Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#2879352 - 09/14/17 10:38 PM Kurzweil Forte
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lansing, MI
Hey gang.

Just received my Forte 7 from Weisersound. Can't wait to run this baby through it's paces. If you are interested in a Kurzweil, David Weiser is your man. Tell him I sent you and he'll hook you up.

http://www.weisersound.com/

I'm loading in the Vintage Keys set from Purgatory Creek Soundware. They are one of the few sample companies I know that offer a Wurlitzer 140b sample set!

I used the Forte on a gig tonight with Greg Nagy. Tomorrow (Saturday, Sept 14th), I'm performing with Greg at the Michigan Blues Festival with the Forte 7 and my SK2 through a Leslie 3300. The rig sounds killer!

Edited by Jim Alfredson (09/15/17 12:27 AM)

KC Island
#2879365 - 09/15/17 03:54 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
We need a video review ASAP smile

#2879385 - 09/15/17 06:02 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
b3plyr Offline

Agree with Jim - you can't beat Dave Weiser for buying the Forte. And you will get incredible support from him! I have used my Forte for many gigs, mostly in a duo where the pianos are really out front, and am very happy with it. I am also about to get the Purgatory Creek Soundware. Can't wait to hear what Jim thinks. Yes Jim, video please.

#2879392 - 09/15/17 06:25 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: b3plyr]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Jim, You are definitely in good hands with DW, he's the real deal!! The Forte is a beast that slays all styles... sinner on a Saturday night & saint on Sunday mornings. 😉

#2879401 - 09/15/17 07:12 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Jim Alfredson]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Jim Alfredson
Hey gang.

Just received my Forte 7 from Weisersound. Can't wait to run this baby through it's paces. If you are interested in a Kurzweil, David Weiser is your man. Tell him I sent you and he'll hook you up.

http://www.weisersound.com/

I'm loading in the Vintage Keys set from Purgatory Creek Soundware. They are one of the few sample companies I know that offer a Wurlitzer 140b sample set!

I used the Forte on a gig tonight with Greg Nagy. Tomorrow (Saturday, Sept 14th), I'm performing with Greg at the Michigan Blues Festival with the Forte 7 and my SK2 through a Leslie 3300. The rig sounds killer!

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2879411 - 09/15/17 07:52 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Bryce]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Good to hear Jim. Hope the VKC works out for you.

Busch.

http://www.purgatorycreek.com

#2879418 - 09/15/17 08:17 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
keyman27 Offline

Loc: United States
I got to hear the Forte 8 in action last night at a gig, one of the rare ones with two keyboardists (Springsteen tribute). The gig was with in-ears, so I heard the Forte loud and clear. Damn it sounded good! I think he used the 7-foot Bright piano most of the night. To me, it was a clear improvement over his previous Kurzweil board. I took a spin on it between sets, and I really liked the action.

#2879433 - 09/15/17 09:17 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: keyman27]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
While I was at Thomann HQ in Germany earlier in the year I tried every keyboard there. It being the biggest keyboard retailer in Europe, there were a lot of boards. The Forte was the one I kept coming back to. There was just something about it...

+1 to the rest, video please Mr.A!

#2879458 - 09/15/17 11:00 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: burningbusch

Busch.

Oustanding job on these, brother. First time I've heard your work on the Kurzweil platform - really well done!

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNation SoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Amphion Loudspeakers Cloud Microphones Crumar/GSi elysia GmbH Reverb Foundry Roswell Pro Audio...and Electronic Musician

#2879464 - 09/15/17 11:31 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Bryce]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
for Forte users- what is the sampling capability like? I do a lot of 1 shot samples for my Floyd band, and the pads on the FA08 are perfect for this. Is there a way to trigger samples like this on the Forte or do they have to be mapped to keys?
www.echoesrocks.com

#2879485 - 09/15/17 12:48 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: DanL]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Originally Posted By: DanL
for Forte users- what is the sampling capability like? I do a lot of 1 shot samples for my Floyd band, and the pads on the FA08 are perfect for this. Is there a way to trigger samples like this on the Forte or do they have to be mapped to keys?

Are you considering the forte because of the freezing FA08 Dan? Can imagine that.

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2879495 - 09/15/17 01:32 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
VId or it didn't happen

#2879513 - 09/15/17 02:58 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Ensenada Guide]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Boston, MA
EXCELLENT!!

Jim + that rig = unstoppable!!!

One of the biggest joys of working in this industry is when one of my favorite players gets their hands on an instrument and presets that I helped create!

Y'all can expect to see some custom Jim Alfredson/THEO signature sounds coming shortly.

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/15/17 03:03 PM)

#2879527 - 09/15/17 04:14 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
churchkeybob Offline

Loc: Michigan,USA
It's 7pm here on the 15th and Jim is playing live stream at https://livestream.com/wkar/bsp-nagy The Forte sounds great. ~BOB

#2879534 - 09/15/17 04:58 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Bryce]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Originally Posted By: burningbusch

Busch.

Oustanding job on these, brother. First time I've heard your work on the Kurzweil platform - really well done!

dB

Thanks Dave, greatly appreciate it!

Busch.

#2879537 - 09/15/17 05:34 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
Marillo Offline

Loc: UK
In fairness I'm mainly hearing the Hammond SK-1, and that really does sound sweet! Great playing.

#2879539 - 09/15/17 05:51 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Marillo]
churchkeybob Offline

Loc: Michigan,USA
Originally Posted By: Marillo
In fairness I'm mainly hearing the Hammond SK-1, and that really does sound sweet! Great playing.

Yes indeed. If you start at the beginning, he opens with the Forte. ~BOB

#2879541 - 09/15/17 06:01 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Marillo]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
How many models of Forte have there been?
I see weight is around 50 lbs which is 5 lbs lighter than pc 88, my go to 88.

How different is action of Forte ( I thought I saw a Forte 2, if true, is Forte 2 the next Forte ) from old PC 88?

How open ended is Forte... like the basses, is there option to add a bass that is not currently in Forte?

#2879543 - 09/15/17 06:07 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
How open ended is Forte... like the basses, is there option to add a bass that is not currently in Forte?

you can load up to 3 GB of your own samples, that's opened ended for sure. thu

#2879553 - 09/15/17 07:14 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: davedoerfler]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler

you can load up to 3 GB of your own samples, that's opened ended for sure. thu

Yes, and it's flash so once you load them, they're there and no need to reload each time you turn on the unit.

Busch.

#2879563 - 09/15/17 07:38 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: burningbusch]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Forte is looking more and more promising to me.. replacing my new CP5 and my aged pc 88
But humor me... make believe I am an idiot savant about music versus sampling

I tried, I really did. decades ago, I would ask for help in a GC, about an AKAI this or that, or whatever, and I tell you, I got nowhere.

SO... I want to find options for my favorite sounds to mess with
B3,, Rhodes, and all manner of basses

How do i find them

and how do they find there way into a Forte?

Edited by I-missRichardTee (09/15/17 07:42 PM)

#2879584 - 09/15/17 09:55 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice

How do i find them

purchase from Dave Weiser and all will be taken care of... cheers

#2879603 - 09/16/17 03:49 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

Forte is looking more and more promising to me.. replacing my new CP5 and my aged pc 88
But humor me... make believe I am an idiot savant about music versus sampling

I tried, I really did. decades ago, I would ask for help in a GC, about an AKAI this or that, or whatever, and I tell you, I got nowhere.

How do i find them

Sadly asking GC guys won't get you very far these days.

But there are plenty of really cool online resources available. There's an amazing Forte users group on Facebook with friendly folks who usually answer questions within an hour. There are youtube tutorials, free sound downloads and places like Ksetlist.com, a huge repository of free sounds for Kurz users.

There is a growing number of third party sound sets that can be loaded into the Forte's generous 3GB of user memory. Here are a few examples:
http://www.purgatorycreek.com/page-2/page-3/index.html
http://www.barbandco.com/store/c10/Kurzweil_Forte.html

Also, the on board sounds, esp the ones you mentioned, can be tweaked and mangled significantly by simply moving the sliders. (And the screen kindly shows you what each slider does when it's moved.) I'm happy to answer questions about the factory EPs and basses, I designed many of them.

Forte7 weighs 41 lbs, and that's with a hammer weighted action. The 88 note version weighs 48lbs. (For a point of reference Kronos 73 weighs 46lbs and the 88 weighs 53.)

One nice thing about the Forte - the interface and architecture were designed by musicians, not engineers. Their main software guru was my roommate at Berklee a million years ago - his major was film scoring, not computer science. wink

#2879607 - 09/16/17 04:23 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thank you D Weiser or D Wise man
Just based on some demos and a process of elimination ( my contentious contention that Big 5 are not making keyboards for we old cha cha cha guys who Burning Busch says are just about dead ) I am slowly losing my points of resistance to Why not a Forte 7?

But again, does Forte possess a killer Mono piano the way pc 88 does?

The only other possibilities are Roland 2000 or Yamaha Montage or even super expensive Genos

Having been burned on past purchases - I am slow to pull trigger.
A whole bunch of factors have to coalesce for me to plunk down multi thousands

readily, easy, on the fly ( nice sliders ) control over volume layers
mono pianos
great strings
great basses
And this: The layers and split bass have to sound great together... which is not always the case
This is subtle.. but the merged/ mixed soundscape must be top notch.
Just because individual sounds are good, does not mean the combination of 4 sounds will kick butt.
That is what my JV 1000 and pc 88 did... I think it has to do with the components used before economic down turns entered, into a sound designers world.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (09/16/17 04:25 AM)

#2879625 - 09/16/17 06:36 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: RudyS]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: RudyS
Originally Posted By: DanL

Are you considering the forte because of the freezing FA08 Dan? Can imagine that.

I've sorta been in the market for a top of the line upgrade to the FA08 for a while. Just window shopping at this point. I've never owned a Kurz before so I started to do some reading on it. Also looking at a Kronos. Both in the 76 key models. I was told the Kronos does the 1 shot sampling from either buttons or the touch screen, so was curious if the Forte offered a similar option.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2879652 - 09/16/17 09:40 AM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Dave Weiser Offline
Platinum Member

And this: The layers and split bass have to sound great together... which is not always the case
This is subtle.. but the merged/ mixed soundscape must be top notch.

I totally agree with you. So much so that I decided to make my living at making keyboard patches sound great together. wink

Seriously I'm always shocked when a board only features piano presets that are densely packed with low-mid frequencies - that's the number one reason for sound guys turning us keyboard players down! I've created what I call "gig pianos", piano presets meant to cut through mix without having to be cranked up overly loud, for a few platforms including Forte, PC3/PC3K, Casio PX-5S and Physis.

My UK partner and I do the same thing on Broadway shows, but with many instrument sounds, fitting them into orchestras ranging from 8 to 41 pieces.

Here are a few audio examples of my Forte Gig Piano presets along with my Motown Bass preset (featured in Forte and PC3 factory sets). These are just crap Youtube clips but hopefully they convey the intention.

And here's one with better audio, using my PC3/K Gig Piano, same Motown bass.
https://soundcloud.com/dave-weiser/gig-piano-mix?in=dave-weiser/sets/weisersound-pc3pc3k-gig-pack

The Kurz boards sum to mono very gracefully. I've used them on a gazillion gigs: Blues, funk/R&B, country and a cheeky Faces Tribute called The Rods. I'm sure there are some folks here who can testify to the mono goodness.

The PC3/K can trigger notes/samples from buttons and sw pedals. I believe the Forte can do the same - I'll double check with my buddies in their software dept.

Edited by Dave Weiser (09/16/17 09:51 AM)

#2879689 - 09/16/17 03:26 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Dave Weiser]
scales Offline

Loc: Daphne, AL
Walked into a store to demo Nord piano 3 and they had a Forte. I couldn't believe it. It was 4 hours north from where I live. Don't get up there much. Simply amazing machine. And, it was on sale for $2985. And it was an 88 key model. So hard to find those in stores. Asking the same price for the NP-3. I got out of there before GAS completely took over

#2879708 - 09/16/17 07:24 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: scales]
Iconoclast Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Way more capable instrument than the NP-3. For $2985, I don't know how you had the strength to leave without it.

Forte7, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff
...and a pickup truck to haul it all

#2879713 - 09/16/17 07:35 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: Iconoclast]
wd8dky Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicagoland
It's funny; the Forte has been out there since late 2015 (2 years almost), and only now it's feeling loved?

#2879722 - 09/16/17 08:31 PM Re: Kurzweil Forte [Re: wd8dky]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: eastern North Carolina
Forte software development is similar to the way that PC3 was - several years of not just some bug fixes, but whole new features (and sometimes sounds) added.
Nicest thing - even if one bought a Forte right after first release, it will still take the latest OS version, which brings it up to one just leaving the factory.
Jim

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner