Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil SP6

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

$1295 surprise, surprise.

Will surely be a competitive at this price point with a PX-5S or 560.

Yup. Very happy to have been proven wrong on this one!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Looks very interesting! Especially given my dislike for Nord instruments... :) My main concerns would be the keyboard action and the lack of programmability. If it's programmable via software, wonderful - but I'll wait until I actually put my hands on one. The last time Kurz used a Medeli keybed was on the SP4-7, which was labeled "semi-weighted"... well, although I appreciated the sound, the portability and the UI on that one, I found it impossible to play it 'pianistically' with any degree of control. I hope this one is different.

I've found that Kurzweil has several SP6 YouTube videos... they are all very short - and, in my opinion, rather uninteresting. When there is acoustic piano, it's alarmingly dull, except in one video, where we hear a piano comparable with the Forte.

Kurzweil tells us that their new SP6 packs a new LENA processor, patented FlashPlay technology, 128-voice polyphony and powerful DSP into a highly-portable (27.25lb/12.36kg) stage piano designed for performing artists and studio musicians. This is what they have to say about it...

Its 88 keys offer the fully-weighted, hammer-action feel of an acoustic grand with high-definition piano sounds enhanced by "K.S.R. - Kurzweil String Resonance". Its KB3 ToneReal Organs emulate classic Hammond, Vox and Farfisa models with real-time performance controls. The SP6 features 256 Factory Programs in 10 instrument categories, with space for 1024 User Programs. Users can easily create Split and Layered configurations with up to 4 Zones in Multi Mode.

A simple and intuitive user interface offers quick and customizable access to the SP6's 2 Gigabytes of sounds, 20 MIDI controllers, up to 4 arpeggiators and 32 simultaneous FX units. Access a broad library of programs and tailored sounds from Kurzweil's Forte, Forte SE and PC3 Series. Utilize Mac OS X, Windows PC and iOS editors (available soon) for deeper access to the SP6's powerful VAST engine. Connect to the outside world with USB and MIDI connections, a headphone output and stereo audio outputs with 32-bit DACs.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/09/19/new-kurzweil-stage-piano/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Going to check this board out when it comes out. Want to see how editable VAST is using the editor (available soon). What I don't understand about Kurzweil, this board has 1024 user programs, why not load up those user programs with best of Forte/PC3 instead of leaving them blank. Frankly 256 factory programs, is nothing compared to what the other manufactures provide.

Going to check this board out when it comes out. Want to see how editable VAST is using the editor (available soon). What I don't understand about Kurzweil, this board has 1024 user programs, why not load up those user programs with best of Forte/PC3 instead of leaving them blank. Frankly 256 factory programs, is nothing compared to what the other manufactures provide.

When I worked at Kurz we received a huge number of complaints about 1000 presets in the PC3 being too much. I personally don't agree with this opinion myself - I prefer more and more!

But 256 is in the ball park for what's considered standard in a stage piano like the SP6. Casio PX-5S has 370, Yamaha CP4 has 340, etc.

The large number of user slots is quite helpful though, at least for me. One of the only gripes I have with my trusty (and much loved) PX-5S is that it only has 100 user slots and I have to blow them out to load more sounds. Many of the theater shows that I work on require 400-600 user sounds per keyboard chair. (And unlike samples, presets don't take up much memory, and don't require any software work to speak of to implement.)

Re: people complaining about too many presets... amazing. I suppose it's that or they complain why you don't have enough of a particular instrument, say, PAN FLUTE.

While it's looking like I can't justify a Forte's cost, the SP6 could replace my aging PC3 (based on how I actually USE my PC3) and allow me to retain sounds I just can't let go of.

Super tempting.

I make software noises.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know if the SP6 will be released soon? Musicstore, a big german dealer, says on their homepage, that they will have it in stock at the first of October. Seems to be possible?

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Hi,

I don't work in sales so I don't know if beginning of October will be a reality, but for sure within October/November period. It will depend distributor to distributor which one gets the first units. It's already available in Korea.

BTW, a manual update has been uploaded here:

http://kurzweil.com/product/sp6/downloads/

Regards,

Fran

Yes I work at Kurzweil but opinions here are just mine.

Fran,

Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like the SP6 sends note off velocity, which is nice.

Key for me would be support for PC3 sound import. Not sure how the slider mappings would come across, as it looks like most of the knobs would cover the default program's slider CCs, except I think slider A (CC6)? Also, if the software will let you re-map these, cool.

-John

I make software noises.

The manual shows that, to do a split, you select your RH sound first, then you split and select your LH sound. Is there any way to keep the LH sound the same (say, when playing LH bass) and change the right hand sound on the fly? This is enormously useful for people who play LH bass, so you can keep the bass going while changing from piano to organ to strings or whatever for your RH, and it is a problem I've had ons some other boards that make it difficult or impossible, because of only permitting this to work the opposite way. Do you know if there is some way to do this on the SP6?

Hi,

I don't work in sales so I don't know if beginning of October will be a reality, but for sure within October/November period. It will depend distributor to distributor which one gets the first units. It's already available in Korea.

http://kurzweil.com/product/sp6/downloads/

Regards,

Fran

Yes I work at Kurzweil but opinions here are just mine.

Sweetwater has it listed as 'coming soon.'

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SP6-8

The Kurzweil link posted by the OP showed a keyboard at the top with faders! So for about three minutes I was really excited by the thought of a KB3 engine controlled by faders/drawbars. Then I watched the video - and that bubble burst.

Very, very disappointing to find out it's just knobs.

Oh well...

The Kurzweil link posted by the OP showed a keyboard at the top with faders! So for about three minutes I was really excited by the thought of a KB3 engine controlled by faders/drawbars. Then I watched the video - and that bubble burst.

Check out the Artis7 for that, with a more organ-suitable action as well. Comparably light travel weight.

No 9 sliders, no SP6 for me.

Besides the Artis7 alternative I mentioned above, I'm also thinking that someone who cares enough to have 9-slider control probably wants to play organ from another action even if their "piano board" is the SP6... and if that other board is a controller that has 9 MIDI-assignable sliders, I wonder if you might be able to use them as drawbar controls. I believe all the previous KB3-capable Kurzweils did have the ability to do drawbar adjustments over MIDI (including even the SP4-7), so I'd be surprised if the SP6 does not, though it's not clear from the manual. Though it does say that the 4 knobs do sometimes function as "drawbars" when playing a KB3 program("When a KB3 Organ Program is selected, some of the knobs may perform Organ drawbar functions instead of the functions labeled on the front panel"), and that there is some way to address the settings of all 9 drawbars (feature list includes "KB3 Organ simulations with control of 9 drawbars"). Assuming there is the expected MIDI control, between this and the FA-07, maybe OB Dave will see enough renewed interest in his drawbar module to put it back into production!

Hi,

Splits and Layers: You can start by creating a quick split or layer from an existing program. It will automatically add a second zone. If it is a split, in the left hand, if it is a layer, across the whole keyboard.

BUT, when doing that, it goes to a split/layer quick editor of 3 pages, where you can actually change the programs, key ranges, volumes and pans of the 4 zones. So, if you don't like the auto split point or whatever range it gives you by default you can put it as you want to.

Of course, in Multi Edit mode you can tweak all those things and more, like the Velocity range for each zone, transposition, etc.

The UI is really easy to use as you will see the 4 programs (1 per zone) in one single page, the 4 Key ranges in one single page, etc... super-easy.

And yes, KB3 programs have drawbars in the knobs, either to change them in real time or to modify their value to save them as a new program. The SP6 is not meant to be an organ clone keyboard with the 9 drawbars and all that but, hey, it has KB3 mode, it has 32 units of FXs allowing pretty phenomenal fxs, including leslies, and you can control most of typical parameters like drawbars via the knobs and buttons.

Regards,

Fran

BUT, when doing that, it goes to a split/layer quick editor of 3 pages, where you can actually change the programs, key ranges, volumes and pans of the 4 zones.

This sounds like it has potential! So let's say you've got a simple 2-zone split (bass on bottom) and you want to change the right hand sound. Would you then just go to the line of the Quick Editor that shows the sound assigned to Zone 2, and select another sound, by just pressing one of the ten Category buttons on the right (each of which can have your preferred default sound assigned to it (using the "Select a Category Default Program" feature)? Can the five Favorites buttons also be used to select RH sounds this way, assuming you have assigned a Program (rather than something that is, itself, a Multi) to that button?

Other questions:

If you modify a sound and want to save your modification as a User Program, can you select which category button that program will be stored under? Or can you only save it in the same category as the original sound you were editing? Or don't User programs come up under Categories at all?

Can Multis be selected via MIDI Program Change?

Thanks!

Scott

I'm interested in this axe for sure...every time I've used Kurzweils I've gotten positive responses from musicians. I think it's because of how they sit in the mix (piano sound), but the triple-strike, I couldn't take it... now things are different with the German G. and their new piano samples! Their other sounds are very good!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

What would people think about this as a bottom board v the Roland FA-07, providing the latter is acceptable for piano playing?

I'm looking for something lighter than my current CP4, which is brilliant but I'm on the third floor of our apartment and it's just tipping into 'too heavy' territory.

I have a VR-09 on top and we're playing classic rock covers. I like the idea of the sample pads and sequencer - does the SP6 have any equivalent functionality that's as user-friendly?

(Having said that I'm clueless when it comes to sampling..how would I get say, the orchestra hits from 'Owner of a Lonely Heart' onto those pads?!)

I didn't find Roland FA-07 acceptable for piano playing. If you need sequencer, sample pads on a lighter piano board - you might try Roland FA-08.

I agree, the FA-07 is not very amenable to piano playing. The dead area in the back of the keys is pretty bad. If you want to play piano on a non-hammer action board, you can do much better than this one.

If you need sequencer, sample pads on a lighter piano board - you might try Roland FA-08.

The problem is that the FA-08 is hardly any lighter than his too-heavy CP4 (about 36.5 lbs vs 38.5).

So to answer Marillo's question, I'm pretty confident in saying that the SP6 will be better than the FA-07 as a board to play piano from. But no sample pads or sequencer.

The only lightweight 88 with sequencer and sample pad functions is the Korg Kross 2 at about 27 lbs, same as the SP6 (though about 4.5" longer).

There's likely less expensive, equally powerful boards than an SP6 out there, if someone was considering a 2nd board and didn't ever have need for 9 onboard sliders to emulate drawbars. For me, I have two Artis 7's, set up at a right angle to each other, with the one on my right dedicated 90% of the time to the KB3 organs that I've crafted and saved using my right hand, while the 7 in front of me does primarily APs and layers. The advantage of that over an SP6 IMO is the ability to dedicate the second 7 as an organ but also have the advantage of all those other luscious tones Kurzweil is able to produce in their boards.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Alto TS312 Powered Speakers (2)

Samson 6 channel mixer

There's likely less expensive, equally powerful boards than an SP6 out there, if someone was considering a 2nd board and didn't ever have need for 9 onboard sliders to emulate drawbars.
Whether some less expensive board is equally "powerful" is hard to define, because "powerful" is a nebulous phrase. It's a matter of what features you need, what sounds you like, what action you like, how much weight you're willing to carry, your ergonomic preferences, etc. That Kross 2 is a good case in point. It adds the sequencer and sample pads, and it has more of a display, and has full on-board editing, and it has 16 Favorite locations * 8 banks (vs. just 5 Favorites). OTOH, it has no clonewheel engine, only 2 knobs, 256 mb max of samples (vs. 2 gb), fewer simultaneous effects... what's more powerful? Hard to say.

The Artis7 is a really nice board, at about the same travel weight as the SP6, though of course an entirely different action. Artis7 has the 9 sliders, a lot more patch recall buttons, bigger screen, front panel EQ... SP6 has the bigger, updated sound set and some other newer enhancements.

My reference to "powerful" is relative as it might be applied to boards that would generally compete with the SP6 from the perspective of a consumer. As I have referenced previously on this site, posters' opinions of what's good, bad or ugly are subjective--rooted in whatever predisposition or expectation each of us has, and have to be taken with a a grain of salt.

Kurzweil PC4-7

Kurzweil Artis 7

Alto TS312 Powered Speakers (2)

Samson 6 channel mixer