Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2878965 - 09/13/17 05:51 PM Working For the Weekend
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

On the chance that we would like to learn this one, what synth download for my Electro 5 gets me close to the sound? I also have a Kurz PC2LE if that might be a better way to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahvSgFHzJIc

Thanks.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

KC Island
#2878969 - 09/13/17 06:10 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: misterdregs]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
Loverboy's Synth player Doug Johnson used a Yamaha CS60. He also had a rare Yamaha SS30 String Synth as well as a Yamaha CP70. Don't know if he was sponsored or just liked Yamaha. There was a discussion on here a while back about how to play this song with some transcriptions. I knew a guy in a local 80's band that e-mailed Doug Johnson who actually replied and sent him a transcription of the "WftW" Synth part.

As far as the Synth sound it is fairly generic and could be done on most any PolySynth. I would just try out some sounds and see what works best.

Edited by Shamanzarek (09/13/17 06:13 PM)

#2878970 - 09/13/17 06:14 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: Shamanzarek]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Shamanzarek
Loverboy's Synth player Doug Johnson used a Yamaha CS60. He also had a rare Yamaha SS30 String Synth as well as a Yamaha CP70. Don't know if he was sponsored or just liked Yamaha. There was a discussion on here a while back about how to play this song with some transcriptions. I knew a guy in a local 80's band that e-mailed Doug Johnson who actually replied and sent him a transcription of the "WftW" Synth part.

As far as the Synth sound it is pretty generic and could be done on most any PolySynth. I would just try out some sounds and see what works best.

Thanks! My knowledge of synths is extremely limited. (I'm going to have to search to see what a "polysynth" is, for example.)

I'll do a search here and see what I can find regarding that old thread.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2878971 - 09/13/17 06:16 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: misterdregs]
mate stubb Online   content
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

poly == polyphonic, eg. it plays chords.

You want a fairly bright sawtooth pad sound.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2878972 - 09/13/17 06:21 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: Shamanzarek]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Find your fattest polyphonic "analog" brass patch and make simple ADSR and filter cutoff adjustments.

BernMeister graciously shared a transcription here a while back, which I used to learn the tune. It is spot on! twothumbs

#2878973 - 09/13/17 06:22 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: misterdregs]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
The Yamaha CS60 only has one oscillator per voice so doesn't have detuning or oscillators tuned to octaves or intervals. Available waveforms are either Sawtooth or Square/Pulse. My guess is it's a Sawtooth on the song in question. The CS60 is a relatively simple Synth and an example of one of the first Polyphonic Synthesizers designed for stage use. It should be easy to find a Synth sound that will cover this on most any modern ROMpler Keyboard.

Edited by Shamanzarek (09/13/17 06:27 PM)

#2878974 - 09/13/17 06:22 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: mate stubb]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I'm sorry but this is just Avery simple, basic saw patch. Literally NOTHiNG difficult or questionable about that patch. Nothing. Just a saw with slight adjustments to E.G. And filter. As basic as it gets except maybe Jump.

Edited by J. Dan (09/13/17 06:25 PM)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2878979 - 09/13/17 06:29 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: J. Dan]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
If you don't nail this quickly, let us know -- I have a lot of catching up after a week off the grid, but worked hard on this song a number of years ago and have pretty well annotated patches for every part in the song.

They are all pretty basic, luckily, so with some minor editing almost any synth will have the necessary starting point patches.

#2878981 - 09/13/17 06:32 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: Moonglow]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted By: Moonglow
BernMeister graciously shared a transcription here a while back, which I used to learn the tune. It is spot on! twothumbs

CLONK

Funny enough, in that thread I had already CLONKED to a yet older thread!

#2878986 - 09/13/17 06:40 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: Dr88s]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
I think I answered your question on the Nord user forum as well.

The best sound for this from the Nord sample library is SynthPad2

I used the chart from BernMeister some time ago and found it very useful.

#2878987 - 09/13/17 06:42 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: eric]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
Also, since you have the NE5, I suggest layering chorused CP70 with the SynthPad2 sound. On my NS2 I use the CP sound with layered synths to make it cut.

#2878990 - 09/13/17 06:51 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: eric]
GordoTheGreek Offline

Funny, my band played before them at a festival in Oakville, Ontario last weekend. They were just excellent and it was a treat to watch them from backstage. They are still rock stars - the women were going crazy, including my singer's wife who was thrilled to get a photo with Mike Reno. Fun evening!

#2879007 - 09/13/17 08:26 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: GordoTheGreek]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
This seems pretty close to BernMeister's transcription. Don't really care for the patch...

#2879025 - 09/13/17 10:04 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: Moonglow]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Thanks for that vid. I tried to learn this one afternoon a few years ago and got stuck trying to get that one part right. I never thought to use two thumbs on one key. That sure looks easier.
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2879030 - 09/13/17 10:35 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: Moonglow]
harmonizer Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ, USA
I felt it important to find a sound that had some "thickness" to it, which resembled the recording, and whose sound stopped quickly upon key release to enable spaces between the notes, so the whole thing did not end up sounding like a poorly-defined mess to the audience. It took me a while to find a sound that satisfied both of these needs for me.

In my Roland XV, I use a patch from my SRX-07 card, patch 377 (Pro-5 Brs SRX). It is described as "Prophet-5 style 180s synth brass", but it almost feels like there is a synth strings sound in it (for thickness). But it also has a crispness of attack and quick release so that it still cuts through to the audience. I know you don't have a Roland, but I mention this because sometimes it helps me to read what type of sound someone else used, to see if I can find something similar on my gear.

I did something a little different with this song, which may or may not interest you. I decided I wanted to add some "oomph" to the repeated "E-F-F#-A-E-F-F#" licks, which I do not hear in the original. So I made them lower synth bass parts played by my left hand. I play the left hand synth bass licks (E-F-F#-A-E-F-F#) using a doubled layer for most of the song, where the two parts are 2 octaves apart. In the last time through this ("You want to be in the show...") I add an extra octave above this. I only press one key at a time with my left hand - my keys skills are modest, so playing parallel octaves with left hand is not possible for me. Enabling me to cover the left hand synth bass parts uses up 5 out of the 16 parts available in a Roland XV "Performance". I carved out a lower octave on my keyboard where the two "parts" (2 octaves apart) are active. The next octave up on the physical keyboard has three "parts" active, with the 3rd added part being 1 octave above the higher of the other two, and I play this only for the last time through. You might be able to this type of keyboard split/layering on a Stage 3, but not with an Electro 5. I don't know what layering and split capability your Kurz has. My old Roland XV is crazy good at these types of splits.

I have an Electro 3, which serves as the MIDI controller to my Roland XV synth module. I just tried the SynthPad2 sample, but found it unsatisfying by itself. It does have a crisp enough attack, but not enough "thickness" for my taste. Perhaps that is a statement about the concept I have in my head on the sound I want to make on this song, which may not match what others have.

#2879112 - 09/14/17 07:18 AM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: Shamanzarek]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: Shamanzarek
Loverboy's Synth player Doug Johnson used a Yamaha CS60. He also had a rare Yamaha SS30 String Synth as well as a Yamaha CP70. Don't know if he was sponsored or just liked Yamaha.

Doug also used the Prophet 5, maybe two of them in later days. He liked to use a Boss chorus to fatten up his CS60 because it only had one oscillator per voice.

#2879266 - 09/14/17 01:52 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: The Real MC]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions (and education!). I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something workable.

The transcription also looks to be very useful.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2879328 - 09/14/17 08:07 PM Re: Working For the Weekend [Re: Moonglow]
Dr88s Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted By: Moonglow
This seems pretty close to BernMeister's transcription. Don't really care for the patch...

The poster of that vid, goatghost, has sone other great instructional demos up; I've learned a few songs quickly by watching him.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner