'm loading in the Vintage Keys set from Purgatory Creek Soundware. They are one of the few sample companies I know that offer a Wurlitzer 140b sample set!

I used the Forte on a gig tonight with Greg Nagy. Tomorrow (Saturday, Sept 14th), I'm performing with Greg at the Michigan Blues Festival with the Forte 7 and my SK2 through a Leslie 3300. The rig sounds killer!

dB

rockit ==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Crumar • elysia • Reverb Foundry • Roswell Pro Audio

#2879411 - 09/15/17 07:52 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Grave Bryce]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Good to hear Jim. Hope the VKC works out for you.

Busch.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com

#2879418 - 09/15/17 08:17 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
keyman27 Offline

Loc: United States
I got to hear the Forte 8 in action last night at a gig, one of the rare ones with two keyboardists (Springsteen tribute). The gig was with in-ears, so I heard the Forte loud and clear. Damn it sounded good! I think he used the 7-foot Bright piano most of the night. To me, it was a clear improvement over his previous Kurzweil board. I took a spin on it between sets, and I really liked the action.

#2879433 - 09/15/17 09:17 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: keyman27]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
While I was at Thomann HQ in Germany earlier in the year I tried every keyboard there. It being the biggest keyboard retailer in Europe, there were a lot of boards. The Forte was the one I kept coming back to. There was just something about it...

+1 to the rest, video please Mr.A!

#2879458 - 09/15/17 11:00 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: burningbusch

Busch.

Oustanding job on these, brother. First time I've heard your work on the Kurzweil platform - really well done!

dB

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Crumar • elysia • Reverb Foundry • Roswell Pro Audio

#2879464 - 09/15/17 11:31 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Grave Bryce]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
for Forte users- what is the sampling capability like? I do a lot of 1 shot samples for my Floyd band, and the pads on the FA08 are perfect for this. Is there a way to trigger samples like this on the Forte or do they have to be mapped to keys?
www.echoesrocks.com

#2879485 - 09/15/17 12:48 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DanL]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Originally Posted By: DanL
for Forte users- what is the sampling capability like? I do a lot of 1 shot samples for my Floyd band, and the pads on the FA08 are perfect for this. Is there a way to trigger samples like this on the Forte or do they have to be mapped to keys?

Are you considering the forte because of the freezing FA08 Dan? Can imagine that.

#2879495 - 09/15/17 01:32 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
VId or it didn't happen

#2879513 - 09/15/17 02:58 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Ensenada Guide]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Boston, MA
EXCELLENT!!

Jim + that rig = unstoppable!!!

One of the biggest joys of working in this industry is when one of my favorite players gets their hands on an instrument and presets that I helped create!

Y'all can expect to see some custom Jim Alfredson/THEO signature sounds coming shortly.

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/15/17 03:03 PM)

#2879527 - 09/15/17 04:14 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
churchkeybob Offline

Loc: Michigan,USA
It's 7pm here on the 15th and Jim is playing live stream at https://livestream.com/wkar/bsp-nagy The Forte sounds great. ~BOB

#2879534 - 09/15/17 04:58 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Grave Bryce]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce

Busch.

Oustanding job on these, brother. First time I've heard your work on the Kurzweil platform - really well done!

dB

Thanks Dave, greatly appreciate it!

Busch.

#2879537 - 09/15/17 05:34 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
In fairness I'm mainly hearing the Hammond SK-1, and that really does sound sweet! Great playing.

#2879539 - 09/15/17 05:51 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Marillo]
churchkeybob Offline

Loc: Michigan,USA
Originally Posted By: Marillo
In fairness I'm mainly hearing the Hammond SK-1, and that really does sound sweet! Great playing.

Yes indeed. If you start at the beginning, he opens with the Forte. ~BOB

#2879541 - 09/15/17 06:01 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Marillo]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
How many models of Forte have there been?
I see weight is around 50 lbs which is 5 lbs lighter than pc 88, my go to 88.

How different is action of Forte ( I thought I saw a Forte 2, if true, is Forte 2 the next Forte ) from old PC 88?

How open ended is Forte... like the basses, is there option to add a bass that is not currently in Forte?

#2879543 - 09/15/17 06:07 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
How open ended is Forte... like the basses, is there option to add a bass that is not currently in Forte?

you can load up to 3 GB of your own samples, that's opened ended for sure. thu
Trent Reznor

#2879553 - 09/15/17 07:14 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: davedoerfler]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

you can load up to 3 GB of your own samples, that's opened ended for sure. thu

Yes, and it's flash so once you load them, they're there and no need to reload each time you turn on the unit.

Busch.

#2879563 - 09/15/17 07:38 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Forte is looking more and more promising to me.. replacing my new CP5 and my aged pc 88
But humor me... make believe I am an idiot savant about music versus sampling

I tried, I really did. decades ago, I would ask for help in a GC, about an AKAI this or that, or whatever, and I tell you, I got nowhere.

SO... I want to find options for my favorite sounds to mess with
B3,, Rhodes, and all manner of basses

How do i find them

and how do they find there way into a Forte?

Edited by I-missRichardTee (09/15/17 07:42 PM)

#2879584 - 09/15/17 09:55 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
MP Hall of Fame Member

How do i find them

purchase from Dave Weiser and all will be taken care of... cheers
Trent Reznor

#2879603 - 09/16/17 03:49 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Forte is looking more and more promising to me.. replacing my new CP5 and my aged pc 88
But humor me... make believe I am an idiot savant about music versus sampling

I tried, I really did. decades ago, I would ask for help in a GC, about an AKAI this or that, or whatever, and I tell you, I got nowhere.

How do i find them

Sadly asking GC guys won't get you very far these days.

But there are plenty of really cool online resources available. There's an amazing Forte users group on Facebook with friendly folks who usually answer questions within an hour. There are youtube tutorials, free sound downloads and places like Ksetlist.com, a huge repository of free sounds for Kurz users.

There is a growing number of third party sound sets that can be loaded into the Forte's generous 3GB of user memory. Here are a few examples:
http://www.purgatorycreek.com/page-2/page-3/index.html
http://www.barbandco.com/store/c10/Kurzweil_Forte.html

Also, the on board sounds, esp the ones you mentioned, can be tweaked and mangled significantly by simply moving the sliders. (And the screen kindly shows you what each slider does when it's moved.) I'm happy to answer questions about the factory EPs and basses, I designed many of them.

Forte7 weighs 41 lbs, and that's with a hammer weighted action. The 88 note version weighs 48lbs. (For a point of reference Kronos 73 weighs 46lbs and the 88 weighs 53.)

One nice thing about the Forte - the interface and architecture were designed by musicians, not engineers. Their main software guru was my roommate at Berklee a million years ago - his major was film scoring, not computer science. wink

#2879607 - 09/16/17 04:23 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thank you D Weiser or D Wise man
Just based on some demos and a process of elimination ( my contentious contention that Big 5 are not making keyboards for we old cha cha cha guys who Burning Busch says are just about dead ) I am slowly losing my points of resistance to Why not a Forte 7?

But again, does Forte possess a killer Mono piano the way pc 88 does?

The only other possibilities are Roland 2000 or Yamaha Montage or even super expensive Genos

Having been burned on past purchases - I am slow to pull trigger.
A whole bunch of factors have to coalesce for me to plunk down multi thousands

readily, easy, on the fly ( nice sliders ) control over volume layers
mono pianos
great strings
great basses
And this: The layers and split bass have to sound great together... which is not always the case
This is subtle.. but the merged/ mixed soundscape must be top notch.
Just because individual sounds are good, does not mean the combination of 4 sounds will kick butt.
That is what my JV 1000 and pc 88 did... I think it has to do with the components used before economic down turns entered, into a sound designers world.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (09/16/17 04:25 AM)

#2879625 - 09/16/17 06:36 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RudyS

Are you considering the forte because of the freezing FA08 Dan? Can imagine that.

I've sorta been in the market for a top of the line upgrade to the FA08 for a while. Just window shopping at this point. I've never owned a Kurz before so I started to do some reading on it. Also looking at a Kronos. Both in the 76 key models. I was told the Kronos does the 1 shot sampling from either buttons or the touch screen, so was curious if the Forte offered a similar option.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2879652 - 09/16/17 09:40 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

And this: The layers and split bass have to sound great together... which is not always the case
This is subtle.. but the merged/ mixed soundscape must be top notch.

I totally agree with you. So much so that I decided to make my living at making keyboard patches sound great together. wink

Seriously I'm always shocked when a board only features piano presets that are densely packed with low-mid frequencies - that's the number one reason for sound guys turning us keyboard players down! I've created what I call "gig pianos", piano presets meant to cut through mix without having to be cranked up overly loud, for a few platforms including Forte, PC3/PC3K, Casio PX-5S and Physis.

My UK partner and I do the same thing on Broadway shows, but with many instrument sounds, fitting them into orchestras ranging from 8 to 41 pieces.

Here are a few audio examples of my Forte Gig Piano presets along with my Motown Bass preset (featured in Forte and PC3 factory sets). These are just crap Youtube clips but hopefully they convey the intention.

And here's one with better audio, using my PC3/K Gig Piano, same Motown bass.
https://soundcloud.com/dave-weiser/gig-piano-mix?in=dave-weiser/sets/weisersound-pc3pc3k-gig-pack

The Kurz boards sum to mono very gracefully. I've used them on a gazillion gigs: Blues, funk/R&B, country and a cheeky Faces Tribute called The Rods. I'm sure there are some folks here who can testify to the mono goodness.

The PC3/K can trigger notes/samples from buttons and sw pedals. I believe the Forte can do the same - I'll double check with my buddies in their software dept.

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/16/17 09:51 AM)

#2879689 - 09/16/17 03:26 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
scales Offline

Loc: Daphne, AL
Walked into a store to demo Nord piano 3 and they had a Forte. I couldn't believe it. It was 4 hours north from where I live. Don't get up there much. Simply amazing machine. And, it was on sale for $2985. And it was an 88 key model. So hard to find those in stores. Asking the same price for the NP-3. I got out of there before GAS completely took over

#2879708 - 09/16/17 07:24 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: scales]
Iconoclast Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Way more capable instrument than the NP-3. For $2985, I don't know how you had the strength to leave without it.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2879713 - 09/16/17 07:35 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Iconoclast]
wd8dky Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicagoland
It's funny; the Forte has been out there since late 2015 (2 years almost), and only now it's feeling loved?

#2879722 - 09/16/17 08:31 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: wd8dky]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Forte software development is similar to the way that PC3 was - several years of not just some bug fixes, but whole new features (and sometimes sounds) added.
Nicest thing - even if one bought a Forte right after first release, it will still take the latest OS version, which brings it up to one just leaving the factory.
Jim

#2879733 - 09/16/17 10:54 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
I can vouch for the efficacy of Dave's gig piano sounds. When I used them on my Casio PX-5S for the first time (support gig at a medium-large venue), after the check, the guy running sound remarked to me that it was the first digital piano he didn't have to do a major EQ job on.

#2879742 - 09/17/17 12:04 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Aidan]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale/Ventura, Ca.
My friend, Robin Swenson just replaced his PC-3 X (?) after a really long time with the Forte 88. He won't use anything -piano wise- other then Kurzweil.

Here's a FB video (if you can see it) the day before Irma with Rob taking a fair amount of choruses on Freddy the Freeloader.

That's his nutty, lovable wife, vocalist Janelle Sadler, shooting the video and popping her head in and out of the video.

Sorry for the long copy & paste - I couldn't get a clickable link:
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-29/21470530_138773076736318_5296214813687414784_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InNkIn0%3D&oh=f61e602f4022f5fab9a1f0e36ca92817&oe=59BE5189

#2879750 - 09/17/17 02:11 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: wd8dky]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: wd8dky
It's funny; the Forte has been out there since late 2015 (2 years almost), and only now it's feeling loved?

I had the same thought - sleeping bear awakes. I figured it was the weight that made these more attractive for studio use and less so for gigging.

#2879754 - 09/17/17 02:36 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DarkyLord]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I got a Forte 7 shortly after they were released, then just never ended up bonding with it, and it has mostly sat in the closet since then waiting to be sold. I had been planning to finally sell it this month and replace it with a Grandstage, but now these third party sounds have got me seriously rethinking that. I just applied to the FB group to research further. Thanks, everyone, for all the info.

#2879783 - 09/17/17 08:18 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DarkyLord]
Clawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Markyboard

I had the same thought - sleeping bear awakes. I figured it was the weight that made these more attractive for studio use and less so for gigging.

For me it was about timing. I'd just bought a CP4, and my NS2/73 was still viable... so another $4500 (CDN) board, sight unseen (no one stocks them up here) was a bit much! Now that I've moved on from those, it appears to me we are entering a new phase which could be "the end of hardware," so it's VI from now on. Nothing else seems to make sense in the big picture.

#2879785 - 09/17/17 08:22 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I've been biting my tongue since this was first posted. Many people shit on this model because other than the new pianos that were installed it was seen as mostly a PC3 + Kore 64 carryover. Now Jim Alfredson endorses the board and suddenly it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now people fall in line. It's almost comical .... Now suddenly the pianos (acoustic and electric) that didn't (previously reported) sit well in the mix are fabulous and wonderful. I'm not disagreeing with Jim (I actually agree with him as I own a PC3); I just don't need to have Jim or anyone else's blessing of the keyboard as apparently many do. No different than Joey D endorsing every other Hammond clone model that comes out. Joey D blessed the board so it must be good..... crazy

#2879788 - 09/17/17 08:48 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
Now Jim Alfredson endorses the board and suddenly it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now people fall in line.

Way off base here me thinks. I-MissRT started the recent interest with potential replacement of his ailing PC88. But it was dB who just bought one recently and obviously threatened a number of folks with triple strike..err.. bannination if they didn't "fall in line" facepalm rolleyes

#2879789 - 09/17/17 08:52 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DarkyLord]
Clawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
OYHPR grin
snax

#2879791 - 09/17/17 08:55 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

I've been biting my tongue since this was first posted. Many people shit on this model because other than the new pianos that were installed it was mostly a PC3 + Kore 64 carryover. Now Jim Alfredson endorses the board and suddenly it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now people fall in line. It's almost comical .... Now suddenly the pianos (acoustic and electric) that didn't (previously reported) sit well in the mix are fabulous and wonderful. I'm not disagreeing with Jim (I actually agree with him as I own a PC3); I just don't need to have Jim or anyone else's blessing of the keyboard as apparently many do. No different than Joey D endorsing every other Hammond clone model that comes out. Joey D blessed the board so it must be good..... crazy

Hey DD hope you're well man! Ah I would totally agree were we talking about the Kurz Artis. IT really just is a repackaged PC3 platform with KORE 64 option. But I would gently point out some fairly big things that you're overlooking with the Forte, many of which address feedback from the PC3 customers.

It's a completely new hardware platform, capable of playing multi-GB samples without a hard drive. And it boots up in under 30 seconds. That alone is pretty badass.

It's got 16GB of new samples - Steinway, Yamaha, Rhodes73/77, Wurly, Clav, Harpsi, Celesta and Glock - that's a massive undertaking for a small company. Definitely addresses all the folks who (righty) complained that the old PC3 triple strike piano was a bit long in the tooth. Huge step up from PC3's combined total of 256MB.

New large color display with a better UI. A major complaint about the PC3 was the old-looking display. Tons of software work to get this going. (I was shocked when I worked at Kurz to find out how difficult this work was.)

3GB of user sample memory - this is at the high end for hardware keyboards. A huge leap from PC3K's 128MB of user memory.

I'd go out on a limb and say the above items seem to make the Forte stand pretty far apart from the older PC3 series platform.

There are of course other items that while not earth-shattering are still pretty cool: piano string resonance (best model I've heard), half-damper, twice the FX power of PC3, KB3 uses its own polyphony (won't eat up any of the 128 voices of sample playback), ability to assign the buttons above slides in program mode, etc.

And one last thing that makes me very happy - Kurz has been releasing a series of small but useful sound banks free of charge. The Patch Kreator is especially cool, has the machine set up with a 2 oscillator into 1 filter synth architecture with params assigned to sliders. Has been very well received.

The Kurz engineers were smart with how they approached this new platform. Had they originally set out to do a "K3000", it would have been huge, very expensive and we'd still probably be waiting for its release!

Instead they released the Forte as a simple-ish stage piano with limited features. Once the new platform was stable and tested, they began adding features. Meanwhile the thing was selling and could bring in revenue. Since the first OS, the amount of features they've added has been huge - full VAST/fx editing, piano res, 3GB user memory, half pedaling, etc - amounts to pretty much the biggest/best free OS upgrade in the history of keyboarding. smile

And on top of everything they managed to keep the cost and weight below Montage and Kronos.

What Kurz doesn't have is a ton of marketing resources. Marketing is what gets people talking online about keyboards. Endorsing artists like Jim can *also* get people talking online about keyboards, with a much better bang to buck ratio than advertising.

So you're correct that more people are talking about it due to having a badass (and well loved) endorsing artist. But it certainly doesn't mean the thing is a repackaged PC3 or that it wasn't well received. Not that reviews are everything, but it did get two of the most positive reviews I've ever seen in Keyboard magazine and they were both before the big OS upgrades. http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/review-kurzweil-forte-7/58140

Hope this all sounds reasonable?

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/17/17 09:09 AM)

#2879800 - 09/17/17 09:44 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DarkyLord]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Way off base here me thinks. I-MissRT started the recent interest with potential replacement of his ailing PC88.

If it makes anyone feel better, I still highly prefer the CP4 over the Forte for piano. smile For an all around one keyboard, of course there's no comparison between the Yamaha & Kurzweil. Although the Ac. Bass patch on the CP4 is tough to beat , except by the Montage.

I posted that video specifically for T, thinking he might dig the current Forte piano sound in a more Blues/Jazz context.

Originally Posted By: FunkKeyStuff
I got a Forte 7 shortly after they were released, then just never ended up bonding with it, and it has mostly sat in the closet since then waiting to be sold. I had been planning to finally sell it this month and replace it with a Grandstage,

If I had to choose between the two, again for piano only, I'd go with the Korg. Fatar action, while certainly playable on the Forte, is simply not my preference for attempting to emulate an acoustic piano on an electronic keyboard.

However also again, it's pretty clear the Forte is a more versatile all in one keyboard then the Grand Stage.

#2879834 - 09/17/17 02:21 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
RABid Offline
10k Club

This is one that I really struggled with. I've always wanted a Kurz, I needed a DP, and it was time to buy. However, it is $1500 more than an RD2000, there are a lot of scary reports on the web about modern Kurzweil build quality, and there really isn't anything new and exciting with this release. I finally went the safe and comfortable route with an RD2000. I agree with the point that when Jim endorsed the Forte it was suddenly more desirable to a lot of people. That is an indication of the respect people on this forum have for Jim.

#2879839 - 09/17/17 02:41 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RABid]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: RABid
This is one that I really struggled with. I've always wanted a Kurz, I needed a DP, and it was time to buy. However, it is $1500 more than an RD2000, there are a lot of scary reports on the web about modern Kurzweil build quality, and there really isn't anything new and exciting with this release. I finally went the safe and comfortable route with an RD2000. I agree with the point that when Jim endorsed the Forte it was suddenly more desirable to a lot of people. That is an indication of the respect people on this forum have for Jim.

I thought it would not be unreasonable to say that going from 256MB in PC3 to 16GB of new samples in Forte (and all the other items in my above reply) in a machine that boots in 30 sec could possibly qualify as "something new and exciting".

It is more expensive than RD2000 (which is an excellent board in my opinion) but that's not what it's competing against. Its competitors are Montage, Kronos and Nord Stage and it's priced below those.

Build quality and incidence of QC problems on Forte has been quite good. I've been in touch with hundreds of Forte owners and have seen/heard almost zero QC problems. There were definitely quality issues w some of the older stuff, like weights falling out of keys in the old K25 and PC88, but that's been addressed with the newer TP40 action.

One good bit of news is that at present there are a lot of really good choices. Especially when comparing to 10 or 15 years ago. Forte, Kronos, Montage and Stage are all amazing boards as is the RD2000. Side note: I think the entire industry owes Korg a bit of thanks - the Kronos helped light a fire under the asses of all manufacturers to up their game.

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/17/17 02:46 PM)

#2879843 - 09/17/17 02:59 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dave Weiser
.... Side note: I think the entire industry owes Korg a bit of thanks - the Kronos helped light a fire under the asses of all manufacturers to up their game.

Honestly, that might be my biggest reason for not going with the Forte. I already have the Kronos 2 73. I don't really need a do-all keyboard. Just an 88 focused on piano that also lets me control external gear.

#2879844 - 09/17/17 03:02 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've been biting my tongue since this was first posted. Many people shit on this model because other than the new pianos that were installed it was mostly a PC3 + Kore 64 carryover. Now Jim Alfredson endorses the board and suddenly it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now people fall in line. It's almost comical .... Now suddenly the pianos (acoustic and electric) that didn't (previously reported) sit well in the mix are fabulous and wonderful. I'm not disagreeing with Jim (I actually agree with him as I own a PC3); I just don't need to have Jim or anyone else's blessing of the keyboard as apparently many do. No different than Joey D endorsing every other Hammond clone model that comes out. Joey D blessed the board so it must be good..... crazy

I sure haven't observed the same thing. There have been many threads about the Forte and a good deal of interest. If there's been a negative consensus (Ugh, I hate group think anyhow) regarding the pianos or anything else, I'm not aware of it. The Montage has been out for 1.5 years and I've seen FAR less interest in that instrument. Also consider you can walk into any Guitar Center, demo a Montage and walk out with one. I probably can't try out a Kronos or Forte anywhere in Seattle, but I can find a Montage at virtually every store.

The new APs/EPs are a HUGE improvement over the PC3, IMO. Plus now you have that 3.3 GB of user flash all in a reasonably priced instrument.

I takes a while for these keyboard to take hold.

Busch.

#2879863 - 09/17/17 05:37 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dave, I've been onboard with the keyboard from the beginning. That's kind of my point. There were lots of dumping about the keyboard. Two years later Jim A comes along and endorses the keyboard and now many see the light. The keyboard has had full VAST editing for a year. And now there are third party designers entering the picture. It always was a great keyboard and Kurz continues to improve it. You don't need to convince me, and you never did. Now that Jim has given the thumbs up all will be well from the non-believers. That's kind of the sad part of it all; it shouldn't need to be done that way...... That's my point.

#2879869 - 09/17/17 06:13 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
matted stump Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Two years later Jim A comes along and endorses the keyboard and now many see the light.

Huh? You keep repeating this. I don't see it. idk

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2879876 - 09/17/17 08:41 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: matted stump]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

I can only speak for me.

I've been a Kurzweil fan since I learned to drive the K250 in the mid-80s when it first came out, and sold more of them in the US than anyone...except this one guy named Chuck in Fort Wayne, Indiana... smile

I worked for them for a short period in the 80s in MA (Bob Moog signed my Mini when both he and I were working there) and a little while in the 90s in CA. I had K1000 in a bunch of forms (along with a few of the 1000 modules) and even wrote a few factory programs for that series. I've owned more versions of K2000 than I can count (I was even in on the early focus groups that led to the product), have been using PC3 as my main live board for almost ten years, have a PC3K8 in my studio, and decided to add a Forte to the arsenal after having a nice conversation with my buddy Dave Weiser (who I've known for more than a minute). Means I can sell my PC3 now...and I got a much better instrument and keybed in the process.

The fact that I could port my PC3K8's programs, custom samples, setups and Quick Access over to the Forte using a thumb drive was certainly a plus...and, of course, I'm somewhat familiar with the engine, and have yet to have to open the manual.

Don't get me wrong - I like Jim A and all...but he had precisely zero to do with me just getting mine. Matter of fact, now I'm wondering if he copied me... idk poke grin

dB

#2879877 - 09/17/17 08:50 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Grave Bryce]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Jim's influence over me is so great that it works retroactively; it went back in time and convinced me to get a Forte before he did!

I haven't done the OS update yet, but I did set it up and dig into it again today to see if my perspective had changed since I last played it. Nope. Out of the box it still leaves me cold. But I'm intrigued enough by some of the 3rd party sounds I've heard that I'm willing to spend a few bucks and give them a shot before liquidating it.

#2879901 - 09/18/17 01:06 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Josh Paxton]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Jim's influence over me is so great that it works retroactively; it went back in time and convinced me to get a Forte before he did!

I haven't done the OS update yet, but I did set it up and dig into it again today to see if my perspective had changed since I last played it. Nope. Out of the box it still leaves me cold. But I'm intrigued enough by some of the 3rd party sounds I've heard that I'm willing to spend a few bucks and give them a shot before liquidating it.

Update that OS man. It's really, really, really easy and painless. And then you can load the piano sounds I sent you. smile

#2879903 - 09/18/17 01:21 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Way off base here me thinks. I-MissRT started the recent interest with potential replacement of his ailing PC88.

If it makes anyone feel better, I still highly prefer the CP4 over the Forte for piano. smile For an all around one keyboard, of course there's no comparison between the Yamaha & Kurzweil. Although the Ac. Bass patch on the CP4 is tough to beat , except by the Montage.

I posted that video specifically for T, thinking he might dig the current Forte piano sound in a more Blues/Jazz context.

Thank you for that.
Honestly , a few hours at GC this afternoon, and " the jury is still out ".

Of course, Forte is not at GC.
And GC sucks if one is seeking apples to apples comparisons.

I remember ages ago, taking a long time to finally commit to the Roland jv 1000. It was a single combo/ setup/ performance, that finally got to me.. and then I had to have it.

None of the board at La Mesa CA GC are in a proper amp setup.
The Roland 2000 is in a Roland 550
Nord is in a single tiny near field. and so on.

I will probably continue to not be entirely bitten by the GAS bug, for the foreseeable future.
I have to be really taken by a single combo/ setup/ performance
before I become compelled to buy.

I have enough disappointments with previous purchases to prevent "consumation" of a board.
But the moment those endorphins kick in, I will say so here.

The closest I have come has been Montage. But I have NOT heard a combination of bass, keys, pad, to more or less force me, to buy it.

#2879926 - 09/18/17 05:08 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I don't consider the Montage to be anything like the Forte or Kronos. The big difference is the Kronos is designed to integrate with my entire rig. The Montage is designed to stand alone.

#2880129 - 09/19/17 12:07 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RABid]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not sure how to reply to Delaware Dave's posts. The way I see it, if I can help someone make a good decision about a piece of gear because they trust me due to the reputation I've carefully built over the decades... isn't that a good thing?

Besides... I've always wanted a Kurzweil. They are cool! smile

#2880136 - 09/19/17 02:34 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

None of the board at La Mesa CA GC are in a proper amp setup.
The Roland 2000 is in a Roland 550
Nord is in a single tiny near field. and so on.

I will probably continue to not be entirely bitten by the GAS bug, for the foreseeable future.
I have to be really taken by a single combo/ setup/ performance
before I become compelled to buy.
The closest I have come has been Montage. But I have NOT heard a combination of bass, keys, pad, to more or less force me, to buy it.

Well after hearing the RD-2000 through the infamous KC-550 and any Nord Piano through the little cheezeball monitors I'm accustomed to seeing/hearing at GC - it's no wonder you continually to be underwhelmed and not bitten by GAS. wink

Have you ever considered taking a pair of even mediocre phones in to listen to keyboards ?

What did you hear the Montage through ? Also consider the 88 is a formidable beast to schlep. I believe Allan Evett and one other fellow here (much younger) decided it was a bit too much. Allan went down to the RD-2000, 48lbs. and less girthy, from the 64 lbs. and mucho girth on the flagship Yamaha.

I'm sure the Montage 8 is a great live ax for Chick or Michael McDonald --- especially when their road crew springs into action and starts earning their dough. wink

Like I posted yesterday
The Forte is another animal altogether removed from the PC88 - both action and sound. The only thing they share in remotely being similar is the name stenciled on it. If Kurz pianos are your thing , you should really try to play one somehow, somewhere..

#2880164 - 09/19/17 06:31 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
The way I see it, if I can help someone make a good decision about a piece of gear because they trust me due to the reputation I've carefully built over the decades... isn't that a good thing?

Yeah, I think it's a good thing. I assume that when someone plays well they have a discerning ear and a need for an inspiring visceral experience. To be honest there are so many folks on this forum that have a lot to say about gear (and music) but don't post their music so I don't really know how much weight I should give to their opinions. So yes, I checked out Forte videos again after Jim's positive post because I know he plays well. But once again, for me, the Forte didn't compare well with the CP4 that I have and enjoy playing. BTW, I also compared the Forte YT videos with CP4 YT videos in an attempt to neutralize the negative effect YT has on sound quality. We all have our own individual preferences and there are lots of great choices nowadays. I'm happy with my CP4 and am also happy for those who love their Fortes. These are good times!

#2880254 - 09/19/17 11:59 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Al Quinn]
Iconoclast Offline
Gold Member

I have had a Forte for a year. Actually didn't know who Jim A even was (sorry?!). I was in the market for either a Montage, Kronos or Nord Stage 2EX. Didn't seriously consider a Forte initially.

Ended up getting one based entirely on input from people on this board.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2812815/1

So, I'd disagree with the assertion that the Forte has been discovered only since Jim A's endorsement.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2880267 - 09/19/17 01:33 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN

Well after hearing the RD-2000 through the infamous KC-550 and any Nord Piano through the little cheezeball monitors I'm accustomed to seeing/hearing at GC - it's no wonder you continually to be underwhelmed and not bitten by GAS. wink

Have you ever considered taking a pair of even mediocre phones in to listen to keyboards ?

What did you hear the Montage through ? Also consider the 88 is a formidable beast to schlep. I believe Allan Evett and one other fellow here (much younger) decided it was a bit too much. Allan went down to the RD-2000, 48lbs. and less girthy, from the 64 lbs. and mucho girth on the flagship Yamaha.

I'm sure the Montage 8 is a great live ax for Chick or Michael McDonald --- especially when their road crew springs into action and starts earning their dough. wink

Like I posted yesterday
The Forte is another animal altogether removed from the PC88 - both action and sound. The only thing they share in remotely being similar is the name stenciled on it. If Kurz pianos are your thing , you should really try to play one somehow, somewhere..

Had a feeling I'd be jumping back into the Forte discussion, sooner or later. I don't think it's the support of dB or JA that suddenly made the Forte 'popular'; the instrument stands well on its own. The specs provided by Dave Weiser, along with the endorsements by many users, is evidence of something very strong in a digital keyboard.

As Dave Ferris mentioned, neither of us have found Kurz pianos to be our particular fit. But I have had conversations with some fellow players who avoid Roland pianos, and others who find the Yamaha digital piano sound lacking; and I just happen to have a preference for both of those. To be clear: I found the Forte 7's pianos to be capable and inspiring to play; it's just for some reason my finger-to-ear connection is more nuanced with the other two brands. So you could just as easily find the Forte pianos equally nuanced and inspiring to play. I was frequently told how good the Forte's pianos sounded, live.

So that's just one reason why I still recommend the Forte as an instrument worth checking out. The other reasons are clear: variety, amount, and quality of sounds; KB3 mode; kick-ass VA engine.... And while I haven't played the Purgatory Creek sounds, the examples do sound awesome. And I can attest to the quality of the other 3rd-party libraries - from Kurzweil and Barb & Co. The barbandco.com synth libraries are insanely good; if you want FM, Jupiter and Obie 80's+ goodness in Kurz format, this is your holy grail.

Edited by allan_evett (09/19/17 01:36 PM)

#2880271 - 09/19/17 01:46 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RABid]
theshinenz Offline

Originally Posted By: RABid
I don't consider the Montage to be anything like the Forte or Kronos. The big difference is the Kronos is designed to integrate with my entire rig. The Montage is designed to stand alone.

Really? Have you used a Montage? I have used it it a multi keyboard setup and currently using it controlling mainstage and it works very well. As a controller its not as flexible as say the Forte or PC3 which ive also owned but the thing sounds so good, with mainstage and the use of the superknob locally I ended up ditching my second keyboard as could do everything I needed with the Montage and a few extra sounds from Kontakt etc.

I think people have been misinformed about the Montage from users that havent spent the time learning to drive it.

#2880278 - 09/19/17 02:20 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: theshinenz]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: theshinenz
Really? Have you used a Montage? ...

I own a Montage 7. Early adapter. Too early. I should have held off and read more reviews from users before jumping. I bought it assuming that I could put it on top of an 88 controller and use the controller to play piano while playing other parts on the Montage. What a mess. I've had several Motif's over the years and they were all great at integrating into a larger setup. Many times I used a Motif 6 on top of an 88 controller and it worked great. It is obvious that Yamaha intended the Montage to be a stand alone. They have bowed to pressure and tried to patch a few things together with updates but it is still crippled in that context. It is fine as a stand alone keyboard. It sucks as a multi tembrel sound source for your live rig.

#2880292 - 09/19/17 03:06 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RABid]
jeffnkrn Offline

Forte owner here. My 2 cents - Love the piano and Rhodes sounds.
The 7ft piano plays better than the 9ft - better dynamics, but I like the 9ft sound more (Steinway?). Hard to play soft on the piano patches . Esp. 9ft. The Rhodes are very dynamic sounding and no problem playing soft. The KB3 organ is good, but doesn't replace a good clone like my Numa. Great for the wedding band though! Synth sounds and pads could be warmer to me. Though I hear some 3rd party patches are taking care of that. I like the action, though it took awhile to get used to and it broke in after a couple months playing, feeling more fluid.

I recently played the Roland RD-2000. Great piano and Rhodes sounds and a great feeling action. Really enjoyed playing on it.
Action is excellent. Better than the Fatar on the Forte to me.
The synth sounds and build quality are not as good. Surprised the synth sounds didn't do it for me, since I love Roland's warmth, but it wasn't there for me. Forte is built better - more robust.

Friend of mine has a Montage. All the sounds are excellent to me.
Played the Bosendorfer sample. Wow! Big and clean and dynamic.
One problem. HATE the action. Out of these 3 this is my least favorite to play. But the board sounds great. Synths nice and big and warm and tons of patches. One other problem is this board is too heavy and big to gig with. So for me it's not a good choice there. Wish it had the CP4 action in it and was 10 pounds or more lighter and smaller. Also, I have always had problems getting around the Yamaha interface.

Even after playing these, will be keeping my Forte. Still learning how to use it, even though it's not that difficult, it is very deep. Great board!

Edited by jeffnkrn (09/19/17 03:08 PM)

#2880303 - 09/19/17 04:29 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My friend, Robin Swenson just replaced his PC-3 X (?) after a really long time with the Forte 88. He won't use anything -piano wise- other then Kurzweil.

Here's a FB video (if you can see it) the day before Irma with Rob taking a fair amount of choruses on Freddy the Freeloader.

That's his nutty, lovable wife, vocalist Janelle Sadler, shooting the video and popping her head in and out of the video.

Sorry for the long copy & paste - I couldn't get a clickable link:
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-29/21470530_138773076736318_5296214813687414784_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InNkIn0%3D&oh=f61e602f4022f5fab9a1f0e36ca92817&oe=59BE5189

Fwiw - like me , anyone still trying to view that video is getting a "url expired". I don't understand FB video links - in regard to why some stay viewable and others not, it very well could be something I'm doing or not - but if anyone really wants to see that video , you can PM me and I'll give a link and date to the FB page it was posted on. Sorry about that.

#2880311 - 09/19/17 05:23 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: allan_evett]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: allan_evett
The barbandco.com synth libraries are insanely good; if you want FM, Jupiter and Obie 80's+ goodness in Kurz format, this is your holy grail.

OMG I love you! grin

#2880346 - 09/19/17 10:49 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Okay, so I plan on making some vids this weekend. Quick first impressions since having it for about a week:

1) The sounds are overall very good and playable. I've used it on three gigs already and the pianos and EPs cut nicely through the mix.

2) I love how easy it is to edit layers / splits and create multis.

3) I love that big ol' data entry wheel. It feels great and just looks cool.

4) I enjoy the intuitive interface. I was going through the FAVORITES and wanted to store my own. "I wonder if it's like programming a car radio preset," I thought to myself. You know, just hold the preset button down to save the station to that button. And sure enough!

5) The VAST engine is capable of some great analog style sounds. I purchased the Barb and Co Vortex soundset and there are some great sounds in there. I think I'm going to go for the U-MAX 101 set next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfb4179vI9o

#2880381 - 09/20/17 06:37 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
rockinroller Offline

Loc: Motown
Shame on anybody here who purchases a board primarily on the basis of some perceived "expert's" opinion--or even based on a confluence of many of those so-called "experts". The qualities of a keyboard having to do with sound are subjective--based on an individual's own ear and expectations, etc. While the physical features--weight, key bed response, layout, etc--can be argued with some degree of validity, an individual's OPINION of the sound(s)--regardless of that person's own abilities to play--should be taken like any other opinion.

Go back and read all of the (1,000's)of posts regarding various portable keyboards and their respective ability to emulate the adulated Hammond B3 and Leslie effect on this site and others. It's no surprise that a consensus has never been reached on what the "best" and most "accurate" board is in that regard. Why? Primarily because it's a matter of personal taste and expectation.

I appreciate comments and posts on this site that involve objective data and even those with personal opinions. However--at least for me--someone's opinion on the sounds produced by a particular board that I am considering is taken with a grain of salt, and will never be the driving force in and of itself for me to even make the effort to try one out.
Samson 6 channel mixer

#2880387 - 09/20/17 06:51 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

As an early user of the Forte I can absolutely say that this board covers any gig, I'm curious to find out which task it couldn't step up to. smile
As Music Director at my church I played a Boston grand for the last 17 years seven masses a week, I also tuned it on a regular basis ( the AC situation & my constant playing hard). We recently put the Boston on consignment & put the Forte in a piano shell & bam... the sound is glorious (pun intended). I also use it on some blues, country & Spanish salsa gigs, it performs flawlessly, it's a workhorse.
Dave Weiser has been there every step of the way helping with patient advice which to me is unheard of in today's business market. I'm glad an artist like Jim A. would endorse the Forte, he's a working dog like the rest of us so if he's willing to put his street cred. on this that does say something of note... rock on Jim.

#2880399 - 09/20/17 07:35 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
J Graul Offline

Loc: Loo-uh-vull
If I was looking to replace my main board, I would definitely consider the Forte. It's been at the top of my wish list since it came out. However, $4K is $4K which is way out of my budget since getting married with a step-daughter. Still wishing though (along with the Minimoog D and ARP Odyssey FS).

Edited by J Graul (09/20/17 07:36 AM)

#2880426 - 09/20/17 09:13 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
johnchop Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
The VAST engine is capable of some great analog style sounds. I purchased the Barb and Co Vortex soundset and there are some great sounds in there.

No kidding. No offense to the Kurzweil sound team, but Barb's stuff really opened my eyes about the potential of the VA engine.

Also, I don't know if Paul Dillen's FM library for the PC3 series will import seamlessly into the Forte, but if you need those FM "tines", clangorous basses, punchy horns, and smooth strings, plus some other cool bits, it's really well done.

http://www.dlnsound.com/kfmpc3.htm

Of course, the 80s were ... complicated.

#2880428 - 09/20/17 09:23 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: johnchop]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Okay....as someone who has tried (and failed) to love my Kurzweil purchases, they just seem to leave me cold. Huge midi potential and easy to program (midi that is!). But the sonics just never made it for me.

But I'm open minded. Dave Weiser, as you have lots of experience with Nord, or any of you in That situation, why would I go Forte over Nordstage 3?

What I like about Nord: Generally really good sounds. Super spontaneous and easy to maneuver, a lot in a small weight.

What I don't like: it's midi implementation works, but after going from assignable splits and layers to "Choice A, B, C or D", I feel like they could up their game. The pianos work but they seem to have an "otherness" quality that keeps them from integrating with other sounds smoothly.

#2880436 - 09/20/17 09:51 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: johnchop]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: johnchop

Also, I don't know if Paul Dillen's FM library for the PC3 series will import seamlessly into the Forte, but if you need those FM "tines", clangorous basses, punchy horns, and smooth strings, plus some other cool bits, it's really well done.

Barb and Co offer one as well called Cobalt. I was just considering purchasing it.

http://www.barbandco.com/store/p46/Cobalt_Forte_Serie.html

I'm still going through the manual in my off time. Lots of power under the hood.

#2880450 - 09/20/17 10:39 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

so... I asked a couple pages back and never got an answer- can the Forte or Forte SE do one shot samples like the FA08? Can I assign a sample to a button or does it have to be assigned to a key? If it's assigned to a key, can the samples be loaded per combi?
www.echoesrocks.com

#2880461 - 09/20/17 12:39 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DanL]
mojkarma Offline

If I remember well, it can't. You have to play with the release/sustain settings. You first have to assign the samples to a multisample, called keymap which in turn can be used for creating a program (patch). Then you can use a button for sending midi note data and trigger that sample.
To avoid hitting the samples unintentionally from the keybed, you can transpose the program/keymap so that it is out of the 88/76 keys range and adjust a (midi) button to still trigger the sample which is assigned to a note.

Edit:
Just to be clear, my first sentence is means that Forte (to my knowledge) can't reproduce one shot samples.

Edited by mojkarma (09/20/17 01:39 PM)

#2880462 - 09/20/17 12:43 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DanL]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

so... I asked a couple pages back and never got an answer- can the Forte or Forte SE do one shot samples like the FA08? Can I assign a sample to a button or does it have to be assigned to a key? If it's assigned to a key, can the samples be loaded per combi?

Greetings from Manila, where it's 3:30am!

Just exchanged some quick Facebook messages with their head of software, confirming what I thought: YES. smile

In Multi mode, each "Switch" has 2 modes: MIDI CC or Chord.
With Chord you can trigger up to 8 notes.

(See page 11-17 in the manual, you can get it here: http://kurzweil.com/product/forte/downloads/ Note it is searchable.)

The Forte has 8 assignable switch buttons plus 2 switch pedals that can all be programmed to fire notes or chords when using Multis.

One clarification: on Kurz boards, you don't assign a raw sample to be triggered by itself. A Program is what gets triggered. Programs are made up of keymaps. Keymaps are made of samples. They do have a fairly easy to use default Keymap (called Silence) and Default Program to be used for setting up one shot sample playback.

Cool side note: when editing a keymap, if you want to assign more samples to more key ranges, whenever you create a new key range, you can move the cursor to High Note or Low Note and hit the desired note while holding Enter. Conversely, when editing a keymap, if you're trying to find the sample assigned to a specific note, move the cursor to Key Range and hit the desired note while holding Enter and it will jump right to the sample you're looking for.

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/20/17 12:45 PM)

#2880463 - 09/20/17 01:08 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: johnchop]
Analogaddict Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

I imported the DLN collection today as well as a couple of Barb sound sets - it all seems to work flawlessly. I'll be trying it out a bit more tomorrow.

#2880464 - 09/20/17 01:12 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Analogaddict Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

I think I'm going to go for the U-MAX 101 set next.

Yes, you should. It's filled with great sounds and templates. Looking forward to your videos! smile

#2880500 - 09/20/17 04:03 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Analogaddict]
Iconoclast Offline
Gold Member

In my first year with the Forte, one of the big plusses I would give it is the Kurzweil community is way more invested in their instrument than I saw out of my years in the Yamaha world.

Which is good because VAST will kick you in the nutz without some help. Help is available though...but my nutz are still tender.

#2880504 - 09/20/17 04:18 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Tonysounds]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: rickzjamm
As an early user of the Forte I can absolutely say that this board covers any gig, I'm curious to find out which task it couldn't step up to. smile

Organ trio. wink

For me the organ engine falls squarely into the "perfectly good enough for a cover band gig, but not even in consideration for serious organ" category. But everything else, I'd agree.

Originally Posted By: Tonysounds
any of you in That situation, why would I go Forte over Nordstage 3?

I've never played the Stage 3, but having owned the Electros 1 through 3, 5, and a Stage 2, I feel qualified to chime in. I'd say it depends on what you're using it for. The Nord organ wins hands down IMO, so if that's your main concern, there you go. APs are roughly on par, but I find the Forte plays better, while Nord offers more variety. EPs are close too, though I've just got the Wurlis from Purgatory Creek installed, and they're head and shoulders above any other hardware board I've played, Nord included. Clavs are comparable; I haven't yet gotten a good staccato snap on the Forte, but I'm hoping that's a matter of the keybed and will improve when I play them from a non-weighted board. Synth tones I don't use enough to have a meaningful opinion, other than that both boards are more than sufficient for my needs. The Forte is way better with orchestral sounds, since it isn't limited to one velocity layer.

Where the Forte really comes out on top is with its flexibility for splits, layers, and multi-board setups. For starters, you can set the split points wherever you want – just like you could on every non-Nord keyboard I've owned since the mid-80s. (Yes, I have harped on this point about Nord before, and will continue to do so until either they change their ways or I'm dead/too senile to care any more.) Also, you aren't limited to a certain number of any given category of sounds like you are on the Nord; you can split, say, three different synth sounds if that's what you need. And the effects are much less limited too. I don't know if Nord has fixed this with the Stage 3, but on the E5, if you had a split with, say, EP and organ, you could use an amp sim on the EP or the Leslie sim on the organ, but not both. No such limitation with the Forte.

Between the new OS and the new sounds, I've gone from "almost certainly going to sell it" to "pretty optimistic that it will work out as my go-to bottom board." I leave tonight for a short tour with the Forte in the saddle, so this will be its trial by fire.

#2880519 - 09/20/17 05:06 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Josh Paxton]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Clavs are comparable; I haven't yet gotten a good staccato snap on the Forte

This was a pleasant surprise when I got my NE5D, the clavs were really snappy. I figured out why... although there's no reference to this in their product description or manual, they smatly use the lower sensor instead of the upper sensor to trigger note-off. (Korg had an option for low-sensor release on the King Korg, but the way they implemented it is that you get no velocity response when you enable that.)

I like Kurz and Nord both. But to balance your comment with some things the Nord is better at... mostly real-time controls. The Stage has a full knobby synth with logically spaced/sized/labeled controls dedicated to that function. If you want to put an effect on a sound, you don't have to menu-dive to do it. There's an immediacy there that few other boards have, to grab and manipulate sounds on the fly with no advance setup. The drawbars look and feel like drawbars. And so on. It's just a different paradigm from most multi-purpose boards, which have buttons and knobs/sliders whose functions change depending on what you're doing, and lots of menu diving to assemble setups or edit sounds. Other than that, I like the simplicity of loading custom samples into the Nord, and the pitch stick is cool.

It's all good, and there are always trade-offs. I've never considered Forte simply because there's no super lightweight version. But I like my Artis7, and will be weighing the pros and cons of swapping that out for a SP6. And I like my NE5D, but will consider upgrading it to a NS3 at some point.

#2880521 - 09/20/17 05:18 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Josh Paxton]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

FKS, glad you're digging the Wurlies. Regarding the clavs, please take a look at the documentation. I tried to emulate the filter switches (always a challenge) and you have controls for attack and release sample volume. The attack is an acoustic sampling of the clav body. And, there's also the usual FX and compression. You might be able to dial them in better to your liking.

These should be the most detailed clavs available in hardware. They feature seven velocity layers (no loops) for each of the four pickups plus release and attack layers. Nord, for example, uses three velocity layers (looped) with neither attack nor release.

Busch.

#2880524 - 09/20/17 05:43 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: AnotherScott]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Clavs are comparable; I haven't yet gotten a good staccato snap on the Forte

This was a pleasant surprise when I got my NE5D, the clavs were really snappy. I figured out why... although there's no reference to this in their product description or manual, they smatly use the lower sensor instead of the upper sensor to trigger note-off. (Korg had an option for low-sensor release on the King Korg, but the way they implemented it is that you get no velocity response when you enable that.)

It very well could be related to the keyboard. I have sampled the Nord clavs and listened to them carefully and there's nothing in the samples that would make them snappy. Personally, I find most of the Rhodes triggered from the Electro keyboard to be far too snappy for my taste.

Busch.

#2880528 - 09/20/17 06:29 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
10k Club

I have sampled the Nord clavs and listened to them carefully and there's nothing in the samples that would make them snappy.

Yup. Sonically the clav in the NE5D is average, but it plays really well because the note off happens lower in the key travel (compared to the piano note off, for example).

And the bummer is, IIRC, the low release doesn't happen over MIDI, a MIDI Note Off is always at the normal higher release point. So you can't get the same responsiveness out of the keyboard if you were, say, using it to drive your clav sound in a Forte. :-(

Edited by AnotherScott (09/20/17 06:30 PM)

#2880539 - 09/20/17 10:10 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: AnotherScott]
matted stump Offline
10k Club

I think I have mentioned this before, but I used to make my Stage clavs snappier by layering a note off click synthesized using the synth section.

#2880546 - 09/20/17 11:30 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Josh Paxton]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: rickzjamm

Organ trio. wink

Yeah. This is true. I'm going to play with the organ engine a bit and see what I can do but it's quite inauthentic compared to what's available today. The Leslie sim is circa 1994, imo. Maybe through a Vent it would be better. The percussion is not right either. For background parts where the organ isn't up front? It could work okay.

Today I played a Montage 8 at a rehearsal for a show. It was a 75-minute drive to the rehearsal space and I didn't feel like hauling in a rig since it was in a basement and the owner of the home we rehearsed in had the Montage already set-up. So I was lazy and just used it. Plus, to be honest, I've been lusting after a Montage since they were announced.

I noticed a few things with the Montage in my 3+ hour rehearsal. Firstly, I actually think the EPs in the Kurzweil are better, especially Busch's set (Purgatory Creek). This surprised me. Secondly, the CFX piano in Montage is more realistic and dare I say prettier sounding but I think the Kurzweil may cut better. Hard to know without actually being on stage. And lastly, even with it's big beautiful touch display, the Montage is definitely a Yamaha product. By that I mean that simple things like splits are non-intuitive. I'm sure I could figure it out. But the Kurzweil seems much more logical. I did need to transpose a tune (oh the horror!) because they decided to do it in Bm instead of Cm and it involves a Bach-inspired double-handed harpsichord part that I'm not about to re-learn in Bm a day before the gig. And it took me a bit to figure out how to do that on the Montage. It involves holding the SHIFT button. I like that you can just press a single button on the Forte to transpose or to octave shift.

One thing that surprised me; the organs in the Montage are actually pretty good. I wouldn't do an organ trio gig with them, but the Leslie sim is definitely better. Yamaha has never really been known for their authentic tonewheel sounds, so this was unexpected. Like the Kurzweil, they don't replace a dedicated clonewheel, but for background parts they work just fine.

So the Kurzweil has drastically cut my GAS for the Montage, even though I'd still like to have one eventually (I'm a sucker for FM synthesis). But now I'm thinking of a Montage 6 instead of a 7. Definitely not an 8. That thing is HUGE!

I think overall the Forte is a far better performance keyboard thanks to the intuitive interface, the lighter footprint, the quality of the bread and butter sounds, and the ease of use.

#2880547 - 09/20/17 11:49 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Jim, people like you ( And Mr Ferris and others, I am too sleepy to recall sleep )
do us here at KC an authentic service. Only with a serious player: when I match the descriptors with the player, can I walk away feeling I learned something.
I too have had some GAS for Montage ( not any Nord though- frankly, is it me confused , but I do not get the excitement over the $4400+ Nord is it a "2"? Hardly a single board ax for left hand bass )
I keep playing it, but have yet to get really excited by it.
precisely as you have said, "it's a Yamaha", referring to the weird architecture... so I have yet to even begin to match a left hand bass with an EP or AP sound.
While we are on the subject that has bobbed its head up here and there in this thread: IS the Montage a good choice if I want to have splits and multi layers... and to control those sounds with volume sliders??

Is the Forte better for the above functionality?

As far as the lineage of Kurz... starting with the pc 88, then came the pcx I guess that was its name, then the Forte.
Can anyone compare
action
and sound of the pianos of all three eras of Kurz, beginning at the mid point of pc 88 ( I also owned and sold a K 2000 )
Pcx
and Forte

And if it was already answered ( I am exhausted and beat up, in general - so excuse me if I am redundant ) IS there a killer Mono
ac piano in Forte? The PC88 had one, as I mentioned,

Thank you for bringing this almost forgotten keyboard model up.

Oh one last thing maybe for Mr Weiser
Is there a place to audition a Forte in S Cal. Preferably closer to San Diego or Irvine, but I would travel North of that if necessary.
Peace, Out

Edited by I-missRichardTee (09/20/17 11:51 PM)

#2880558 - 09/21/17 04:06 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Jim, people like you ( And Mr Ferris and others, I am too sleepy to recall sleep )
do us here at KC an authentic service. Only with a serious player: when I match the descriptors with the player, can I walk away feeling I learned something.
I too have had some GAS for Montage ( not any Nord though- frankly, is it me confused , but I do not get the excitement over the $4400+ Nord is it a "2"? Hardly a single board ax for left hand bass )
I keep playing it, but have yet to get really excited by it.
precisely as you have said, "it's a Yamaha", referring to the weird architecture... so I have yet to even begin to match a left hand bass with an EP or AP sound.
While we are on the subject that has bobbed its head up here and there in this thread: IS the Montage a good choice if I want to have splits and multi layers... and to control those sounds with volume sliders??

Is the Forte better for the above functionality?

As far as the lineage of Kurz... starting with the pc 88, then came the pcx I guess that was its name, then the Forte.
Can anyone compare
action
and sound of the pianos of all three eras of Kurz, beginning at the mid point of pc 88 ( I also owned and sold a K 2000 )
Pcx
and Forte

And if it was already answered ( I am exhausted and beat up, in general - so excuse me if I am redundant ) IS there a killer Mono
ac piano in Forte? The PC88 had one, as I mentioned,

Thank you for bringing this almost forgotten keyboard model up.

Oh one last thing maybe for Mr Weiser
Is there a place to audition a Forte in S Cal. Preferably closer to San Diego or Irvine, but I would travel North of that if necessary.
Peace, Out

The Forte pianos sum to mono very, very nicely. I'll eat a bug if you don't like them in mono. smile I've used them on a bunch of gigs, everyone - sound guy, audience and myself, were all pleased.

Forte kills when it comes to splits/layers - making them, and making them sound good. By default the first 4 sliders will control volumes of the first 4 zones in a Multi.

I have put the word out on the street to help you find a unit in SoCal to audition. LA area looks more likely than San Diego. If I weren't on a gig I'd have half mind to come out myself with one just to have an excuse to visit San Diego (and its amazing restaurants).

#2880560 - 09/21/17 04:09 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

I'm going to play with the organ engine a bit and see what I can do but it's quite inauthentic compared to what's available today.

Agreed. I'm not crazy about the factory KB3 presets. I *believe* they were created early in development when the hardware and software were not playing nicely with one another... and then those presets never got updated/fixed.

It's precisely why I made the KB3 presets in my custom set. You'll get better results with those, they've been well received by some tough critics. I don't think anyone will be dropping their dedicated clone for them, but they should be on the higher end of what you can get from an all-in-one bottom board.

Note to all: my custom KB3 programs and gig-piano presets (for Forte) are available free of charge for anyone who's interested.

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/21/17 09:52 AM)

#2880573 - 09/21/17 05:42 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm not sure about the Forte but in the PC3 the percussion is routed through the C/V, which might be what you are also hearing in the Forte, I don't think that was ever fixed. Also, the C/V is lousy, don't think that was ever fixed either, although it could have been. C1 is the max C/V that is even acceptable.

#2880596 - 09/21/17 07:01 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
10k Club

The percussion is not right either.

Yes, and also the key click (at least in the earlier non-Forte Kurz models I've played). IIRC, you can change the pitch of the click, but the sound itself just isn't authentic.

Secondly, the CFX piano in Montage is more realistic and dare I say prettier sounding but I think the Kurzweil may cut better.

I would be somewhat surprised if you couldn't use some EQ to get a Montage piano to cut just as well. But... could be.

One thing that surprised me; the organs in the Montage are actually pretty good. I wouldn't do an organ trio gig with them, but the Leslie sim is definitely better. Yamaha has never really been known for their authentic tonewheel sounds, so this was unexpected.

When you say the Leslie sim is better, you mean better than the Forte, right? As an aside, I really liked an organ sound in the old Yamaha S30/S80, and even looking at the edit parameters side by side, I could never get the later Motif/MOX XS-XF series to sound as good. IIRC, it was mostly the tube overdrive effect that the older series did much better.

So the Kurzweil has drastically cut my GAS for the Montage, even though I'd still like to have one eventually (I'm a sucker for FM synthesis).

or you can look at the Kronos for the FM, and a pretty good CX3 organ engine too.

#2880599 - 09/21/17 07:10 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: AnotherScott]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Yup, for the purists the KB3 organ wouldn't fare well in a trio but in the cover band world, church (and pit) it's great!!!! Actually the pipes are pretty damm close to the real thing on Sunday morning services. I also use a NE5 as a second tier when in the studio or big shows.

#2880600 - 09/21/17 07:11 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
10k Club

Agreed. I'm not crazy about the factory KB3 presets. I *believe* they were created early in development when the hardware and software were not playing nicely with one another... and then those presets never got updated/fixed.

It's precisely why I made the KB3 presets in my custom set. You'll get better results with those, they've been well received by some tough critics.

I'll have to find a way to check them out some time.

Have you ever seen this one? Sounds pretty impressive. I bought it, but wasn't able to get it to work at the time (either on SP4-7 or Artis7), I've been meaning to get back to that at some point...

#2880622 - 09/21/17 08:23 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Barb and Co offer one as well called Cobalt. I was just considering purchasing it.

http://www.barbandco.com/store/p46/Cobalt_Forte_Serie.html

I'm still going through the manual in my off time. Lots of power under the hood.

I used Cobalt with my Forte 7; it's quite good..

#2880661 - 09/21/17 11:03 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: AnotherScott]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I would be somewhat surprised if you couldn't use some EQ to get a Montage piano to cut just as well. But... could be.

Oh, I'm sure. But in light of Yamaha's notoriously confusing UI, that might be easier said than done. The Forte has dedicated EQ knobs right there on the front panel. I love that. Every room is different and I often find myself tweaking the onboard EQ (via knobs like the Forte) of my Hammond SK2 during sound check.

When you say the Leslie sim is better, you mean better than the Forte, right?

Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear. The Montage isn't up to the level of a good clonewheel either, but it's better than I thought it would be.

or you can look at the Kronos for the FM, and a pretty good CX3 organ engine too.

The Kronos is cool but I am not impressed with the build quality to be honest. But it's a nice sounding board for sure. I have lots of FM including a DX7, SY77, SY99, and FS1r. I'm just excited that the Montage is essentially an SY99 on steroids.

#2880663 - 09/21/17 11:04 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

FKS, glad you're digging the Wurlies. Regarding the clavs, please take a look at the documentation. I tried to emulate the filter switches (always a challenge) and you have controls for attack and release sample volume. The attack is an acoustic sampling of the clav body. And, there's also the usual FX and compression. You might be able to dial them in better to your liking.

These should be the most detailed clavs available in hardware. They feature seven velocity layers (no loops) for each of the four pickups plus release and attack layers. Nord, for example, uses three velocity layers (looped) with neither attack nor release.

Busch.

I just installed these clavs last night.

WOW!

They sound absolutely killer! Great work, Busch!

#2880668 - 09/21/17 11:27 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One thing that surprised me; the organs in the Montage are actually pretty good. I wouldn't do an organ trio gig with them, but the Leslie sim is definitely better.

That's surprising to me too, since my last experience with Yamaha organ sounds was when I unexpectedly had nothing but a backlined CP4 for organ. The sounds themselves were stunningly cheesy; the Leslie sim on slow sounded just stupid; and I don't even know what the Leslie sim on fast sounded like, because I couldn't figure out how to change the speed. I tried every wheel, button, knob, slider, and pedal jack on the thing, as well as aftertouch. Then I tried some cursory menu diving. Never did figure it out. I learned afterward that while it can be done, it apparently requires deep menu diving. So from that I concluded that Yamaha had simply abandoned any pretense of providing usable organ sounds, and was effectively giving that up to the clonewheel market.

Busch, I hadn't realized that Purgatory Creek was you. So let me take the opportunity to say: frikkin' stellar job, man! I am picky as hell when it comes to Wurli sounds. My previous favorites were Broken Wurli for authenticity, and the SV1 for overall vibe and playability. Yours captures the best of both, and is my new favorite. And I look forward to further tweaking the Clavs at soundcheck later today.

#2880670 - 09/21/17 11:46 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
10k Club

The Forte has dedicated EQ knobs right there on the front panel. I love that. Every room is different and I often find myself tweaking the onboard EQ (via knobs like the Forte) of my Hammond SK2 during sound check.

I never thought I'd care about front panel EQ knobs, but I recently came to really appreciate them on my NE5D, as they helped me get the piano and EP sounds I was after, much more efficiently than any kind of menu-diving EQ would have. As I consider the possibility of swapping my Artis7 for an SP6, loss of EQ knobs would be an unfortunate tradeoff, along with the far fewer number of single-button-recall presets (might have to supplement with an app), and possibly the smaller screen (I won't fully be able to comment on that difference until I see how the interface is implemented on the SP6). One thing I haven't done, though, is used keyboard EQ to adapt to a room. But if you're using multiple keyboards, odds are you're better off doing that from your mixer/amp anyway.

#2880676 - 09/21/17 12:22 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

I just installed these clavs last night.

WOW!

They sound absolutely killer! Great work, Busch!

If you haven't hooked a rocker pedal up to the CC2 input yet you must do so immediately, then go have fun with the Dirty Wah clav programs brother Bill included. cool

dB

#2880679 - 09/21/17 12:41 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Grave Bryce]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I can't get the FC7 to work on CC2. I'll try again.

#2880703 - 09/21/17 01:41 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Don't, it doesn't work.

You want EV-5 or FV500L.

#2880719 - 09/21/17 02:23 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
rockinredeye Offline

Loc: Shreveport, LA
Mr. Anderson - I use two Yamaha FC7 pedals on my old PC3 because I like them. Built like a tank, long throw. Instead of rewiring them (I don't solder well), I got two Ό"stereo-to-RCA-L+R, one with male RCA, the other female RCA. Plug the pedal into one side, and instead of connecting the RCAs correctly, switch them left for right. Then you'll need another cord from the other Ό" jack to your keyboard. Works like a charm, no soldering. I put some heat shrink tubing around the RCAs and the jacks so they don't come apart.

#2880721 - 09/21/17 02:29 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: rockinredeye]
theshinenz Offline

Ive considered going back to Kurzweil a couple of times as absolutely love the sounds. Things I think Id miss most from my Montage are the setlist function and ease of finding patches. Is the forte the same as the PC3 where programs basically get scattered all over the place, no real easy way without software to categorize them? Also other than the favourites button theres no way of easily ordering a setlist other than writing the patch number down on my manual setlist and recalling it for each song? Can be a bit tedious when wanting to make quick changes. I remember the on PC3 search function but that also requires remebering the patch name.

#2880738 - 09/21/17 03:04 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: theshinenz]
rockinredeye Offline

On the PC3 there is Quick Access mode (banks of 10 programs or setups each), where I can put in the night's setlist of 45 songs in about 5 minutes. On the Forte, which I do not own, it looks like there is a similar function called Favorites that has 50 banks of 10 voices or songs. I would expect it to be just as easily usable as QA on the PC3.

#2880741 - 09/21/17 03:17 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Don't, it doesn't work.

You want EV-5 or FV500L.

I remember I put a new jack on my FC7 and rewired the plug (don't know exactly how anymore). It worked on the PC3.

#2880750 - 09/21/17 03:35 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I remember I put a new jack on my FC7 and rewired the plug (don't know exactly how anymore). It worked on the PC3.

That's 'cause nobody messes with Jack - not even Kurzweil.

#2880755 - 09/21/17 03:41 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DarkyLord]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Very, very cool hearing that these libraries are working out for people. Thanks so much.

Busch.

#2880792 - 09/21/17 07:09 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Don't, it doesn't work.

You want EV-5 or FV500L.

Am I recalling correctly that Ashby Solutions made an adapter that did that very thing?

#2880806 - 09/21/17 08:51 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Josh Paxton]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Am I recalling correctly that Ashby Solutions made an adapter that did that very thing?

yes, but Bruce doesn't make them anymore. Another forum member was making them (won't mention who it is in case they are doing it any more either). If the adapter is all that is needed you can just cut the cable and reverse the wires and tape it back up, no adapter needed.
Trent Reznor

#2880813 - 09/21/17 10:27 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
Phreakay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia

Don't, it doesn't work.

You want EV-5 or FV500L.

Jim, in my experience the FV500L transmits midi only over a limited range of its travel.

I am guessing you already have a Hammond EXP-50 that you use with your SK? That's what I purchased to replace my FV500L and it is the best long throw 10k pedal bar none.

#2880817 - 09/21/17 11:09 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: rockinredeye]
mojkarma Offline

Originally Posted By: rockinredeye
On the PC3 there is Quick Access mode (banks of 10 programs or setups each), where I can put in the night's setlist of 45 songs in about 5 minutes. On the Forte, which I do not own, it looks like there is a similar function called Favorites that has 50 banks of 10 voices or songs. I would expect it to be just as easily usable as QA on the PC3.

Unfortunately, I would say no. The problem with the favorites on the Forte is that the banks are selected with the channel +/- buttons and that's the only possibility. So, jumping from bank 1 to 25 requires that you press the button 25 times. Hopefully, Kurzweil would introduce with an update the possibility to dial the banks somehow directly. Another problem, at least for me is/was (I do not own the Forte anymore) that the patch names for the favorites are pretty small and hard to read. It is not easy on a stage to read which favorite button leads to which program/multi.
Since I also owned a pc3k, I would say that the quick access function on the pc3k was better implemented and more usable.

#2880821 - 09/22/17 12:15 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Phreakay]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Markay

I am guessing you already have a Hammond EXP-50 that you use with your SK? That's what I purchased to replace my FV500L and it is the best long throw 10k pedal bar none.

I do have the Hammond. I love it. But it stays permanently with my SK2. I may have to get another. Thanks!

#2880830 - 09/22/17 03:10 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DarkyLord]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA

Rudy is from the Netherlands; out there a 1/4" plug is called a jack.

#2880833 - 09/22/17 04:04 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: davedoerfler]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

yes, but Bruce doesn't make them anymore. Another forum member was making them (won't mention who it is in case they are doing it any more either). If the adapter is all that is needed you can just cut the cable and reverse the wires and tape it back up, no adapter needed.

Thanks Dave - I do make and sell the adapters. If anyone is interested PM me.
As we've talked about before the adapter only solves the polarity issue. A keyboard that truly needs a 10K pot pedal will get some "dead throw region" from the FC7 - even with the polarity inversion. I've been using it on the PC3x and I'm sure it works on the Forte. To me the "dead" throw region isn't too bad.

As I just shared with a couple of members I'm working on a little project for the FC-7 that will allow selectable 50K (normal), 25K or 10K operation as well as reverse polarity. That should allow the FC-7 to work very well with anything out there. No one needs or wants an extra box so this will be built into the pedal along with a 1/4" female jack for a removable cord. Will keep you posted. BTW this isn't rocket science - pretty simple basic electronics. I won't be offended if someone beats me to it.

#2880834 - 09/22/17 04:14 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: zephonic]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: zephonic

That sounds jacked up. But in about another month we'll see.
snax grin

#2880948 - 09/22/17 11:09 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: zephonic]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wait, a jack isn't called a jack in English? Why do we use an English word for this....? idk idk

Probably (movie quote) "because of the metric system"....

#2880951 - 09/22/17 11:10 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DarkyLord]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That sounds jacked up. But in about another month we'll see.
snax grin

We'll discuss this while having a beer Mark!

#2880973 - 09/22/17 12:25 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wait, a jack isn't called a jack in English? Why do we use an English word for this....? idk idk

Yeah, when I first moved here, I'd walk into a Sam Ash or Guitar Center and ask for 10 ft. jack cable. They'd look at me and go: "...err, what do you mean? Like a 1/4"?" Ah well, at least I didn't ask for a 3 meter cable.

I think out here 'jack' is more of a universal term for any connector; not specific to 1/4". At least, that's how I understand it.

jack = 1/4"
mini-jack = 3.5 mm (or 1/8", sometimes)
tulp = RCA
XLR = XLR (because some things just stay the same, you know)

#2880981 - 09/22/17 12:40 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: zephonic]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, when I first moved here, I'd walk into a Sam Ash or Guitar Center and ask for 10 ft. jack cable. They'd look at me and go: "...err, what do you mean? Like a 1/4"?" Ah well, at least I didn't ask for a 3 meter cable.

I think out here 'jack' is more of a universal term for any connector; not specific to 1/4". At least, that's how I understand it.

jack = 1/4"
mini-jack = 3.5 mm (or 1/8", sometimes)
tulp = RCA
XLR = XLR (because some things just stay the same, you know)

Ha! Thanks!

#2880994 - 09/22/17 01:21 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
rockinredeye Offline

Didn't mean to get people jacked up about jacks.
On bhphotovideo.com and monoprice.com, plugs are male, jacks are female.

#2881004 - 09/22/17 02:01 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: rockinredeye]
10k Club

Exactly. The typical usage I see is a plug is male, and the jack is the female thing you plug it into. (Maybe they should have called it a Jill?)

#2881006 - 09/22/17 02:06 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: AnotherScott]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ha, you learn something new every day. Thanks.

#2881307 - 09/24/17 12:55 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: zephonic]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

After three gigs with the souped-up Forte, I'm digging it hard.

All I've used are a couple of Dave Weiser's pianos and Busch's Wurli and Clavs, which obviously is nowhere near everything the board is made for. But for my needs, those upgrades have turned it from a board I could use to get through a gig if I absolutely had to, into the board I was hoping it would be when I got it. It has become seriously fun to play.

So my plan to sell it and get a Grandstage is very likely scrapped. If I happen to find a Grandstage in a store and end up liking it better, then I might, but at this point I would find that highly surprising. I'm thinking the Forte with a clonewheel on top will keep me happy for a good long time.

#2881315 - 09/24/17 01:54 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Josh Paxton]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One thing that surprised me; the organs in the Montage are actually pretty good. I wouldn't do an organ trio gig with them, but the Leslie sim is definitely better.

That's surprising to me too,
and me three ... I have tweaked my Leslie and it sounds better than this:

https://youtu.be/616uZSd6xmg.

I've heard no Yamaha sound anywhere near this good, so IMHO I would disagree with Jim's comparative assessment....

#2881321 - 09/24/17 03:26 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: rockinredeye]
matted stump Offline
10k Club

Speaking of set list functions - geez, I envy you guys who can use set lists.

My band leader hands out paper set lists at every gig. I promptly throw mine down because he inevitably starts changing things a few songs in.

Then there is a lot of frantic "what's next" going on, because he doesn't understand the concept of having to tell us what's coming since we can't trust him to follow the list. facepalm

#2881353 - 09/24/17 07:10 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: matted stump]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
smile
I worked with a band leader that enjoyed reading the crowd in real time.
If he saw something was going over, he'd start calling songs in similar tempo, year, genre, etc. playing the band like a DJ.
Never a setlist.
Everyone just watched and listened as last chorus came around, if someone missed it the guy next to him would clarify, fist went up for last time around on previous tune - two measures and into the next tune.
Kept things from getting stale, always spontaneous.
It was a good crew.

#2881367 - 09/24/17 10:35 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: matted stump]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Speaking of set list functions - geez, I envy you guys who can use set lists.

My band leader hands out paper set lists at every gig. I promptly throw mine down because he inevitably starts changing things a few songs in.

Then there is a lot of frantic "what's next" going on, because he doesn't understand the concept of having to tell us what's coming since we can't trust him to follow the list. facepalm

OT
Ah, bandleaders, my favorite subject facepalm

I just love when bandleader, tells the guys in band what song is.. maybe announces it to audience..
but doesn't bother to tell me, or at the 11th hour..

Another leader in a blues band, just starts playing his guitar... no count off, not key, no song title.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (09/24/17 10:36 PM)

#2881392 - 09/25/17 05:34 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's surprising to me too,
and me three ... I have tweaked my Leslie and it sounds better than this:

https://youtu.be/616uZSd6xmg.

I've heard no Yamaha sound anywhere near this good, so IMHO I would disagree with Jim's comparative assessment....

So you compare a stock Yamaha sound with a tweaked Kurz sound? I bet a tweaked Yamaha sound is better than the stock Kurz leslie...
www.echoesrocks.com

#2881396 - 09/25/17 06:07 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DanL]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

snax

#2881422 - 09/25/17 08:03 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DanL]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So you compare a stock Yamaha sound with a tweaked Kurz sound? I bet a tweaked Yamaha sound is better than the stock Kurz leslie...

You might be right, but I believe that a tweaked Kurz B3/leslie will sound better than a tweaked Yamaha.

#2881467 - 09/25/17 10:27 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Just used the 7 foot Forte piano on a Genesis tune I've been tracking (Afterglow) to have fun with the new Hammond. The tune's not supposed to have a piano part...it really sits in the track nicely, though - much better than any other Kurz piano I've tracked.

dB

#2881567 - 09/25/17 08:22 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Grave Bryce]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Just used the 7 foot Forte piano on a Genesis tune I've been tracking (Afterglow) to have fun with the new Hammond. The tune's not supposed to have a piano part...it really sits in the track nicely, though - much better than any other Kurz piano I've tracked.

dB

Listening now... Damn that's good man!

#2881572 - 09/25/17 08:47 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You might be right, but I believe that a tweaked Kurz B3/leslie will sound better than a tweaked Yamaha.

I concur. The Montage has a respectable ROMpler organ, and with it's highly detailed DSP it sounds quite good. Though when I gigged the Montage in 2016, I still used my iPad with Galileo - connected through audio and MIDI to the keyboard. I would choose KB3 or Kronos' CX3 over the Montage organs, if not using my Hammond. A modeled source with drawbar control still beats a well-detailed ROMpler

#2881574 - 09/25/17 09:04 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Thx, Dave! Needs a different vocalist, I think....guy does a nice job, but I think I know someone who can do it better.

Don't wanna derail, though. Back to regularly scheduled thread.

dB

#2881578 - 09/25/17 10:00 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
MP Hall of Fame Member

dB

love the Mellotron. love
Trent Reznor

#2881636 - 09/26/17 06:16 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: davedoerfler]
hipogrito Offline

Loc: East Northport,NY
Love "Afterglow"... and I think the singer does a great job btw....

Fran

#2881666 - 09/26/17 08:41 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: hipogrito]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Always loved that song: beautiful changes, beautiful melody.

Nice job Dave! Keep the singer smile

#2881668 - 09/26/17 08:46 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Al Quinn]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Al Quinn

Yup! Singer could be worse, much...much worse. wave

#2881677 - 09/26/17 09:30 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DarkyLord]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Al Quinn

Yup! Singer could be worse, much...much worse. wave

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, my friend Mark did a nice job - he's the guitar player as well - but I have another friend that wants a shot at it whom I suspect may knock it up a notch.

dB

#2882136 - 09/28/17 11:41 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Grave Bryce]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

I have another friend that wants a shot at it whom I suspect may knock it up a notch.

At least a notch. smile

dB

#2882240 - 09/28/17 07:19 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Grave Bryce]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Very cool DB!!!

#2887588 - 10/28/17 07:13 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: rickzjamm]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's a video I made demonstrating some of the acoustic / electric piano sounds.

#2887594 - 10/28/17 08:20 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Here's a video I made demonstrating some of the acoustic / electric piano sounds.

Factory,- or your΄s ... edited or created ?

A.C.

#2887596 - 10/28/17 08:49 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Al Coda]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Al Coda

Factory,- or your΄s ... edited or created ?

A.C.

The first piano is one of mine, part of my custom set. The Rhodes is factory but not one of mine, done by a brilliant guy named Rob Currier, a true Rhodes expert. The others are factory and mine.

Congrats to Jim on KILLING IT!!

#2887611 - 10/29/17 03:20 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
Nordude Offline

dB

Great track, dB!
And boy, I know for myself I've lusted a Forte(7) since the thing being announced. No second thought affiliation for me, merely the lack of unlimited financial resources.

#2887615 - 10/29/17 04:17 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Nordude]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Great job Dave & Jim!!!!!!

#2887621 - 10/29/17 06:41 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: rickzjamm]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Thanks, guys!

I've used the Forte on a few other tracks at this point, and am getting ready to take it out for it's first gig this weekend. I ported my extensive user collection from the PC3k8 - programs, setups, QA banks and a whole bunch of samples from the flash bank - almost completely effortlessly. The only problem I had was with setups that used factory programs that were in the K8 and not in the Forte. Took literally minutes to fix - saved the programs in questkon to user slots in the K8, transfereed them to the Forte, and reassigned the zones in the setup.

My favorite thing - I have yet to need the manual. If you know Kurz, the Forte makes complete sense.

dB

#2887630 - 10/29/17 09:26 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida

Great sounds, great playing. Off topic a bit: would you be willing to share a little about which video equipment you used? Which camera and software? Thanks!

#2887709 - 10/29/17 11:07 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Mike Davis]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mike Davis
Great sounds, great playing. Off topic a bit: would you be willing to share a little about which video equipment you used? Which camera and software? Thanks!

Sure. I borrowed a Sony SLT-A57 camera from a friend with a few lenses. It can record HD video at 60 frames per second. The audio went into Cubase.

To edit, I had to convert the MTS raw video files to MP4 because my editing software (Sony Vegas 13) doesn't recognize the raw files. Kind of a drag and not only requires an extra step but I'm not sure if they have to be re-compressed or what the conversion process does. But for web stuff, it's fine.

I load the exported stereo audio from Cubase into Vegas, line every thing up, and then start editing. All the titles and such are in Vegas.

#2887732 - 10/30/17 06:29 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Mike Davis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Mike Davis

Sure. I borrowed a Sony SLT-A57 camera from a friend with a few lenses. It can record HD video at 60 frames per second. The audio went into Cubase.

To edit, I had to convert the MTS raw video files to MP4 because my editing software (Sony Vegas 13) doesn't recognize the raw files. Kind of a drag and not only requires an extra step but I'm not sure if they have to be re-compressed or what the conversion process does. But for web stuff, it's fine.

I load the exported stereo audio from Cubase into Vegas, line every thing up, and then start editing. All the titles and such are in Vegas.

Very cool, and thank you. I had a feeling it was more than an iPhone smile Well done!

#2888739 - 11/05/17 07:25 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

More cool stuff on the way from Jim, including synths and some of my Rhodes presets... Stay tuned!

#2889047 - 11/07/17 04:44 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
ahutnick Offline

Loc: san francisco bay area
More videos will be cool and thanks Jim for telling what equipment you used for the video and besides your playing the sound quality was also very good definitely not an Iphone

#2889212 - 11/08/17 02:33 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: ahutnick]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hi Brothers:

I am thinking of a Forte 7 or SE as a controller/Workstation/Stage Piano and EP....
I’ve been studying the comparison chart on Kurzweil’s website and the only appreciable differences I can see are Flash Play and Sample Memory. Am I correct?

#2889276 - 11/08/17 08:34 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: jimkost2002]
ahutnick Offline

Loc: san francisco bay area
The Forte can load 3.3 GB into Flash and the SE can load 188 MB that's a big difference. If you can afford it go for the Forte7.I would also recommend buying yours through Dave Weiser and I just bought a Forte 7 from Dave which I am getting next week.

#2889277 - 11/08/17 08:39 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: jimkost2002]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: jimkost2002
Hi Brothers:

I am thinking of a Forte 7 or SE as a controller/Workstation/Stage Piano and EP....
I’ve been studying the comparison chart on Kurzweil’s website and the only appreciable differences I can see are Flash Play and Sample Memory. Am I correct?

Here's how I usually lay it out:
Both use Flash Play. Forte has more of it.

SE has Steinway and Yamaha acoustic pianos, one Rhodes, Clav, Harpsi, Celesta - all reduced in size. Has 188MB for user samples.

Forte has bigger/nicer versions of the above, plus a second Rhodes and a Wurly.
Has 3GB for user samples.

The other big difference is keyboard action. Forte and Forte7 have Fatar TP40L, SE has Fatar TP100.

The TP40L is a favorite of mine but I'm as biased as they come - I helped pick it out and created the velocity maps for it back when I worked for Kurz R&D. Heavy enough to impart realism for piano feel, but with a fast enough release that it can handle quick parts like organ, string runs, synth lines and xylophone 16ths - which is why I use hundreds of them in my current gig with Broadway shows.

The TP100 is positioned as a reduced weight, reduced cost hammer action. (Used in the Nord HP models.) For what it is I like the TP100 and am fine with playing it on a gig.

#2889289 - 11/09/17 03:13 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

thanks dave and ahutnick.....
totally answers my questions and concerns!

#2889758 - 11/11/17 11:37 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: jimkost2002]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

For any folks within striking distance of Michigan...

Jim will be rocking his Forte7 with Harvey Mason, the drummer from the freaking Headhunters and Manchild albums on Dec 11. A concentration of funk this strong could possibly cause time and space to fold in on themselves.

https://grcmc.org/theatre/node/31839/the...lawrence-barris

#2889761 - 11/11/17 11:45 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
jimkost2002 Offline
Gold Member

Wow..... excellent!
The Mase!
Have a great gig, Mr Alfedson!
...wish i was in strking distance of MI on 12/11!

#2891215 - 11/19/17 09:23 AM New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here's a new demo for y'all. All sounds from the Forte 7 except drums (played by the incredible Kevin Depree).

Sounds used include some of David Weiser's custom patches (available for free when you purchase a Forte through him).

https://youtu.be/jQvRGl2tLW8

#2891225 - 11/19/17 10:06 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Jim Alfredson]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Nicely done, Jim.
Proves two things to me.
A) Kurzweil continues to deliver great sounding boards chuck full of great presets.
B) Kurzweil is lucky to have you on board as an endorsing artist. The time and effort put into producing this demo is obvious.

It would be nice to see them release a 73 or 76k synth action yet for those that prefer it on a synth and could do without the weight of the TP-40. But maybe that's the hole the Artis7 fills. I know there are guys that like a 61k synth, but I find it a tad small for splits.

#2891257 - 11/19/17 02:05 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: ElmerJFudd]
b3plyr Offline

Yes, a great demo! Jim, what KB3 did you use? Stock, kurz, one of Dave's, or something you tweaked.

I too have a Forte, but it doesn't sound the same when I play it as when Jim plays his. Must be a defective Forte (lol). Seriously, a great gigging keyboard.

#2891267 - 11/19/17 02:48 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: b3plyr]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sweet, short...( maybe too short ) demo! Hard to tell what KB3 program is being used but, it’s good in the mix. I am sure DW will let us know.

#2891309 - 11/19/17 06:27 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: aellison62]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I took one of Dave's presets and just used one "drawbar", the 8'. That's an old soul music / gospel trick. Think Charles Hodges on those classic Al Green sides.

#2891342 - 11/19/17 09:57 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Jim Alfredson]
UnderGroundH Offline

Loc: Keratsini, Hellas
Great demo, Jim !!!
Great sound and playing !!!

#2891400 - 11/20/17 07:25 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Nicely done, Jim.
Proves two things to me.
A) Kurzweil continues to deliver great sounding boards chuck full of great presets.
B) Kurzweil is lucky to have you on board as an endorsing artist. The time and effort put into producing this demo is obvious.

It would be nice to see them release a 73 or 76k synth action yet for those that prefer it on a synth and could do without the weight of the TP-40. But maybe that's the hole the Artis7 fills. I know there are guys that like a 61k synth, but I find it a tad small for splits.

There's nothing cooler than seeing/hearing a cat like Jim ripping it up with the sounds I designed. (Although I should note the bass sound in this vid was created by my good friend Geoff Gee.)

Re 73 and 61 note boards: I personally am a fan. But from my experience working for keyboard manufacturers, in the flagship/workstation category there's a huge disparity between sales numbers for 88/76 weighted and everything else (61, 73, 76 semi or synth weighted). The larger weighted boards sell in far greater numbers - the difference is staggering.

Still my fingers are crossed - I always love to have the smaller versions available.

Edited by Dave Weiser (11/20/17 03:48 PM)

#2891401 - 11/20/17 07:27 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Dave Weiser]
teashea Offline

Jim is so good at these demos.......

#2891406 - 11/20/17 07:38 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: teashea]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So freaking cool. Nice video editing, good sound quality, and very cool playing!

Good work Jim!

#2891486 - 11/20/17 03:20 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: RudyS]
Griswold Offline

Loc: Westchester County, NY
Thanks Jim for putting this together & all of your hard work!

I am really enjoying playing the Forte & I'm particularly fond of some of the Rhodes sounds. Dave's programming is superb & I am so grateful for his continuing assistance. Yes Dave I am warming up to the action & it is very fast! The sound sets that Busch adapted for the Forte are also quite amazing. I can't stop playing that 73 Stage. It's a fascinating era for technology in which we live.

Thanks again,
Larry

#2891540 - 11/20/17 07:32 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Griswold]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm really digging this keyboard. I really think it deserves more consideration.

#2891543 - 11/20/17 07:49 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Lady Gaia Offline

Loc: Seattle
I'm just delighted Kurzweil is getting some recognition again. I've been a convert since the K2000 and keep eyeing the Forte, which is clearly a huge step forward from my aging K2500X. The Forte's OS-driven evolution from pricey stage piano to full-fledged inheritor of the VAST synth legacy has been impressive and reminiscent of their past commitment to hardware platforms.

What's next? I can only assume the peculiar omission of sequencing from the Forte when it's present in the Forte SE isn't intended to be a permanent state of affairs.

#2891580 - 11/21/17 01:41 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Lady Gaia]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Yup this is probably the one keyboard I GAS after (mainly because of the 76 weighted keys). I can't really justify it at the moment, but maybe one day...

Cheers, Mike.

#2892917 - 11/28/17 12:43 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: stoken6]
Meta Offline

Loc: Colorado
+1000 on an optional Forte 76 (not 73) _without the hammer action_.

It would be lighter to carry and better for synth and organ work. And I personally have no problem playing piano/EP parts on my PC361 synth-action keyboard.

For those who need hammer action, the current Forte exists. For those of us who prefer not to lug that around, it would be nice to have a choice of actions in the 76 note Forte. (Artis doesn't cut it due to lack of aftertouch, less sample memory, no user sampling and less DSP power.)

Also, +1000 for adding sequencing back to the Forte. The PC3 has it, why did it go away in the new flagship? It's bad enough to lose breath control and ribbon control inputs, but sequencing is software which could be added back.

So either beef up the Artis7 to Forte specs OR add non-weighted action option and sequencing to the Forte7. Either way, take my money...

#2892952 - 11/28/17 03:51 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Meta]
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: out in the sticks
Originally Posted By: Meta
+1000 on an optional Forte 76 (not 73) _without the hammer action_.

I think the next big thing coming will be a step up from FORTE and not a 76 synth action FORTE.

FORTE is in between the PC3 series and some future product.
"Flash Play" is materialized already and next step is using the new DSP chips (IIRC these were called LENA) throughout the (partially upcoming) product range.
We already find at least 1 LENA chip in FORTE and FORTE SE.
It made happen KB3 not using the polyphony it did in PC3 series as also enabled usage of twice the FX blocks inside a program and setup and compared to a PC3 series machine.

We might see more derivative products like SP6 before a new flagship will be introduced though.

A.C.

#2898930 - 01/01/18 11:11 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Al Coda]
keyman27 Offline

Loc: United States
Just how weighted are the weighted keys on the Forte7? Is it forgiving to players like me who are used to plastic and have no piano-mashing chops? Or is the action on the heavy side?

#2898935 - 01/01/18 11:29 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: keyman27]
10k Club

TP40L, on the light side for a weighted action.

#2898960 - 01/01/18 02:14 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: AnotherScott]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Comparable light action to the Yamaha DGX 660??

#2898965 - 01/01/18 03:16 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: I-missRichardTee]
10k Club

I only played the TP40L briefly, quite some time ago. From that memory, I think it's better feeling than Yamaha GHS, a bit more "positive" or "precise" feeling, there's something I find a little "sloppy" in the GHS. I couldn't really say whether one felt noticeably "lighter" or "heavier" than the other.

#2899025 - 01/01/18 07:58 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: AnotherScott]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

That's how I usually describe it. And also "a hammer action that's very friendly for non-piano type parts".

For anyone who wants to try out this action you can check out Kurz PC3x, PC3K8 or A8, PC3LE88, these all use the same action. Also Nord Stage 88 and Nord Piano, they use the VERY similar TP40m action.

#2909300 - 02/13/18 11:13 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Dave Weiser]
kad Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Hey All!!

I'm a bit a late to the party with this thread, but I'm seriously considering condensing my K-series and PC3 series boards to a single Forte 8 for live performance. Can anyone tell me if the Forte can load K-series programs and setups? I suppose I could convert them to PC3 format, then import them into the Forte, but I'm wondering how much info would be lost in the double translation...

Thanks so much!!

Kirk

#2909322 - 02/13/18 12:31 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Forte looks good. Kind of a steep price point but I guess you get what you pay for.

noblevibes.com

#2909327 - 02/13/18 01:01 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: kad]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: kad
I suppose I could convert them to PC3 format, then import them into the Forte, but I'm wondering how much info would be lost in the double translation...

That was the way I did it. Worked fine. Only problem I had was that some factory programs from the PC3 I had used in some setups didn't make it to the Forte until I saved them to a user slot in the PC3 first.

dB

#2909332 - 02/13/18 01:13 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Grave Bryce]
kad Offline
Platinum Member

That's great to know - thank you Dave!!

#2909406 - 02/13/18 07:59 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: kad]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hi Kirk, it's been so long ! Are you still playing around Cincy with your long time band ? I hope you're still doing those fantastic Brian Wilson type vocal arrangements. Hope all's well. wave

#2909799 - 02/15/18 06:35 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Dave Ferris]
kad Offline
Platinum Member

Hi Kirk, it's been so long ! Are you still playing around Cincy with your long time band ? I hope you're still doing those fantastic Brian Wilson type vocal arrangements. Hope all's well. wave

Hey Dave - so great to find you still here!! It's been quite a while since I've posted here - lots of "life" going on. wink Hope you are still doing those wonderful piano reharms!! I've not done a new a capella arrangement in quite a while - just no time for it. The band split in two directions - the guitarist, bass player and myself formed more of an acoustic-type act with a focus on vocal harmonies. So I still have somewhat of a hand in vocal arranging. smile
Great to hear from you!!

Kirk

#2909803 - 02/15/18 06:51 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: kad]
kad Offline
Platinum Member

Just an FYI to anyone considering the Forte...

I'll be getting one soon, and I've been working with Dave Weiser. Incredibly great guy!!! He's answered all of my questions in voluminous detail and with a great sense of humor, not to mentioned that he helped DESIGN the Forte and PC3. His prices are excellent, and he offers many extras in terms of soundware, etc. He most definitely has my business.

And no, he did not pay me to write this... wink wink

Kirk

#2910542 - 02/18/18 06:52 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: kad]
scales Offline

Loc: Daphne, AL
It appears that Kurzweil, according to their website will be providing a sequencer with their next OS upgrade

#2910736 - 02/19/18 02:26 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: kad]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

Just got my Forte 7 a couple of days ago. What a fabulous digitalpiano/rhodes/wurli/clav/synthesizer/stringmachine/sampleplayer/multitimbral recording sound source.... it is whatever instrument you want it to be.

Before I made my purchase decision I spent quite a bit of time trying many of the currently hot keyboards like Nord Stage 3, Korg Grandstage, Vox Continental, Yamaha Montaqe, Roland RD2000. All are good instruments, but compared to the Forte every single one has certain limitations which were individual dealbreakers for me. Only the Forte ticked all boxes for my needs.

And Dave Weiser indeed is a great guy as already mentioned in an earlier post. His support and his custom Forte presets can't be praised highly enough. Dave's EP sounds in particular make me forget any Rhodes and Wurli software instruments.

Here's a video showing all kinds of 80's synthsounds the Forte is also capable of:

https://youtu.be/XBiOMcnZoBA

#2912811 - 03/03/18 06:33 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: TomKittel]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

One suggestion I took from the SP6 thread is to download some of the Forte extra packs into my Forte 7. Within the Forte piano pack is an updated version of the old PC3 Horowitz Grand. That is one great sounding piano, and it plays well too. It's similar to Forte's Legacy Piano, based on the "old" triple-strike program, but it has slightly different FX settings and KSR string resonance. It sounds great. There are also others like the Recital Piano which add new piano flavors to the Forte.

The Forte is such an amazing versatile instrument, a real-jack-of-all-trades. The only regret I have is that I didn't jump on the Forte bandwagon much earlier.

#2912841 - 03/03/18 09:26 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: TomKittel]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Dave Weiser's 7 foot "Gig Piano" patch is my go to piano patch due to his EQ setup. I play a very mellow/acoustic gig with a singer, acoustic guitarist and cajon and we play through a Bose L1 Model 2 system. Dave Weiser's gig piano patch works very well for this amplification.

#2913669 - 03/08/18 06:41 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: jeffinpghpa]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have to say I reviving this old thread but Dave is a lot of help. Heck of a nice guy concerning the Forte questions I had.

noblevibes.com

#2913827 - 03/08/18 09:38 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Outkaster]
Lady Gaia Offline

Loc: Seattle
I couldn’t agree more. I didn’t hesitate to order my Forte through Dave when I finally decided to jump in after NAMM this year, and I’m glad I did. It took decades to settle on a worthy replacement for my beloved K2500X, but the accumulation of incremental improvements over the years and the promised reintroduction of every major workstation feature into the Forte line finally did the trick.

What I don’t understand is why so few manufacturers are competing with something similarly flexible and feature rich. Roland and Yamaha don’t seem interested. Korg’s Kronos is pretty much the only other game in town and I never did warm to the sound or touchscreen interface.

The legendary intimidation factor of VAST might keep the club somewhat exclusive, but at this point it feels like an old friend and I appreciate the refined user interface on the much denser Forte display.

Now my biggest challenge is deciding what to pair it with. I finally let go of an Ensoniq EPS I kept for even longer as a lightweight action poly aftertouch controller. Again, nobody seems interested in offering anything in that space, either. So settle for something less in that department, or take a leap of faith with a Seaboard RISE?

#2914223 - 03/11/18 12:03 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Lady Gaia]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

You all are very kind. I'm grateful to know so many of you as colleagues and friends.

My Gig Pianos, improved B3s and new EPs are free for anyone who wants 'em. Just shoot me an email. (Not a forum message, I rarely check those.)

I'll also throw in the upright tack piano that I made for Brian Wilson's SMiLE album and a few synths that I did for The Who's last tour as well. wink

weiserdav@gmail.com

#2914224 - 03/11/18 12:15 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Dave Weiser]
zxcvbnm098 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southern Calif.
You all are very kind. I'm grateful to know so many of you as colleagues and friends.

My Gig Pianos, improved B3s and new EPs are free for anyone who wants 'em. Just shoot me an email. (Not a forum message, I rarely check those.)

I'll also throw in the upright tack piano that I made for Brian Wilson's SMiLE album and a few synths that I did for The Who's last tour as well. wink

weiserdav@gmail.com

And if you needed more proof of how cool this forum is?? It doesn't get better than this......

#2915262 - 03/16/18 12:23 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: zxcvbnm098]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

Here's another video showing the Forte's capabilities mimicking Toto and Queen synth sounds from the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAITKAHLzkA

#2917373 - 03/25/18 11:39 PM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: TomKittel]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

This weekend I played around with Bill's Purgatory vintage key collection and I am blown away by Bill's Clavinet D6 sounds. I think someone already mentioned it somewhere here but it bears repeating: these Clavinet sounds are some of the finest, fattest and most authentic you can find in any hardware instrument. Most other Clavs like those in my former Nord Stage 2 are sounding anemic in comparison. Highly recommended!

#2917403 - 03/26/18 06:08 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: TomKittel]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tom they are nice. I was looking at them this weekend.

noblevibes.com

#2917468 - 03/26/18 11:25 AM Re: New Kurzweil Forte 7 demo [Re: Outkaster]
poserp Offline

Also, plugging VAST in general as it really is an amazing synthesis engine.

For instance, here is a "supersaw" Program made in a uniquely VAST way, using three Layers and (I gotta check my notes) IIRC 2 DSP oscillators. The extra "saws" are a by-product of some fun stuff with WRAP and other DSP functions:

In a track context (all sounds besides drums):

So, among other things, this has "mix" and "detune" sliders that work in a similar way to the JP8xxx.

Here is a Juno-esque Program, with various sliders assigned to different duties, and with the "Juno" signal path put on top of things like FM and aliasing:

And, in context in a short demo:

This Program is fashioned after the Arp Odyssey, to provide some contrast to the more "tame" Juno sound, (poorly) playing a rather famous bass line:

https://soundcloud.com/poserp/headhunters-chameleon-bass-synth-demo

And, for another contrast, the lead sound from "Lucky Man":

https://soundcloud.com/poserp/lucky-man-demo

There's a whole host of other sounds (from tame to truly wild and crazy) it can do too, of course, and you can do fun performance tricks like "patch remain":

And, all of this is on the PC3; the Forte adds all the fun of 16 more "units" of effects, applying effects chains to the audio input, sample loading, and so on.

So between the awesome programming of the Kurzweil crew, Dave Weiser, and the capabilities of VAST itself, you have about the closest thing to a starship that money can buy (that's available publicly, anyways).

Edited by poserp (03/26/18 11:27 AM)

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner