Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2878855 - 09/13/17 09:13 AM Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings
burningbusch Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
I possibly have a line on renting/purchasing an RMI 368 and am looking for guidance related to popular tab settings. I will be sampling it and want sought after settings and related info. I've found basic info, like he used an MXR 100, but not much more.

Thanks,

Busch.

KC Island
#2878860 - 09/13/17 09:32 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: burningbusch]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I think it only had 3 sounds... piano, harpsi, lute. You could get other textures by

...combining sounds, like enabling piano and harpsi at the same time, but this wouldn't require a new sample, someone could just layer the piano sample and the harpsi sample

...hitting the tabs that lower the volumes of the sounds, but of course, that doesn't need a new sample either

...organ mode, which used the same tones with a different envelope... If you wanted to be really faithful, you could sample those separately, or maybe you could use envelope controls to get both the standard and organ mode versions out of the same sample set

...a bass slider, but that's just EQ

...an accenter which, from what I've read, just added a percussive tone, which you could separately sample and layer... I don't think it was wisely used

Some good info at http://nolimitsoundproductions.blogspot.com/2013/07/prog-spawn.html including quotes from Tony Banks about how he used it

#2878863 - 09/13/17 09:39 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: AnotherScott]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Scott, that's very helpful. I think the combining sounds/tabs does require a separate sampling. I think you'll get phasing issues, like with an organ, if you try to combine them after the fact.

Busch.

#2878868 - 09/13/17 10:01 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: burningbusch]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
And now to answer a question no-one asked....

Worst
Action
Ever

#2878870 - 09/13/17 10:03 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: ABECK]
wd8dky Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicagoland
How were the built-in speakers?

(ducks from keytar thrown at me)

#2878879 - 09/13/17 10:17 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: ABECK]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ABECK
And now to answer a question no-one asked....

Worst
Action
Ever

If someone gave me an RMI, I would trade in for a Williams.

#2878886 - 09/13/17 10:54 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: burningbusch]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The RMI Electrapiano has sought-after sounds? idk

#2878895 - 09/13/17 11:13 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: Synthoid]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
I do remember playing one of these when I was teaching piano lessons at students' houses back in the 80s. Yep, one student had one of these. At the time I didn't know of its legacy with Tony Banks, Rick Wakeman, et al. It was truly a horrible experience, both sonically and ergonomically. No velocity. Felt and sounded like one of those early "toy" Yamaha PSR's... with even less available sounds!

In my prog tribute band, I do the opening piano part of "Lamb Lies Down" using an acoustic piano sound on my ROMpler. Sounds better to me than the RMI sound, and other bandmembers agree. I'm sure Tony would have done the same if an acoustic piano was available at the (almost derelict) Headley Grange studios where they recorded it.

#2878900 - 09/13/17 11:18 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: Synthoid]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Mine had the stuff Scott said plus a think called organ mode. It just made the same sounds sustain. Ooops he mentioned that. I never used it. I played organ on my Farf.

Mine also had this vibrato thing I THINK it was called a Warbler .... pretty good name for it.

I don't think I had any bass or EQ sliders at all. But heck this was a long time ago you know. laugh

I still have the Farfisa ..... I sure don't have the RMI. laugh

Edited by CEB (09/13/17 11:23 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2878994 - 09/13/17 07:27 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: CEB]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Tony also used some type of distortion pedal on his. An MXR something IIRC.

#2878999 - 09/13/17 08:00 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: mcgoo]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mcgoo
Tony also used some type of distortion pedal on his. An MXR something IIRC.

This is the info from the article. "I often modified my early keyboards, and the RMI ended up with a Fender Blender fuzz box built in. I was able to control the amount of signal fed to the fuzz box, so I could create anything from a clean piano to a heavily driven sound. This was then passed through an MXR Phaser, and on through a Leslie cabinet. The Leslie was later replaced by a Boss Chorus unit, which was much more controllable and still gave a passable imitation of the Leslie sound I wanted."

Busch.

#2879011 - 09/13/17 08:35 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: burningbusch]
Shamanzarek Offline

Loc: NJ
Tony and Rick used the earlier 300B model. The 368 added seven keys at the low end plus tone and volume controls on the front panel. The tone generators are the same as the 300B. Prior to the RMI Tony used a Hohner Pianet N to cover parts recorded on acoustic Piano. Rick used his RMI primarily for it's ability to cover Harpsichord parts. He carried a grand Piano at the time so didn't need it to cover Piano parts. He did use the RMI's Piano sound in the studio and concerts for "Long Distance Runaround".

#2879027 - 09/13/17 10:08 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: Shamanzarek]
UnderGroundH Offline

Loc: Keratsini, Hellas
Kurzweil's K26** electric piano card has some RMI presets.
I used them some times. I have read an interview of Jon Lord that his technician install inside his hammond a RMI, and he could choose to play RMI with hammond at the same time. That, plus the Marshall amps, was the trademarks of his sound.

Jon Lord's Modified C-3

The following information comes from a March, 1983 Keyboard Magazine interview between Jon Lord and Bob Doerschuk. The interview is reprinted in the book RockKeyboard. (Thanks to KonZissis for the reference.)

Jon had (the guts of) an RMI Electra Piano wired into the key contacts of his C-3 so that on the upper manual he can play organ, RMI piano, or both at the same time. Also, the bottom two octaves of the lower manual can be hooked up to trigger a synthesizer (e.g. a ?Minimoog).

I made a setup at my K2261 with a KB3 sound and and RMI sound. It sounds great especially with the overdrive open...

Edited by UnderGroundH (09/13/17 11:16 PM)

#2879420 - 09/15/17 08:31 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: UnderGroundH]
Musicale Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Naperville, IL
Not completely sure, but I think Winwood had one with Blind Faith and perhaps a bit with Traffic. Not sure what he used on for example Well Alright or that funky sound on the piano solo in MT pages..

Can anyone confirm what was used in these two masterpieces?

Musicale

#2879459 - 09/15/17 11:08 AM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: Musicale]
Pa Gherkin Offline
Gold Member

Not sure about Well Alright but the studio version of Empty Pages was an RMI,possibly with some sort of subtle overdrive. Imo,this was the best An RMI Ever sounded. Winwood used the RMI in both Traffic and Blind Faith. I used my RMI for several years and grew to hate not only its sound and (lack of) feel but also the fact that different notes would randomly stop working. Got it in '71 and it wasn't until just a couple of years ago that it went to the town dump. Nobody wanted it,especially me.

#2879476 - 09/15/17 12:26 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: Pa Gherkin]
Shamanzarek Offline

Winwood used the RMI 300A which has the bright blue over black tolex covering. This model was also used by Felix Cavaliere in The Rascals and Ray Manzarek in The Doors. I always wondered why they called it the 300A as I've never heard about a model 300. There was a model 100 followed by the 100A. The 300A came out in 1967 and the 300B about 1971.

Edited by Shamanzarek (09/15/17 12:27 PM)

#2879477 - 09/15/17 12:27 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: Pa Gherkin]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
The RMI was the first of its kind - a portable electronic keyboard that provided a passable piano sound which didn't go out of tune. EPs at the time weren't rugged enough for touring. Sure it pales compared to today's DPs, but back then there wasn't anything better.

#2879484 - 09/15/17 12:47 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: The Real MC]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
The RMI was the first of its kind - a portable electronic keyboard that provided a passable piano sound which didn't go out of tune. EPs at the time weren't rugged enough for touring. Sure it pales compared to today's DPs, but back then there wasn't anything better.

This ^^^

There were no velocity keyboards when I bought mine in the early seventies. If you wanted portability, you could get a Farfisa, Vox, or Baldwin organ. Not much more was being offered.

Allen organ company (RMI was a subsidiary) was just getting into using punch cards integrated into their electronic organs. They were at the top of their game for churches that couldn't afford a pipe organ, but wanted a realistic pipe organ sound. In that role, the Allen organs sounded great, and were over-engineered; built like a tank. RMI was simply ahead of its time.

KLONK

#2879538 - 09/15/17 05:37 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: ITGITC?]
Shamanzarek Offline

RMI's parent company Allen Organ developed an Organ that pioneered digital sampling in 1969. The RMI Keyboard Computers were among the very first commercially available digital instruments. Somebody at Allen/RMI really dropped the ball considering how cutting-edge the company was at the time.

Allen Organ

#2879540 - 09/15/17 05:55 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: burningbusch]
tonybanksfan Offline

Loc: canada
Originally Posted By: burningbusch
I possibly have a line on renting/purchasing an RMI 368 and am looking for guidance related to popular tab settings. I will be sampling it and want sought after settings and related info. I've found basic info, like he used an MXR 100, but not much more.

Thanks,

Busch.

If you want a Genesis type RMI sound there's no point in buying or leasing the RMI itself. You would need an mxr100 and Boss chorus unit (expensive and rare) to replicate his sound. It's not worth the investment unless you have a diehard need to use authentic equipment. Most players will use modern synths or software to replicate Tony's RMI stuff, much easier to do.

#2879544 - 09/15/17 06:07 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: tonybanksfan]
MP Hall of Fame Member

First, thanks all for the info and clips.

I've often wondered what Herbie was playing on Filles De Kilimanjaro, the cuts Frelon brun and Miss Mabry. The album lists Rhodes and Piano. The Rhodes tracks are obvious, but the two I mentioned above are not. They sure don't sound like an acoustic piano. In particular, listen to the trill at 13:49 in his solo. It comes off badly and I think that's related to the lack of velocity. To me it sounds like an RMI. The album was recorded in 1968.

Keith Jarrett played an RMI while with Miles (I'm sure he enjoyed it immensely).

Busch.

#2879546 - 09/15/17 06:20 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: tonybanksfan]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: tonybanksfan

Thanks,

Busch.

If you want a Genesis type RMI sound there's no point in buying or leasing the RMI itself. You would need an mxr100 and Boss chorus unit (expensive and rare) to replicate his sound. It's not worth the investment unless you have a diehard need to use authentic equipment. Most players will use modern synths or software to replicate Tony's RMI stuff, much easier to do.

Thanks. I sample commercially. My desire is to create a detailed sampling of the RMI, not to use one personally. I understand this has been done to some degree in the past, but once I do it I own the samples and can do with them as I like. Regarding the FXs, the Kronos (one of my primary vehicles) has several modeled pedals. Based on my best estimation, they are: Small Stone Phaser, Boss CE-1, MXR Phase 90, tc electronic Stereo Chorus+, Dyno My Piano Built it Chorus, MXR Flanger, MXR Dyna Comp, Vox Wah [847 / 848]. So I think I close.

Here's my site: http://www.purgatorycreek.com

Busch.

#2879548 - 09/15/17 06:45 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: burningbusch]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Keith Jarrett played an RMI while with Miles (I'm sure he enjoyed it immensely)."

Maybe Keith can redue the Koln Concert on the RMI? facepalm

#2879555 - 09/15/17 07:23 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: 16251]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Fess!

#2879560 - 09/15/17 07:32 PM Re: Tony Banks, Others...RMI Electrapiano Settings [Re: burningbusch]
tonybanksfan Offline

Loc: canada
Originally Posted By: tonybanksfan

Thanks,

Busch.

Thanks. I sample commercially. My desire is to create a detailed sampling of the RMI, not to use one personally. I understand this has been done to some degree in the past, but once I do it I own the samples and can do with them as I like. Regarding the FXs, the Kronos (one of my primary vehicles) has several modeled pedals. Based on my best estimation, they are: Small Stone Phaser, Boss CE-1, MXR Phase 90, tc electronic Stereo Chorus+, Dyno My Piano Built it Chorus, MXR Flanger, MXR Dyna Comp, Vox Wah [847 / 848]. So I think I close.

Here's my site: http://www.purgatorycreek.com

Busch.

Oh okay gotcha, I've seen your site, carry-on, my bad.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner