Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2879733 - 09/16/17 10:54 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
I can vouch for the efficacy of Dave's gig piano sounds. When I used them on my Casio PX-5S for the first time (support gig at a medium-large venue), after the check, the guy running sound remarked to me that it was the first digital piano he didn't have to do a major EQ job on.

KC Island
#2879742 - 09/17/17 12:04 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Aidan]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
My friend, Robin Swenson just replaced his PC-3 X (?) after a really long time with the Forte 88. He won't use anything -piano wise- other then Kurzweil.

Here's a FB video (if you can see it) the day before Irma with Rob taking a fair amount of choruses on Freddy the Freeloader.

That's his nutty, lovable wife, vocalist Janelle Sadler, shooting the video and popping her head in and out of the video.

Sorry for the long copy & paste - I couldn't get a clickable link:
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-29/21470530_138773076736318_5296214813687414784_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InNkIn0%3D&oh=f61e602f4022f5fab9a1f0e36ca92817&oe=59BE5189

2005 NY Steinway D

#2879750 - 09/17/17 02:11 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: wd8dky]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: wd8dky
It's funny; the Forte has been out there since late 2015 (2 years almost), and only now it's feeling loved?

I had the same thought - sleeping bear awakes. I figured it was the weight that made these more attractive for studio use and less so for gigging.

#2879754 - 09/17/17 02:36 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Markyboard]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I got a Forte 7 shortly after they were released, then just never ended up bonding with it, and it has mostly sat in the closet since then waiting to be sold. I had been planning to finally sell it this month and replace it with a Grandstage, but now these third party sounds have got me seriously rethinking that. I just applied to the FB group to research further. Thanks, everyone, for all the info.

#2879783 - 09/17/17 08:18 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Markyboard]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: Markyboard
It's funny; the Forte has been out there since late 2015 (2 years almost), and only now it's feeling loved?

I had the same thought - sleeping bear awakes. I figured it was the weight that made these more attractive for studio use and less so for gigging.

For me it was about timing. I'd just bought a CP4, and my NS2/73 was still viable... so another $4500 (CDN) board, sight unseen (no one stocks them up here) was a bit much! Now that I've moved on from those, it appears to me we are entering a new phase which could be "the end of hardware," so it's VI from now on. Nothing else seems to make sense in the big picture.

#2879785 - 09/17/17 08:22 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: MoodyBluesKeys]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I've been biting my tongue since this was first posted. Many people shit on this model because other than the new pianos that were installed it was seen as mostly a PC3 + Kore 64 carryover. Now Jim Alfredson endorses the board and suddenly it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now people fall in line. It's almost comical .... Now suddenly the pianos (acoustic and electric) that didn't (previously reported) sit well in the mix are fabulous and wonderful. I'm not disagreeing with Jim (I actually agree with him as I own a PC3); I just don't need to have Jim or anyone else's blessing of the keyboard as apparently many do. No different than Joey D endorsing every other Hammond clone model that comes out. Joey D blessed the board so it must be good..... crazy

#2879788 - 09/17/17 08:48 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave
Now Jim Alfredson endorses the board and suddenly it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now people fall in line.

Way off base here me thinks. I-MissRT started the recent interest with potential replacement of his ailing PC88. But it was dB who just bought one recently and obviously threatened a number of folks with triple strike..err.. bannination if they didn't "fall in line" facepalm rolleyes

#2879789 - 09/17/17 08:52 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Markyboard]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
OYHPR grin
snax

#2879791 - 09/17/17 08:55 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Boston, MA
I've been biting my tongue since this was first posted. Many people shit on this model because other than the new pianos that were installed it was mostly a PC3 + Kore 64 carryover. Now Jim Alfredson endorses the board and suddenly it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now people fall in line. It's almost comical .... Now suddenly the pianos (acoustic and electric) that didn't (previously reported) sit well in the mix are fabulous and wonderful. I'm not disagreeing with Jim (I actually agree with him as I own a PC3); I just don't need to have Jim or anyone else's blessing of the keyboard as apparently many do. No different than Joey D endorsing every other Hammond clone model that comes out. Joey D blessed the board so it must be good..... crazy

Hey DD hope you're well man! Ah I would totally agree were we talking about the Kurz Artis. IT really just is a repackaged PC3 platform with KORE 64 option. But I would gently point out some fairly big things that you're overlooking with the Forte, many of which address feedback from the PC3 customers.

It's a completely new hardware platform, capable of playing multi-GB samples without a hard drive. And it boots up in under 30 seconds. That alone is pretty badass.

It's got 16GB of new samples - Steinway, Yamaha, Rhodes73/77, Wurly, Clav, Harpsi, Celesta and Glock - that's a massive undertaking for a small company. Definitely addresses all the folks who (righty) complained that the old PC3 triple strike piano was a bit long in the tooth. Huge step up from PC3's combined total of 256MB.

New large color display with a better UI. A major complaint about the PC3 was the old-looking display. Tons of software work to get this going. (I was shocked when I worked at Kurz to find out how difficult this work was.)

3GB of user sample memory - this is at the high end for hardware keyboards. A huge leap from PC3K's 128MB of user memory.

I'd go out on a limb and say the above items seem to make the Forte stand pretty far apart from the older PC3 series platform.

There are of course other items that while not earth-shattering are still pretty cool: piano string resonance (best model I've heard), half-damper, twice the FX power of PC3, KB3 uses its own polyphony (won't eat up any of the 128 voices of sample playback), ability to assign the buttons above slides in program mode, etc.

And one last thing that makes me very happy - Kurz has been releasing a series of small but useful sound banks free of charge. The Patch Kreator is especially cool, has the machine set up with a 2 oscillator into 1 filter synth architecture with params assigned to sliders. Has been very well received.

The Kurz engineers were smart with how they approached this new platform. Had they originally set out to do a "K3000", it would have been huge, very expensive and we'd still probably be waiting for its release!

Instead they released the Forte as a simple-ish stage piano with limited features. Once the new platform was stable and tested, they began adding features. Meanwhile the thing was selling and could bring in revenue. Since the first OS, the amount of features they've added has been huge - full VAST/fx editing, piano res, 3GB user memory, half pedaling, etc - amounts to pretty much the biggest/best free OS upgrade in the history of keyboarding. smile

And on top of everything they managed to keep the cost and weight below Montage and Kronos.

What Kurz doesn't have is a ton of marketing resources. Marketing is what gets people talking online about keyboards. Endorsing artists like Jim can *also* get people talking online about keyboards, with a much better bang to buck ratio than advertising.

So you're correct that more people are talking about it due to having a badass (and well loved) endorsing artist. But it certainly doesn't mean the thing is a repackaged PC3 or that it wasn't well received. Not that reviews are everything, but it did get two of the most positive reviews I've ever seen in Keyboard magazine and they were both before the big OS upgrades. http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/review-kurzweil-forte-7/58140

Hope this all sounds reasonable?

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/17/17 09:09 AM)

#2879800 - 09/17/17 09:44 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Markyboard]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Way off base here me thinks. I-MissRT started the recent interest with potential replacement of his ailing PC88.

If it makes anyone feel better, I still highly prefer the CP4 over the Forte for piano. smile For an all around one keyboard, of course there's no comparison between the Yamaha & Kurzweil. Although the Ac. Bass patch on the CP4 is tough to beat , except by the Montage.

I posted that video specifically for T, thinking he might dig the current Forte piano sound in a more Blues/Jazz context.

Originally Posted By: FunkKeyStuff
I got a Forte 7 shortly after they were released, then just never ended up bonding with it, and it has mostly sat in the closet since then waiting to be sold. I had been planning to finally sell it this month and replace it with a Grandstage,

If I had to choose between the two, again for piano only, I'd go with the Korg. Fatar action, while certainly playable on the Forte, is simply not my preference for attempting to emulate an acoustic piano on an electronic keyboard.

However also again, it's pretty clear the Forte is a more versatile all in one keyboard then the Grand Stage.

2005 NY Steinway D

#2879834 - 09/17/17 02:21 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
RABid Offline
10k Club

This is one that I really struggled with. I've always wanted a Kurz, I needed a DP, and it was time to buy. However, it is $1500 more than an RD2000, there are a lot of scary reports on the web about modern Kurzweil build quality, and there really isn't anything new and exciting with this release. I finally went the safe and comfortable route with an RD2000. I agree with the point that when Jim endorsed the Forte it was suddenly more desirable to a lot of people. That is an indication of the respect people on this forum have for Jim.

#2879839 - 09/17/17 02:41 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RABid]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: RABid
This is one that I really struggled with. I've always wanted a Kurz, I needed a DP, and it was time to buy. However, it is $1500 more than an RD2000, there are a lot of scary reports on the web about modern Kurzweil build quality, and there really isn't anything new and exciting with this release. I finally went the safe and comfortable route with an RD2000. I agree with the point that when Jim endorsed the Forte it was suddenly more desirable to a lot of people. That is an indication of the respect people on this forum have for Jim.

I thought it would not be unreasonable to say that going from 256MB in PC3 to 16GB of new samples in Forte (and all the other items in my above reply) in a machine that boots in 30 sec could possibly qualify as "something new and exciting".

It is more expensive than RD2000 (which is an excellent board in my opinion) but that's not what it's competing against. Its competitors are Montage, Kronos and Nord Stage and it's priced below those.

Build quality and incidence of QC problems on Forte has been quite good. I've been in touch with hundreds of Forte owners and have seen/heard almost zero QC problems. There were definitely quality issues w some of the older stuff, like weights falling out of keys in the old K25 and PC88, but that's been addressed with the newer TP40 action.

One good bit of news is that at present there are a lot of really good choices. Especially when comparing to 10 or 15 years ago. Forte, Kronos, Montage and Stage are all amazing boards as is the RD2000. Side note: I think the entire industry owes Korg a bit of thanks - the Kronos helped light a fire under the asses of all manufacturers to up their game.

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/17/17 02:46 PM)

#2879843 - 09/17/17 02:59 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dave Weiser
.... Side note: I think the entire industry owes Korg a bit of thanks - the Kronos helped light a fire under the asses of all manufacturers to up their game.

Honestly, that might be my biggest reason for not going with the Forte. I already have the Kronos 2 73. I don't really need a do-all keyboard. Just an 88 focused on piano that also lets me control external gear.

#2879844 - 09/17/17 03:02 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
I've been biting my tongue since this was first posted. Many people shit on this model because other than the new pianos that were installed it was mostly a PC3 + Kore 64 carryover. Now Jim Alfredson endorses the board and suddenly it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and now people fall in line. It's almost comical .... Now suddenly the pianos (acoustic and electric) that didn't (previously reported) sit well in the mix are fabulous and wonderful. I'm not disagreeing with Jim (I actually agree with him as I own a PC3); I just don't need to have Jim or anyone else's blessing of the keyboard as apparently many do. No different than Joey D endorsing every other Hammond clone model that comes out. Joey D blessed the board so it must be good..... crazy

I sure haven't observed the same thing. There have been many threads about the Forte and a good deal of interest. If there's been a negative consensus (Ugh, I hate group think anyhow) regarding the pianos or anything else, I'm not aware of it. The Montage has been out for 1.5 years and I've seen FAR less interest in that instrument. Also consider you can walk into any Guitar Center, demo a Montage and walk out with one. I probably can't try out a Kronos or Forte anywhere in Seattle, but I can find a Montage at virtually every store.

The new APs/EPs are a HUGE improvement over the PC3, IMO. Plus now you have that 3.3 GB of user flash all in a reasonably priced instrument.

I takes a while for these keyboard to take hold.

Busch.

#2879863 - 09/17/17 05:37 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Dave, I've been onboard with the keyboard from the beginning. That's kind of my point. There were lots of dumping about the keyboard. Two years later Jim A comes along and endorses the keyboard and now many see the light. The keyboard has had full VAST editing for a year. And now there are third party designers entering the picture. It always was a great keyboard and Kurz continues to improve it. You don't need to convince me, and you never did. Now that Jim has given the thumbs up all will be well from the non-believers. That's kind of the sad part of it all; it shouldn't need to be done that way...... That's my point.

#2879869 - 09/17/17 06:13 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Delaware Dave]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Two years later Jim A comes along and endorses the keyboard and now many see the light.

Huh? You keep repeating this. I don't see it. idk

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2879876 - 09/17/17 08:41 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: mate stubb]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
I can only speak for me.

I've been a Kurzweil fan since I learned to drive the K250 in the mid-80s when it first came out, and sold more of them in the US than anyone...except this one guy named Chuck in Fort Wayne, Indiana... smile

I worked for them for a short period in the 80s in MA (Bob Moog signed my Mini when both he and I were working there) and a little while in the 90s in CA. I had K1000 in a bunch of forms (along with a few of the 1000 modules) and even wrote a few factory programs for that series. I've owned more versions of K2000 than I can count (I was even in on the early focus groups that led to the product), have been using PC3 as my main live board for almost ten years, have a PC3K8 in my studio, and decided to add a Forte to the arsenal after having a nice conversation with my buddy Dave Weiser (who I've known for more than a minute). Means I can sell my PC3 now...and I got a much better instrument and keybed in the process.

The fact that I could port my PC3K8's programs, custom samples, setups and Quick Access over to the Forte using a thumb drive was certainly a plus...and, of course, I'm somewhat familiar with the engine, and have yet to have to open the manual.

Don't get me wrong - I like Jim A and all...but he had precisely zero to do with me just getting mine. Matter of fact, now I'm wondering if he copied me... idk poke grin

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio

#2879877 - 09/17/17 08:50 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Bryce]
Josh Paxton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Jim's influence over me is so great that it works retroactively; it went back in time and convinced me to get a Forte before he did!

I haven't done the OS update yet, but I did set it up and dig into it again today to see if my perspective had changed since I last played it. Nope. Out of the box it still leaves me cold. But I'm intrigued enough by some of the 3rd party sounds I've heard that I'm willing to spend a few bucks and give them a shot before liquidating it.

#2879901 - 09/18/17 01:06 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Josh Paxton]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: FunkKeyStuff
Jim's influence over me is so great that it works retroactively; it went back in time and convinced me to get a Forte before he did!

I haven't done the OS update yet, but I did set it up and dig into it again today to see if my perspective had changed since I last played it. Nope. Out of the box it still leaves me cold. But I'm intrigued enough by some of the 3rd party sounds I've heard that I'm willing to spend a few bucks and give them a shot before liquidating it.

Update that OS man. It's really, really, really easy and painless. And then you can load the piano sounds I sent you. smile

#2879903 - 09/18/17 01:21 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Way off base here me thinks. I-MissRT started the recent interest with potential replacement of his ailing PC88.

If it makes anyone feel better, I still highly prefer the CP4 over the Forte for piano. smile For an all around one keyboard, of course there's no comparison between the Yamaha & Kurzweil. Although the Ac. Bass patch on the CP4 is tough to beat , except by the Montage.

I posted that video specifically for T, thinking he might dig the current Forte piano sound in a more Blues/Jazz context.

Thank you for that.
Honestly , a few hours at GC this afternoon, and " the jury is still out ".

Of course, Forte is not at GC.
And GC sucks if one is seeking apples to apples comparisons.

I remember ages ago, taking a long time to finally commit to the Roland jv 1000. It was a single combo/ setup/ performance, that finally got to me.. and then I had to have it.

None of the board at La Mesa CA GC are in a proper amp setup.
The Roland 2000 is in a Roland 550
Nord is in a single tiny near field. and so on.

I will probably continue to not be entirely bitten by the GAS bug, for the foreseeable future.
I have to be really taken by a single combo/ setup/ performance
before I become compelled to buy.

I have enough disappointments with previous purchases to prevent "consumation" of a board.
But the moment those endorphins kick in, I will say so here.

The closest I have come has been Montage. But I have NOT heard a combination of bass, keys, pad, to more or less force me, to buy it.

#2879926 - 09/18/17 05:08 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I don't consider the Montage to be anything like the Forte or Kronos. The big difference is the Kronos is designed to integrate with my entire rig. The Montage is designed to stand alone.

#2880129 - 09/19/17 12:07 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RABid]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lansing, MI
Not sure how to reply to Delaware Dave's posts. The way I see it, if I can help someone make a good decision about a piece of gear because they trust me due to the reputation I've carefully built over the decades... isn't that a good thing?

Besides... I've always wanted a Kurzweil. They are cool! smile

#2880136 - 09/19/17 02:34 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee

None of the board at La Mesa CA GC are in a proper amp setup.
The Roland 2000 is in a Roland 550
Nord is in a single tiny near field. and so on.

I will probably continue to not be entirely bitten by the GAS bug, for the foreseeable future.
I have to be really taken by a single combo/ setup/ performance
before I become compelled to buy.
The closest I have come has been Montage. But I have NOT heard a combination of bass, keys, pad, to more or less force me, to buy it.

Well after hearing the RD-2000 through the infamous KC-550 and any Nord Piano through the little cheezeball monitors I'm accustomed to seeing/hearing at GC - it's no wonder you continually to be underwhelmed and not bitten by GAS. wink

Have you ever considered taking a pair of even mediocre phones in to listen to keyboards ?

What did you hear the Montage through ? Also consider the 88 is a formidable beast to schlep. I believe Allan Evett and one other fellow here (much younger) decided it was a bit too much. Allan went down to the RD-2000, 48lbs. and less girthy, from the 64 lbs. and mucho girth on the flagship Yamaha.

I'm sure the Montage 8 is a great live ax for Chick or Michael McDonald --- especially when their road crew springs into action and starts earning their dough. wink

Like I posted yesterday
The Forte is another animal altogether removed from the PC88 - both action and sound. The only thing they share in remotely being similar is the name stenciled on it. If Kurz pianos are your thing , you should really try to play one somehow, somewhere..

2005 NY Steinway D

#2880164 - 09/19/17 06:31 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Originally Posted By: Jim Alfredson
The way I see it, if I can help someone make a good decision about a piece of gear because they trust me due to the reputation I've carefully built over the decades... isn't that a good thing?

Yeah, I think it's a good thing. I assume that when someone plays well they have a discerning ear and a need for an inspiring visceral experience. To be honest there are so many folks on this forum that have a lot to say about gear (and music) but don't post their music so I don't really know how much weight I should give to their opinions. So yes, I checked out Forte videos again after Jim's positive post because I know he plays well. But once again, for me, the Forte didn't compare well with the CP4 that I have and enjoy playing. BTW, I also compared the Forte YT videos with CP4 YT videos in an attempt to neutralize the negative effect YT has on sound quality. We all have our own individual preferences and there are lots of great choices nowadays. I'm happy with my CP4 and am also happy for those who love their Fortes. These are good times!

#2880254 - 09/19/17 11:59 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Al Quinn]
Iconoclast Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I have had a Forte for a year. Actually didn't know who Jim A even was (sorry?!). I was in the market for either a Montage, Kronos or Nord Stage 2EX. Didn't seriously consider a Forte initially.

Ended up getting one based entirely on input from people on this board.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2812815/1

So, I'd disagree with the assertion that the Forte has been discovered only since Jim A's endorsement.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2880267 - 09/19/17 01:33 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN

Well after hearing the RD-2000 through the infamous KC-550 and any Nord Piano through the little cheezeball monitors I'm accustomed to seeing/hearing at GC - it's no wonder you continually to be underwhelmed and not bitten by GAS. wink

Have you ever considered taking a pair of even mediocre phones in to listen to keyboards ?

What did you hear the Montage through ? Also consider the 88 is a formidable beast to schlep. I believe Allan Evett and one other fellow here (much younger) decided it was a bit too much. Allan went down to the RD-2000, 48lbs. and less girthy, from the 64 lbs. and mucho girth on the flagship Yamaha.

I'm sure the Montage 8 is a great live ax for Chick or Michael McDonald --- especially when their road crew springs into action and starts earning their dough. wink

Like I posted yesterday
The Forte is another animal altogether removed from the PC88 - both action and sound. The only thing they share in remotely being similar is the name stenciled on it. If Kurz pianos are your thing , you should really try to play one somehow, somewhere..

Had a feeling I'd be jumping back into the Forte discussion, sooner or later. I don't think it's the support of dB or JA that suddenly made the Forte 'popular'; the instrument stands well on its own. The specs provided by Dave Weiser, along with the endorsements by many users, is evidence of something very strong in a digital keyboard.

As Dave Ferris mentioned, neither of us have found Kurz pianos to be our particular fit. But I have had conversations with some fellow players who avoid Roland pianos, and others who find the Yamaha digital piano sound lacking; and I just happen to have a preference for both of those. To be clear: I found the Forte 7's pianos to be capable and inspiring to play; it's just for some reason my finger-to-ear connection is more nuanced with the other two brands. So you could just as easily find the Forte pianos equally nuanced and inspiring to play. I was frequently told how good the Forte's pianos sounded, live.

So that's just one reason why I still recommend the Forte as an instrument worth checking out. The other reasons are clear: variety, amount, and quality of sounds; KB3 mode; kick-ass VA engine.... And while I haven't played the Purgatory Creek sounds, the examples do sound awesome. And I can attest to the quality of the other 3rd-party libraries - from Kurzweil and Barb & Co. The barbandco.com synth libraries are insanely good; if you want FM, Jupiter and Obie 80's+ goodness in Kurz format, this is your holy grail.

Edited by allan_evett (09/19/17 01:36 PM)

#2880271 - 09/19/17 01:46 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RABid]
theshinenz Offline

Originally Posted By: RABid
I don't consider the Montage to be anything like the Forte or Kronos. The big difference is the Kronos is designed to integrate with my entire rig. The Montage is designed to stand alone.

Really? Have you used a Montage? I have used it it a multi keyboard setup and currently using it controlling mainstage and it works very well. As a controller its not as flexible as say the Forte or PC3 which ive also owned but the thing sounds so good, with mainstage and the use of the superknob locally I ended up ditching my second keyboard as could do everything I needed with the Montage and a few extra sounds from Kontakt etc.

I think people have been misinformed about the Montage from users that havent spent the time learning to drive it.

#2880278 - 09/19/17 02:20 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: theshinenz]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: theshinenz
Really? Have you used a Montage? ...

I own a Montage 7. Early adapter. Too early. I should have held off and read more reviews from users before jumping. I bought it assuming that I could put it on top of an 88 controller and use the controller to play piano while playing other parts on the Montage. What a mess. I've had several Motif's over the years and they were all great at integrating into a larger setup. Many times I used a Motif 6 on top of an 88 controller and it worked great. It is obvious that Yamaha intended the Montage to be a stand alone. They have bowed to pressure and tried to patch a few things together with updates but it is still crippled in that context. It is fine as a stand alone keyboard. It sucks as a multi tembrel sound source for your live rig.

#2880292 - 09/19/17 03:06 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RABid]
jeffnkrn Offline

Forte owner here. My 2 cents - Love the piano and Rhodes sounds.
The 7ft piano plays better than the 9ft - better dynamics, but I like the 9ft sound more (Steinway?). Hard to play soft on the piano patches . Esp. 9ft. The Rhodes are very dynamic sounding and no problem playing soft. The KB3 organ is good, but doesn't replace a good clone like my Numa. Great for the wedding band though! Synth sounds and pads could be warmer to me. Though I hear some 3rd party patches are taking care of that. I like the action, though it took awhile to get used to and it broke in after a couple months playing, feeling more fluid.

I recently played the Roland RD-2000. Great piano and Rhodes sounds and a great feeling action. Really enjoyed playing on it.
Action is excellent. Better than the Fatar on the Forte to me.
The synth sounds and build quality are not as good. Surprised the synth sounds didn't do it for me, since I love Roland's warmth, but it wasn't there for me. Forte is built better - more robust.

Friend of mine has a Montage. All the sounds are excellent to me.
Played the Bosendorfer sample. Wow! Big and clean and dynamic.
One problem. HATE the action. Out of these 3 this is my least favorite to play. But the board sounds great. Synths nice and big and warm and tons of patches. One other problem is this board is too heavy and big to gig with. So for me it's not a good choice there. Wish it had the CP4 action in it and was 10 pounds or more lighter and smaller. Also, I have always had problems getting around the Yamaha interface.

Even after playing these, will be keeping my Forte. Still learning how to use it, even though it's not that difficult, it is very deep. Great board!

Edited by jeffnkrn (09/19/17 03:08 PM)

#2880303 - 09/19/17 04:29 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Ferris]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My friend, Robin Swenson just replaced his PC-3 X (?) after a really long time with the Forte 88. He won't use anything -piano wise- other then Kurzweil.

Here's a FB video (if you can see it) the day before Irma with Rob taking a fair amount of choruses on Freddy the Freeloader.

That's his nutty, lovable wife, vocalist Janelle Sadler, shooting the video and popping her head in and out of the video.

Sorry for the long copy & paste - I couldn't get a clickable link:
https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-29/21470530_138773076736318_5296214813687414784_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InNkIn0%3D&oh=f61e602f4022f5fab9a1f0e36ca92817&oe=59BE5189

Fwiw - like me , anyone still trying to view that video is getting a "url expired". I don't understand FB video links - in regard to why some stay viewable and others not, it very well could be something I'm doing or not - but if anyone really wants to see that video , you can PM me and I'll give a link and date to the FB page it was posted on. Sorry about that.

2005 NY Steinway D

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner