Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2878885 - 09/13/17 10:49 AM 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound
The Piano Man Offline

I occasionally play with a folk band where I spend the night doing Piano vamping. A fully weighted action is not always preferred. Instead, a standard keyboard action is perfect. However, a lot of modern boards have terribly flimsy actions in my opinion.

I am looking for something solid, like the Yamaha FS(?) action that I had on the Korg Triton. In terms of sounds and features, all I really need is a good grand piano sound. Finally, I do prefer internal power supplies. I suppose I could buy a second hand Korg M1 or something and just midi it up to a GEM RP-X or some other decent piano module. However, these Piano modules are hard to come by and I'd like a one board solution. I do not need tons of other features. I really do not want something lame like the Yamaha NP12. It doesn't even have proper outputs.

Is there anything out there that fits the bill? I imagine old decent keyboard plus module is probably the best bet...

KC Island
#2878887 - 09/13/17 10:55 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: The Piano Man]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Do you want a 61 because of the weight or because of the length. I know what I would get but it don't come in 61. But it is not weighted and very lightweight.

"I wish windshield wipers had tap tempo" Gavin Hage

#2878889 - 09/13/17 11:00 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: CEB]
fjzingo Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
A used motif xf or a montage comes to mind

Cantaloop
Soulfetch
Soulbox

#2878890 - 09/13/17 11:03 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: fjzingo]
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
The Montage 61 has wonderful feeling action and excellent piano sounds but overkill is an understatement.

What about an arranger? Yamaha PSR or Casio, name your price.

#2878896 - 09/13/17 11:14 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: CEB]
The Piano Man Offline

Originally Posted By: CEB
Do you want a 61 because of the weight or because of the length. I know what I would get but it don't come in 61. But it is not weighted and very lightweight.

Kurzweil Artis 7?

#2878899 - 09/13/17 11:18 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: The Piano Man]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: The Piano Man
A fully weighted action is not always preferred. Instead, a standard keyboard action is perfect.
I really need is a good grand piano sound. Finally, I do prefer internal power supplies.

Kurzweil Artis7, if you like the action, and 76 keys is not too big.
Or Nord Electro 5D, which is 61 keys and very light to transport, and has my favorite piano sounds, but pricier.

Beyond that, maybe Korg Kronos 61 or Roland Jupiter 80 or Yamaha Montage 6 but they'd all be kind of overkill and also get heavier. If you didn't need the internal power supply, there would be more options.

#2878903 - 09/13/17 11:24 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: AnotherScott]
The Piano Man Offline

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
A fully weighted action is not always preferred. Instead, a standard keyboard action is perfect.
I really need is a good grand piano sound. Finally, I do prefer internal power supplies.

Kurzweil Artis7, if you like the action, and 76 keys is not too big.
Or Nord Electro 5D, which is 61 keys and very light to transport, and has my favorite piano sounds, but pricier.

Beyond that, maybe Korg Kronos 61 or Roland Jupiter 80 or Yamaha Montage 6 but they'd all be kind of overkill and also get heavier. If you didn't need the internal power supply, there would be more options.

I think the Artis 7 would be pretty good. Or a pre-owned Electro 4?

What would you recommend, AnotherScott, if I gave up the internal power supply? Anything out there with Korg Triton style keybed? And not overkill ala Montage?

#2878905 - 09/13/17 11:32 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: The Piano Man]
rockinroller Offline

Loc: Motown
The Artis 7 has a form factor similar to some 61 note boards (mine fits in a 61 note gig bag). You'll appreciate the extra 15 keys.

#2878906 - 09/13/17 11:34 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: The Piano Man]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: CEB

Kurzweil Artis 7?

No but the Artis 7 is killer. That is better than what I was thinking. I was thinking the Numa Compact. I was going to use one as an ancillary controller for my pop rig with the board angled down so the crowd could watch me solo. I thought it would be a nice stage effect. Its fast. But is does use an external power supply. I mount the power supplies to my pedal boards and have grown to not mind them so much.

But forget that and get the Artis 7.

Edited by CEB (09/13/17 11:39 AM)

#2878908 - 09/13/17 11:39 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: CEB]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Roland RD-64?

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2878911 - 09/13/17 11:49 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: Dreamchilde]
The Piano Man Offline

Originally Posted By: Dreamchilde
Roland RD-64?

I briefly owned one but actually looking for a non hammered action and also internal power supply.

Artis 7 looks like the best option.

#2878913 - 09/13/17 12:00 PM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: The Piano Man]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I think the Artis 7 would be pretty good. Or a pre-owned Electro 4?

Sure. 5 better, 4 still good.

What would you recommend, AnotherScott, if I gave up the internal power supply?

Other options could be the Yamaha MX61 (which at least has the proper outputs the NP12 lacks), or the MOXF6 with a flash card that allows you load other piano sounds into it (a number of them freely downloadable from Yamaha), or possibly the forthcoming Roland VR730 which, if it has an action similar to the old VR700, might be quite nice. Or the aforementioned Numa Compact 2, if you might like 88 keys in a super-light package at minimal expense.

I'm not specifically recommending any of these over the Artis7 or Nord, they are just more options available to you if you forego the internal power supply.

Which actions of these are best is very much a matter of opinion, but none are nearly-universally disliked for piano (like the low end Korgs and Rolands are). The Kurzweil and Nord are a little polarizing, they are decent actions but push back somewhat strongly, which some people are okay with and others dislike.

#2878915 - 09/13/17 12:20 PM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: The Piano Man]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Dreamchilde
Roland RD-64?

I briefly owned one but actually looking for a non hammered action and also internal power supply.

Artis 7 looks like the best option.

I'm sorry I misread your post. Thought you wanted weighted.

I love the pianos in my MX61, but upon further reflection I kind of wish I'd waited for the MOXF6. I also have a VR-09, and can really only vouch for one acoustic piano patch in it.

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2878934 - 09/13/17 02:20 PM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: Dreamchilde]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

I do like me some Keyboard Jeopardy:
- "With 61 keys and an internal power supply I have a decent piano patch and am also well built"

New that's Kronos 61, Montage 61, or Kurzweil PC3A6/PC3K6 (I think Dave Weiser reported that's discontinued) or PC3LE6 if you can tolerate the TP8 action and ageing Triple Strike sample. I don't know of any others from memory - and I don't know if these are overkill.

Have you considered second-hand? A used Motif, Fantom or M3 are all well-built with a nice action.

I'll get my stuck record out of its sleeve and nominate the Alesis QS6/6.1/6.2 - with internal PSU and nice action. The stock piano is reasonable (some say "superb") and you can get additional AP samples on PCMCIA cards. I gigged one for years over a downstairs controller, and I used the Jazz Piano card. A bit light in the bass, but a quality sound that cut through the mix without sounding overly harsh.

Cheers, Mike.

#2879099 - 09/14/17 06:55 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: stoken6]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Edited by CEB (09/14/17 06:58 AM)

#2880162 - Yesterday at 06:27 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: CEB]
Lyndownunder Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Hey Guys, I need help with my Casio PX 560!
How do I turn off the onboard speakers when I'm live on stage?
They sound cheesy to me.
The px itself is a monster with loads of great features for what I need.....but those bloody speakers! Hellllppppp!
Lyn 🎼🎹
Korg, DX7....

#2880163 - Yesterday at 06:31 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: CEB]
Lyndownunder Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Check out the Casio Privia PX 560 M.
It has the best of many worlds. 88 keys, light, plus being a cool electric piano, it's an arranging sample player, as well as midi. I love it....and yes, I know Casio has been bagged for years, but this is a serious pro machine....and MUCH easier to haul around than the Tyros!
Cheese lyn
Korg, DX7....

#2880178 - Yesterday at 07:21 AM Re: 61 key board with excellent keybed and quality Piano sound [Re: Lyndownunder]
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Naperville, Ilinois
Originally Posted By: Lyndownunder
Hey Guys, I need help with my Casio PX 560!
How do I turn off the onboard speakers when I'm live on stage?
They sound cheesy to me.
The px itself is a monster with loads of great features for what I need.....but those bloody speakers! Hellllppppp!
Lyn 🎼🎹

System Settings - Speaker. It is the first choice.

Casio Music Forums
Privia Pro PX-5S Audio Demos

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner