Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2878804 - 09/13/17 05:20 AM OT: With All This Talk of Technology...
Synthoid Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
What technology would you like to invent, or at least predict for the future?

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I predicted the music CD as well as digital radio... although my ideas for digital radio also included a "favorite song" search feature. This was long before the Internet.

Anyway, I'd like to see a merging of medical and digital technology into an app that allows the user to "cloak" pain, control allergies, and induce sleep... just for starters. And OK, I realize it would take a great deal of R&D plus AMA approval for such a thing to even begin testing, but it's certainly possible in the distant future. It might even be on the drawing board right now. Obviously this would initially cost a fortune and require surgery.

Hey... they laughed at my digital radio concept back in the 80's but look at what we have now. laugh

What are your ideas?

KC Island
#2878841 - 09/13/17 08:37 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Synthoid]
The Real MC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
A stage rig that loads itself in and out of the truck.

#2878842 - 09/13/17 08:41 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: The Real MC]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
A paycheck.

#2878844 - 09/13/17 08:47 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: MathOfInsects]
timwat Online   content
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
Neuroscience optogenetics that allows mitigation of PTSD, Alzheimer's, dementia and the like.

AI that assists startup founders, consultants, accelerators and incubators to make better decisions to reduce the failure rate of startups and early stage ventures.

Any innovation that mitigates mental illness on behalf of the homeless.

That slot in the C2 vertebrae I've been predicting for years where we would finally plug in our iPhone (or xBox, or PlayStation, or GPS, or...).

Any innovation that assists the fight against slavery (in its many forms) in the world today.

A permutation of social media which would force participants to really listen to advocates from the other side of an issue without rancor, ad hominem or tribalism.

#2878846 - 09/13/17 08:51 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: timwat]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: timwat
A permutation of social media which would force participants to really listen to advocates from the other side of an issue without rancor, ad hominem or tribalism.

You know who else wanted that? HITLER!!

#2878848 - 09/13/17 08:55 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: timwat]
aellison62 Offline

Loc: Ohio
Many times, looking at "future" technology examples in Sci-Fi movies is not all that far off base, as the past has proven. For example, before a biological integration of smart phone/hi tech at the C2 vertebrae occurs (as timwat suggests) I would expect possibly a pair of glasses/goggles that would display visual surroundings with text descriptions/analysis of various kinds along with options to access/manipulate with eye motions(not unlike Iron Man's helmet's display)

#2878854 - 09/13/17 09:06 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: aellison62]
mate stubb Online   content
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I just want my flying car!

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2878858 - 09/13/17 09:29 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'd also like to see a remote control for children. Well, just a simple "mute" app would do when they get too noisy. grin

#2878874 - 09/13/17 10:09 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Synthoid]
drawback Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria, BC Canada
"Beam me, and all my gear, Scotty."

#2878876 - 09/13/17 10:15 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: drawback]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Legalize 420. Change to Schedule 2. Let science take over while I chill. Develop a host of new uses that don't leave patient with worse side effects.

#2878888 - 09/13/17 10:58 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: MathOfInsects]
PianoMan51 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SE NC marsh
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects

You know who else wanted that? HITLER!!

IxNay on the ItlerHay! It's Ilter-Hay. In UsskyRus.

#2878902 - 09/13/17 11:21 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

An easy one:

Being able to save your history with Adobe PhotoShop. Many users have requested this. Sure the file would be huge but come on, at least give us the option. mad

#2878914 - 09/13/17 12:13 PM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Synthoid]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Software, either stand-alone or maybe a browser add-on that lets you type in any word or string of words and get links to all related information.

It boogles the mind that no one has come up with something like this yet idk .

#2878918 - 09/13/17 12:34 PM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Markyboard]
Daniel Wade Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I would love to see a watch that can be used as a phone just like Dick Tracy has. smile

What's that you say honey..............they what!?

Never mind....... Python

Edited by Daniel Wade (09/13/17 12:36 PM)

#2878919 - 09/13/17 12:37 PM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: The Real MC]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
A stage rig that loads itself in and out of the truck.

I was ready to add "virtual roadies" and then I saw your comment smile

Edited by yannis D (09/13/17 12:38 PM)

#2878936 - 09/13/17 02:27 PM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: yannis D]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
This is more about the disadvantages of 'technology' and its pervasive effect on individuals .

Stop( or out in measures) the technology madness of exploiting the Internet.

1) prevent the hacking of our identity , records and exploiting them for sale on the dark web ( without our knowledge)

2) make companies financially liable for being careless with our personal info
our tax records, on the Internet.

I think we should be vigilant and more informed about aspects of 'technology ' but maybe its best to stop here.

Edited by GregC (09/13/17 03:22 PM)

#2878942 - 09/13/17 03:20 PM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: GregC]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Virtual reality concerts with 360 movement and surround sound.

#2879000 - 09/13/17 08:09 PM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: RABid]
Lindaru Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Idaho
As one who believes in the energy of our soul/sentience being the driving force behind our body vehicles, I also believe in the power of reiki.

Why could they not invent a device (like the Star Trek medical scanner/dermal regenerator) that you could run over your body to heal areas in need?

What about nanobots that could work inside your body to repair damage?

Just some ideas I have.

smile

#2879091 - 09/14/17 06:20 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Synthoid]
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2879095 - 09/14/17 06:41 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Markyboard]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Markyboard
Software, either stand-alone or maybe a browser add-on that lets you type in any word or string of words and get links to all related information.

AltaVista not working for you in Netscape? Time to upgrade your modem to 14.4kb.

#2879100 - 09/14/17 06:55 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Markay]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Markay

AltaVista not working for you in Netscape? Time to upgrade your modem to 14.4kb.

Now you're just being silly. I'm already feeding my 802.11g router directly into my 14.4kb modem for optimized transfer speed.

#2879104 - 09/14/17 07:04 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: timwat]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Neuroscience optogenetics that allows mitigation of PTSD, Alzheimer's, dementia and the like.

After having lost my dad from Alzheimer's after 14 years of horrid suffering, *and* my uncle from Parkinson's disease, I can only subcribe. I would add a cure for cancer.

And of course, a sustainable source of energy which wouldn't put mankind in still another dangerous bottleneck.

#2879109 - 09/14/17 07:12 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Markay]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

I miss AltaVista! Case sensitive searches.

And Google too often gives you what it thinks you really meant to ask for, instead of just giving you exactly what you asked for. It's brilliant sometimes, but frustrating other times. And they've made it increasingly hard (or impossible) to do the kinds of boolean queries you used to be able to do, or restrict searches to discussion forums...

As for the technology I most want to see: Something that records our dreams and lets us play them back.

#2879111 - 09/14/17 07:18 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Markyboard]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now you're just being silly. I'm already feeding my 802.11g router directly into my 14.4kb modem for optimized transfer speed.

Wow telnet must work almost instantaneously on that setup.

#2879113 - 09/14/17 07:20 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: AnotherScott]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
As for the technology I most want to see: Something that records our dreams and lets us play them back.

Yes! I have been interested in that for years. thu

And it's being researched right now.

https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-...s-and-play-them

#2879116 - 09/14/17 07:28 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: AnotherScott]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I miss AltaVista! Case sensitive searches.

And Google too often gives you what it thinks you really meant to ask for, instead of just giving you exactly what you asked for. It's brilliant sometimes, but frustrating other times. And they've made it increasingly hard (or impossible) to do the kinds of boolean queries you used to be able to do, or restrict searches to discussion forums...

Yes AltaVista introduced the concept of Boolean operators to the masses.

#2879118 - 09/14/17 07:34 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: Synthoid]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Synthoid

Yes! I have been interested in that for years. thu

And it's being researched right now.

Cool! But the most important thing... it has to record the audio!! I want to hear that music...

The algorithmic recreation idea is interesting, and amazing by itself. But I wonder what additional technology (and processor power) would be needed to record every audio/visual neural firing in the brain, and then retrgigger those same firings while you were conscious...

#2879185 - 09/14/17 10:32 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: AnotherScott]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
A la carte cable TV service instead of bundles. Let folks pick their own channels. grin

At some point in the future, I'm going to divorce the cable company so it will be a moot point. laugh cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2879192 - 09/14/17 10:50 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: ProfD]
Karl Schmeer Offline

Loc: State of Misery
Originally Posted By: ProfD
A la carte cable TV service instead of bundles. Let folks pick their own channels. grin

At some point in the future, I'm going to divorce the cable company so it will be a moot point. laugh cool

You can almost do this. HBO, Showtime among others allow you to
buy just that channel, and watch on an internet connected box. My Apple TV box cost around $100 and works great.
We also have been able to buy selected shows from some channels like SYFY. I don't know if this is a regional thing or not. I am in the Midwest.

#2879203 - 09/14/17 11:06 AM Re: OT: With All This Talk of Technology... [Re: ProfD]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ProfD

I did that at the beginning of 2016. I pay about $100 for internet access, but I can accept that since I use it every day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner