Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2878688 - 09/12/17 03:03 PM Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X
ElmerJFudd Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

NU1X

Traditional sensibility meets modern practicality - A sleek and compact AvantGrand that transcends convention and blurs the lines between acoustic and digital.

The superb natural feel of a real piano action
CFX and Bösendorfer Imperial piano samples
CFX Binaural sampling
VRM (Virtual Resonance Modeling)
GP Response Damper Pedal
Alluring elegance that complements any room
USB Audio Recorder
Built-in Bluetooth for wireless connection to Smart Device

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/avantgrand/nu1x/index.html

KC Island
#2878696 - 09/12/17 03:20 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Aw man, don't at all dig that upright action on the NU1. I wish they would've worked their way down from the N3X to the N2X, N1X and then this. Mainly because I'd like to see reduced pricing on remaining N2 stock.

Maybe because of lowest price point , they went with this first. Sure sounds good though. Maybe the player connection is better because of the new sample and improved ( ?) internal speakers.

But then in the last shot they show all the models together. So who knows what's up.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2878702 - 09/12/17 03:33 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: Dave Ferris]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not able to find complete spec sheet yet... Confused... Is this the AvantGrand action or a modified upright action based on the NU1? Maybe just the form factor/case finish are based on the NU1?

#2878707 - 09/12/17 03:49 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: Dave Ferris]
mate stubb Online   content
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Aw man, don't at all dig that upright action on the NU1.

+1000. Let's see: you go to all that trouble, expense, and weight, to put a real piano action in, then don't even use the best class of action. Gaaaa!

I don't see how an upright action is less expensive, mechanically simpler, or even more compact than a grand action. But it sure is less responsive. facepalm

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2878718 - 09/12/17 04:27 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: mate stubb]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
Aw man, don't at all dig that upright action on the NU1.

+1000. Let's see: you go to all that trouble, expense, and weight, to put a real piano action in, then don't even use the best class of action. Gaaaa!

I don't see how an upright action is less expensive, mechanically simpler, or even more compact than a grand action. But it sure is less responsive. facepalm

I also agree that upright action is not that great and making it a selling point is kind of weird. On the other hand, digital samples are maybe more responsive than the real thing. I sold my Steinway K for an N2 and besides being sick of upright action for most of my life, I also didn't notice much change to timbre like on a grand but the samples on N1x have enough strike zones, then you might be able to bring that out, even with upright action.

#2878725 - 09/12/17 04:44 PM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: 16251]
MP Hall of Fame Member

If anything this is Yamaha offering a digital alternative as a lessons instrument for folks that would probably have bought an NU1 over a CLP out of concern the action on a digital Isn't piano-like enough. Yet on the other hand, liking the idea of little to no maintenance and no tuning.

#2878798 - 09/13/17 04:28 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: ElmerJFudd]
jverghese Offline

Hi,

There's more detail here:

http://www.newscenter1.tv/story/36269275...digital-upright

Apparently it's more than just a facelift (along with new samples):

"...the NU1X delivers with a real acoustic upright hammer action that is far more grand-like in its response than that of the NU1, or indeed, of any digital piano on the market today. Dynamic sensitivity in response to softly played passages is improved, as is smoothness of key return for fast or repeating runs and trills."

The sound system is supposed to have undergone some changes too, which is welcome, since the NU1's is pretty underwhelming for a $5000 instrument.

-joachim

#2878822 - 09/13/17 07:10 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: jverghese]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
A lot of words. Probably will be able to feel and hear if it's a good upgrade and desirable to own within 15-20 seconds, maybe less . Less time then it took to read the article.

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

#2878830 - 09/13/17 07:39 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: jverghese]
16251 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: jverghese
Hi,

There's more detail here:

http://www.newscenter1.tv/story/36269275...digital-upright

Apparently it's more than just a facelift (along with new samples):

"...the NU1X delivers with a real acoustic upright hammer action that is far more grand-like in its response than that of the NU1, or indeed, of any digital piano on the market today. Dynamic sensitivity in response to softly played passages is improved, as is smoothness of key return for fast or repeating runs and trills."

The sound system is supposed to have undergone some changes too, which is welcome, since the NU1's is pretty underwhelming for a $5000 instrument.

-joachim

Anyone thinking of buying this should compare digital pianos, which have actions more like grands than uprights. I know DP actions don't look like grands but they do use gravity, which for the most part is better than a spring to get hammer back to starting point.

#2878904 - 09/13/17 11:30 AM Re: Yamaha AvantGrand NU1X [Re: 16251]
jverghese Offline

The greatest shortcoming of the average DP action is not so much the action itself, it's the over-simplified key scanning/sensing technology used. There's only so much you can do with those dual bubble contacts.

The continuous sensing used in the AGs has potential, but I'm not sure Yamaha utilises it to the full.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner